Hope this SMS rumor isn't true

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that some people are opposed to SMS because it will make it harder for them to steal other people’s accounts?

Maybe I’m just a cynic, but when you can’t form a coherent reason for disliking something it always makes me think the worst about the real reason you are opposed to it.

No, I’m opposed to it because giving my phone number to corporations is contrary to security and safe internet use. Which it is allegedly promoting. Just like I won’t give out my phone number to random people on the street. I don’t need people I don’t know calling me when anet sells my phone number. You can make baseless unproveable claims that they don’t sell phone numbers but that is meaningless to me and to anybody who knows better than to trust a corporation with their personal information.

I am also opposed to the alternative using winauth because well winauth is a piece of crap.

Yet I have gone years upon years without any telemarketing phones calls that I didn’t authorize, and I have given my phone number to so many companies over the years. I only give my information to companies that have the privacy policy and agreement to not sell my information. Again, it is all bound by laws, and believe it or not 99.99999% of companies actually obey the laws. So if you really want to worry about that extremely rare company that wants to break the law, then by all means live a life of paranoia. Any other reasonable person will know that nobody will sell their information.

How exactly is winauth a piece of crap?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that some people are opposed to SMS because it will make it harder for them to steal other people’s accounts?

Maybe I’m just a cynic, but when you can’t form a coherent reason for disliking something it always makes me think the worst about the real reason you are opposed to it.

No, I’m opposed to it because giving my phone number to corporations is contrary to security and safe internet use. Which it is allegedly promoting. Just like I won’t give out my phone number to random people on the street. I don’t need people I don’t know calling me when anet sells my phone number. You can make baseless unproveable claims that they don’t sell phone numbers but that is meaningless to me and to anybody who knows better than to trust a corporation with their personal information.

I am also opposed to the alternative using winauth because well winauth is a piece of crap.

So is there a reason for your paranoia? Or are you just convinced that all corporations are part of a grand conspiracy to screw over their customers?

Take off your tinfoil hat for minute and think.
If you do not want to give your phone number out, you do not have to. Period.
Unless you bought your account within the last 8 days, then you do not have to have any type of authentication AT ALL. Period. And still have full access to everything.

From Gaile Gray (and already quoted numerous times):
“As ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien detailed in a recent announcement, ArenaNet is committed to protecting your game account.
Effective at 11:59 pm Pacific Time on August 28, 2015, all newly-created accounts will have SMS restrictions. These restrictions mean that you will not be able to use in-game mail to send items or gold, and you will be unable to access guild vaults. If you wish to eliminate these restrictions, simply add SMS or an authenticator to your account and the restrictions will be removed. Account created prior to August 28 will not experience these restrictions.

Also as pointed out, there are other forms of 2 step verification methods you can use, NONE of which require giving out a phone number to anyone for any reason. You can also use Google Voice for the phone number if you want as well.

Google Authenticator is one of those apps.
You can use a google voice number in place of your phone number with Google Authenticator, but it’s not recommended, as you can get locked out.
There is a desktop version which does the same thing, but does not require a phone or phone number.
(http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-authenticator-for-desktop/25341/)

So there you are several options, including the option NOT to have it, and don’t require you giving out a phone number to anyone for any reason.

You can put back on your tinfoil hat now.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

eisberg.2379

I’ll just add a little clarification just in case, because I have noticed that some people do not know what SMS is.

SMS is the very basic text message that is a basic function in every mobile phone.

True but apparently not all players want to have a mobile phone.

And, of course, you need no mobile phone to use the SMS option, as you can specify voice for landlines.

Not all landline nets are capable of sending/recieving sms over landlines. Also not all phones for landlines are capable of sending/recieving sms.

So if this is made something that is required of all users, they should add a third option.

An easy and reletive cheap system is where you recieve a phonecall and an automated voice reads your code out loud.

I do agree that two way authentification is needed and important, but it has to be in such a way that everyone can use it

You do know that you can use the Authenticator for two way authentification? And you can use WinAuth for that. WinAuth runs on any Windows-Computer. And now don’t tell me someone who’s playing GW2 might not have a Computer…

Using winauth is NOT true two way authentification and has the same issue as an email. It is run on the same computer you play on. So if someone’s security is breeched, it is just as bad as recieving the email. The only advantage is that winauth on itself is much more secure then email.

