Home Instance: Becoming a real home.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

So let me start off by reminding you of these two specific items providing access to convenient locations:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Captain%27s_Airship_Pass_
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Terrace_Pass
As we all know(or should know?), our home instance evolves with progression of our personal story. New characters appear, and it becomes more lively and busier overall.
With the introduction of Living Story updates(and gem store item), we’ve also gotten a possibility to get 6 resource nodes as well as a skill point inside our home instance. And that’s really great in my opinion. Now if I could use a Hearthstone(http://www.wowhead.com/item=6948/hearthstone) to get back to my home instance, it would feel even better! Because right now, a place I go back to craft/shop/do stuff is an airship, which is pretty convenient, but is not really quite related to me in any way. Together with Hearthstone(whatever name should it be), I of course would like more upgrades to be introduced to our home instances, such as:
1. Repair NPC’s/stations(an upgrade probably bought with gold, or rewarded as an achievement for fixing your armor Nth time)
2. Trading Post, same as above.
3. Bank, same as above.
4. General Goods(sickles axes picks kits etc) Merchant, same as above.
5. Mystic Forge, same as above.
6. Crafting stations(an upgrade that has to be crafted after mastering a discipline, perhaps)
7. Aside from those already mentioned, Guild Bank, Activety, Laurel Merchants and Weapon/Armor NPCs(who actually uses those however?) could be introduced.
TL;DR: Your Home Instance becomes an awesome-r version of Airship/Terrace if you are ready to buy upgrades.
Would YOU like your home instance to feel like a welcoming place? Do you agree with the ideas I’ve proposed?

(edited by Evalia.7103)

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Home instance is pretty useless right now if you put the nodes apart. Players don’t e ven notice new NPC since there’s no use staying in their instance. So I guess it’d be better with some useful NPC…

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

It’s been spoken about before. I for one would love to have the option to upgrade the home instance. As it is, despite having node upgrades, I never visit it.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

They have to balance appealing and useful home instances versus making the outside world look empty of players because they are all inside there homes or guild halls.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Dark Magi.8947

Dark Magi.8947

The only reason is to mine the nodes, infact you can not even stay in that instance if you log out. Atleast not the last time i checked.

Evalia.7103

Do you think it’s okay for home instance to remain a place to mine your nodes?
RAWR!! I want a real home in GW2.

Posted by: BlizzShark.5410

BlizzShark.5410

Do you think it’s okay for home instance to remain a place to mine your nodes?
RAWR!! I want a real home in GW2.

Finaly someone with a brain New location, new home, new stuff. This fake home instance is a fail xD

[PTF] BlizzShark | Seafarer’s Rest

Evalia.7103

Do people really not care about their home instance? Aww… :-( It could even make a nice series of gem store items, you know.

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

They have to balance appealing and useful home instances versus making the outside world look empty of players because they are all inside there homes or guild halls.

Well, here are some compelling reasons to leave guild halls and home instances: it’s where the rest of the game is, it’s where you can get upgrades for your Guild Hall and/or home instances, and because your friends might want to do something outside of either.

Now, as for the rest of this thread, I concur wholeheartedly home instances need some major new additions, some of them could even be purely cosmetic, like holiday event decorations.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Repair NPC’s/stations: 800 gems/$10
Trading Post: 800 gems/$10
Bank: 800 gems/$10
General Goods Merchant: 800 gems/$10
Mystic Forge: 800 gems/$10
Crafting stations: 6400 gems/$80 (800 gems/$10 each station)
Guild Bank, Activity, Laurel Merchant, Weapon/Armor NPC: 4000gems/$50 (800 gems/$10 each)

That feeling as Anet rolls naked in a mountain of hundred dollar bills: Priceless.

There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else there’s Mastercard.

Posted by: Veprovina.4876

Veprovina.4876

Pimp my home instance! I like the idea!
I don’t want it to look differently, i want all the charr there and looking all steampunk and the way it does…

I just want the little things to add to make it really mine.

Ravos Xar, Ash Legion Charr Mesmer

Veprovina.4876

Repair NPC’s/stations: 800 gems/$10
Trading Post: 800 gems/$10
Bank: 800 gems/$10
General Goods Merchant: 800 gems/$10
Mystic Forge: 800 gems/$10
Crafting stations: 6400 gems/$80 (800 gems/$10 each station)
Guild Bank, Activity, Laurel Merchant, Weapon/Armor NPC: 4000gems/$50 (800 gems/$10 each)

That feeling as Anet rolls naked in a mountain of hundred dollar bills: Priceless.

There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else there’s Mastercard.

