How ANET can repair our relationship...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

I, like a huge amount of other players, have felt extremely scorned by ANET over the past year. We have received very little enjoyable content over the past year and the reason ANET said this is was “Heart of Thrones”. Before you stop reading this is not a HoT bashing thread, this is a thread about how I feel ANET has wrong me (and other players in general) and how they can fix it.

Since the end of Scarlet’s terror and our living story episodes there was a major drop off in content. Many people speculate this was due to the development of the Asian servers but I’m not entirely sure myself. After the Asian servers were launched we received a slightly revamped recycled Queen’s Jubilee.

After Queen’s Jubilee we received nothing but the usual recycled events with slight revamps attached to them. Arguably the only completely new content introduced since January 2015 was the Maguuma Wastes maps and Heart of Thrones expansion. So effectively for 1 year and 4 months we have received no actual content updates including festivals or one time events such as the Karka, Marionette, or Dragon Bash.

To add insult to injury PvP and WvW have both received very little in the way of support and development. We will start with PvP, at launch the game came with 4 PvP maps: Legacy of the Foefire, Raid on the Capricorn, Forest of Niflhel, and Battle of Kyhlo. We received more maps in subsequent updates including Skyhammer (July 2013), Spirit Watch (February 2013), and Temple of the Silent Storm (October 2013). Since then we have had Raid on the Capricorn be completely removed from PvP. Eventually it came to pass that Skyhammer and Spirit Watch both were deemed too gimmicky to be considered for competitive play so you are left with four possible maps for that game type.

Since the maps mentioned above have been released we have received two more maps, Courtyard (Team death match) and Stronghold (moba type map). Since their release Courtyard has been deemed to be a non competitive map and Stronghold is in the same boat. So for any competitive PvP player we have been left with the same maps since July 2013. I could go off on a tangent on how pvp balance has flip flopped back and forth from being good and bad at times but this is not the time/place.

Next we come to the WvW scene. It was launched as part of the core game and had no delays (that I remember). The maps were Alpine Bluffs (since retired with the launch of Hot) and Eternal Battlegrounds. Since the release of the new WvW maps (Desert Borderlands?) the WvW scene has nearly dyed off completely. It was originally viewed as a highly competitive place for servers to prove their metal in an all out 1v1v1 battle. Although due to lack of rewards, updates, and development many players have stopped playing the game type (myself included) and many even left GW2 altogether.

Now I have gone over very generally on why I feel let down by PvP, PvE, and WvW. I could have went into much deeper detail on why I feel let down by all three fields but I want to keep this as short as possible.

Here are my proposed fixes for some of these shortcomings. Firstly, start going back to monthly or bi-monthly festivals and events for your PvE loving fans. Many Players including those that prefer PvP or WvW still enjoyed those events and many people play across all three game types.

Secondly for the PvP players, look at your PvP maps that are not able to be considered competitive such as Skyhammer. If those were brought into line with the others we increase our current available maps and help improve map diversity. I would also deem it necessary to support only a single game type until it is decided it no longer needs to be improved upon, we do not need more than 6~8 conquest map types. Once we have enough conquest maps you could then expand into the Team Death Match type maps or MOBA maps like Stronghold. We do not need the developers spread across too many fields at once.

Third and last WvW changes need to be undone. To put it simply almost all your hard work on the Desert Borderlands is considered wasted by the mass majority of the WvW community in GW2. What needs to happen is a revival of the Tournaments. I can’t recall a single point in GW2 where the maps were so full and had such a long queue time (other than launch). The tournaments were so great they would even inspire two servers to work together for it’s entirety to make sure their larger and stronger competitor did not win two seasons in a row. It offered unique rewards via Mistforged weapons and other items sold by the vendor.

If you made it to the end I’d like to thank you for reading.

Allison The Strange.4519

As an after thought I would think it would be extremely beneficial to have an election system set up for players to elect other players to be in on the loop of what your plans are for the game. A game already has the feature (EVE Online) and they refer to them as their “CSM Council”.

You basically would garner support from other players in the game to vote for you by telling them what you support in the game and how you think the company should go about developing their game.

Once the officials are voted in you would have these elected players sign non-disclosure contracts to avoid them talking about the possible ideas or upcoming features of the game. This would avoid getting the masses excited for an feature/event that may never actually come to pass and causing the players to get upset.

Having these players in place would also allow for ANET to bounce ideas and suggestions off of these actual players who love and adore GW2. It would give ANET a real unique insight into what players really want and great way to interact with the community.