Two way authentification means you are using two physical devices, so a potential hacker has to hack his way into both.

And all 3 options are kitten.

1- Anet now has my cell phone number.
2- Anet now has my landline number.
3- I’ve now been forced to install shady software because I don’t want to give a company my phone number.

I’ll be honest with you.
I can understand that it is not nice that you are forced to give your phone number. But having the game poluted by goldsellers cause people are using insecure measures are not nice either. So if you don’t use any two-way authentification and you personally don’t care bout your own security and getting hacked, I do believe, the harm done to the community still justifies it.

So assuming (which really is going to be the case) that two way authentication IS going to be required (cause it is needed for the community as a whole). What alternatives that sattisfy you are valid? Keep in mind it has to be two ways (so two devices used).
So the current system of an email is not cutting it.

Also if non of the offered ways are a valid option for you, I think it would be perfectly ok to discuss it with support. I even can imagine that in certain occasions they are willing to bypass the rule (for example after you have proven to use very secure passwords and different passwords on both your email and game, and have shown your other measures like firewalls are up and running)
Or that they give you some kind of compensation (depending on the age of your account and individual purchases) if you have very strong reasons to quit playing over this.

Bottom line is that 2 way authentication is needed for the game and should be the standard. In extreme situations support is always there to give personalised solutions.

Game polluted by gold sellers? How often do you actually run into gold sellers? I run into one or two once a week or so. They usually spam me in whispers and a quick block solves the problem.

Instead of artificially making people think their accounts are safe through shady practices like collecting peoples phone numbers, maybe anet should be teaching people proper security. Like requiring better passwords and encouraging different passwords for different things.

This is just going to replace the “gold seller” support tickets with “I lost my winauth code, I can has game back nao?!” support tickets.

There is nothing shady about asking for your phone number. They have an agreement with you to not sell your personal information. They are bound by law to not sell your personal information with that agreement.

So unless you can actually come up with some actual evidence of different things being shady, stop trying to spread misinformation.

LOL bound by law, I can’t even. The level of hilarity. Have fun, I hope the telemarketers at least leave you alone in the middle of the night. Though I doubt it because they’ll probably be calling from some 3rd world country in a different timezone.

The level of hilarity is coming from your own ignorance. For the US the law is with in the Federal Trade Commission Act. Other countries have a similar laws as well.

And no, I do not get calls from telemarketers, haven’t in many years now, except for ones that I authorize. Also, you are showing your ignorance of the laws again, because telemarketers are bound by law to only call during certain hours. Those hours are : 9am to 9:30pm on Weekdays, 10am to 6pm on the weekends, and those times are bound by the time zone you live in, not the time zone of the telemarketers. Companies outside of the US are also bound by these laws.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What if someone steals my phone? The thief will receive my SMS instead of me.

Which is a 5 or 6 digit number. Which is meaningless if they also don’t have your e-mail address, password and the game installed. And here in the US your phone gets stolen you report it and the mobile provider disables that SIM card and issues you a new one with the same phone number. Or do you mask your identity with disposable cell phones?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Authenticator software doesn’t communicate with anybody. It uses the current computer time and the “16 character secret code” to calculate a six digit number. ANet does the same and asks you for the number and if they match, you’re validated.

Easy peasy.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Instead of artificially making people think their accounts are safe through shady practices like collecting peoples phone numbers, maybe anet should be teaching people proper security. Like requiring better passwords and encouraging different passwords for different things.

I have been using SMS on all important online account that let me do it. I have done this for about 2 years. I never get a phone call from advertiser not 1 time ever. I think you are just paranoid.

;)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You mean like these articles?

