Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I would be happy if Anet released the skins to those who have them unlocked but had the skins destroyed.

Posted by: Xirus.9675

Xirus.9675

Putting my vote in to re-add the Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings. If you release it on Sept 1st I’ll happily shell out $10-$20 in gems for them. If you add the black feathery wings during this anniversary sale i’ll be equally happy, too. : 3

P.S: My birthday is on Sept 3rd. And I freaking love you guys right now, esp w the necro reaper. Make me love you more pls. <3

Any sufficiently advanced science and/or technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Anet please re-release the Holographic shattered dragon wings so players that bought the game after they were released can have a chance to get a pair please.

They were NEVER a gem store item… if ANET brought them back for gems it would belittle the players who put the hard work in doing the actual content to get them.. so no…

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I think it’s easy to sit there and puff up about prestige items and players having to bite the bullet and just go without because they couldn’t log into the game at a certain time. I mean, of all the petty kitten posturing.

You know where I was in 2013? In the ICU, or rehabilitating from 8 surgeries, or recovering from complications from the illness that lead to all that. I logged 1,000 between August and December 2012, and I when I got sick I was trying desperately to fix an incompatibility issue with my computer that came up shortly after the Karka event. I was every bit as “devoted” to this game as anyone else, but I spent one full year physically incapable of sitting at a computer to play, and another 8 months in 2014 able to play but unable to run the game on my PC. I missed out on what I enjoyed the most- the actual gameplay involved in the living story and festivals- already, who is anyone who isn’t an Anet employee to sniff and say that me, and people like me who couldn’t play or didn’t have the time to play on the handful of days when these things were available, shouldn’t be able to pay to get some skins?

Seriously, I am so sick of the ~prestige~ bs being used to gearblock players. It’s a video game- there is no actual prestige to owning a thing that a few other people don’t, and there’s even less prestige when the only reason you own it and they don’t is because you hit a couple of buttons on a day when they didn’t.

Tell that to everyone that have the original Halloween skins… That they aren’t prestigious… they will laugh themselves into tears…

Solomon Darkfury.3729

So, basically, the consensus here is that new players shouldn’t have it, because you want something to hold over their heads and say “look how much better I am than you”. Got it.

Exclusivity based on skill or content completion can be a good thing. Exclusivity based on whether someone was able to play during two specific weeks is not. Having them doesn’t mean you did anything memorable or impressive. I have the wings and don’t even remember what I had to do to get them. I didn’t realize till now that they weren’t at the laurel vendors, but now that I know that it makes me sad, because I have a friend who wasn’t playing then who quite likes them. And now I need to tell him that he can never get them, for no good reason whatsoever.

Not at all… these items are a statement of I was there and you weren’t… they are a statement of “I’ve supported this game since X-X-X” You don’t like like it? Sorry too bad you weren’t there to get them. I’m sure there will be a myriad of other time exclusive items you will get

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Its like if you had a photo of you hugging Whitney Houston and it was special to you then suddenly everyone who didn’t even know who Whitney was started running around with photos of them hugging Whitney Houston you’d feel sad and annoyed.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Time gated “Be there” content is the worst kind of content one can design. And there are many arguments for that side and really none against. Tbh Anet should have stopped trying to keep those items unobtainable a long time ago.

If the content is not announced to be 1-chance it leads to players being frustrated afterwards because they missed the timeline (By whatever reason). That happened with the first halloween and wintersday rewards.
Meanwhile if you do announce it as 1-chance people will flock to the content leading to a huge amount of items being available. They hardly hold any value at that point.

As time goes players inevitably start quitting or not using thos items until so few are actually visible ingame that players start labeling them as prestige items. That leads to newer players who happen to see those items to ask for them. Again, this adds frustration as they are told that the items are not available.

As time goes by the number shrinks towards zero items visible and a heated argument about re-releasing the items is going on (Seems familiar?). By now the developer has two possibilities:
Don’t release them and add even more frustration to the pot by kittening of the majority of players to please a very small minority. Again, those items were not prestige to begin with until players made that one up based on percived rare-ness. In fact, agreeing on keeping them “rare” as a developer is a horrible choice and has no realistic background. As a developer this solution is a lose/lose situation.
Possibility two is to release the items again. At that point the very vocal minority which will feel “betrayed for loosing their prestige” (Which is still 100% player made-up) have two possibilities: Suck it up and deal with it like grown ups or leave the game. Since they are the minority that shouldn’t be a problem for the developer number-wise (No, even if you consider yourself a heavy spender) because the majority will be happy aswell as every new player starting afterwards because they get access to another item. For the developer this solution is usually a win/win situation because if it’s added to a store they even get extra money for it while they pleased the majority of their playerbase.

As a sidenote, at one point it won’t matter if you delete the “be there” item since so few people will use it. From an economic standpoint that is, however, the worst thing you can do so it’s always better to just release it again.

To shorten that whole stuff: Haviong “Be there” items adds a horrible amount of frustration, leads to people thinking they are special (lol) and is generally not worth the effort in the long run (You need designers to create them and so on just to have them vanish in a few months/years while other items stick around until the lights go out).

