Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tifa.6473

Tifa.6473

Anet please re-release the Holographic shattered dragon wings so players that bought the game after they were released can have a chance to get a pair please.

Tifa
Reaper
Everything she touched crumbled to dust.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

And those who accidentally lost them as well, please.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

They should not rerelease old items in my opinion.

It is a symbol of how long someone has been playing and that they were able to get it.

Now if you lost them my mistake then yes you should be able to get more

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

It is a symbol of how long someone has been playing and that they were able to get it.

Not re-releasing items only decreases the games longevity. You are putting an expiration date on games that are not new player friendly. Why would players want to come into a game only to find they have missed 5, 10, 15 years worth of stuff they will never be able to have? They would be right to think they already missed the boat and should either play a game that does not do that or a game that just started so they have a chance to enjoy all of the content everyone else enjoys as well. The benefits do not outweigh the harm done to the game long term of having items in the game that new players will never be able to obtain. I would rather have new players joining keeping the game fresh instead of having the game die. People should not forget that players do not HAVE to play your game, you want to give them reasons to CHOOSE your game over others, otherwise your game dies while they are playing games that gave them more reasons to play them.

ALSO, Birthday rewards are great vet rewards, new players will get them eventually, but may never actually catch up to vets getting them first. Vets will ALWAYS have more birthday rewards due to them having more birthdays.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Hopefully the worst case scenario for these and all the other currently unavailable LS1 items is that they will come back, with the original method of acquisition, when Season 1 is re-added. The problem is we have no idea when that will be, except that it’ll be a long time in the future.

However I agree completely that they should come back. Many other Season 1 items were added to the festival vendor in Lion’s Arch, including many of the meta-achievement rewards, which is what the shattered holo wings were, so it makes no sense to me that these and a few others were excluded.

And in case anyone’s wondering I already have them, and use them on my main character, so this isn’t me whining that I couldn’t be bothered to get them and now want an easier option. It’s me saying I feel horrible every time someone asks how to get them and I have to say they can’t. I’d rather everyone who likes them and wants to use them could get them the same way I did (playing through the equivalent of 1 Living Story chapter and spamming some consumables) than have people miss out so others can imagine they’re special because they happened to be playing during that month.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know. Guild Wars had items that were ‘had to be there’. It didn’t seem to chase off the player population.

Of course, after the game went into (or neared) maintenance-mode, those items became available to everyone, but that was after about 6-7? years, I believe.

It doesn’t really matter, that much, to me, either way; I don’t believe keeping items somewhat exclusive kills the game, though.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Not re-releasing items only decreases the games longevity. You are putting an expiration date on games that are not new player friendly. Why would players want to come into a game only to find they have missed 5, 10, 15 years worth of stuff they will never be able to have? They would be right to think they already missed the boat and should either play a game that does not do that or a game that just started so they have a chance to enjoy all of the content everyone else enjoys as well. The benefits do not outweigh the harm done to the game long term of having items in the game that new players will never be able to obtain. I would rather have new players joining keeping the game fresh instead of having the game die. People should not forget that players do not HAVE to play your game, you want to give them reasons to CHOOSE your game over others, otherwise your game dies while they are playing games that gave them more reasons to play them.

ALSO, Birthday rewards are great vet rewards, new players will get them eventually, but may never actually catch up to vets getting them first. Vets will ALWAYS have more birthday rewards due to them having more birthdays.

Yea we totaly love our lvl 20 boost scrolls that dont stack with previous years

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Yea we totaly love our lvl 20 boost scrolls that dont stack with previous years

LOL… Now WHAT they give you for your birthdays should be improved, just the method of having birthday rewards is the best way to reward vets as far as I am concerned. Of course, they can give us better presents though. XD

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I wouldn’t see a real gamer not play a game because they can’t get a cosmetic only back piece that has no effect on the game

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Anet please re-release the Holographic shattered dragon wings so players that bought the game after they were released can have a chance to get a pair please.

NO!