I would totally not buy any of that since there’s all that just a waypoint away in the black citadel… And it wouldn’t at all make my home instance any more convenient or “feel mine”…

But i do get the joke.

Posted by: Andiela.3759

Andiela.3759

Pff more npcs?
Have you played sylvari? Seriously my home instance is not private at all. I have public showers in there with some random NPCs that i dont know. Training dummies, where young sylvari are learning to fight. And the nodes randomly stared growing in middle of passage so many times i have issues pass them without collision.
To be honest i saved Tyria and im still living in the same flat since i was young sappling. And you know Pale tree is nearby so its almost the same as living with you mother.
Seriously have you seen Caithes home? Even its really small she has private bath there with awesome waterfall!
I deserve better place. :P

Veprovina.4876

Pff more npcs?
Have you played sylvari? Seriously my home instance is not private at all. I have public showers in there with some random NPCs that i dont know. Training dummies, where young sylvari are learning to fight. And the nodes randomly stared growing in middle of passage so many times i have issues pass them without collision.
To be honest i saved Tyria and im still living in the same flat since i was young sappling. And you know Pale tree is nearby so its almost the same as living with you mother.
Seriously have you seen Caithes home? Even its really small she has private bath there with awesome waterfall!
I deserve better place. :P

Hahaha! The same is with Charr characters!
But the carr are characterised as such, always in a pack (warband), never alone, so their home instance kinda fits the theme. It’s a training camp where they all live. The whole citadel is a war barracks camp thing.

Don’t know about other races though. :P

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Home instance was a failiure… it is only used in the personal story or by some maniacs to farm crystal or candy once a day. There is nothing personal or to make it feel “home”. Just a bunch of NPCs you run along in the personal quest.

Soooo much room for improvement there but well,… flaming and sparkling items in the gemstore are priority I guess…

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Azrael.4960

A home instance, without actually having a home. Do characters live on the street or do they really spend all their time roaming the world?

Veprovina.4876

A home instance, without actually having a home. Do characters live on the street or do they really spend all their time roaming the world?

I like to picture the Charr living on the streets just sleeping anywhere.
Kinda like real cats, they don’t care much where they sleep. :P

They should add some sleeping charr in Black citadel randomly across the map. :P

Norn get drunk and sleep in the snow for example (as seen in some heart quests haha).

But really, if we’re going in such detail, where are the bathrooms?

Azrael.4960

They should add some sleeping charr in Black citadel randomly across the map. :P

Norn get drunk and sleep in the snow for example (as seen in some heart quests haha).

Behind locked doors of course! Sylvari have waterfalls for showers or they just jump into the nearest stream, besides a bit of dirt is good mulch. Norn probably just roll in the snow, Charr lick themselves clean and Asura just walk through a portal or use static electricity.

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

Oh yes, improve home instance.

I love OP idea. Add all services there. Unlock them through achievements. (like reach 500 craft level for station upgrade for home instance is great idea it would motivate me to level up my craftings).
Some things would be ok to be buyable for gems. Like a teleport to Home instance. Or Black Lion NPC – Trading Post upgrade (It makes sense)
There are many many ideas for the others upgrades.

Also give more living world things there! Nodes and Skill point were great, but why not add more? We get Refugee Child’s Drawing? Put it on the wall! Why you wanted us to eat it? http://s21.postimg.org/e9wt2e9sn/aaa.jpg
We killed Ancient Karka? Put her part as a trophy on a wall in Norn Home (or put it on fire for dinner in Charr Home)

Also in near ( I hope) future, add a place in Home Instance where we can actually put our real home. (add housing please )

Veprovina.4876

Hahaha, i almost fell down laughing at that image and the charr dinner!

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

+1
I would buy this
I go in, mine my nodes, and hit exit immediately.

Naz ©

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I have a very narrow hope that a real home instance, player housing, will come out of expanding into a new area. Almost like a frontier cabin, and we can gradually build it up to a full home with trophies and a garden~

Doubt it, but that’s what I hope for.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Yeah, I hope for that too. It might be more likely than we realize, given that so many games are doing that now. There are so many great possibilities for this in GW2.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

OMG I so Lol’d at this as before I left WoW there was a 56 page thread on their forums about why there were no bathrooms in WoW ( which devs replied to rather than why the servers are neglected and dead 90%)

Dark Magi.8947

I think i saw a question some where else about this, or heard on as well. Some magical stream or something. Which i think the response kind if lacking…

Posted by: Ashkael.2859

Ashkael.2859

how bout this? to start the season 2 of living world events and (hopefully) permanent new features that matter.
an airship such as the one you have to have a ticket to enter, after a sudden burst of energy from an ‘unknown’ source undergound, crash lands down the new map which supposedly is the maguuma jungle where diverse new tribes of monsters that arent just recycled reworks of already existing tribes are thriving.