Just a suggestion that I think could work very well.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

EVE has a council because of the sandbox nature of the game where it’s the playerbase that is behind the various “events” and not CCP. The council is there to make sure CCP doesn’t alter the base game in a way to screw up all the player generated content as well as adding features to support the same player generated content.

GW2 is a theme park style MMO built around ANet created content, closest thing to what EVE has would be WvW and PvP but that is still heavily managed by ANet. I’m not suggesting ANet doesn’t need more feedback from a wider sampling of players than they currently have to iterate ideas before dumping them on the rest of us, just not something as formal as EVE’s council. They did this with raids.

As for festivals, I don’t want to see festivals for the sake of festivals to fill time. Right now we have three between the last half of October and first half of January. That’s one about every four weeks with each lasting two to three weeks. We don’t need to fill the remaining nine months with annual festivals, we need new content as well as a few annual events like SAB and QJ. LS 1 did a good job with that, it just wasn’t persistent. LS 2 is persistent but tied to the launch of the expansion. LS 3 sounds like it’s a branch off of HoT which is a problem when the vast majority of your maps aren’t tied to HoT.

Having the majority of future content exclusive for level capped players will be a problem. It will encourage the mentality that didn’t exist here in the past that 1-79 should be rushed through to get to “the good stuff”. What happen to the notion that zones will have “fun” content for all levels (zone minimum to level cap)?

I would like to see future expansions be lateral is scope rather that exclusively level cap. Give us more areas to level up our characters through rather than a “different” leveling system for just our 80s.

But that’s my two coppers.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

We have received very little enjoyable content over the past year and the reason ANET said this is was “Heart of Thrones”.

At least in GW2 you don’t have to wait 3 seasons to see a dragon…

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Two things:

1. It’s not a democracy. Anet make stuff and we choose to play it or not to play it and that’s how it should be. I don’t want to play a game that is designed by committee.

2. Allison. It kinda sounds like you are done with the game for now. Take break. See how you feel in a month or two. It’s not meant to be a punishment.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Still wonder why they havent added a capture the flag type of map tbh

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m pretty sure you got auto corrected or just typoed, but I’ll note that in a relationship the other side is more likely to want to work things out with you if you know their name.

Heart of Thorns. Spiky things on vines in the jungle. Not iron sword chairs you sit on.

Allison The Strange.4519

Two things:

1. It’s not a democracy. Anet make stuff and we choose to play it or not to play it and that’s how it should be. I don’t want to play a game that is designed by committee.

2. Allison. It kinda sounds like you are done with the game for now. Take break. See how you feel in a month or two. It’s not meant to be a punishment.

What I’m referring to would not be a democracy… What I’m referring to would be allowing for more player input and suggestions directly to the game developers… They would of course still have the fine say in all matters but I’m certain it would help development greatly if ANET actually had some real player input that they listened to…

I’m pretty sure you got auto corrected or just typoed, but I’ll note that in a relationship the other side is more likely to want to work things out with you if you know their name.

Heart of Thorns. Spiky things on vines in the jungle. Not iron sword chairs you sit on.

I did lots of copy/paste and I prolly spelt it wrong and auto correct tied to fix it for me… Or maybe a just a kitten moment…

Also I am pretty sick of the game and I’ve actually been taking a break, I haven’t been logging in for dailies… I just wish I wouldn’t have to wait 6~9 months for the gamestate to actually have advanced a little bit if it all… In all of year 2015 we only received a single content release and that was HoT… Here we are 1/4 through 2016 and still no decent content release (if your a person who was not impressed by HoT)

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

People should be vocal about what they like and don’t like. Anet needs that information to help guide the direction of the game. The problem is that when people post about stuff they don’t like, they get dogpiled here and people pretend they are the only one. Then Anet operates with little to incorrect information and makes a lot of people unhappy.

So keep being vocal. Be respectful, of course, but be vocal.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

ArenaNet has a program for player input/feedback. It’s called Playtest Volunteer. Their opinions and experiences can help us shape the best possible experiences. Anyone can sign up for it.

Although, there has been a content drought, Heart of Thorns wasn’t the only content released in 2015…not even the only new content released. It’s always best to be as accurate as possible. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Player feedback is great but the thing is ANet has access to information we as the players do not have. They know how many bought the expansion and how many have not. They know how many are actually playing in each map(s) and how long they stay in the map(s). They know how many play each profession and how many of each guild hall has been taken. They have all kinds of numbers that we just do not have access to. So while you think that just because you don’t do X that no one does. There may be more playing in X area than you know and doing X in the game.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

What I’m referring to would not be a democracy… What I’m referring to would be allowing for more player input and suggestions directly to the game developers… They would of course still have the fine say in all matters but I’m certain it would help development greatly if ANET actually had some real player input that they listened to…

They do take in player input. They do read the forums. Even though they may not be as communicative as you (and others) would prefer, but imo that’s how it should be.