Those wings are probably the only thing that have a kind of prestige status.

You can buy everything in GW2 but the wings are one of the few Skins that cant be bought. If I think about it, they are probably the only skin that cant be bought (except the skins that are unlocked via AP and Karma skins)

So…

NO RE-RELEASE!

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Absolutely NOT ! I have 9,3k hours played! I, just as people like me, DESERVE to have something which will show how long we,ve been playing ! There are very few items that show since when are we in the game … that’s also why I’m against Bunny Ears being added back to gemstore.
Only achievements showing that is not enough, people don’t see them unless they party with you or add you to friends.

Except they don’t show that at all. I have just over 2,000 hours in the game and I’ve got them. People with less than 100 hours could have them.

The only thing they prove is that back in August 2013 you completed 8 achievements. That’s it. You may associate them with other activities from before or after, but they don’t prove you did that to anyone but you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Linken.6345

I wouldn’t see a real gamer not play a game because they can’t get a cosmetic only back piece that has no effect on the game

But this is fashion wars 2 dident you know that?

Linken.6345

Absolutely NOT ! I have 9,3k hours played! I, just as people like me, DESERVE to have something which will show how long we,ve been playing ! There are very few items that show since when are we in the game … that’s also why I’m against Bunny Ears being added back to gemstore.
Only achievements showing that is not enough, people don’t see them unless they party with you or add you to friends.

Except they don’t show that at all. I have just over 2,000 hours in the game and I’ve got them. People with less than 100 hours could have them.

The only thing they prove is that back in August 2013 you completed 8 achievements. That’s it. You may associate them with other activities from before or after, but they don’t prove you did that to anyone but you.

Yea I played 3k hours but dident get them since my computer was in for repair july to early september =(

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

in my opinions this is something extremely selfish to say, and before anyone acuse me as one of the ppl wanting these back it comes from someone who has both the shatterer,tequall and mad king backpacks

im in favor of these items being re available to players who missed, but in spite to us who worked our achivements and played the events toward them, i agree they should atleast be extremely hard or lenghty to get, like a lenghty crafting recipe, not as lenghty as legendary crafting, but still something hard enough that would take several weeks to gather. that way they will still show the effort (vet players who won then) or dedication (new players who went trough the lenghty crafting progress; can easily see the shatterer wings recipe requiring something like 200+ charged lodestones to craft) it was gone trough to obtain

besides, dont we allready have the achivement points system to show how much time we been playing? or you just dont want them added so you can have something to show off around?

Attachments:

(edited by Tora.7214)

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

DO NOT bring back old items…..If you weren’t there to get them then oh well sorry for you. I have collected every hat/mask and back item etc since beta/launch and think they should be left unattainable for later players. They messed up GW1 with allowing players to get items from 05-06 and I’d hate to see it happen in GW2 as well. Yes, we have the right to be proud of “having been there” by having the items and keeping them exclusive. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Exactly right.

I wear the Mad Memoires frequently, and does that tell people how much time and effort I’ve put into the game, or just when I started? Especially considering HoT is likely to bring dormant players back after a long absence.

There’s still value to “I was there!” rewards, as an incentive to do content when it comes out and as a nostalgia trigger, but let’s not confuse it for something it’s not. It tells people some very specific things, not how much of an “old school vet” you are. If it was a difficult prize or title to pick up, that tells others you were capable of completing that content, but many items (Holo. Shattered Wings) don’t really fall into that category.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet has made it possible to obtain nearly every item that originally required having to be at the right place in the right time. There are so few exceptions that it provides a sort of nostalgia connection for those who have the item.

I do not think ANet needs to make it easy nor possible for every collector in the game to get every novelty or skin ever released, as long as they don’t add more than a few of such items each year.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

ANet has made it possible to obtain nearly every item that originally required having to be at the right place in the right time. There are so few exceptions that it provides a sort of nostalgia connection for those who have the item.

I do not think ANet needs to make it easy nor possible for every collector in the game to get every novelty or skin ever released, as long as they don’t add more than a few of such items each year.