In my opinion, the only rare items should be gated by content which is actually challenging. The Aetherblade path Mini is a great way of doing so – It’s not as rare in a numerical sense that no one has it (In fact quite a few have it) but it’s far from the usual “everyone has it” like with the Mini mystical Dragon atm.
Most important is that the content is available to everyone all the time except (and that’s a big except) if it’s heavily tied into lore (Halloween for example is not this case as the mad king still lives aswell as people who can tell you his story to create mad memoires).

Also, stuff like Liadri can work as in only obtainable in a certain time of the year – The thing is it just has to be there every year at the same time.

That’s the way they should give out rare items. Fair and valuable. No playermade bs attached to it.

One last point for the left-over naysayers: Devil horns got re-released. There was no mass protest, no apocalypse, no zombie militaries riding dinosaurs – People were simply happy to have them again. That same stuff will happen with your oh so valuable prestige items one day. No one will care, the masses will be happy and you’ll have to move on. Because face it, that’s a way better choice for Anet than pleasing the interests of sub 10 players. It’s the same with FotM getting more open for newer players. Deal with it.

Seriously… what is with this entitlement generation?! This, “You have it so I deserve it too” crap is sickening… and getting old to be honest… This type of content exists in EVERY MMO as does this type of complaining. The REAL issue is people thinking that complaining incessantly will always get them everything they want. Get over it. All the other MMOs still succeed with this type of content as will this one. And if needs be will move on without you. Sorry if that stings…

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Yes put it for sale.

Posted by: SixxxZ.4317

SixxxZ.4317

Well the fact is, people care about appearances in GW2 its one of the main things people love this game for are skins. Almost ALL of the cool skins are from past events like how I played at Season 1 and got the fused gauntlets before and nobody else could get them. I felt like that wasnt fair to release something to people who also payed for the game and happened to start right after. I think they should add all items just like how they did with the fused guantlets and make them cost laurels or have another event while we are waiting for HoT to let people stack up on cool skins while we wait for HoT. I think people who payed for the game should get the same skins as other people espically when the cool skins on trading post are around 500-1000g which is about 200$-300$ in real money and would take months or years for regular people to save up in gold because of work and stuff that make them not able to play every day.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Too bad so sad you missed it life goes on.

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

By all means bring back what was sold in the store but those wings, witch hat, ball cap etc was exclusive and should stay that way. I was there I got all the event items and if you weren’t there then hey so sorry but too bad so sad. Ppl completed all the tasks necessary to get certain items and earned the pride to display them so NO don’t make event items available for sale. I don’t care if others don’t like it but those are the breaks. You weren’t there for whatever reason then you don’t get them. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

(edited by Tasida.4085)

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Well the fact is, people care about appearances in GW2 its one of the main things people love this game for are skins. Almost ALL of the cool skins are from past events like how I played at Season 1 and got the fused gauntlets before and nobody else could get them. I felt like that wasnt fair to release something to people who also payed for the game and happened to start right after. I think they should add all items just like how they did with the fused guantlets and make them cost laurels or have another event while we are waiting for HoT to let people stack up on cool skins while we wait for HoT. I think people who payed for the game should get the same skins as other people espically when the cool skins on trading post are around 500-1000g which is about 200$-300$ in real money and would take months or years for regular people to save up in gold because of work and stuff that make them not able to play every day.

wrong… 1000g is like $75

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

As much as I want them too, they can’t be released again without releasing other old skins like Ghastly Grinning Shield or other various items, and that could potentially destroy the market while insulting veteran players in one bold move.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Patrick.7306

Patrick.7306

LOL. I read these posts and you all act like this is some sort of Olympic achievement to get these wings. “GAME ON”? What are you 6 years old? Go outside.

sephiroth.4217

wrong… 1000g is like $75

HELLLLLO TO THE SEXIEST MAN ON GoM 3 YRS AGO

He might live somewhere else that’s not America, I for one am Australian and $50 worth of gems will charge my bank account about $71 due to AUD>USD or what ever so I would need $142 currently to reach 7,500 gems to convert to 1000g.

Attachments:

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

As much as I want them too, they can’t be released again without releasing other old skins like Ghastly Grinning Shield or other various items, and that could potentially destroy the market while insulting veteran players in one bold move.

Veteran Player here, I would be thrilled if they released those old skins again.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Tell that to everyone that have the original Halloween skins… That they aren’t prestigious… they will laugh themselves into tears…

I had/have some of the original Halloween skins and I could give less than half a kitten about them. The only items from that event that I felt were hard-earned were the boots dropped in the Clocktower, and they can be replicated by anyone with a couple of gold to spare. For me, the memory of making it to the end of the jp, and the fun I had throughout the rest of the event, is far greater than the pixel rewards.

So, basically, your assertion is wrong.

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

LOL. I read these posts and you all act like this is some sort of Olympic achievement to get these wings. “GAME ON”? What are you 6 years old? Go outside.

Well you’re obviously to young to remember that “GAME ON” is a quote from the classic Wayne’s World. But hey it’s understandable you wouldn’t know it. And I stand by what I said, you don’t earn, you don’t get. Event items were earned and should not be for sale. GAME ON
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL VETS!!!!!!!!!