The player zeitgeist is only one of a myriad of metrics that they need to consider for any changes, additions, and improvements to the game. By making your suggestions and commentary on the forums, you are informing them… the popularity of those suggestions informs them… but they have player/game data, budgeting, staffing, balancing, and programming feasibility considerations to make, too… and I don’t think any of those are any less or more important than the forum commentary.

If they were to be as active on the forums as some people seem to want, then the forums would become about us talking to them, instead of us talking to each other like a community should. The discussions we have with each other are probably more valuable to them than us all just talking at them.

Just because someone has an amazing idea for a change or improvement, doesn’t make it feasible. The likelihood of the person not understanding important mitigating factors is very high. It’s a waste of resources to devote so much direct attention to community involvement in game development: too many cooks spoil the broth.

~EW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

nothing really for me…….i was already looked at as a lab rat. from this point on, it’s not about faith and belief in them, it’s about ….these game doctors know how to make a good game, either they make it and i’ll play it, or i’ll find something else that is either productive or fun while they figure it out.

It’s like having someone you used to think of as a best friend, and one day you see that they are just manipulating you. – the game changes. Nothing personal about it anymore. I get it, what can they do to get me to spend money….it’s all good, it’s all business, i can play that too, what can i do to not spend money. nothing personal.

none of that “omg, my best friend needs me now!!” anymore. it’s just a game.
They are a game developer, i am a customer. nothing wrong with that.

there was a time, that i would travel many miles just to get a magazine that did a write up about guildwars and had a code for a special mini, it meant a lot to me to support my friends who showed me a ton of fun back then. every expansion was a guaranteed sale with me, because of all the fun they showed me during holidays and i had momentos of every christmas and holloween they did that made me smile. in fact, the best new items out were our gifts. – that’s over.

today my vault is full of meaningless trinkets in a game trying to sell me more space. I’m left to choose what to throw away.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

Honestly, I think you expect too much. There is no way for a company to keep ahead of the content curve. The reason that they had a big content drought post-LWS2 was because they had to shift to making expansions, because Living World was unsustainable.

At some point people should accept that they will eventually run out of content and accept they are bored with a game.

Although, honestly, the current content “drought” is a myth. They’ve been releasing raids pretty regularly. I’m not saying you have to play and enjoy raids, but accept the fact that they are releasing content, it’s just no what you are interested in.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

Although, honestly, the current content “drought” is a myth. They’ve been releasing raids pretty regularly. I’m not saying you have to play and enjoy raids, but accept the fact that they are releasing content, it’s just no what you are interested in.

See that’s the issue for a lot of people, they don’t want to raid and/or they didn’t buy HoT so they can’t raid but Anet put all their eggs into the raid basket. The issue I think Anet faces is they’ve split the community into several camps and they can’t service most of them (i.e. HoT maps, raids, WvW, PvP, general PvE, living story, personal story, dungeons, free to play, e-sports, gem store and so on…). As a result we know they’ve pulled the legendary team from producing legendaries, so what team goes next WvW? This is a classic case of project over-scope and I don’t know what they can do to remedy the situation without hurting or amputating a large portion of the game.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

To be honest, not sure what you mean by “relationship” I mean, they make the game, I play the game. If I don’t like the game, I go play another game.

I made the mistake with the last game I played, staying with it long after it stopped being fun, and to be honest, all I did was make myself unhappy playing the game. I have no plans to make that same mistake with GW2.

I enjoy this game, I enjoy playing it, in the here and now, today, that is all that matters.

Shouldn’t that be enough for everyone? Log in, have some fun, log out.

Whatever will be.. will be..

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Ricky.4706

i’ve been playing since gw1 started, I know how fun it was and could be. I’m tainted.

there is nothing about this new grinding rules, gated content and elitism that pays honor to what gw1 was. 1 character was an endless amount of builds in gw1 – in gw2 1 armored character is months of work to have some obsessive player tell you it’s not good enough.

Even with elitism in GW1, you didn’t have to grind your life away to get a new build – it was all there and you could change your build set up in minutes. – if anything they were elitists about rank, not armor.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Just fix WvW, add more fractals and bring back Living World and I’ll play the game again.

