Home instance differences??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: hellcast.9351

hellcast.9351

I had noticed before that different races home instance had different merchants. Human, norn and char, have weaponsmiths and armorsmiths. Norn and Human have the belcher bluff buffs merchant. The char even have the base merchant with gathering tools and salvage items.

But asura and sylvari don’t have a single merchant in their home instances. This has never bothered me before, until today when i was considering buying a home portal stone. The stone can teleport you back and forth only from your racial home instance.

And then it started bothering me. My main is an asura and that means my home instance can only be used to gather my daily stuff and nothing else while almost every other race can go to their home sell their stuff and return to their map.

I don’t know if anyone as ever pointed this out to the anet folks. But to make everyone equal they should all have the base merchant at least!! Or all have the same merchants!!

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’m of the opinion that the human home instance it’s the only one with looking at. The sylvari one makes sense, I guess, what with yen being rather communal and all, but… The norn home instance seems more like a homeless shelter than a proper lodge.

The asura krewe lab is bland and very uninteresting.

The charr barracks makes sense, but like the sylvari home instance, is boring and uninspired.

I wish they people that designed these things actually cared to make stuff that had even the vaguest hint of interest in what was being made demonstrated.

The human home instance is the only one that seems like it wasn’t spat out in ten minutes by a disinterested party, in sum.

I don’t expect that to ever change.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I’m of the opinion that the human home instance it’s the only one with looking at. The sylvari one makes sense, I guess, what with yen being rather communal and all, but… The norn home instance seems more like a homeless shelter than a proper lodge.

The charr barracks makes sense, but like the sylvari home instance, is boring and uninspired.

I wish they people that designed these things actually cared to make stuff that had even the vaguest hint of interest in what was being made demonstrated.

The human home instance is the only one that seems like it wasn’t spat out in ten minutes by a disinterested party, in sum.

hey, i like my charr barracks hiding the wintersday tree all the way in the back behind some buildings and metal tyvm….

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

I played the game for 6 months before I realized I had a “house”.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

There’s probably a developer somewhere swallowing tears along with his pride right about now.

“But I worked really, really h@rd on that thing, I really really did.”

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I would have said almost the exact opposite.

The human home instance looks like they just made the city as a whole, picked a random section and instanced it. And there’s no part of it that’s actually your home. They could swap it with any other part of the city (except the middle and the Crown Pavillion) without making any real difference.

Whereas the sylvari one is fairly unique, even within the Grove. It’s easily the biggest free-standing structure (excluding the Pale Tree herself) and the only one where it looks like you’ve got an actual house. Sure there’s various other people in there and you’re not assigned any particular part of it to be ‘yours’ but there’s several empty bedrooms which you could claim if you wanted to.

The asuran one admittedly doesn’t look like a house, but I’m not sure asura have houses exactly, more a bed in their lab so they can sleep when they’re too tired to keep working. And the fact that our krewe gets an entire area on the edge of the city fits perfectly with the idea that we’re the ‘next big thing’ Snaff Prize Winners as shown in the personal story.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I would have said almost the exact opposite.

The human home instance looks like they just made the city as a whole, picked a random section and instanced it. And there’s no part of it that’s actually your home. They could swap it with any other part of the city (except the middle and the Crown Pavillion) without making any real difference.

Whereas the sylvari one is fairly unique, even within the Grove. It’s easily the biggest free-standing structure (excluding the Pale Tree herself) and the only one where it looks like you’ve got an actual house. Sure there’s various other people in there and you’re not assigned any particular part of it to be ‘yours’ but there’s several empty bedrooms which you could claim if you wanted to.

The asuran one admittedly doesn’t look like a house, but I’m not sure asura have houses exactly, more a bed in their lab so they can sleep when they’re too tired to keep working. And the fact that our krewe gets an entire area on the edge of the city fits perfectly with the idea that we’re the ‘next big thing’ Snaff Prize Winners as shown in the personal story.

It’d be a boring ol’ world if we all saw through the same pair of eyes, aye?

Good to hear someone actually likes the sylvari yurt, I suppose. I just can’t see the appeal of it. It doesn’t strike me as being very carefully made.

Not that it isn’t what you say – I can’t disagree with a single thing you said. I just weight things differently, and it just comes off as slapdash.

