"HoT is not an expansion."

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

Where are all those naysayers now? I just logged in to see how wrong those people were.

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Ive been sayin there will be an expansion for years and shot down with stuff like “GW doesnt have expansions” lol. We need a thread of shame for these people. blah!

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Lol just because you got what you want doesn’t discredit all the people who have listened to ANet who have up until this point made clear statements that they weren’t aiming for expansions.

Posted by: Marauding Scum.6728

Marauding Scum.6728

get kittened negative nancy

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Where are all those naysayers now? I just logged in to see how wrong those people were.

Actually what I said was I’ll believe it when I see it and I stand by that statement even now. The glimpse of the two handed hammer wielding engineer with mobile turrets has me excited but I’m smart enough to know that it might not make it into the game considering the launch.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

I never said there wouldn’t be an expansion, I preached hold the train until we know the destination, and now we do, I say.. LET HER RIP!!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But there are people who said straight out that Anet didn’t have people working on anything in the background and that there’d be no expansion.

I doubt many of them are going to post here to admit they were dead wrong.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Meh, that’s not an expansion. In my day we had real expansions. This is just a better content release that you probably have to pay for.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Meh, that’s not an expansion. In my day we had real expansions. This is just a better content release that you probably have to pay for.

It depends on the MMO really. If going by WoW standards, then it does seem kinda small if we’re talking about zones. With HoT, there’s going to be one region, with 3 biomes (basically vertical layered zones?). How many zones will be in Maguuma Jungle though?

Some expansions release a new class, so is GW2. Some release new skills, and so is GW2. These are pretty typical for expansions, without the mention of a new race. We’re getting new specs and new masteries, which is typical of other MMO expansions.

The disappointing thing though is no new mention of dungeons, and only one pvp map with a new game mode, from what we know so far. In other expansions, there’s multiple new dungeons and pvp maps. This is probably going to disappoint so many people.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

But there are people who said straight out that Anet didn’t have people working on anything in the background and that there’d be no expansion.

+1

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Of course not, they are too busy trying to scrounge up the funds to buy the expansion to post right now. Don’t be surprised when they come back with the good ol, “No True Scotsman,” argument that HoT isn’t a, “real,” expansion later though.

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Lol just because you got what you want doesn’t discredit all the people who have listened to ANet who have up until this point made clear statements that they weren’t aiming for expansions.

what the kitten are you talkin about? They always said the don’t want to exclude the possibility of an addon, but that they currently don’t have any plans for such.

That was about 1.5 years ago. Since then colling also stated, that the manifesto was a mistake cuz (most probably guys like you) nailed them down for everything they said – that’s why they abandoned their idea of any manifesto or “road ahead” posts and issued their “it’s done when it’s done” policy and won’t release and info until they are 100% sure, they will implement things into the game.

So calm down and get on the hype train…sounds amazing what they’ve announced today!!! :-)

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

But if we are talking about GW expansions, then map wise, it is tiny….

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

HE also said it was the “first” expansion so…

Second expansion confirmed.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

What are you talking about? At least two of those people have posted on this very thread, trying to perform damage control on themselves.

Its not very effective.

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Don’t forget the z-axis we have in that game. Dry Top and Silverwastes appear small on the world map, but with all those areas on top and below and each between, this would be a kittenload larger if they’d spread it just into a flat area. And in the video it appeared to be even more an explitation of the z-axis

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

We don’t have any idea of how large it will be. They only said 1 regions, with 3 biomes. So we could be expecting something as large as the Kryta or Ascalon regions.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

It is a solid DLC. One like that each 6 months would make me happy. Hope the next DLC won’t take 3 another years to devellop, and that they have a team that works on a real expansion. They must did something since launch. What are they working on ?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

It depends on the MMO really. If going by WoW standards, then it does seem kinda small if we’re talking about zones. With HoT, there’s going to be one region, with 3 biomes (basically vertical layered zones?). How many zones will be in Maguuma Jungle though?

Some expansions release a new class, so is GW2. Some release new skills, and so is GW2. These are pretty typical for expansions, without the mention of a new race. We’re getting new specs and new masteries, which is typical of other MMO expansions.

The disappointing thing though is no new mention of dungeons, and only one pvp map with a new game mode, from what we know so far. In other expansions, there’s multiple new dungeons and pvp maps. This is probably going to disappoint so many people.

Because other expansions are about gear-grind and you have to get the new gear from the new dungeons in which there MUST be new dungeons.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Is maguma jungle really big enough to be an expansion? I guess we’ll find out but I would expect expansion to be like cantha or elona adding elite dungeons that have parties of ten (2 groups of 5). Its better than nothing. Theres alot of room in current tyria map for new zones that existed in original gw1. At this rate we may see cantha in a couple of years. It just feels like its rolling out too slowly. At this pace it will be a 10 year game to get about same content we had in GW1.