the airship’s passengers are various merchants and artisans of different disciplines and at the time of the crash, the airship is also transporting an artifact of great power.

new permanent quests:
• missions to rescue different artisans that have been captured and imprisoned by different tribes that people have to complete in order for them to join the player and be permanent npcs in their home instance. missions can be either instanced or group event.
•mission to recover the artifact. after finishing the rescue mission, an elaborate hunt will be started in the effort to track down the artifact which so happens to be a friggin precursor. can only be done once per account and it will have various requirements like personal story completion, map completion, dungeon completion. another requirement would be the pact weapons as catalyst to absorb the artifact. a new, account bound pact weapon would be created and the type that is chosen will be the form the precursor will take. other requirements will be included at the time the feature is released. ( pleaseeee me wants twilightttt and me dont wants to grind for gold lol.)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

GW2 has the worst housing instances i’ve seen in an mmo. lol.
Rift’s is really amazing. Swtor is getting a good one. WoW is getting garrisons, which looks cool. Lotro and EQ2 have amazing ones. I think Wildstar has one? It’s just a wasted opportunity for Anet, since they could actually utilize the Home instances for the Gem Store. World drops, dungeons, living story, and achievement rewards could be acquired also. Oh well.

Dark Magi.8947

GW2 has the worst housing instances i’ve seen in an mmo. lol.
Rift’s is really amazing. Swtor is getting a good one. WoW is getting garrisons, which looks cool. Lotro and EQ2 have amazing ones. I think Wildstar has one? It’s just a wasted opportunity for Anet, since they could actually utilize the Home instances for the Gem Store. World drops, dungeons, living story, and achievement rewards could be acquired also. Oh well.

Runes of Magic had a good one aswell.. That games is a pay – 2 – win though.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Guys, don’t give them ideas, as they’ll make the home instances part of Skynet, allowing a big random crowd to populate the instance (see main cities) instead of what we have right now.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Veprovina.4876

OMG I so Lol’d at this as before I left WoW there was a 56 page thread on their forums about why there were no bathrooms in WoW ( which devs replied to rather than why the servers are neglected and dead 90%)

Haha, well you know, they gotta have priorities as to which thread to reply to. :P

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think the problem is that this isn’t a very high priority for ANet (unless a dev wants to prove me wrong?). Again if ANet could wave a magic wand and give us a proper home instance they would. Remember the Wardrobe wasn’t priority either but thanks to a (I have no idea who) single/group of devs working on it in their spare time we finally got it. Maybe someone is looking at this as well, but who knows.

Veprovina.4876

Well of course it’s not a priority, it just would be nice to have around. If ANet gets around to it, cool, if not, ok…

I’m much more satisfied with them making the living story and making the game better than some home instance.

It’s a cool idea, yes, but for me at least it wouldn’t add that much to the game that i’d consider it a priority.

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Yeah, the Charr home instance is pretty much useless. If I’ve helped defeat the great dragons, I should at LEAST get private quarters or an office. The only change over time is that a few random (and basically useless) NPCs appear. Yay. Nothing that really reflects the massive changes in the world that in theory took place. No chance to decorate my ‘home’.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

I think it would be better if, say, a home instance was where you could pick up a single temporary partner. say the order representative who stays in your homestead. to others they’re just ‘(order) partner’ but you see their name. not Op but able to provide ample support.

Another idea is something like unique structures or functions, ranging from cosmetic RP stuff (addressing your Krewe in Rata Sum or drinking at the bar for Divinity’s reach, having a small musuem of artifacts from dungeons you’ve completed, etc.) to more unique functions that have use – personal Pact airship or transport platform that drops you off at unlocked waypoints for free as a reward for finishing your PS.

Just some ideas on how home instances can have function but remain uniquely attractive.

Elric.6971

A big suggestion I have for home instances, and an ambitious one, is to make them a regular hub of content activity. Specifically, each day, on your active tasks bar (thought a menu option would allow you to make it invisible), you get a notice of someone wanting to speak to you in your home instance.

This individual would be in tiers that would go Racial (your destiny’s edge mentor), Order (the liaison of you order you chose like Hiroki from the Vigil for humans), and Pact (just a fairly random guy here), and thus, they would also tie into your personal story. Each of these tiers has a small selection of missions (maybe three for racial, four for order, and five for the Pact).