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

(edited by Tasida.4085)

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

Destroy the market? Look at the Ghastly Grinning Shield. There’s almost zero movement in this market, there are 1-6 shields that get traded from one rich player to another rich player maybe once or twice per week. I don’t see how this should be a more desirable market form than one with a little more supply, lower prices and more players participating.
Who decides what ‘destroys’ a market? Rich players with Ghastly Grinning Shields? I don’t think so. Neither do I decide, of course. From an objective point of view rising prices are just as fine as falling prices.
The only markets that I’d consider as destroyed are Tiny Snowflakes, Thick Leather Sections and Medallions, since these are markets that are of use to almost nobody.

I do own the Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings and the Molten Gauntlets. And I don’t care if they re-release them… They weren’t even hard to get! All this ‘I play GW2 longer than you do’ is just bullkitten.
The only truly prestigious items ingame are Mini Liadri, the King Toad skins and the Storm Wizard skins. And maybe the Fractal Capacitor and the Luminescent Armor. If they’d add cheap ways to get them, only then I’d be kittened.

sephiroth.4217

Destroy the market? Look at the Ghastly Grinning Shield. There’s almost zero movement in this market, there are 1-6 shields that get traded from one rich player to another rich player maybe once or twice per week. I don’t see how this should be a more desirable market form than one with a little more supply, lower prices and more players participating.
Who decides what ‘destroys’ a market? Rich players with Ghastly Grinning Shields? I don’t think so. Neither do I decide, of course. From an objective point of view rising prices are just as fine as falling prices.
The only markets that I’d consider as destroyed are Tiny Snowflakes, Thick Leather Sections and Medallions, since these are markets that are of use to almost nobody.

I do own the Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings and the Molten Gauntlets. And I don’t care if they re-release them… They weren’t even hard to get! All this ‘I play GW2 longer than you do’ is just bullkitten.
The only truly prestigious items ingame are Mini Liadri, the King Toad skins and the Storm Wizard skins. And maybe the Fractal Capacitor and the Luminescent Armor. If they’d add cheap ways to get them, only then I’d be kittened.

For 10 points the key words were!???

You guessed right! “Potentially” and “Other various items” …. Using Grinning Ghastly skin was but a mere example my friend

Also,

The only truly prestigious items ingame are Mini Liadri, the King Toad skins and the Storm Wizard skins. And maybe the Fractal Capacitor and the Luminescent Armor.

Mind explaining to me why PvE Living story event skins that happened last year are more prestigious than the ones from 3 years ago? Or how a fractal capacitor (which most ppl own) is again more prestigious than a grinning ghastly shield that 100 people can win from raffles from time to time? Personally I would have thought having a low chance of winning something in a blue moon would make it more valueable than a months worth of grinding for a skin that most people have but never use?
I know it generally comes down to personal opinion too which is why I’m curious to hear yours

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Captain Unusual.9163

You guessed right! “Potentially” and “Other various items” …. Using Grinning Ghastly skin was but a mere example my friend

Also,

The only truly prestigious items ingame are Mini Liadri, the King Toad skins and the Storm Wizard skins. And maybe the Fractal Capacitor and the Luminescent Armor.

Mind explaining to me why PvE Living story event skins that happened last year are more prestigious than the ones from 3 years ago? Or how a fractal capacitor (which most ppl own) is again more prestigious than a grinning ghastly shield that 100 people can win from raffles from time to time? Personally I would have thought having a low chance of winning something in a blue moon would make it more valueable than a months worth of grinding for a skin that most people have but never use?
I know it generally comes down to personal opinion too which is why I’m curious to hear yours

Generally, prestige is associated with skill, or at least time poured into something, in the case of the fractal capacitor. The only thing the ghastly shield shows is that you got lucky with a drop. No one is impressed with someone who got lucky and had a rare skin drop, but Liadri and the SAD skins at least prove that you were skilled at something.

Posted by: TheDemonEmperor.6825

TheDemonEmperor.6825

Limited stuff is what make it rare and to be desired for. You know back then, no 1 give a shi0t about any of these items, cause it such a common thing. 2-3 year later it become rare/hard or impossible to obtain. People are going nuts about how every 1 should be able to get 1?

I mean, how entitle are u? u gonna complain at every missed oportunity and it should be at ur beck and call whenever?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Also,

Generally, prestige is associated with skill, or at least time poured into something, in the case of the fractal capacitor. The only thing the ghastly shield shows is that you got lucky with a drop. No one is impressed with someone who got lucky and had a rare skin drop, but Liadri and the SAD skins at least prove that you were skilled at something.

What? That you can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency? lolololol Hate to burst your bubble but the moment there were guides to getting those items the skill requirement to get them went out the window lololol. The prestige on the Halloween skins isn’t about that. It’s about being at THE FIRST event for GW2. Being present and having the RAREST items that came from it…

Captain Unusual.9163

Also,

What? That you can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency? lolololol Hate to burst your bubble but the moment there were guides to getting those items the skill requirement to get them went out the window lololol. The prestige on the Halloween skins isn’t about that. It’s about being at THE FIRST event for GW2. Being present and having the RAREST items that came from it…

I know you feel like putting in some words in all caps makes your argument stronger, but the fact is that no one is impressed by someone whose only achievements were being present and being lucky.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

You do realize, using some of the most expensive skins in the game as an example is laughable… To use an analogy, Think about a Ferrari or Lambourgini. Think about their value on the market place. Now suddenly every automobile user cries their eyes out about how it isn’t fair that they don’t have one to the point that someone just starts giving them away… Can you guess how quickly the costs of those cars will decline? It would be catastrophic…

sephiroth.4217

Also,

Huh.. Interesting point of view.

