HoT masterys in PoF maps

HoT masterys in PoF maps

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crystal Black.8190

Crystal Black.8190

Hello

Please dont forget the existing movement masterys in PoF maps.
While PoF is its own expansion and not all will necessarily have HoT and its masterys probably most of us will.
So please dont forget to add some updrafts, mushrooms oakhearts essence etc. here and there to provide an alternative way to mounts to reach some locations.
For example i missed updrafts in the hydra canyon during the demo weekend.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

I have a fear that they will. The moment they said stand-alone expansion, the first thought I had was bye bye HoT masteries. It would be great to have some difficult to get areas that require updrafts or mushrooms but I’m almost convinced that it will be all mount-related which is a shame and a wasted opportunity.

I mean, Just because it’s stand-alone doesn’t mean that everyone needs to get everything. It would be great motivation for people to get HoT instead of just the latest the greatest. They always said the mastery system was a way of character progression, but I don’t see the progression if we just leave everything we learned behind after every expansion.

(edited by Cosbuster.4379)

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

so that having oakheart essence and lava thermal tube mastery and other masteries specific to HoT zones to be a must have outside of HoT maps? in PoF zones? no thanks :>

i’m glad i don’t have to train up those specific niche masteries that were only ever used in LW maps for PoF.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

I mean, Just because it’s stand-alone doesn’t mean that everyone needs to get everything.

So let’s say you don’t own HoT, but PoF.
You paid for that expansion.
Wouldn’t it be a shame to not have access to 100% of it, despite having paid the full price?

I mean I do understand that some – or most – players would like to make use of their HoT masteries in PoF.
But a standalone expansion should stay a standalone expansion. Everything else wouldn’t be fair to those who don’t own HoT.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Cosbuster.4379

I mean, Just because it’s stand-alone doesn’t mean that everyone needs to get everything.

So let’s say you don’t own HoT, but PoF.
You paid for that expansion.
Wouldn’t it be a shame to not have access to 100% of it, despite having paid the full price?

I mean I do understand that some players would like to make use of the masteries they worked for.
But a standalone expansion should stay a standalone expansion. Everything else wouldn’t be fair to those who don’t own HoT.

I don’t see the problem with some optional hard-to-reach masteries that require updrafts etc. which are always more than required anyway. Yes, you paid for the expansion and you can do everything else in it but in the end, it’s an MMO, there’s years of character progression involved, there’s no avoiding that.

Is it really worth throwing everything previously aquired away so that people that just got the latest expansion feel they have everything? In the future they will also feel their own progress being sacrificed for the new batch of players. I personally don’t feel that sacrificing the long-term for the short-term is worth it, it does damage to the game.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Hyrai.8720

The “problem” is, that ANet already advertsied PoF as standalone.
So there’s basically no way back.
I’m pretty sure they thought about connecting PoF to HoT in some way. But then decided not to do so – for whatever reason they might have.

What I’m saying is that I would be kittened if I purchased a standalone expansion and couldn’t play all of it.
And I would have every right to be, whether gw2 is a MMO,FPS or whatever other genre you can imagine.

Also, how do you know that this strategy does damage to the game?
Maybe it attracts more new players, doing exactly the opposite in the long term.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

so that having oakheart essence and lava thermal tube mastery and other masteries specific to HoT zones to be a must have outside of HoT maps? in PoF zones? no thanks :>

i’m glad i don’t have to train up those specific niche masteries that were only ever used in LW maps for PoF.

Not must have, but instead, an alternative way to get to certain locations.

Like adding some lay-line energy or updrift in certain sections that’re not linked to Hero points/ mastery points.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Cosbuster.4379

Also, how do you know that this strategy does damage to the game?
Maybe it attracts more new players, doing exactly the opposite than damaging it?

Is attracting new players worth giving the middle finger to those that have been supporting you for 5 years? Because that’s how I feel. If you throw my progress every time out of the window, it makes me less likely to continue playing/buying, much like the “new” player will feel the same when the next expansion hits.

Is it actually damaging? Nobody knows yet, we’ll see in a few years.

Edit: Standalone means you can play it without HoT, it does not state that there can’t be optional content where HoT masteries are required.

(edited by Cosbuster.4379)

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

PoF could feature some of HoT’s masteries, but they would have to be entirely optional. You could either do a jumping puzzle or use an updraft, which they did in Bitterfrost for example to reach a vista. Some masteries are too specialized however, like most of season 3’s, and will probably never be seen again. Some will simply be redone, like how tubes are v2 wallows.

The problem with using HoT’s masteries however is that it’ll be confusing for those simply buying and playing through PoF. Some will also be mad about it, when they find out grinding through HoT is required to access shortcuts in PoF. The expansions after PoF are going to be the bigger problem however, because mounts are too big of a deal to ignore.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The expansions after PoF are going to be the bigger problem however, because mounts are too big of a deal to ignore.

I’m curious about the impact of PoF masteries (Mounts) on HoT content, HoT is also standalone and players that only own HoT shouldn’t be compelled to buy PoF to make traveling around HoT easier, the same argument as for using HoT masteries in PoF.
For example, will the Springer make bouncing mushrooms obsolete? Some mushrooms propel you really high so it’s unlikely for those, but what about all the others?

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

PoF could feature some of HoT’s masteries, but they would have to be entirely optional. You could either do a jumping puzzle or use an updraft, which they did in Bitterfrost for example to reach a vista. Some masteries are too specialized however, like most of season 3’s, and will probably never be seen again. Some will simply be redone, like how tubes are v2 wallows.

The problem with using HoT’s masteries however is that it’ll be confusing for those simply buying and playing through PoF. Some will also be mad about it, when they find out grinding through HoT is required to access shortcuts in PoF. The expansions after PoF are going to be the bigger problem however, because mounts are too big of a deal to ignore.

Why would they be mad because not able to do optional contents like short-cut?

Think it this way, Mounts are most likely be able to use in HoT maps as well, and those mounts will trivialize some of the contents in HoT map too.
So would people who ONLY purchased HoT and ignore PoF start complaining about missing the short-cut through mounts?

Since Mount can trivialize HoT map in a sense too, it’d be fair that HoT masteries should be able to trivialize some contents in PoF too.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Posted by: Lorenz.8905

Lorenz.8905

Only if HoT masteries are locked until all PoF masteries are learned.

HoT masterys in PoF maps

Hyrai.8720

Gliding trivializes a lot of core-tyria content, especially JPs, too.
Are players who don’t own HoT mad about that?
I’m pretty sure they’re not.

You wanna know what the difference is?
New content trivializing old content is not the same as old content trivializing new content.