Could just be my perspective too.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

What annoys me more is people throwing the word “racism” around at everything that just doesn’t seem “fair”

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

@OP

I recommend first to read “Developing New Perspectives On Race” by Pat A. Bidol.
Then start writing posts about your displeasure.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I think “racism” is definitely the wrong word to use here.

As it is, I rarely go to my home instance on any character, so the lack of merchants doesn’t bother me. As a side note, though, there is a Belcher’s Bluff npc in each home instance.

hellcast.9351

The point of the post wasn’t about aesthetics, i think they should each feel different and they do, and it’s great!

But if you are going to sell an item that ports you back and forth (i miss gw1 guild hall) at least they should all have the same types of merchants. If i use the item with a char i can go buy salvage stuff, sell items, etc and then go back to the same location without wasting a single copper, if i use it with an asura or sylvari i can just gather the nodes and that’s it.

And Belcher’s Bluff npc is not a merchant, there is a separate merchant for Belcher’s Bluff and he is only in 2 home instances i think.

Your were going on about the word “racism”, it’s a word people! You are the ones putting our world view of racism=bad thing. Tyria has races, some have better things in their home instances… i can call it racism.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What annoys me more is people throwing the word “racism” around at everything that just doesn’t seem “fair”

Either people are using it more often nowadays because it’s the new catchword to grab attention or they have absolutely no idea what it means.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

hey, i like my charr barracks hiding the wintersday tree all the way in the back behind some buildings and metal tyvm….

In their defense charr do need to keep up appearances.

hellcast.9351

Ayrilana.1396

Either people are using it more often nowadays because it’s the new catchword to grab attention or they have absolutely no idea what it means.

so i should have said “home instances unfair for some races” do you know whats equal to saying that?

According to Oxford racism is: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

I guess i know what it means…

Is racism a bad thing? Yes it is. Is the word “racism” a bad word? No it’s “a” word. catchword ? maybe in some countries, but it’s been in existence for centuries now.

But this post is not abut discussing a word, so… don’t post if it’s not about the topic.

(edited by hellcast.9351)

Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

so i should have said “home instances unfair for some races” do you know whats equal to saying that?

According to Oxford racism is: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Is racism a bad thing? Yes it is. Is the word “racism” a bad word? No it’s “a” word. catchword ? maybe in some countries, but it’s been in existence for centuries now.

But this post is not abut discussing a word, so… don’t post if it’s not about the topic.

It’s not racism. You’re not understanding the definition and its usage.

Asura and Sylvari don’t have merchants because it would not make sense. Asura are in a lab and Sylvari are in a house.

RoseofGilead.8907

Ayrilana.1396

I’m sorry, but that’s not even close to being the same/equal meaning.

Posted by: Feluraunt.5432

Feluraunt.5432

The evolution of this post is most disturbing.

hellcast.9351

indeed it escalated really quickly. oh the morals. might as well edit the topic and delete the this stupid discussion. maybe tomorrow…

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Heck, I’ve been playing this game for a little over two years and only realized fairly recently that I have a home instance.

Does my character actually have a house within the home instance or is the whole instance considered his “house”?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Heck, I’ve been playing this game for a little over two years and only realized fairly recently that I have a home instance.

Does my character actually have a house within the home instance or is the whole instance considered his “house”?

As I understand it, it’s the part of the city you came from, your neighborhood. But your home instance lacks your home. As first glance, a strange oversight but it’s probably because the human chars can be anywhere from street rat to noble. It would be impossible to have one home that fits. If the other races had homes, then it would be awkward that humans do not.

So, “no home for you”.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Interestingly, the word “Racism” makes more sense to be used in-game than in real life. Why? Because all of humanity is one race. African, Aisian, European, doesn’t matter. it’s the same race; kitten sapiens.

Charr, Asura, Sylvari, Norn, Human, Hylek, etc.? Those are different races.

So “racisim” is more accurate when talking about discrimination in this case.

As for the original topic, I agree that merchants (at least a basic one) should probably be in each home instance.

EDIT: And the filter kicks in on a species name. I should have expected that, but I won’t be changing it.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

If you need to quickly sell stuff, access your bank, or access the trading post, you can go to the PvP lobby and back for free (just remember to use the ‘leave PvP’ option from the PvP menu rather than exiting through the gate to Lion’s Arch). The only thing you really need to go back to the home instance for is to mine your nodes.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Astral Projections.7320

Interestingly, the word “Racism” makes more sense to be used in-game than in real life. Why? Because all of humanity is one race. African, Aisian, European, doesn’t matter. it’s the same race; kitten sapiens.