All the same kitten that’s been in this game forever…

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Allison The Strange.4519

Just fix WvW, add more fractals and bring back Living World and I’ll play the game again.

All the same kitten that’s been in this game forever…

In a nutshell that’s basically what I’m asking for along with better PvP development.

To be honest, not sure what you mean by “relationship” I mean, they make the game, I play the game. If I don’t like the game, I go play another game.

The relationship between the consumer and producer… If your producer wrongs the consumer (or the consumer believes they have) the producer in most cases will actually listen to your complaints. It seems that the majority of complaints on the forums gets overlooked again and again. I’m not talking x class being too OP or y class being too UP… I’m referring to basic quality of life things such as build templates which have been asked for since launch…

The reason that they had a big content drought post-LWS2 was because they had to shift to making expansions, because Living World was unsustainable.

Oct 2012 1st halloween
Nov 2012 southsun cove opened
Dec 2012 1st wintersday
Feb 2013 New pvp map
April 2013 1st SAB
April 2013 Flame and Frost, new dungeon
May 2013 Last stand at southsun, New dugeon, New meta event, Guild puzzle
June 2013 Dragon Bash
June 2013 Sky Pirates of Tyria, New dungeon, New jumping puzzle
July 2013 Bazaar of the Four Winds, Skyhammer PvP map, New activities
July 2013 Voting for candidates, more activities
Aug 2013 Queen’s Jubilee
The list goes on and on with a minimal MONTHLY update… That is until Jan 13, 2015…

After Jan 13th we received no real content until Heart of thorns, Oct 23, 2015. We were promised many things included updated fractals, legendary weapons, etc etc and very little of it was delivered… But once again this is not meant to be a HoT bashing thread, we all know anet failed to deliver what they had promised.

So I guess now people are satisfied with only receiving updates to game once every 2 months for a single raid wing and some new gem store stuff… When I started GW2 it seemed as though the developers poured their hearts and souls into development but they lost that mind frame somewhere along the line…

Although, honestly, the current content “drought” is a myth. They’ve been releasing raids pretty regularly. I’m not saying you have to play and enjoy raids, but accept the fact that they are releasing content

I will give you the fact they are releasing raids although, what else are they doing to support the rest of the game? We have zero new content outside of two new raid wings since HoT launch (Oct 23, 2015). That is about the equivalent of two dungeons. It has taken them 5 months to produce what they have shown us in the past in a fraction of the time. Even if they just released new content like the old Dragon Bash, which only came with a single new activity and a few open world things, it would greatly improve peoples attitudes (myself included). What ANET has done, as pointed out by someone else, is put all their eggs into one basket which is RAIDS… A massive amount of players don’t do raids and it is a very niche gameplay style of GW2 only found in that aspect of the game.

(edited by Allison The Strange.4519)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Trust me, you don´t want a CSM here. The CSM is voted by majority, and although I don´t deny that decent people were selected when I still played EVE, the large majority who voted for them were voting for their power ambitions and not the best for the game. A guy from TEST and several CFCs made the council multiple times, but you don´t want people like that to have a say in GW2. You really dont.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

When I started GW2 it seemed as though the developers poured their hearts and souls into development but they lost that mind frame somewhere along the line…

They did, but you can’t keep doing that forever, and a long time ago they decided it was unsustainable.

If that’s the kind of content schedule you feel you should be getting, it’s probably best you move on.

What ANET has done, as pointed out by someone else, is put all their eggs into one basket which is RAIDS… A massive amount of players don’t do raids and it is a very niche gameplay style of GW2 only found in that aspect of the game.

Well it also has by far the least content in relation to other game modes (except WvW I suppose) despite having the most regular recent releases.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

First people cried that temporary content was bad .. then we got LS2 with much
less updates than LS1.

Then people cried they prefer to have a “real expansion” instead of LS .. and thats
where we are now.

Anet now already works on the next “real expansion” and has not even enough
people to finish the first one .. but hey .. the “community” wanted it.

The same like the “community” was permanently complaining about armorsets
in the BLTP .. hey now we get nearly no armorsets at all anymore .. but the
“community” wanted it.

So .. say big thanks to the GW2 community.