Ideally, there would be an additional two racial missions based on personal story choices (first invention/college, legion/father, etc.) or even specific choices within like saving Quinn or stopping the gangs. Further variations could be added based on choices you could make before the mission, like either how to approach an objective (sneaky or guns blazing) or even the specific objective on the map (prioritize defeating the enemies or rescuing hostage), and even if this is your first run through of this mission and/or if you have done it recently (so it can change flavor text and even enemy types enough to make it feel less repetitive), how far into your personal story you are, and if you’ve finished certain dungeons.

This is meant to not just increase the potential uses of home instances, but also increase options for repeatable content, give relevance and further development to personal story characters and the personal story itself in general.

As an addeum, ideally, overtime, more missions could be added per-tier, even allowing some missions become full mini-arcs and focusing on minor details (like if you picked Dinky for your warband mate, you could do a special mini-arc where you help him compete in a fighting tournament to take on his biggest bully when he was growing up).

And, other details could be added too (like if you ask why you’re still taking orders from your Order even though you’re commander, you could be told something like “Almorra (if vigil) doesn’t care if you’re the kitten ed Khan-Ur, you signed up with the vigil, you do vigil work, mind boggling, huh?”) and even a fairly cosmetic mission NPC for the Pact who will ask you to give orders and direct troops in a small series of choice text boxes as well as fill you in on the aftermaths of previous ones, just to even give the illusion you are a CO of the Pact.

Posted by: Andiela.3759

Andiela.3759

Asuras sleep inside their golems. Thats why you never see sleeping asura.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Endgame-gem-store/first#post3286336

Posted this last year, just remember it. It is pretty similar to the OP idea. Funny thing, I “predicted” the wardrobe too lol

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, this would be great, but ANet doesn’t seem to care about guild housing or player housing. Fortunately, I got access to Landmark beta. =P

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

Well the fact is and remains the more ppl show up in this thread the bigger it gets the more attention it gets, if everyone wants housing its good for profits and for the community, so i say Yay let the thread grow!

It is something ive been wanting in any MMO sadly i havent played any recent mmos to actually gained that sort of access.

it would definatly make me spend my gold somewhere and give some feel for endgame content thats used other then your character (since mines already totally decked out and i dont really feel the need to get another character all shiny)

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i would do ANYTHING for anet to give me a construction skill, where u build ur own house. starting off with shaggy wood furniture and ugly wood walls and stuff at lv 1 and by 500 building giant statues of myself in solid diamond and marble fire places where i get buffs from logs i throw in and a fancy room with maps and book cases where i can get knowledge scrolls and tomes of experience once a day after building the extremely expensive bookshelfs (yea it would be a huge cash sink this entire thing) and throwing parties where everyone battles the exclusive bosses u can add to ur dungeon basement that drop unique loot not available anywhere else!

DROOL*

Evalia.7103

i would do ANYTHING for anet to give me a construction skill, where u build ur own house. starting off with shaggy wood furniture and ugly wood walls and stuff at lv 1 and by 500 building giant statues of myself in solid diamond and marble fire places where i get buffs from logs i throw in and a fancy room with maps and book cases where i can get knowledge scrolls and tomes of experience once a day after building the extremely expensive bookshelfs (yea it would be a huge cash sink this entire thing) and throwing parties where everyone battles the exclusive bosses u can add to ur dungeon basement that drop unique loot not available anywhere else!

DROOL*

Now that’s… Fabulous. I’d also like to be in possession of my personal Manor, just like Caudecus ;-D

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

A big suggestion I have for home instances, and an ambitious one, is to make them a regular hub of content activity. Specifically, each day, on your active tasks bar (thought a menu option would allow you to make it invisible), you get a notice of someone wanting to speak to you in your home instance.

Given the amount of variables involved I would say that monthly for this kind of thing would be the best we could expect. If we get something from early in the story, from memory for each race there are three possible paths to start along for a total of 15 possibilities. The lesser races quests have one of five possibilities for who is involved, making things more manageable. The order stuff would be more naturally centred around that order’s HQ though.

I’d love to see once a month a new quest like this come along, but even done minimally it would be a huge undertaking.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Basically let us buy stuff for our home instances (the nodes are great), then give us free warps in and out of the home instance. Warping into wvw to do bank and tp stuff is silly. Let me warp into my home, and let me pop back out to where ever I was.

(edited by Katai.6240)

Elric.6971

Given the amount of variables involved I would say that monthly for this kind of thing would be the best we could expect. If we get something from early in the story, from memory for each race there are three possible paths to start along for a total of 15 possibilities. The lesser races quests have one of five possibilities for who is involved, making things more manageable. The order stuff would be more naturally centred around that order’s HQ though.