This is basically my stance on it. If it’s supposed to feel like a living world where things can change permanently, then it’s going to be possible to miss out on things. I think that’s just the nature of the beast.

Generally, I want people to be able to get everything they want, one way or another, but I think it’s reasonable to have some items that are unobtainable. (There’s also the possibility of doing variations, like Shattered wings in another color, or when they introduced Desert Rose as an alternative Fervid Censer.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I earned these, but they aren’t unlocked in my wardrobe for reasons unknown, I was pretty sure I unlocked them in the PvP locker instead of PvE. What about us, because I’m assuming I’m not the only one who earned them and doesn’t have this priviledge of using the item whenever. Prestige is an imagined thing, AP is enough to be able to see how long some has been playing.
I have a few items that aren’t obtainable anymore that I still use (Bunny Ears, full Stalwart but mainly the shoulders I use), but I’ll welcome when they bring them back because telling people they can’t obtain them all the time is annoying. Stop thinking because you have some form of pixel that other people shouldn’t be able to have them either.

Kitten.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I already have these wings. Others gaining access would not diminish my own shattered holo wings what so ever. A free account bound skin doesn’t have any added value to me if others can’t have it. It’ll still work or not work with an outfit either way. Seems rather selfish to me that some one would deny some one else the use of an untradeable free skin because their ego apparently depends on it.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Yea I played 3k hours but dident get them since my computer was in for repair july to early september =(

Your computer was in for repair for 3 months? I find that unlikely and am going to call bullkitten.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

As with all these type of skins, wanting is nicer then having. People wanted Belinda sword, people wanted countess anise armor. How many people you see using either? These wings we achieved in mass and yet you just don’t see that many people using them anymore.

My suggestion, create a look you can currently create. In 3months you will get sick of it and move on. Re-introducing skins isn’t going to change that.

Posted by: seth.7981

seth.7981

I have the game since the start, unfortunately, had to stop playing for sometime because of work and lost part of the content to get those wings.. me and many other long time players want another opportunity to get those wings.. don’t think new players shouldn’t have an opportunity too.. so, I agree, put then back in game.

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Those wings sorta suck but idc if you bring them back. I’m honestly all for bringing stuff back such as old discontinued gem store skins prior to the wardrobe and maybe old achievement skins but of course you need to do the achievements to get it. I’d also like to see some more skins like the jetpack get re-circulated, I know you put more of the Halloween skins back in and some of the packs with that last Jubilee or whatever but its always good to bring back more so that the don’t completely disappear from the trading post.

Säïnt

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I already have these wings. Others gaining access would not diminish my own shattered holo wings what so ever. A free account bound skin doesn’t have any added value to me if others can’t have it. It’ll still work or not work with an outfit either way. Seems rather selfish to me that some one would deny some one else the use of an untradeable free skin because their ego apparently depends on it.

Why are you saying it’s “ego”? When I played GW1, there were skins that were exclusive to veterans from years before I started. I liked that those skins existed, even though I had no expectation of getting them. For me, they were a fun way to identify veterans from the early days and a way to distinguish who was around for what festivals.

Turn it around and ask if it’s ego that is causing people to say, “I should have every skin the game ever offered” (no, I don’t think that’s ego either).

It is, in fact, that those who gain access to some skins does diminish part of the value of the skin — it no longer means “I was lucky enough to be at the right place and time to get this”. Instead, it would mean that it’s just one more skin in the game, without anything to distinguish it from the others.

That isn’t a bad thing for people to want (and perhaps have it). Neither, however, is it bad for people to want a tiny subset of the skins to represent a place & time. It’s just a difference of opinion.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I think it’s easy to sit there and puff up about prestige items and players having to bite the bullet and just go without because they couldn’t log into the game at a certain time. I mean, of all the petty kitten posturing.