I’ve always been impressed when I see someone with a Ghastly shield, I transmuted mine when prices were cheap long before wardrobe, so seeing one on the field now days tells me 2 things: They had a lot of gold, or it’s another fellow veteran player that took part in one of the first Guild Wars 2 events.

If I remember right too, we didn’t have “recieve this for doing this achievement” reward system either, most of it was just RNG based, so if it was Liadri, you could complete the required task for reward 15-20 times before getting Liadri.

….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Birthday presents show age, cosmetics should be cosmetics for all to enjoy. I’ve got my wings and I don’t use them to try and show off.

However, I’m against glowing backpiece skins coming back as they clutter the screen and look awful. No more wings and spinal blades! XD

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I hope they don’t rerelease any old and exclusive skins like the shattered dragon wings, and I don’t even have them, and I hope I never will. Not because I don’t like them, because I wouldn’t have done anything to get them- I truly believe that exclusive items should stay exclusive and I don’t want players like myself who did not get them when they were first released to be able to get them now. It is a symbol of how long someone has played like others have said, and items like this I genuinely respect when I see on other players. I understand why most players would want to be able to get them now if they like them, but I would not feel like I deserve them, and they would lose all value when I see them on other people which would be a shame for those who got them when they were first available.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Hey, know where I was during Dragon Bash? Recovering from a complete mental breakdown after being severely abused by someone who said they loved me. I wasn’t playing any games, not even GW2 which I had put almost 6 hours a day into since I joined. I had an account, I had characters, so I do feel that I should have a chance at those wings. Not given to me. Not a freebie. Something I have to work to acquire just like everyone else who has them. I wasn’t playing when the event that dropped the Karka backpack was up either.. but I have it. I grinded until I could buy it.

Now I didn’t join GW2 until after the first Halloween event so I don’t feel any entitlement to those items or ones that came before. I didn’t own GW2. Too bad.

And LOL at the prestige. That should come via the birthday gifts and titles. Hey, remember those? I have the Tequatl wings and I got all the Tequatl achievements within those two weeks – re-releasing Teq wings won’t take that away from me, it doesn’t ‘cheapen’ my achievements because I did it the hard way and I’m proud of myself – I don’t need some random stranger to look at me in awe and feel like I’m a special snowflake.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

AzureSky.3175

Mind explaining to me why PvE Living story event skins that happened last year are more prestigious than the ones from 3 years ago? Or how a fractal capacitor (which most ppl own) is again more prestigious than a grinning ghastly shield that 100 people can win from raffles from time to time?

I can always ask my boss if I can work an hour extra now and then, and then I let the company pay me for it. This is basically ‘real life farming’. It’s like farming gold ingame, but far less dull, and I can easily make more than 300g per hour. More then 300g for sacrificing only one single hour of my free time. So, after ‘farming’ for about 14 hours (not even 2 working days), I can just buy a Ghastly Grinning Shield from the TP.
What exactly is prestigous about that? I went to work for 2 days. So amazing.

Okay, in my opinion, there’s three ‘levels’ of prestige:

1. prestigeless: anything that can simply be bought on the TP or anywhere else (Legendaries, Halloween skins, …)
  2. a little prestigious: items that you could get earlier, but cannot be obtained anymore in any way (Shattered Dragon Wings, …)
  3. prestigious: items that require a certain amount of skill to be obtained, doesn’t matter if they can still be obtained or not (green/yellow super skins, Mini Liadri, future Legendaries(?!) …)

I consider the green and yellow super skins more prestigious than the Shattered Dragon Wings, because it required skill to finish the SAB levels on Tribulation Mode, even if you knew the paths. The Shattered Dragon Wings were really easy to obtain (smash 50 piñatas, light 50 fireworks and so on…).

What? That you can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency? lolololol Hate to burst your bubble but the moment there were guides to getting those items the skill requirement to get them went out the window lololol.

lolololol hate to burst your bubble, but please download and play “I Wanna Be the Guy” (it’s free and only 69MB!). All you have to do is jump and shoot, latency doesn’t even matter. You may even watch a guide! According your logic, it’s a very easy game. So please finish this game to check if your logic makes any sense.

The prestige on the Halloween skins isn’t about that. It’s about being at THE FIRST event for GW2. Being present and having the RAREST items that came from it…

lolololol hate to burst your bubble, but I wasn’t around during the first Halloween and I could still buy all the skins today if I wanted to.

You do realize, using some of the most expensive skins in the game as an example is laughable… To use an analogy, Think about a Ferrari or Lambourgini. Think about their value on the market place. Now suddenly every automobile user cries their eyes out about how it isn’t fair that they don’t have one to the point that someone just starts giving them away… Can you guess how quickly the costs of those cars will decline? It would be catastrophic…

You do realize, using some of the most expensive cars as an analogy is laughable… I’ve never heard of Lamborghinis and Ferraris being given away for free by the companies to random people all over the world. I’ve never heard of people then starting to sell these cars to each other for cheap prices because there’s just so many of them being spread around for free. And I’ve never heard of Lamborghinis and Ferraris then reaching their ‘true’ market value only if they’ve been around for 3 years. I think your analogy is not a valid analogy at all… Sorry.