Guild Wars 2 account security

Tips for keeping your account secure

What to you want them to do instead? Have each new account begin in a starting instance where an npc teaches them account security? Send an email with this information about account security, that most people won’t read anyway? Is it really ANet’s job, a gaming company, to teach people the fundamentals of computer password security? They put the information out there for all to read. All it takes is enough gumption to look.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

- "Cause lets get some facts straight not everyone has SMS. " – seriously, whoever with access to a gaming pc does not have access to a cellphone?
- “Realistically such a thing is not even in logical sense a good idea of forcing onto future players.” What do “realistically” and “in logical sense” signify here? Did you try to put some fancy terms into your post to give it more weight?

Traditional cellphones will become irrelevant one day. People are using skype, kittentc. SMS is an old technology now. (apparently k-i-k is censored)

Behellagh.1468

And not everybody has free Txt messaging plans, like older people who prefers to use a phone as a phone, to talk to another person.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

And not everybody has free Txt messaging plans, like older people who prefers to use a phone as a phone, to talk to another person.

Which is why there are non-phone based options. There’s a voice option for your phone and two different non-phone options. The google authentication you can use on your phone or an iPad and there are computer authentication programs too. If you’re too paranoid to be using the good two factor security options they have available then you probably shouldn’t be on the internet in the first place.

Behellagh.1468

Which is why there are non-phone based options. There’s a voice option for your phone and two different non-phone options. The google authentication you can use on your phone or an iPad and there are computer authentication programs too. If you’re too paranoid to be using the good two factor security options they have available then you probably shouldn’t be on the internet in the first place.

You missed me talking about WinAuth earlier in the thread didn’t you.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

If they force the authenticator on me, I’ll just delete the game.

eisberg.2379

If they were to do that, what is wrong with using the authenticator?

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

What’s wrong with not using it? It’s much less effort for me to delete the game than to be annoyed by that thing.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

What’s wrong with not using it? It’s much less effort for me to delete the game than to be annoyed by that thing.

Unless you frequently change IPs, you won’t ever even have to use the authenitcator after setting it up.

eisberg.2379

How often does your IP change with your Internet service provider? I have only put in the code I get from SMS 1 time, because it remembers the network range you logged on from and you no don’t have to use the authenticator until you log on with a different IP that is not with in the same range. At least in the US, you’ll keep the same IP for many many months, I haven’t seen a new IP from my ISP for 6 months now, and that was only because I needed to reset my modem to get the free speed increase they gave me.

So if something so petty and minor as that would stop you from playing the game, I am surprised you are playing the game at all, cause obviously you really don’t like that game.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

You do not understand how antivirus work do you? False positives are not uncommon, and almost usually happen on the crappy ones or the free ones.

They can happen on the reputable ones too. I once got sent home from work early because reputable antivirus software gave a false positive that windows itself was a virus, and all the PCs crashed. Some might say it got it right, though…

eisberg.2379

You do not understand how antivirus work do you? False positives are not uncommon, and almost usually happen on the crappy ones or the free ones.

They can happen on the reputable ones too. I once got sent home from work early because reputable antivirus software gave a false positive that windows itself was a virus, and all the PCs crashed. Some might say it got it right, though…

Really? Strange. I have only seen it happen on the free stuff or on the crappy ones like Mcafee.

Stitch.1794

Really? Strange. I have only seen it happen on the free stuff or on the crappy ones like Mcafee.

Bingo. I may have overstated the reputable part

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

I hate this paranoid crap so much. If this ever gets added as a requirement for existing accounts and I can’t opt out, I simply won’t play any more.

No you can’t have my stuff.
:)

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

Stitch.1794

I hate this paranoid crap so much. If this ever gets added as a requirement for existing accounts and I can’t opt out, I simply won’t play any more.

No you can’t have my stuff.
:)

You know the saying, you’re not paranoid if they’re really out to get you. And they are out there trying to break into accounts.

I’d rather be paranoid and safe than regretful and hacked. I’ve used the authentication since it launched (IIRC a few weeks after the game launched), and I’d rather have that minor irritation than not be safe. It’s a bit like it’s a pain to have to check the house is locked up at night or before I go out, but I prefer that to being burgled.