You know where I was in 2013? In the ICU, or rehabilitating from 8 surgeries, or recovering from complications from the illness that lead to all that. I logged 1,000 between August and December 2012, and I when I got sick I was trying desperately to fix an incompatibility issue with my computer that came up shortly after the Karka event. I was every bit as “devoted” to this game as anyone else, but I spent one full year physically incapable of sitting at a computer to play, and another 8 months in 2014 able to play but unable to run the game on my PC. I missed out on what I enjoyed the most- the actual gameplay involved in the living story and festivals- already, who is anyone who isn’t an Anet employee to sniff and say that me, and people like me who couldn’t play or didn’t have the time to play on the handful of days when these things were available, shouldn’t be able to pay to get some skins?

Seriously, I am so sick of the ~prestige~ bs being used to gearblock players. It’s a video game- there is no actual prestige to owning a thing that a few other people don’t, and there’s even less prestige when the only reason you own it and they don’t is because you hit a couple of buttons on a day when they didn’t.

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

^That pretty much sums up the reason why some of my friends refused to get the game even though it was on sale for $10.

While seasonal items should be exclusive to holidays, the amount of other “exclusive” timed cosmetics is rather annoying. For some skins, it’s not like those players unlocked skins through achievements, they were simply ‘there’ on a particular day (wings, bunny ears, glasses etc).

Afterall GW2 is buy to play and should be attractive to new players. When they see veteran players with sparkling skins, they would want to earn their way towards them. However when they find out that some skins are locked through discontinued content (Living season 1, old PvP armour skins), people will guaranteed be disappointed.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Umm, seriously greedy to want to have some item all to yourself. Looky at me I’ve been playing this game longer than you so I’m obviously more important than you newb who just joined. Omg who is full of themselves?

Bring back wings or w/e. I’m not interested in them but I’m not a jerk to say others can’t have them.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

All those wings look silly anyway. Never get why they are so popular.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Seriously what’s the problem with just accepting that there are things you can’t have?

Like Illconceived Was Na already explained, it’s not prestige or showing off. And as someone who came to GW1 relatively late, i also saw a lot of things i would have liked but i just was not playing when they were available.

I had other things to do, maybe other games to play. Either way, i was not there to get them. Period.

Same applies here. The player who is using the skin you want but cannot have is not there to kitten you off or show off or make you feel like a “noob”.

But whatever, Anet is moving in a direction where practically everything will be easy to get either via gemstore or by some grinding.

Linken.6345

Your computer was in for repair for 3 months? I find that unlikely and am going to call bullkitten.

5½ weeks actualy dident say when in july and early sept

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Hopefully the worst case scenario for these and all the other currently unavailable LS1 items is that they will come back, with the original method of acquisition, when Season 1 is re-added. The problem is we have no idea when that will be, except that it’ll be a long time in the future.

However I agree completely that they should come back. Many other Season 1 items were added to the festival vendor in Lion’s Arch, including many of the meta-achievement rewards, which is what the shattered holo wings were, so it makes no sense to me that these and a few others were excluded.

And in case anyone’s wondering I already have them, and use them on my main character, so this isn’t me whining that I couldn’t be bothered to get them and now want an easier option. It’s me saying I feel horrible every time someone asks how to get them and I have to say they can’t. I’d rather everyone who likes them and wants to use them could get them the same way I did (playing through the equivalent of 1 Living Story chapter and spamming some consumables) than have people miss out so others can imagine they’re special because they happened to be playing during that month.

You didn’t miss the boat. As far as I can tell, none of the exclusive items are anything but cosmetic, and you can get mechanically equivalent gear now.

You’re not going to be permanently behind in any way whatsoever.

Seriously what’s the problem with just accepting that there are things you can’t have?

In this context, nothing. But it can be implemented really badly, such as if the exclusive items were better than the normally available ones in any situation whatsoever, as having groups with different access to mechanics is complete havoc on balancing, forcing them to make it really easy for one group, or really difficult for the other.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: masterfan.8375

masterfan.8375

If they re-release that then they should re-rel halloween skins( shield and etc)…

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Please no.