If I remember right too, we didn’t have “recieve this for doing this achievement” reward system either, most of it was just RNG based, so if it was Liadri, you could complete the required task for reward 15-20 times before getting Liadri.

You can’t even compare that :/ yes, they were RNG based, but required no skill at all.
Liadri on the other hand required skills, but wasn’t RNG based. Making Liadri skill-based and RNG would’ve been totally imbalanced.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

prestige

kek.

People that missed any content in this game should be given a chance to get it again.

Granted, it should not be handed out like candy, there should be some effort involved, but asking that a specific item simply be sealed away from new players in favor of others that just happened to be existing at the time of a festival is incredibly selfish.

Prestige should be given to those who did something significant, like funding the game in initial stages or winning a contest.

Those wings were from a game wide festival.

ALSO!

1. prestigious: items that require a certain amount of skill to be obtained, doesn’t matter if they can still be obtained or not (green/yellow super skins, Mini Liadri, future Legendaries(?!) …)

I consider the green and yellow super skins more prestigious than the Shattered Dragon Wings, because it required skill to finish the SAB levels on Tribulation Mode, even if you knew the paths. The Shattered Dragon Wings were really easy to obtain (smash 50 piñatas, light 50 fireworks and so on…).

This right here.

Even if SAB comes back, the people with those skins put in some incredible effort and showed some true skill that other players will have to imitate if they want the item as well.

-That’s- what should be considered prestige.

Not shooting fireworks a year ago. Who cares about that.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Woah, let’s take a step back people. It’s not really about the “Prestige”.

The most important factor is: “I was there when it happened, and this is what I have to show for it”.

People always seem to forget that at first, ArenaNet philosophy in making Guild Wars 2 was to create a “Living, Breathing World” – where you HAVE to be there to experience the world, and that logging in today would be different then logging in tomorrow or the next week, etc. The by product of their goal resulted Living Story 1 (LS1). Which was basically trying to replicate a real world dynamic feeling. You can’t get back yesterday, ever. It gave you additional incentive to log-in and play because if you were not there, you don’t get to see it, the world moves on.

The entire LS1 was ArenaNet’s experiment and I absolutely loved it (granted I missed a few weeks worth of gameplay because I went on a vacation! #firstworldproblems)

Anyhow – I think it should remain as it is, as a memoir to the effort ArenaNet took to make the game truly dynamic. I’m sorry that you weren’t there to experience it, but that’s what made the game SO much more “exciting” back then.

This right here.

Even if SAB comes back, the people with those skins put in some incredible effort and showed some true skill that other players will have to imitate if they want the item as well.

Agreed, I’m a proud owner of both green & yellow lightsabers.

Also forgive me, I’m going to go a bit off topic here, but where are all the “CHALLENGING GROUP CONTENT SHOULDN’T GET EXCLUSIVE REWARD” posts about SAB? Kittening Hypocrites.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

(edited by Avster.1935)

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I was around during dragon bash and have both the regular and shattered version of the wings. I think they should put them on the laurel merchant along with all the other items/skins that came from past events that aren’t around any more.

Avster.1935

NO!

Those wings are probably the only thing that have a kind of prestige status.

You can buy everything in GW2 but the wings are one of the few Skins that cant be bought. If I think about it, they are probably the only skin that cant be bought (except the skins that are unlocked via AP and Karma skins)

So…

NO RE-RELEASE!

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

Sorry I have to correct you, the MOST prestigious item in game is the “Endless Fractal Tonic”. Why? It comes only from high level fractal. It’s non trade-able, and has a ridiculously small drop that is even lower than precursor.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

In my opinion the only way they should be added back into the game is if A-Net re-runs the festival — then they could be awarded to people who get the achievements. It’s not like the achievements were difficult to begin with, but I should be able to trust the devs when they tell me, “This is an exclusive reward.”

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

They should not rerelease old items in my opinion.

It is a symbol of how long someone has been playing and that they were able to get it.

Now if you lost them my mistake then yes you should be able to get more

And you’re wrong.
I know, it’s hard to have an opinion be wrong, but you are.
Especially when you contradict yourself. If you’re a poor custodian of your “uniqueness,” you don’t deserve it. I couldn’t re-get my Head Start cap back, even though I had it when the wardrobe switched over. :*(

As someone who has the shattered wings and went through careful pains to make sure they transmuted properly, I couldn’t care less about my “specialness” if someone else can enjoy them.

With the new Lion’s Arch in place, hopefully we’ll see festivals more consistently, and then everyone can get a chance at the rewards.

:)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Once they stuck a lot of skins from past events on the Laurel merchant and anyone with enough gold and laurels can buy them, then any prestige or “I was there” went out the window. The Shatterer wings aren’t different from the Sclerite Karka shell which was also a meta event reward and is for sale at your friendly neighborhood Laurel vender for 25 laurels and 15 gold.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Captain Unusual.9163

NO!

Those wings are probably the only thing that have a kind of prestige status.

You can buy everything in GW2 but the wings are one of the few Skins that cant be bought. If I think about it, they are probably the only skin that cant be bought (except the skins that are unlocked via AP and Karma skins)

So…

NO RE-RELEASE!

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

Sorry I have to correct you, the MOST prestigious item in game is the “Endless Fractal Tonic”. Why? It comes only from high level fractal. It’s non trade-able, and has a ridiculously small drop that is even lower than precursor.