Behellagh.1468

No point in arguing with them, they are dead set against it. Probably not even the primary reason they are in such a disagreeable mood. Probably mad over P4F or the expansion price or core game for “free” in the expansion or issues going all the way back to the launch 3 years ago and are still grinding that axe over or the eventual ascended tier. They are just POed over a game that others are enjoying and for whatever foolish reason they can’t.

Nose … Face.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

There’s a weird disconnect going on in this thread. People don’t trust a company with their phone numbers, but they do trust them enough to install software provided by them on their computers?

If I didn’t trust a company, I’d give them my phone number before I’d let their software run on my system. One can only do so much damage with a phone number, but software? Brrr…

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

There’s a weird disconnect going on in this thread. People don’t trust a company with their phone numbers, but they do trust them enough to install software provided by them on their computers?

If I didn’t trust a company, I’d give them my phone number before I’d let their software run on my system. One can only do so much damage with a phone number, but software? Brrr…

While this doesn’t apply to GW2 or SMS, but with other companies you have to worry about them selling off your contact info and then getting robo-called. So it can be a stigmatism. With software you can just uninstall and be done with it.

Behellagh.1468

While this doesn’t apply to GW2 or SMS, but with other companies you have to worry about them selling off your contact info and then getting robo-called. So it can be a stigmatism. With software you can just uninstall and be done with it.

While true they are also complaining about the authenticator. A piece of software that only processes locally to give you a number to type in against the challenge.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Phone is more important than software. Nowdays people hold important contacts, social network accounts (with passwords for instant access), websites accounts, friends, games they love, youtube profiles, music, very important pictures, memories, payment profiles for shopping in stores, and so on.
A phone is much more important than a PC because of the amount of personal information stored in the phone.

When it comes to a company knowing my phone number, sending me SMS for logins, enforcing me to use their service with my phone, it’s like adding one more thing to the importance of the phone. Gaming should be simple, input username and password, then enjoy the game for a period of time, then logout to join back tomorow.

Let’s say I activate this SMS thingy for security… to secure what?! Adding text messages, like a bank account service, for an online game with no content for 7 months, is not something I personally desire. For 2 months (since announcement) I am still in doubt if I want HoT or not to continue using their new and shiny, but unknown product.

Dual step authentication is justified for a bank account holding my work value. Dual step authentication is not justified for a game designed for casual fun where content is not delivered constantly to keep me tied into it (like it was about 2 years ago with content every 2 weeks).

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Just uninstall? What good does that do after your identity and everything that you keep on you computer has been stolen? Having a bad piece of software on your computer for 5 minutes can be so much more troublesome than your phone number in the wrong hands.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a question of visibility: software works behind the scenes so most of us don’t think about what it does; we use phone numbers all the time (and get spam and scams), so we do think about it.

A lot of people born before TV sets get worried buying stuff online — they don’t want to use their credit card number for Amazon etc. At the same time, they have no trouble giving their entire card to a complete stranger when they go out to dinner, letting the wait staff walk away with the card, and disappear for 5 minutes (or longer).

tl;dr it’s human nature to focus on what we can easily see, then hidden dangers from stuff we just take for granted.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

why not make it easy ANet …

we send in a Photo, finger prints & a DNA sample.

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Qugi.2653

why not make it easy ANet …

we send in a Photo, finger prints & a DNA sample.

many people with newer iphone use finger print to log in to phone. They do not cry about it like people with GW2 worry about a phone number. Like I said before I use SMS for some years with my important accounts. I never have phone spam.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

There is no logical reason, a videogame company needs to require sms/phone verification.
I dont know much about the winauth system, but the phone thing is simply too invasive. It really doesnt matter if they will sell the information or not, they have no reason to have it. Most people would be just as annoyed if anet required people to tell them thier salaries, or what underwear they are wearing.

Also, companies get hacked, or have security lapses, or kitten off employees and get data compromised. If they do not have your data, its less likely for you to have problems. Giving out personal data should always be optional.

And to be honest, the whole extra code thing is annoying. even when i have authenticator things, i tend to not use them, because they are more annoying than they are useful.

Anyhow, probably shouldnt effect me because im an old account, but i sincerely hope they never try to push this open me.