Personally for me the best time in the game was when we had LS1 with new
updates every 2 weeks .. and new armorsets every month in the gemstore,
after that it went just downhill to grinding gold to buy everything i wanted
and no there isn’t even anything i can buy with my gold.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Behellagh.1468

Well we now get armor sets when substantial new content is released. Which is a problem with the content drought. HoT contained a few that you could earn as rewards but players really don’t want to earn things, even though they say they do. And with gold to gems, players were milking dungeons for all their worth to pay for their gem shop armor anyways and therefore they were “free”.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

“Player input” is what got us expansions, which is why we no longer have lots of monthly free content.

Ever hear the expression “don’t buy the cow if you can get the milk for free”? We were getting the milk for free and many of our fellow players complained long and hard about how they would rather pay for it because that somehow makes it better. Now we get less milk AND have to pay for it.

Player input is the last thing we need more of…

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

“Player input” is what got us expansions, which is why we no longer have lots of monthly free content.

Ever hear the expression “don’t buy the cow if you can get the milk for free”? We were getting the milk for free and many of our fellow players complained long and hard about how they would rather pay for it because that somehow makes it better. Now we get less milk AND have to pay for it.

I totally agree with you on that 1. There was a time when I actually enjoyed this game and had lots of fun things to do but apparently too many people were complaining about things and EVERYTHING got changed in a way that made it no longer fun and some things even got completely removed. Now I pretty much have nothing left to do but the dailys which aren’t really fun but I feel like I must do them.

Behellagh.1468

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Beldin.5498

I totally agree with you on that 1. There was a time when I actually enjoyed this game and had lots of fun things to do but apparently too many people were complaining about things and EVERYTHING got changed in a way that made it no longer fun and some things even got completely removed. Now I pretty much have nothing left to do but the dailys which aren’t really fun but I feel like I must do them.

Yeah .. in the end it all changed to the bad because of constant complaints

Beside LS1 and armorsets its also the whole change from “play like you want”
to now “play what we tell you to play” .. and thats mostly because people complained
about missing “endgame” and that they want to “earn” their rewards.

Heck i rather farmed the gold for 10 armor sets in the gemstore than doing all
those kitten LS2 achievements for the luminous armor.

Or Tyria mastery points .. if i ever wanted to make a new legendary (lol) i first
have to unlock all the mastery points for that, and thats mostly all stuff that is
absolutely no fun for me .. so in the end i’m happy they canceled the new legendarys.

And don’t let me start about raids.

Oh .. and where is my stalker btw. that always jumped on me whenever i said
something against raids .. haven’t him seen for a long time .. didn’t made the
raids him stay in game ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Two things:

Committee? Really?

It is called peer review friend and it is a good thing.

Arena Net certainly do not operate as a democracy, but perhaps they should. If they listened more they would weed out a lot of the trash `content´ no one wants. (NPE etc)

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What about the expression, “I’d like to buy a cow so I dont keep getting stuck with rancid milk?”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

What about the expression, “I’d like to buy a cow so I dont keep getting stuck with rancid milk?”

The milk wasn’t rancid, though if you were expecting Orange Juice instead I can see how you might think that.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Beldin.5498

The problem is, you didn’t noticed they sold you a bull instead of a cow .. so no milk at all ^^

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I totally relate to this.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The milk wasn’t rancid, though if you were expecting Orange Juice instead I can see how you might think that.

To each their own. I consider the LS concept to be brilliant, truly admirable, but both season 1 and 2 were horrid IMO.

Horrid, rancid, choose your adjective.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’d recommend arriving with flowers. Then ANet has to take us to a movie, followed by the amusement park. After that should be a really expensive dinner.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Naix.8156

Naix.8156

Two things:

Committee? Really?

It is called peer review friend and it is a good thing.

Players are NOT the peers of the dev team. A peer review would be if Anet invited some dev’s from another company/game over to get feedback.

Arena Net certainly do not operate as a democracy, but perhaps they should. If they listened more they would weed out a lot of the trash `content´ no one wants. (NPE etc)

Operating a game as a democracy would be a terrible idea. I can tell from your post that you aren’t a working member of society, so consider this: have you ever tried to pick a movie or a place to eat with a group of friends? It takes much longer to make a decision more people involved, and in the end you still don’t make everyone happy.

