Home Improvements

Home Improvements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dervin.5147

Dervin.5147

Does any one else feel the home instance is under utilized (especially the Asuran home)? You get maybe one quest point that takes place there but after that a “bunch” of people that you barely know or don’t know show up like it’s a bad house party. (By the way, Mira is sleeping in my bed… standing up! see picture below) With the way it was originally discussed I thought more of a character’s personal achievements would be represented. Asura for example: the Asura are so proud of the college they attended, why doesn’t their school pride show? Most everybody has a school pennant so why not have a banner for their alma mater, later you can add a faction banner next to it and finally a Pact banner when they’re established. A Norn example would be just before you fight Issormir you have to bring back a trophy for evaluation, your first trophy. “This pelt paved my way to Issormir and was my first step toward greatness.”
The resource nodes are cool but aren’t really worth the gem store price, though the next step is a plant and vegetable node pack. A victory garden would be worth the price and fit the tone of the game.
Does anyone else have ideas how this space coud be used more?

Attachments:

Home Improvements

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes. I definitely feel the home instance is under-utilized for the amount of effort which went into creating it as an instance different for everyone. This was brought up a while back during the first round of CDIs, specifically “Horizontal Progression”. As in, this is one thing players could affect as a means of horizontal progression to just fill it with things which mean something to them. Sort of like a Hall of Monuments for GW2, only . . . with more to it.

I want to mount a piece of the Shatterer on a plinth for my Blood Legion charr warrior. And then tell Rytlock if he ever wants to take another push at the Elder Dragon who made it, to come recruiting at the Vigil where he’s stationed currently.

I want to have my human ranger build a monument to the fallen of Falcon Company. I want to have Lord Faren around in the tavern telling those who would listen about how his close personal friend took him out for an adventure or two, and get called out by the Great Zehtuka’s descendant in a boasting contest which would make norn raise eyebrows.

I want my norn guardian to start collecting trophies of her hunts so she can rub Eir’s nose in it. Tattered Svanir banners, the wing off one of the few Tyrian black moas, the jaw of an ice drake broodmother, a cute lil drawing from a refugee child . . .

I want my asura to have a project to “work on” now and then in his lab instance. After all, an asura should always be hard at work making physics (and causality!) cry like a lil cat.

And if I played my sylvari character at all, I’d really like them to collect journals and mementos of his journey so he can point to them and tell ‘younger’ sylvari “this is what awaits you in the world beyond the Grove”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Home Improvements

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some players have had success at changing their graphics options (higher) when confronted with an NPC standing when they should be laying down.

Good luck.

Home Improvements

Posted by: Nightingale.9714

Nightingale.9714

Anet planned player housing since before the release of the game and we were all expecting it within the first 6 months at least. As far as I know it hasnt been touched since then. And I doubt it ever will. Unfortunate but probably true, as player housing would be awesome.

Home Improvements

Posted by: Deneb.2697

Deneb.2697

Yes! Home Improvement please!
Oh…. wait…you are not talking about this …. right? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101120/

Home Improvements

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Marjory and Kasmeer have more personality in their place than we do, and we haven’t even seen it and I love a lot of the ideas Tobias had.

As for my thoughts, I think ANet may have considered to be detrimental to the sort of community they have been trying to create, and the reason why the Home Instance is such an underutilized asset. Things like banks and the trading posts still make the most since to be located outside , so people don’t hole up in their home instances and not interact with the community.

What do we even get to call Home?
For example, with Humans, it would seem that our current actual house in Salma district is in the far south east part of the district (if it isn’t, then our home, it shows how indistinct the location is). It is very well furnished and not far from the entrance.

We should be able to enter this house and interact with things, as well as leave things like a mini pets to wander the premises or mementos there.

Admittedly, I would unleash as many cat minis as I could and reign as the Cat Lady of Salma’s South End.

Wardrobe interaction would be a natural location here instead of at the bank (naked with everyone watching). The possibility of one of your crafting professions having a station in your home could be done as well as possibly moving to another home in the area.

While things like Guild Halls are far off in the future, the possibility of player housing is likely even further away, but this should not bar the possibility of personalization in a location we have no reason to currently use except for gathering nodes and the occasional personal story quest.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

(edited by Sankofa Jimiyu.1567)

Home Improvements

Posted by: Dervin.5147

Dervin.5147

Oh god, I love the idea of bunch minis running around and possably interacting with each other. That would be hillaious to watch. I also thought this would be the area for the wardrobe as well. I actually thought they would just drop the wardrobe from the PvP area into the instance and that would be it.

Home Improvements

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Does any one else feel the home instance is under utilized (especially the Asuran home)? You get maybe one quest point that takes place there but after that a “bunch” of people that you barely know or don’t know show up like it’s a bad house party. (By the way, Mira is sleeping in my bed… standing up! see picture below) With the way it was originally discussed I thought more of a character’s personal achievements would be represented. Asura for example: the Asura are so proud of the college they attended, why doesn’t their school pride show? Most everybody has a school pennant so why not have a banner for their alma mater, later you can add a faction banner next to it and finally a Pact banner when they’re established. A Norn example would be just before you fight Issormir you have to bring back a trophy for evaluation, your first trophy. “This pelt paved my way to Issormir and was my first step toward greatness.”
The resource nodes are cool but aren’t really worth the gem store price, though the next step is a plant and vegetable node pack. A victory garden would be worth the price and fit the tone of the game.
Does anyone else have ideas how this space coud be used more?

off topic…the signets my eyes are burning.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Home Improvements

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

lets not forget about this:

With the portal stone, the home instance becomes slightly more significant. What i want is a update so that all home instances offer the same services, preventing any one from becoming inherently superior to another.

The offered services in home instances are as of this post’s writing:

Charr – Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, General Goods Merchant
Norn – Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Tavern, Minor Foods Merchant
Human – Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Tavern, Minor Foods Merchant
Sylvari – Repair
Asura – none

To maintain fairness between races, i request that the following services are added to every Home Instance they are not already present in

General Goods Merchant
Tavern (Belcher’s Bluff Kit Access)
Repair

And (optionally) the following
Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Minor Foods Merchent

Home Improvements

Posted by: Brian.6435

Brian.6435

I was just thinking of this yesterday when I was asking myself “what advantage would having the home portal stone even have?”

Please put a trading post, banker, repair smith, and common merchant in every home instance and I’ll be happy.

If you want to go one step further and make RPers like myself ecstatic, please make each home instance have a customizable HOME (i.e. Hearthfires from skyrim) that you can invite friends over to and have get-togethers and relax in. It would also make each players home unique.