Posted by: Sister Swiftspell.1869

Sister Swiftspell.1869

So is there a reason for your paranoia? Or are you just convinced that all corporations are part of a grand conspiracy to screw over their customers?

Take off your tinfoil hat for minute and think.
If you do not want to give your phone number out, you do not have to. Period.
Unless you bought your account within the last 8 days, then you do not have to have any type of authentication AT ALL. Period. And still have full access to everything.

From Gaile Gray (and already quoted numerous times):
“As ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien detailed in a recent announcement, ArenaNet is committed to protecting your game account.
Effective at 11:59 pm Pacific Time on August 28, 2015, all newly-created accounts will have SMS restrictions. These restrictions mean that you will not be able to use in-game mail to send items or gold, and you will be unable to access guild vaults. If you wish to eliminate these restrictions, simply add SMS or an authenticator to your account and the restrictions will be removed. Account created prior to August 28 will not experience these restrictions.

Also as pointed out, there are other forms of 2 step verification methods you can use, NONE of which require giving out a phone number to anyone for any reason. You can also use Google Voice for the phone number if you want as well.

Google Authenticator is one of those apps.
You can use a google voice number in place of your phone number with Google Authenticator, but it’s not recommended, as you can get locked out.
There is a desktop version which does the same thing, but does not require a phone or phone number.
(http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-authenticator-for-desktop/25341/)

So there you are several options, including the option NOT to have it, and don’t require you giving out a phone number to anyone for any reason.

You can put back on your tinfoil hat now.

I’m not sure if your goal is to get threads you don’t agree with shut down, or you merely struggle to formulate arguments without the need to label and denigrate. But you seem to have an ongoing problem with anyone who questions or is untrustworthy of “authority” and their right for choice (or to ask for it)… Really, you should be more concerned with why this upsets you so much…

@phys – Well said…

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

I followed their link and am using the WinAuth Windows authenticator. Was stupidly easy to set up. I’d recommend going that route, personally.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Again my problem is not with the 2 step authentication itself, but with the frequency I have to use it, whenever my router resets its IP. There seems to be no workaround for this. Im not going to be quitting over it ofc but if they ever make it mandatory for old accounts I can see myself not bothering to log in half as much as i do now due to the hassel.

Posted by: Sister Swiftspell.1869

Sister Swiftspell.1869

Another point to consider is in seeing that ANET reserves the right to change the EULA at any time, you simply don’t know where your information may go in the future. Hence a cautious approach when giving out personally identifiable information is wise

eisberg.2379

Another point to consider is in seeing that ANET reserves the right to change the EULA at any time, you simply don’t know where your information may go in the future. Hence a cautious approach when giving out personally identifiable information is wise

by law they would have to get permission from everybody again to share the information. At least in the US, laws would prevent them doing the scenario you just gave.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Remember, with dynamic IP addresses, the authenticator soon learns the range, and stops asking.

Good luck.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Just a warning that of the given options, winauth is the least secure option as it is not using 2 way authentification. If your computers security is breached, so is winauth. getting a code from an external device is always more secure.

The promise to not share personal information is not in the end user license agreement but in the privacy policy. Within privacy laws it is set in stone, if they change the privacy policy, it will only apply to the personal information gathered after they changed it. for the personal information gathered before they changed it, the old privacy policy still applies.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Behellagh.1468

Winauth isn’t getting any code from an external device beyond the 16 character “secret code” you manually set it up with. Of course if you have a keyboard logger or your system is being remotely accessed so they can fetch the winauth data file, you have bigger issues. 2FA isn’t there to fix that.

2FA is there because too many web e-mail services have either gotten rooted or accounts brute forced to gain access. Authenticator setup doesn’t e-mail a code, it only displays it. It gets around the problem of a 3rd party also having access to your e-mail. SMS or voice messaged the same reasoning. Just too many players who lost their accounts got their e-mail hacked and this avoids e-mail.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I’m not sure if your goal is to get threads you don’t agree with shut down, or you merely struggle to formulate arguments without the need to label and denigrate. But you seem to have an ongoing problem with anyone who questions or is untrustworthy of “authority” and their right for choice (or to ask for it)… Really, you should be more concerned with why this upsets you so much…

@phys – Well said…

My goal is to present the truth and the facts. The problem I have with such threads is that they are filled with misinformation, a strong bias, and straight up lies. This upsets me. Part of the reason is that there are many new players to the game that come to the forums, see stuff like this, and often don’t do the research to find out if its true or not. Then those players are filled with a sense that Anet is actively trying to hurt their players.