When I see someone with that tonic, I don’t think to myself “wow, that guy must be really good at this game to have that. Maybe one day I’ll be as good as he is.”

I think “Wow, that guy’s really lucky. Maybe one day the RNGods will give me something good.”

Avster.1935

When I see someone with that tonic, I don’t think to myself “wow, that guy must be really good at this game to have that. Maybe one day I’ll be as good as he is.”

I think “Wow, that guy’s really lucky. Maybe one day the RNGods will give me something good.”

End-game loot without any token system, will always be referred to as “Oh that guys is so lucky” – unfortunately this is universal for every MMOs prestige items. But my point still stands, it is in fact the rarest non-trade able item in-game. A very small handful of people have them.

OTOH for future “prestigious” items, I hope “Challenging Group Content” is like SAB Tribulation Mode though, where you have to work REALLY hard to get the item (i.e. their 3 token system). That shows that “Wow that guy must be really good at jumping or is very dedicated and spent hours after hours to finally finish the ridiculously unforgiving jumping puzzle to get that super shiny weapon!”

(edited by Avster.1935)

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Woah, let’s take a step back people. It’s not really about the “Prestige”.

The most important factor is: “I was there when it happened, and this is what I have to show for it”.

People always seem to forget that at first, ArenaNet philosophy in making Guild Wars 2 was to create a “Living, Breathing World” – where you HAVE to be there to experience the world, and that logging in today would be different then logging in tomorrow or the next week, etc. The by product of their goal resulted Living Story 1 (LS1). Which was basically trying to replicate a real world dynamic feeling. You can’t get back yesterday, ever. It gave you additional incentive to log-in and play because if you were not there, you don’t get to see it, the world moves on.

The entire LS1 was ArenaNet’s experiment and I absolutely loved it (granted I missed a few weeks worth of gameplay because I went on a vacation! #firstworldproblems)

Anyhow – I think it should remain as it is, as a memoir to the effort ArenaNet took to make the game truly dynamic. I’m sorry that you weren’t there to experience it, but that’s what made the game SO much more “exciting” back then.

This right here.

Agreed, I’m a proud owner of both green & yellow lightsabers.

Also forgive me, I’m going to go a bit off topic here, but where are all the “CHALLENGING GROUP CONTENT SHOULDN’T GET EXCLUSIVE REWARD” posts about SAB? Kittening Hypocrites.

+1000

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Mind explaining to me why PvE Living story event skins that happened last year are more prestigious than the ones from 3 years ago? Or how a fractal capacitor (which most ppl own) is again more prestigious than a grinning ghastly shield that 100 people can win from raffles from time to time?

I can always ask my boss if I can work an hour extra now and then, and then I let the company pay me for it. This is basically ‘real life farming’. It’s like farming gold ingame, but far less dull, and I can easily make more than 300g per hour. More then 300g for sacrificing only one single hour of my free time. So, after ‘farming’ for about 14 hours (not even 2 working days), I can just buy a Ghastly Grinning Shield from the TP.
What exactly is prestigous about that? I went to work for 2 days. So amazing.

Okay, in my opinion, there’s three ‘levels’ of prestige:

1. prestigeless: anything that can simply be bought on the TP or anywhere else (Legendaries, Halloween skins, …)
  2. a little prestigious: items that you could get earlier, but cannot be obtained anymore in any way (Shattered Dragon Wings, …)
  3. prestigious: items that require a certain amount of skill to be obtained, doesn’t matter if they can still be obtained or not (green/yellow super skins, Mini Liadri, future Legendaries(?!) …)

What? That you can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency? lolololol Hate to burst your bubble but the moment there were guides to getting those items the skill requirement to get them went out the window lololol.

lolololol hate to burst your bubble, but please download and play “I Wanna Be the Guy” (it’s free and only 69MB!). All you have to do is jump and shoot, latency doesn’t even matter. You may even watch a guide! According your logic, it’s a very easy game. So please finish this game to check if your logic makes any sense.

The prestige on the Halloween skins isn’t about that. It’s about being at THE FIRST event for GW2. Being present and having the RAREST items that came from it…

lolololol hate to burst your bubble, but I wasn’t around during the first Halloween and I could still buy all the skins today if I wanted to.

You do realize, using some of the most expensive cars as an analogy is laughable… I’ve never heard of Lamborghinis and Ferraris being given away for free by the companies to random people all over the world. I’ve never heard of people then starting to sell these cars to each other for cheap prices because there’s just so many of them being spread around for free. And I’ve never heard of Lamborghinis and Ferraris then reaching their ‘true’ market value only if they’ve been around for 3 years. I think your analogy is not a valid analogy at all… Sorry.

You can’t even compare that :/ yes, they were RNG based, but required no skill at all.
Liadri on the other hand required skills, but wasn’t RNG based. Making Liadri skill-based and RNG would’ve been totally imbalanced.

1) That’s the point of my analogy… you haven’t heard of it because it’s ridiculous. JUSt like what the people are asking here lol

2) Also The game you referenced has no bearing on this conversation because if you don’t think latency had any effect on performance in SAB you are delusional I’m sorry. Just like in PvP and WvW poor latency in SAB got you killed.. fast…

3) Liadri was RIDICULOUSLY easy as long as you followed the guide and brought the right class.