I’d love to see once a month a new quest like this come along, but even done minimally it would be a huge undertaking.

Ah, the beauty could be that they are updated once a month, but then they fall into a daily rotation.

The theoretical ideal to such content would be that it could be modular (new variables or missions could get plugged in over time) yet repeatable (for minimal work), could be updated at any time, and give players more to do on a daily basis.

As a side note: while the HQ thing makes sense, this is something to help make home instances more useful.

Now, for another idea: while it might not be possible to make home instances completely customizable, being able to have up certain themes go up around the place could go a long way. The themes could change textures, a few props, and NPCS outfits and their idle actions.

For example, a charr player could order the Hero’s Canton to be a bit more “homey” which would include adding some more comfortable plush chairs, dress more charr in town clothing, and a maybe a few posters which seem to advertise/promote chugger racer personalities.

(edited by Elric.6971)

Veprovina.4876

DROOL*

I don’t know about knowledge scrolls and tomes of experience… It’s already very easy to level and (at least) I get a lot of knowledge scrolls randomly from events and chests. It would maybe be too OP. Idk…

As for other stuff…
YES!

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I love the idea of player housing so much. Trophies are such an integral part of the mmo experience for me. The biggest problem I find with not having them is, although you’ve got equipment and weapons to provide that “I was there” type of thing, you can only equip a certain amount of skins at a time. As time goes on, the number of skins as rewards will increase, but the amount you can actually display remain the same. Housing with different types of reward displays would provide a huge incentive for me to continue playing the game.

I mean, after all…. there are no statistical rewards in GW2. All progress is measured and rewarded in ways that don’t make your character stronger. Who needs another backpack at this point? Who doesn’t have a weapon skin for their character that they’re pleased with? GW2 is starving for that tertiary layer of rewards, and housing would be perfect.

Posted by: Simulator.4687

Simulator.4687

another point with the Guild Hall and Home Instance. we wont have the problem you get when you go to cities where you have all the GOLD SELLERS $#$#$ waiting for you. they won’t be in your home and if the were in the guild then the guild masters could boot them. instead we have to wait for Areanet to do something about them. the cities look full. awesome but with the intro of the mega Server they made it easier for people to be harassed which really takes away from the game. A guild hall would be a better idea then home instance. you can meet other guild mates that way. and you can work as a guild for rewards.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Since it’s “my” home [instance] and I’m a hero (after all), can I get my shrines to me back? That’d be nice. A trophy case for my unique weapons that I’ve collected in my travels. A stage to show off the mini’s I’ve collected from my various accomplishments.

Huh, what was that?
It sounds like I’m talking about HoM?
That’s because I basically am. Home instance…..HoM 2.0

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

They’d need all that you listed AND a home instance port choice on the ui. Even LOTRO which was limited in its travel code had a teleport to racial home option even tho it required traveling rations.

It’s just essential really to mmo life.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

So let me start off by reminding you of these two specific items providing access to convenient locations:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Captain%27s_Airship_Pass_
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Terrace_Pass
As we all know(or should know?), our home instance evolves with progression of our personal story. New characters appear, and it becomes more lively and busier overall.
With the introduction of Living Story updates(and gem store item), we’ve also gotten a possibility to get 6 resource nodes as well as a skill point inside our home instance. And that’s really great in my opinion. Now if I could use a Hearthstone(http://www.wowhead.com/item=6948/hearthstone) to get back to my home instance, it would feel even better!

The home instances do not become busier as NPC’s park themselves into them. Those NPC’s do not interact with the home instances at all and will not talk to you. When someone tries to interact with them they simply look at you and remain silent. Before launch ArenaNet told us that our choices in the personal story would reflect upon our home instances to the point that statues would be built for us. No such thing exists in GW2, I would not call what is currently in our home instances “progression.”

Also, as I’m reading your list of update suggestions, it seems like you’re trying to change the home instances into market places instead of homes. Like you’re trying to stuff a “miniature Lion’s Arch” into them when such services like repair anvils/NPC’s, armor/weapon vendors, trading posts, the mystic forge are already easily accessible in cities and corners of the explorable world. Your first post mentions that the Royal Terrance and the airship are not related to your character…

Yet you’re simply copy and pasting their services onto the home instances. I see no mention of anything relating to character achievements or even the giant trophy room that was GW1’s Hall of Monuments. I see nothing relating to character progression or horizontal progression, just copying services that are: A) In the gemstore, B ) Free to use if you have 3 silver to teleport to the cities or use the free LA teleport through sPvP, and C) Will do nothing but empty out the cities with services being closer/accessible from anywhere so no point being in taking the waypoints to cities.