I don’t often label or denigrate, but yes I do sometimes. It might be something I should reconsider.

But it’s not trying to get threads I disagree on shut down. It’s making sure that the information presented is accurate, and truthful. There are too many people who cling to an idea and take it for gospel truth, without doing any research whatsoever, and are taking disgruntled peoples word for it.

As for “authority”, I have no problems in questioning authority, but I strongly believe that it should be done with respect, regardless of the authority. It’s not something that is prevalent these days. And something that is not often seen here in the forums.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

There is no logical reason, a videogame company needs to require sms/phone verification.
I dont know much about the winauth system, but the phone thing is simply too invasive. It really doesnt matter if they will sell the information or not, they have no reason to have it. Most people would be just as annoyed if anet required people to tell them thier salaries, or what underwear they are wearing.

Also, companies get hacked, or have security lapses, or kitten off employees and get data compromised. If they do not have your data, its less likely for you to have problems. Giving out personal data should always be optional.

And to be honest, the whole extra code thing is annoying. even when i have authenticator things, i tend to not use them, because they are more annoying than they are useful.

Anyhow, probably shouldnt effect me because im an old account, but i sincerely hope they never try to push this open me.

BUt they do try to push it on you. Does it not “remind” you to do the SMS thing every time you load up the launcher? Because it does to me.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

BUt they do try to push it on you. Does it not “remind” you to do the SMS thing every time you load up the launcher? Because it does to me.

It doesn’t “remind” me to do anything about SMS.

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

It doesn’t “remind” me to do anything about SMS.

This screen pops up basically every time I try to log in.
http://i.imgur.com/dlcmoG3.png

There is no “don’t remind me” option. It just harasses you until you give up and give them your phone number.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

SMS/winauth/smartphone app. None of them are harmful in any way. 2 step verification is not a new evil invention anet created to get your phone number and then under risk of getting sued sell it to vacuum cleaner sellers.

Posted by: Bishop.6120

Bishop.6120

Anet, please remove the annoying SMS prompt on login. The subdued “Ask Me Later” is a cheesy marketing tactic that is beneath you and spoils your legacy. I feel like you are coercing me into giving out my cell number.

Qugi.2653

;)

eisberg.2379

Anet, please remove the annoying SMS prompt on login. The subdued “Ask Me Later” is a cheesy marketing tactic that is beneath you and spoils your legacy. I feel like you are coercing me into giving out my cell number.

You don’t have to give your phone number, that they in fact will not sell to anybody else and not use for anything else other than sending SMS code, you can also use an authenticator on your PC that you run to get a code.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Remember, with dynamic IP addresses, the authenticator soon learns the range, and stops asking.

Good luck.

I really hope this is true, would be great news. So far though no luck with it remembering. Asked me to authenticate this morning. Ive had the authenticator since it came out.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

I really hope this is true, would be great news. So far though no luck with it remembering. Asked me to authenticate this morning. Ive had the authenticator since it came out.

All the previous authenticators have, as well as the email verification. SMS is new, so I can’t really say for sure yet. There hasn’t been much time, or posts yet.

Good luck.

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Try clicking through the authenticator set up. There is a desktop program option. Use it. Its easy, it hasn’t popped up since I registered it. Just make sure to email yourself the code connecting the game in case you get a new computer down the road.

I too refuse to use SMS authentication. Phones change too often, chance of losing/breaking the phone is real and I really don’t need more random callers trying to sell me stuff (actually its now voice recorded messages telling me I won something or to go to some website)

Just register the desktop program and its done. Not sure if its because I’m on a trusted computer but haven’t used it once since registering it. which I like.