Charr, Asura, Sylvari, Norn, Human, Hylek, etc.? Those are different races.

So “racisim” is more accurate when talking about discrimination in this case.

As for the original topic, I agree that merchants (at least a basic one) should probably be in each home instance.

EDIT: And the filter kicks in on a species name. I should have expected that, but I won’t be changing it.

The species name for Charr should be Kitten Sapiens. That would be awesome.

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

my asura has the belcher bluff guy. I don’t know what you are talking about. I never notice the merchants because I don’t care for them. never go to the sylvari one. so I’m not sure.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Ayrilana.1396

The definition does not apply at all. Here’s why.

1. Homogenous (content filter….smh….just take out genous) Sapiens Sapiens is the only race of Humans. Modern Humans are biologically alike regardless of what we refer to as race. The races being referred to in the definition of racism are social constructs. Humans of different origins and ethnic groups do differ in appearance, culture, immunities, disease risks, etc…

This is because of genetics. Humans living in a certain area tend to breed in that area with people who share similar traits. These traits however do not define this ethnic group as biologically different.

We can talk about this at more length but I think this point is a fair simple summary.

2. This is not the case in Tyria In Tyria (GW2) there are different races. These races differ in the way a Human, a Cat, and a Dog are different species. These races do have different characteristics and are biologically different. Sylvari, for example, have an entirely different cell structure than the other major races of Tyria.

3. Yes, I agree with Ayrilana and disagree with the OP that these home instances are “racist”. Yes I realize I made a huge point to distinguish real “race” from the races of Tyria. This isn’t on the basis of semantics though.

“home instances unfair for some races” do you know whats equal to saying that?

Not racism. A wood burning stove may be found in a Norn home but not a Sylvari home. Doorways in Human homes are roughly 7 ft. in height but probably closer to 15 or so in a Charr home.

Charr having more spacious homes is not racist to Humans. Norn having wood burning stoves to cook on is not racist to Sylvari. These things are “unfair” in the conventional sense but not unfair when you consider the biological differences between the races of Tyria.

It only becomes racist once you imply the worth of an individual is below or unequal to that of another.

tl;dr – The races of Tyria do “possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race”. It’s only racist when you use those features to distinguish races as inferior or superior to another race or races.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

That is strange, my Asura Home instance has Belchers bluff? It annoys me since my Asura is too refined to drink.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

As I understand it, it’s the part of the city you came from, your neighborhood. But your home instance lacks your home. As first glance, a strange oversight but it’s probably because the human chars can be anywhere from street rat to noble. It would be impossible to have one home that fits. If the other races had homes, then it would be awkward that humans do not.

So, “no home for you”.

Isn’t the Human Noble manor in the home instance? Commoners have a friendly tavern. Admittedly, having a proper house would be suitable for a former commander of the Pact.

RoseofGilead.8907

Isn’t the Human Noble manor in the home instance? Commoners have a friendly tavern.

Correct. Humans who chose Noble have the manor area as their “home”. Humans who chose Commoner have the tavern (I think the room in which Deputy Mira is, for some reason, standing on a bed). Humans who chose the peasant or whatever one have Rook’s Row.

Astral Projections.7320

Isn’t the Human Noble manor in the home instance? Commoners have a friendly tavern.

Correct. Humans who chose Noble have the manor area as their “home”. Humans who chose Commoner have the tavern (I think the room in which Deputy Mira is, for some reason, standing on a bed). Humans who chose the peasant or whatever one have Rook’s Row.

It’s been so long I guess I forgot, or else my one human is street rat and doesn’t have a house. I looked in wiki and didn’t find/missed a reference to a house for humans. My mistake.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Frankly i just stay at the hunting lodge or bed over at the monastery when in QD.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Blame it on ANET for defining “races” instead of “species,” which would actually be the correct term. Within the confines of the game, his use of “racism” isn’t incorrect. Not terribly well applied, but not wrong.

Maybe you shouldn’t bring your prejudices into the game, hmmm? (giggle)

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Ayrilana.1396

Blame it on ANET for defining “races” instead of “species,” which would actually be the correct term. Within the confines of the game, his use of “racism” isn’t incorrect. Not terribly well applied, but not wrong.

Take a look at what the word means and how it’s used. It does not mean that if a race does have something that others have that it is racist. Using the meaning that both if you have would make a ton of things in the game and IRL be racist.