I am incredibly selfish person. Others gaining access would not diminish my own shattered holo wings what so ever. A free account bound skin doesn’t have any added value to me if others can’t have it. It’ll still work or not work with an outfit either way.

Still, I don’t want others to have it.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Please don’t let these plebs get on my level please.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

lol so playing during certain two weeks makes you a veteran? Get a life.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

So, basically, the consensus here is that new players shouldn’t have it, because you want something to hold over their heads and say “look how much better I am than you”. Got it.

Exclusivity based on skill or content completion can be a good thing. Exclusivity based on whether someone was able to play during two specific weeks is not. Having them doesn’t mean you did anything memorable or impressive. I have the wings and don’t even remember what I had to do to get them. I didn’t realize till now that they weren’t at the laurel vendors, but now that I know that it makes me sad, because I have a friend who wasn’t playing then who quite likes them. And now I need to tell him that he can never get them, for no good reason whatsoever.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

This shows what’s wrong with some people, a bunch of nerds that were playing every day for 8 hours want to have everything exclusive. That’s the reason why I’m not playing that much now and I’m not planning to because I’m burned out after playing for so long and being afraid that I miss some unique items and even then I did miss that kitten Generosity Star because I didn’t care reading what’s new in the Wintersday event. Screw MMO games, I’m back to single players, here I don’t need rush anything.

(edited by Psychol.5783)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

There is nothing wrong with rewarding people who have been loyal customers from the beginning with exclusive content, quit whining. It isn’t like the tribal skins that were entirely RNG based, this was something you literally just had to log on for an hour or two to get. If you had an account and didn’t get it it is your own fault. If you just started now, well there are other skins in the game why do you feel like you must have everything the people who have been playing for years have. Will you cry that they have more daily achievement points than you too? Do you want free AP to catch up? Ridiculous self-entitled people.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I will never understand why some people get so selfish about virtual items… -shakes head- It’s just a bunch of pixels… I don’t even see the point of restricted items in games in the first place. I have this skin but I don’t even use it. I don’t feeel special or whatever. I think everyone should have a chance to get it. At least bring back the event once a year or something…

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

There is nothing wrong with rewarding people who have been loyal customers from the beginning with exclusive content, quit whining. It isn’t like the tribal skins that were entirely RNG based, this was something you literally just had to log on for an hour or two to get. If you had an account and didn’t get it it is your own fault. If you just started now, well there are other skins in the game why do you feel like you must have everything the people who have been playing for years have. Will you cry that they have more daily achievement points than you too? Do you want free AP to catch up? Ridiculous self-entitled people.

If you only derive pleasure from an object because others don’t have it, then you don’t deserve said object.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Been here since 3 day head-start. It can start raining Mad Memoires for everyone for all I care. I have my memories of obtaining the item and that’s all I need. I don’t need to keep people from obtaining pretty things in this game to enjoy it for myself.

I hope they bring them back one day for you, Tifa!

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Ridiculous self-entitled people.

lolwut?

The only self entitled folks I see here are the people crying that others might have even a chance of having what they have.

If this were something hard to get like the fractal weapons (not hard per se but RNG seems to be quite harsh) some of these arguments would hold water. As it is, you people are literally defending junk you simply talked to npc’s to attain. Mad Memories took all of 20 minutes to obtain when it was out and things like the wizard hat was given away for free through a simple gem store button click.

It’s like a kid who got a participation trophy and then demands that no one else ever get the same one because he participated “harder” than other people.

It must be rough being so petty.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I still have mine in the bank. After “earning” them I couldn’t really find a look on any of my characters that would go with the wings and just tossed them in bank and forgot I had them until I read this topic. They really should add it and the Tequatl wings to the laurel vendor along with anything else that’s still missing from the season 1 meta achievements.

I always thought limited one time event rewards were stupid and glad it’s not happening as much in game now (if at all). Maybe when they finally get season 1 in to story journal format that could be another way to get them.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

This is why I despise account soul bound items. I have lots of stuff in my bank like. shattered wings which I would gladly sell to you but can’t.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

This is why I despise account soul bound items. I have lots of stuff in my bank like. shattered wings which I would gladly sell to you but can’t.