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

If you played DAOC back in the day, you’d recognize the formula. They never ever raised the level cap with expansions either. It was to add new areas, and there probably will be a few better or at least different pieces of gear or sigils etc to grind for. nothing you need but some people will decide they need it, or just to be complete.

Also a new class, sometimes new race, etc

Also some horizontal leveling on top of the basic 50 levels, like champion levels, master levels (sound familiar?) and rvr ranks.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It is a solid DLC. One like that each 6 months would make me happy. Hope the next DLC won’t take 3 another years to devellop, and that they have a team that works on a real expansion. They must did something since launch. What are they working on ?

Eh, I guess some people are simply unable to be happy with anything. We get an expansion and now we’re already seeing people trying to un-expansion-ise it. Well I guess that’s somewhat understandable since we’ve not been given a lot of details regarding the size of the new areas, but have some faith.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Personally I never said there would never be an expansion.. heck I have been asking for one for like two years hear, but I do think it’s late (for some things to late) and I still would prefer more regular expansions then once every 3? year. Yeah I still stick to that story. Give me an expansion a year and then minimize the cash-shop.

But anyway, if we would really want to play the shame game we could also start pointing out towards the people who said we would not need an expansion because Anet would be able to deliver everything with the LS as they initial wanted to. Well now even Anet seem to have come back on that one.

Or we could start pointing towards people saying an expansion would very likely raise the level cap “I’m pretty sure they will raise the level cap with an expansion. And I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal….but yeah, there are definitely pros and cons associated with it.
Hopefully it won’t come with a new tier of gear though.”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Will-level-cap-raise/page/2#post4536147

But what is the point? People where making suggestions based on the information they did get and maybe Anet even changed they might half way (so those people where right). What matters is how the game can improve. An expansion is a step in the right direction imho but that alone is not enough to get the game back where it imo should be.

Ashen.2907

Or we could start pointing towards people saying an expansion would very likely raise the level cap “I’m pretty sure they will raise the level cap with an expansion. And I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal….but yeah, there are definitely pros and cons associated with it.
Hopefully it won’t come with a new tier of gear though.”

Saying that a level cap increase would be done through an expansion is not the same as saying that this expansion will have a level cap increase.

We still do not know if Anet will raise the level cap with an expansion. We do know that Anet has said that they will not raise the level cap with THIS expansion.

Personally I hope they do not. The interesting thing about an alternate advancement system such as Masteries seem to be is that they can be added to over time.

Yamsandjams.3267

Guys, they weren’t trying to be “naysayers”. They were just helping you suppress your expectations so you could be even more excited when the news confirmed your suspicions, and then you could come back on the forums and tell them off in triumphant fashion.

So really, they were on your side the whole time while trying to increase your excitement over the expansion, setting themselves up to be “bad guys” that you would defeat.

But do get hype responsibly is all I’ll say.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Guys, they weren’t trying to be “naysayers”. They were just helping you suppress your expectations so you could be even more excited when the news confirmed your suspicions, and then you could come back on the forums and tell them off in triumphant fashion.

So really, they were on your side the whole time while trying to increase your excitement over the expansion, setting themselves up to be “bad guys” that you would defeat.

But do get hype responsibly is all I’ll say.

Nah, there were a few who were stating that it was fact that we weren’t getting one.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

SCREW THIS THREAD. WHERE IS THE PRE-ORDER LINK. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Don’t forget the z-axis we have in that game. Dry Top and Silverwastes appear small on the world map, but with all those areas on top and below and each between, this would be a kittenload larger if they’d spread it just into a flat area. And in the video it appeared to be even more an explitation of the z-axis

It’s still small, considering an expansion sized map(s), especially of GW1, could take an hour or two to run through it all with builds specifically made for movement, yet in GW2 it would take like 30 minutes tops (if there aren’t any hindering events) for both dry top and silverwastes combined.

If you want to talk about Z axis, then its sort of not fair either. Technically, I could have an infinitely tall room that is only 2×2 meters and say “there’s so much space!” but the actually field of play is pretty much 2×2.

So for this, like they said at PAX, you’d have to use the playing fields they described: The top, the ground, and the underground. Using Dry Top and Silverwastes as an example, most of the top area of Silverwastes is for achievement climbs only, and the underground is basically just a jumping puzzle and nothing more. Dry top underground has very little to it.

So yes, those two areas are also small. But lets say silverwastes, as a whole, has equal playing field on both the top, ground, and underground portions. This would mean that it would only be as big as about 3/4 of Brisban Wildlands ground level. In reality, its more like less than 2/5th.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I said I was sceptical it would be a traditional expansion, because Anet like to do things differently.

I don’t mind admitting I was wrong. It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well they got one thing right, it’s not cantha nor elona

Ashen.2907

I said I was sceptical it would be a traditional expansion, because Anet like to do things differently.

I don’t mind admitting I was wrong. It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last.