NONE of the items in this game have prestigious value to any of the owners bar the ones who maybe were the absolute FIRST to complete content. They are perceived as being prestigious bc they are pretty to the viewers or something the viewers have never seen before. I get asked all the time about various bits of my armor and weapons and I link the items I explain how they were obtained, and in no way shape or form do I act like some elitist with a better than thou attitude. One thing I do state, as an example with Ghastly Shield, is that it was an RNG drop during the first Halloween and I wear it because 1) I think it looks amazing and 2) It shows I was there for GW2’s first event.

The entitlement has to stop somewhere. Again it’s not about prestige. It’s not about I’m better than you. It’s about me being able to show I was there for something. Items like that hold significant personal intrinsic value because back in the first year everyone thought they were a part of something amazing. All of it was new and exciting for EVERYONE. Now it just seems people log in do this that and the other and if they see someone with something they don’t have they ask where they got it and cry foul that it’s not available to them. Hey I’m sorry.. but that’s the living world just like in real life you can’t sit there and say oh that guy won the lottery 3 years ago I want the chance to get the same prize he did…

Rauderi.8706

The entitlement has to stop somewhere.

It’s about me being able to show I was there for something.

So, you’re entitled to have unique, one-time-only items? Seems a bit hypocritical.

I’ve got those wings, and the other holographic ones. Quite happy with both of them, and I wouldn’t qq one bit if newer players had a chance at them. With, say, another Dragon Bash festival.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

They should not rerelease old items in my opinion.

It is a symbol of how long someone has been playing and that they were able to get it.

Now if you lost them my mistake then yes you should be able to get more

Not re-releasing items only decreases the games longevity. You are putting an expiration date on games that are not new player friendly. Why would players want to come into a game only to find they have missed 5, 10, 15 years worth of stuff they will never be able to have? (…)

You’re also killing it if you say, “hey, get on board any time you want, we’ll be waiting” What stops people from procrastinating then and never actually play the game to begin with?

It’s two sides of a coin, there’s no right or wrong way to do it. People that don’t have them will want them return, people that have them want them to never return.

The 1st Halloween skins didn’t return, but on the specific case of these dragon wings they might since they are account bound on acquire and don’t have a market value.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Solomon Darkfury.3729

So, you’re entitled to have unique, one-time-only items? Seems a bit hypocritical.

I’ve got those wings, and the other holographic ones. Quite happy with both of them, and I wouldn’t qq one bit if newer players had a chance at them. With, say, another Dragon Bash festival.

No not entitled at all lol It’s because I was actually there!!!! PLEASE I implore you to read what the concept of the living story actually was…

Rauderi.8706

No not entitled at all lol It’s because I was actually there!!!! PLEASE I implore you to read what the concept of the living story actually was…

I know what it was. It also failed, for the precise reason that players were paying for content that disappeared. Season 2 handled it better in that regard. (Even if the writing tanked…)

Many alts; handle it!

AzureSky.3175

1) That’s the point of my analogy… you haven’t heard of it because it’s ridiculous. JUSt like what the people are asking here lol

I think you don’t get what I was trying to say. Your analogy is no analogy, since there are no similarities between Lamborghinis and Halloween skins. When a new Lamborghini model is released, it’s insanely expensive and something that only very rich people will buy. Of course it’d be ridiculous if they suddenly gave them away for free.
If the Halloween skins were insanely expensive at release, let’s say maybe 20.000 Gems, only then you could compare them to Lamborghinis. And if Anet gave a 20.000 Gem item away for free after three years, then I’d agree with you, that’d be ridiculous.
But that’s not the case. Halloween skins were comparatively cheap back then, because hundreds of them were tossed into peoples inventories. It’s really only an ’I’ve been here earlier, so I got it cheaper’ thing.

2) Also The game you referenced has no bearing on this conversation because if you don’t think latency had any effect on performance in SAB you are delusional I’m sorry. Just like in PvP and WvW poor latency in SAB got you killed.. fast…

Where exactly did I say that latency had no effect on performance in SAB? Please enlighten me.
You said, ‘that [one] can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency’ were the only requirements to finish SAB Tribulation Mode as soon as there were guides. If you really think that, you are delusional, I’m sorry.

3) Liadri was RIDICULOUSLY easy as long as you followed the guide and brought the right class.

I don’t know. Maybe. I did it without any guides on my warrior. Took me 60 tries the first year. Took me 2 tries the seconds year.

One thing I do state, as an example with Ghastly Shield, is that it was an RNG drop during the first Halloween and I wear it because 2) It shows I was there for GW2’s first event.

Wasn’t around during first Halloween. Could still easily buy a Ghastly Grinning Shield :X Only non-tradable items can show that you were around back then.

Items like that hold significant personal intrinsic value because back in the first year everyone thought they were a part of something amazing. All of it was new and exciting for EVERYONE.

And these amazing memories just fade away if new players can get old items? I still love my Fused Gauntlets, because I got them from the amazing Flame and Frost dungeon back then. Nowadays you can just buy them for laurels, but that didn’t make them lose any personal value for me. Not at all! And if someone ever asks me about them, I can tell him/her that I got them from this awesome dungeon back then, and then tell him that he/she can still get the skin from the laurel vendor if he/she likes it. Isn’t that even more awesome than saying ‘Sorry, but you’ll never get it’?