Black Frog.9274

Take a look at what the word means and how it’s used. It does not mean that if a race does have something that others have that it is racist. Using the meaning that both if you have would make a ton of things in the game and IRL be racist.

The racist entity in this (poorly constructed) analogy would be ANET for preferring one race over another. The “races” (species) have different things because ANET makes the choices, not simply as matter of random circumstance (as might be applied to real life conversations of this nature). Preferential treatment on the basis of race would meet the definition of racism.

But none of this is really the point of the thread, why do some home instances have merchants and others don’t? Flavor? The home portal stone implies utility, so perhaps the OP is right and adjustments should be made.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Just chiming in here that all home instances have a belcher’s bluff NPC. Some are just ridiculously deep inside the instance (Asura lab, I’m looking at you).

I used to use WvW for all my banking/TP/merchant needs though, though that may not be advisable if your world is Tier 1, and that will not refund the amount you already spent on the Home Portal Stone…

Which seems to be your main issue here.

P.S. For people who need the functionality. Assuming your world has no WvW queue, the idea is to press B when you need it and log in to any random borderland that does not belong to you, run to the nearby TP/merchant and do your stuff, then press B and click ‘leave the mists’ to instantly be teleported back to the exact spot you were before teleporting into WvW. If you need the bank in particular, the idea is identical, except you have to choose your own world’s borderland, and then you run northeast from the Citadel waypoint to the crafting stations there – which are all banks. It works for the mystic forge if your world has a Garrison Waypoint in its borderland, which is true some of the time.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Ayrilana.1396

The racist entity in this (poorly constructed) analogy would be ANET for preferring one race over another. The “races” (species) have different things because ANET makes the choices, not simply as matter of random circumstance (as might be applied to real life conversations of this nature). Preferential treatment on the basis of race would meet the definition of racism.

But none of this is really the point of the thread, why do some home instances have merchants and others don’t? Flavor? The home portal stone implies utility, so perhaps the OP is right and adjustments should be made.

The Asura home instance is a lab and the Sylvari’s is a house inside a tree. This was not ever an issue until the home portal stone was released. Nobody cared.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

It’s because prior to the stone, every character could access any home instance they wanted, and so differences made no difference to gameplay. The stone is the first item that ties a specific racial home to the character – and different functionality for the same price paid for the item is a problem for those who get the short end of the functionality stick.

People who do not have the stone continue not to care about the differences between the racial homes because they can use whatever home they wish to use regardless of race.

The most efficient fix is simply to allow players to designate which racial home they wish to teleport to on portal stone usage from, say, a 5-item list. Physically changing the homes for this will inadvertently affect users who like the homes they way they currently are.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Black Frog.9274

The Asura home instance is a lab and the Sylvari’s is a house inside a tree. This was not ever an issue until the home portal stone was released. Nobody cared.

And now the home portal stone is a thing, so people care.

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Are you kidding me? Why do people feel the need to throw the race card at EVERYTHING that ‘seems’ unfair? Really? Ugh. -.-;

hellcast.9351

yep this got a “bit” blown out of proportion with the whole racism stuff. People really are sensitive with the word, always meant it in the “tyrian races” sense. But finely people started discussing the topic.

As i pointed out the belcher bluff npc is not a merchant. As to the other solutions yeah i guess i never really noticed the “leave” button, always left trough any of the portals to LA. Guess that makes my point a bit silly now.

I believe they still are going to implement some other kind (not just gather stuff) of stuff to put in the home instance to feel more like player housing. And i bet it will include merchants, and then this will seem important again.

If/When they decide to include player housing it will be easier to just alter these 4 instances to include some customizable area or they will just make another area we have to access… and some other kind of portal stone.

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

Just don’t say “Bookah” to a non-Asura…

Race riots abound!

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

There’s probably a developer somewhere swallowing tears along with his pride right about now.

“But I worked really, really h@rd on that thing, I really really did.”

Tell said dev to go play EQ, RoM, Aion, & Mabinogi.

I’m not saying our “home instance” isn’t nice looking. It was very kind to make us a home instance. Kind like hospital attendants are kind to make rooms for our sick selves in a nice sterile cold germ free I DIDN’T GET TO DECORATE IT MYSELF short stay. But hay it’s lag free and low server pop and that’s what counts in the end these days. I guess.

I also post on guildwars2guru.