I honestly did not think that it would be a traditional expansion either. The reference to a new way to expand a game universe (or something to that effect) had me thinking that it would be something else entirely. I was wrong. HoT is a very traditional expansion with a GW2 spin on some of the details.

Yamsandjams.3267

Well, I wouldn’t even call it a “traditional” expansion. No level cap increase, no new tiers of gear, no new continent al a GW1 expansions… I’d say it isn’t a “traditional” expansion, but an expansion nonetheless.

Although, one could then argue what the meaning of expansion is. I mean, each LS update is technically an expansion, but we don’t really call those expansions. I guess it perhaps becomes an “expansion” when the content is boxed or has to be paid for?

Posted by: kankanKk.2748

kankanKk.2748

Those content are what they promised to give us before end of the 2013.
New profession, weapon, legendary, precursor.
It were two years late, but better late than never.

Yamsandjams.3267

Those content are what they promised to give us before end of the 2013.
New profession, weapon, legendary, precursor.
It were two years late, but better late than never.

Well, technically they don’t promise anything, they just say that they’re always considering ideas and such.

I do agree that it’s been a bit of a long wait though… and yes, better late than never.

Mind you, one could say the same thing about FFXIV, but I would personally be a happier person if that game had just never existed in the first place.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Well, I wouldn’t even call it a “traditional” expansion. No level cap increase, no new tiers of gear, no new continent al a GW1 expansions… I’d say it isn’t a “traditional” expansion, but an expansion nonetheless.

Although, one could then argue what the meaning of expansion is. I mean, each LS update is technically an expansion, but we don’t really call those expansions. I guess it perhaps becomes an “expansion” when the content is boxed or has to be paid for?

It’s not traditional because level cap and equipment tier increases have no place in gw2.
This is a large injection of both new things to do in the game as well as new places to do them, for a cost (likely). That’s an expansion.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Because other expansions are about gear-grind and you have to get the new gear from the new dungeons in which there MUST be new dungeons.

It’s not really about gear. It’s about the experience within dungeons, grouping, bosses, stories, leveling, and so much more.. That to me sounds like progression, which isn’t necessarily about levels. But if we want to discuss gear, at least those expansions will offer new designs for dungeon gear, although not always.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Oh I’ll admit it. I was dead wrong if you want to call what’s coming an expansion. Is there a problem saying your were dead wrong about making a prediction in a video game? Are egos that fragile because some stranger made a thread that said, “Nah, nah, nah. I was right!”

Is this the kitten-shaming thread?

Keep in mind, for the longest, the developers themselves said they weren’t working on an expansion until January of last year. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon or words to that effect. So the evidence pointed in the direction they stated. Apparently, within the year after, they decided the demand for an ‘expansion’ was too great to ignore. And I’m more than happy to buy the ‘expansion’ so I can play a druid.

Personally, and feel free to flame me for it, but I really do get the feeling this ‘expansion’ is just getting package that way and is anything but.

Still, that’s another topic.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Given that it took nearly three years to develop HoT (as they said), I just hope there’s enough content to back it all up.

I’m still totally getting it, though, even though the Tengu appear to be sidelined yet again. (prepares wallet) Here’s hoping they show their feathery butts later!

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Keep in mind, for the longest, the developers themselves said they weren’t working on an expansion until January of last year. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon or words to that effect. So the evidence pointed in the direction they stated.

Apparently, saying this makes you an expansion denier.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

@Ardenwolfe The salt is real?

Whats not expansiony about it for you? Regardless of the details, ‘cus that’s gonna change a lot. But apparently you have made up your mind already.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Ardenwolfe.8590

Keep in mind, for the longest, the developers themselves said they weren’t working on an expansion until January of last year. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon or words to that effect. So the evidence pointed in the direction they stated.

Apparently, saying this makes you an expansion denier.

But I’m flattered certain posters remembered me. We have some history.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

That’s what an expansion is…
Admit it, you were wrong.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Ardenwolfe.8590

@Ardenwolfe The salt is real?

Whats not expansiony about it for you? Regardless of the details, ‘cus that’s gonna change a lot. But apparently you have made up your mind already.

I’m not familiar with that phrase, but I’ll guess it’s sarcasm. Still, there’s another thread that details the answer to your question elsewhere with some insight posts.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Where-is-the-anti-expansion-crowd-now/page/2#post4724341

Don’t want to derail this delightful thread.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

No need to quote or name call, please. There were a lot of people who didn’t believe we’d ever do an XP, who believed that Heart of Thorns wouldn’t be one, or any combination of other beliefs. They were mistaken, but they were entitled to present their opinions then as they may present them now.

And I admit, I saw a post or three building up to announcement and thought how nice it would be to come back and say “Oh ye of little faith” or “Ya gotta believe in the team” or any number of other such things.

But I have risen above such base impulses and I invite you to do the same.

Because this is all a bit off-topic now, we’ll close.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)