Home instance hired labour

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just out of curiosity, how is this different than having a bot farm for you? The only real difference I can see is that it’s a bot bought from the gemstore rather than a bot from an outside program.

It is different in the same way that buying gems to convert to gold is different from going to third party gold sellers. It could generate revenue for the game.

That said, who knows if it would offset any development costs.

In other words…. the only difference is that it’s a gemstore bot rather than an outside program.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I thought.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Just out of curiosity, how is this different than having a bot farm for you? The only real difference I can see is that it’s a bot bought from the gemstore rather than a bot from an outside program.

It is different in the same way that buying gems to convert to gold is different from going to third party gold sellers. It could generate revenue for the game.

In other words…. the only difference is that it’s a gemstore bot rather than an outside program.

Exactly.

As has long been established, official versions of things that would be considered inappropriate if originating with a third party are fine.

They, potentially, add a revenue source for ongoing development of the game. Of course specific elements should be considered carefully to avoid damaging the game.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Exactly.

As has long been established, official versions of things that would be considered inappropriate if originating with a third party are fine.

They, potentially, add a revenue source for ongoing development of the game. Of course specific elements should be considered carefully to avoid damaging the game.

Yes it’s an excellent idea having bots do the boring, tedious gathering and moneymaking parts of the game. I’m all for it myself. I hope they add chest opening bots also. It’s a pain logging in on my chars parked at a JP each day. A gemstore bot to do that for me would be great. Maybe even one that can do my metal and wood node run also. I’d pay for that.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Wait, you would rather spend copper/ silver than to spend actual time to farm the mats in your home instance???

Not sure who you are asking. I would not, and I don’t much care for the idea. However, I’m not going to reject it out of hand, either.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Exactly.

Yes it’s an excellent idea having bots do the boring, tedious gathering and moneymaking parts of the game. I’m all for it myself. I hope they add chest opening bots also. It’s a pain logging in on my chars parked at a JP each day. A gemstore bot to do that for me would be great. Maybe even one that can do my metal and wood node run also. I’d pay for that.

I’m going to admit that I’ve followed your posts on the forums since I started. You always seemed to have a lot of wisdom to offer, and the work you’re doing on the Dev quotes from reddit is exemplary. But …in this particular case, it’s beginning to seem like you’ve got a bee in your bonnet about bots and it’s clouding the conversation. My original issue was that the home instance is taking us away from the social/danger/fun aspects of the game, unlike jp chests and wood/ore runs where we meet other people/fight monsters/conquer the jp. Officially developed bots for farming the home node were my suggestion, but that’s by no means the only or even the best option, as others have already shown here. A bot is not evil by definition, any more than a macro. Some are used for good, some for bad. So let’s put aside the bots and talk about how to make the home instance more interesting. At the very least, could that darn Found Bandit Chest please stop moving around? It’s in a different place every day. It’s my home instance, dangit! Who keeps moving my stuff?!?!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Exactly.

I’m going to admit that I’ve followed your posts on the forums since I started. You always seemed to have a lot of wisdom to offer, and the work you’re doing on the Dev quotes from reddit is exemplary. But …in this particular case, it’s beginning to seem like you’ve got a bee in your bonnet about bots and it’s clouding the conversation. My original issue was that the home instance is taking us away from the social/danger/fun aspects of the game, unlike jp chests and wood/ore runs where we meet other people/fight monsters/conquer the jp. Officially developed bots for farming the home node were my suggestion, but that’s by no means the only or even the best option, as others have already shown here. A bot is not evil by definition, any more than a macro. Some are used for good, some for bad. So let’s put aside the bots and talk about how to make the home instance more interesting. At the very least, could that darn Found Bandit Chest please stop moving around? It’s in a different place every day. It’s my home instance, dangit! Who keeps moving my stuff?!?!

My response was to another person who was said to me that having gemstore harvesting bots was a good idea as long as it was properly managed. He’s the one who brought up a post of mine from over two days ago and restarted the conversation about bots. If you don’t want that discussed, then speak to him about it. I hadn’t posted in this thread since then untill he spoke to me personally and brought the matter back up.

ANet may give it to you.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Exactly.

My response was to another person who was said to me that having gemstore harvesting bots was a good idea as long as it was properly managed. He’s the one who brought up a post of mine from over two days ago and restarted the conversation about bots. If you don’t want that discussed, then speak to him about it. I hadn’t posted in this thread since then untill he spoke to me personally and brought the matter back up.

My apologies then. I guess I misunderstood. All good.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

My response was to another person

You asked a question, I thought that my response answered it.

who was said to me that having gemstore harvesting bots was a good idea as long as it was properly managed.

No I did not.

I stated that it was an unknown as to whether the idea would even recoup resources spent on developing it.

Perhaps it would work, perhaps not. The question that you asked, which I attempted to answer, was not, “is it a good idea?”

What I did say, regarding the, “properly managed,” portion of your claim was that implementing something akin to the OP’s idea would require care on the part of the developers to ensure that it didn’t break the game. No judgement as to whether the idea was good…or bad for that matter, just that care would need to be taken.

Just a flesh wound.3589

My response was to another person

You asked a question, I thought that my response answered it.

who was said to me that having gemstore harvesting bots was a good idea as long as it was properly managed.

No I did not.

I stated that it was an unknown as to whether the idea would even recoup resources spent on developing it.

Perhaps it would work, perhaps not. The question that you asked, which I attempted to answer, was not, “is it a good idea?”

What I did say, regarding the, “properly managed,” portion of your claim was that implementing something akin to the OP’s idea would require care on the part of the developers to ensure that it didn’t break the game. No judgement as to whether the idea was good…or bad for that matter, just that care would need to be taken.

It was a question from Jan 5th (3 days ago) and the thread is no longer discussing gemstore bots and the OP has asked for the thread to not discuss them, so I don’t see a need for us to continue this conversation.

ANet may give it to you.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Uh.. that’s not exactly what I meant. But in the interests of getting back on track, let’s just say there’s room for improvement in the home instance farming and using npcs was one suggestion. Moving on.

Here’s another idea: in the theme of Princess, Mawdrey II and the Star of Gratitude, how about an item that, when clicked, would farm all the nodes in your home instance and put their mats in your inventory, consuming some reasonable amount of silver in the process. Only usable once a day obviously, and doesn’t count towards dailies. Maybe it could be crafted by combining the Home stone with some other items which you would have to find throughout the world, like the Mawdrey quest.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Anet is probably making pointless time sink to give people something to do.

So not likely Anet will change it, since many people already farm home instance anyway.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Maybe there should be some official bots for sale in the gem shop. We’d probably pay a fortune for something that would automate some of the daily “housekeeping” tasks, even if the payback period was half a lifetime. ;p

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I don’t know, Zoltar. Doesn’t that sound like one of those auto-play games? Like you don’t even need to log in to gain wealth?

Have you played Guild Wars recently? The grind required for certain aspects of the game is ridiculous. I am beginning to understand why some MMO’s decided to take this automated approach, the alternative Guild Wars has chosen is painful to suffer through.

Seems obvious to me that most of the team do not actually play the game they make. 10k drinks is a fine example of the issue and disconnect between players and designers.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”