I would gladly pay you 100s of gold for them wings if I could… They are the only LS backpiece I actually like.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Are there any regular holo wings on the tp still?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are there any regular holo wings on the tp still?

Yes. The non-Shatterer ones have been for sale and currently supply is running at almost 200

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/43346-holographic-dragon-wing-cover

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

Time gated “Be there” content is the worst kind of content one can design. And there are many arguments for that side and really none against. Tbh Anet should have stopped trying to keep those items unobtainable a long time ago.

If the content is not announced to be 1-chance it leads to players being frustrated afterwards because they missed the timeline (By whatever reason). That happened with the first halloween and wintersday rewards.
Meanwhile if you do announce it as 1-chance people will flock to the content leading to a huge amount of items being available. They hardly hold any value at that point.

As time goes players inevitably start quitting or not using thos items until so few are actually visible ingame that players start labeling them as prestige items. That leads to newer players who happen to see those items to ask for them. Again, this adds frustration as they are told that the items are not available.

As time goes by the number shrinks towards zero items visible and a heated argument about re-releasing the items is going on (Seems familiar?). By now the developer has two possibilities:
Don’t release them and add even more frustration to the pot by kittening of the majority of players to please a very small minority. Again, those items were not prestige to begin with until players made that one up based on percived rare-ness. In fact, agreeing on keeping them “rare” as a developer is a horrible choice and has no realistic background. As a developer this solution is a lose/lose situation.
Possibility two is to release the items again. At that point the very vocal minority which will feel “betrayed for loosing their prestige” (Which is still 100% player made-up) have two possibilities: Suck it up and deal with it like grown ups or leave the game. Since they are the minority that shouldn’t be a problem for the developer number-wise (No, even if you consider yourself a heavy spender) because the majority will be happy aswell as every new player starting afterwards because they get access to another item. For the developer this solution is usually a win/win situation because if it’s added to a store they even get extra money for it while they pleased the majority of their playerbase.

As a sidenote, at one point it won’t matter if you delete the “be there” item since so few people will use it. From an economic standpoint that is, however, the worst thing you can do so it’s always better to just release it again.

To shorten that whole stuff: Haviong “Be there” items adds a horrible amount of frustration, leads to people thinking they are special (lol) and is generally not worth the effort in the long run (You need designers to create them and so on just to have them vanish in a few months/years while other items stick around until the lights go out).

In my opinion, the only rare items should be gated by content which is actually challenging. The Aetherblade path Mini is a great way of doing so – It’s not as rare in a numerical sense that no one has it (In fact quite a few have it) but it’s far from the usual “everyone has it” like with the Mini mystical Dragon atm.
Most important is that the content is available to everyone all the time except (and that’s a big except) if it’s heavily tied into lore (Halloween for example is not this case as the mad king still lives aswell as people who can tell you his story to create mad memoires).

Also, stuff like Liadri can work as in only obtainable in a certain time of the year – The thing is it just has to be there every year at the same time.

That’s the way they should give out rare items. Fair and valuable. No playermade bs attached to it.

One last point for the left-over naysayers: Devil horns got re-released. There was no mass protest, no apocalypse, no zombie militaries riding dinosaurs – People were simply happy to have them again. That same stuff will happen with your oh so valuable prestige items one day. No one will care, the masses will be happy and you’ll have to move on. Because face it, that’s a way better choice for Anet than pleasing the interests of sub 10 players. It’s the same with FotM getting more open for newer players. Deal with it.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Here’s my stance on old items:

Anything that was acquired via RNG should return as an RNG drop from a related Fractal.

Anything that was acquired via an archived META achievement should be available for laurels.

Anything that was acquired via archived individual achievements or limited time purchase should remain exclusive and not return to the game (unless the individual achievement also makes a comeback)

Server: Devona’s Rest