(edited by AzureSky.3175)

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

As a proud owner of the wings, I’d be fine if they came back, but I’d want them to be just as hard to get. I farmed hard to get both sets of wings. Still have the normal holo wings in my bank. I’d like anyone getting them today to have to do as much.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I think you don’t get what I was trying to say. Your analogy is no analogy, since there are no similarities between Lamborghinis and Halloween skins. When a new Lamborghini model is released, it’s insanely expensive and something that only very rich people will buy. Of course it’d be ridiculous if they suddenly gave them away for free.
If the Halloween skins were insanely expensive at release, let’s say maybe 20.000 Gems, only then you could compare them to Lamborghinis. And if Anet gave a 20.000 Gem item away for free after three years, then I’d agree with you, that’d be ridiculous.
But that’s not the case. Halloween skins were comparatively cheap back then, because hundreds of them were tossed into peoples inventories. It’s really only an ’I’ve been here earlier, so I got it cheaper’ thing.

Where exactly did I say that latency had no effect on performance in SAB? Please enlighten me.
You said, ‘that [one] can press space bar, dodge, and have very little latency’ were the only requirements to finish SAB Tribulation Mode as soon as there were guides. If you really think that, you are delusional, I’m sorry.

I don’t know. Maybe. I did it without any guides on my warrior. Took me 60 tries the first year. Took me 2 tries the seconds year.

One thing I do state, as an example with Ghastly Shield, is that it was an RNG drop during the first Halloween and I wear it because 2) It shows I was there for GW2’s first event.

Wasn’t around during first Halloween. Could still easily buy a Ghastly Grinning Shield :X Only non-tradable items can show that you were around back then.

Items like that hold significant personal intrinsic value because back in the first year everyone thought they were a part of something amazing. All of it was new and exciting for EVERYONE.

And these amazing memories just fade away if new players can get old items? I still love my Fused Gauntlets, because I got them from the amazing Flame and Frost dungeon back then. Nowadays you can just buy them for laurels, but that didn’t make them lose any personal value for me. Not at all! And if someone ever asks me about them, I can tell him/her that I got them from this awesome dungeon back then, and then tell him that he/she can still get the skin from the laurel vendor if he/she likes it. Isn’t that even more awesome than saying ‘Sorry, but you’ll never get it’?

1) Ferrari’s are the perfect analogy bc you are comparing high end cars to high end skins. If you can’t understand that I can’t help you…

2) At it’s lowest it was 20g on Oct 24th 2012 (first day of event) Do you have ANY concept what 20g is comparable to now? How hard it was to HAVE 20g back then? lol in Jan ’13 it spiked to 175g and has only climbed from there. Aside from RNG it has ALWAYS been financially unobtainable to the average GW2 player. The price is dictated by a supply and demand market for an event that took place almost 3 years ago… To give you some perspective… 100 gems were 18 SILVER at launch lololol. Inflation and supply and demand in a free market economy. It is what it is. You want it? Bust your tail and earn the gold to get it if not then it will vanish from the marketplace and that will be it.

See this reference http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/36339

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Posted by: Mekun.7098

Mekun.7098

The i am owed everything generation. Anet nor anyone owes you anything in the game, get over yourself. If you where not here for the wings and missed out, to bad so sad. I was in the hospital for 2 yrs so missed out on a few things but i dont cry about it, i lived through it. The constant crying on these forums about nerfs and and what people want is a major drag to this game. They remade the whole game and i dont think its better for it. In real life you work hard and reap the rewards, you dont wander the street complaining how life isnt fair because other people have stuff you dont.

AzureSky.3175

1) Ferrari’s are the perfect analogy bc you are comparing high end cars to high end skins. If you can’t understand that I can’t help you…

Depends on your definition of ‘high end’. Some of the skins do look nice, true, but if you’re definition of ‘high end’ is based on gold prices, then they aren’t high end because they were comparatively cheap to obtain when they were released.

2) At it’s lowest it was 20g on Oct 24th 2012 (first day of event) Do you have ANY concept what 20g is comparable to now? How hard it was to HAVE 20g back then? lol in Jan ’13 it spiked to 175g and has only climbed from there. Aside from RNG it has ALWAYS been financially unobtainable to the average GW2 player. The price is dictated by a supply and demand market for an event that took place almost 3 years ago… To give you some perspective… 100 gems were 18 SILVER at launch lololol. Inflation and supply and demand in a free market economy. It is what it is. You want it? Bust your tail and earn the gold to get it if not then it will vanish from the marketplace and that will be it.

Let’s compare some November 2012 market values to June 2015 market values.

100 Gems cost you:

• Nov 12: -> 0.88g
  • Jun 15: -> 21g
  • Absolute value increased x24

100 Gems sell for:

• Nov 12: -> 0.63g
  • Jun 15: -> 11g
  • Absolute value increased x17

Price for one Glob of Ectoplasm:

• Nov 12: -> 12s
  • Jun 15: -> 34s
  • Absolute value increased x3

Price for one Ghastly Grinning Shield:

• Nov 12: -> 20g
  • Jun 15: -> 4000g
  • Absolute value increased x200 !!!

If you really believe that the Halloween skins today are just as (un)affordable as in Nov 12, then… sorry, I can’t help you anymore.

See this reference :)
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/36339
http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19721