Your point on the ‘trash content’ is something that I’ve pondered as well. I think that Anet makes content that will resonate with a majority of their player base which seems obvious. So I imagine when they see mouthbreathers doing lap after lap after lap on a shovel train in silver wastes, or k-training in in EotM, or champ training in queensdale or frost gorge sound, or blobbing down queens pavilion or Halloween labyrinth or semi afk’ing auto-attacking world bosses, etc etc – Anet comes to the conclusion that players are doing this or behaving this way because they like it. And I don’t think that their conclusion is wrong. Try to be objective, and from your experience/observations what do you see the majority of players playing in game? If I were in Anet’s shoe’s I’d likely play it safe and make more of what’s popular (hence HoT maps are a reskin of the silver wastes – but with timers added to slow players down on consuming the content). Is it ‘trash content’? Largely yes, but it sells.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

People were tired of tiny bites of content that was, at best, mediocre, and wanted a massive chunk of real content. Something on the scope and scale of Factions or Nightfall (not technically expansions, but functionally they were for most people), with all the trimmings. Don’t blame the players for Anet being unwilling or unable to provide that.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

People were tired of tiny bites of content that was, at best, mediocre, and wanted a massive chunk of real content. Something on the scope and scale of Factions or Nightfall (not technically expansions, but functionally they were for most people), with all the trimmings. Don’t blame the players for Anet being unwilling or unable to provide that.

Pretty much. ’Tis why I no longer play and havent for ~1-2 years now. When HoT was announced, I got curious. But I knew better than to give ANet more of my money. And it would seem that I was right in holding off.

-Legendary development stopped…
-Dungeons are still untouched
-Guild missions are a joke.
-The Living World is not so living and doesn’t react to your choices
-Multiple small bits of content that I missed via LS are still not available for me to play(because I didnt log in during the weeks these were running? How awesome…)…Great so pretty much there are large swaths of content I’ll never see.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Behellagh.1468

So something on the scale of ANOTHER GAME cause that’s what Factions and Nightfall were and were sold as such.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Pretty much. ’Tis why I no longer play and havent for ~1-2 years now. When HoT was announced, I got curious. But I knew better than to give ANet more of my money. And it would seem that I was right in holding off.

-Multiple small bits of content that I missed via LS are still not available for me to play(because I didnt log in during the weeks these were running? How awesome…)…Great so pretty much there are large swaths of content I’ll never see.

• Dungeons were declared dead years ago in terms of development so why are you surprised they are untouched.
  • What did you think guild mission were going to be?
    *The Living World was initially living because you had to be present to experience the changes. A destroyed Kessex Hills and destroyed and rebuilt Lion’s Arch were the results. There is also the area in DR that was rebuilt and now houses events.

I’m sorry, if you haven’t played in 1 or 2 years then why visit the forums?

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

• Dungeons were declared dead years ago in terms of development so why are you surprised they are untouched.
  • What did you think guild mission were going to be?
    *The Living World was initially living because you had to be present to experience the changes. A destroyed Kessex Hills and destroyed and rebuilt Lion’s Arch were the results. There is also the area in DR that was rebuilt and now houses events.

I’m sorry, if you haven’t played in 1 or 2 years then why visit the forums?

Forums is a place to go to read about things…It doesn’t mean you have to play the thing you are reading about I mean when I still played the game a lot I never read forums I only started reading them after I stopped playing a lot cuz I had more free time on my hands.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

So something on the scale of ANOTHER GAME cause that’s what Factions and Nightfall were and were sold as such.

We paid the price of another whole game for HoT, let’s not forget that. The same price as Factions and Nightfall, now that I think about it.

And like I said, while they weren’t technically expansions, that’s largely how people thought of them (especially if you were a Prophecies owner who bought them as they were released).

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

They don’t need to repair anything when the next flashy glider hits the store everyone still buys it…

Ricky.4706

or we can try group counseling maybe ?

let’s face it, from developer to community, yall are a few fries short of a happy meal. we may need a little pro help here. ^.^

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

They could start by learning to apologize when they screw up.

Beldin.5498

If you look at the price of HoT .. yeah .. in some way i more or less expected
something like a new game .. at least i expected to get masses of new armor sets
that they all hold back in the last 1.5 year just to give them us now with HoT.

Posted by: Kitarpa.8143

Kitarpa.8143

It honestly just feels like Anet is scrambling to keep the game “fresh” at this point. People are complaining left and right about there being nothing to do, that HoT content was great – at first. Unfortunately it just seems their only idea of adding something “new” is through the living story.. which isn’t all that true because after the first week or so of a living story release, it’s completely stale for most of the general community. Months of work is flushed in less then two weeks. Then it’s just rinse and repeat from there, release some costumes, and then turn around and tell the community “we don’t have enough people to work on the things you really want out of the game, so here’s some bullkitten we worked on instead.”

I’m not saying living story is completely terrible, I’m not saying they should toss it or completely halt its production, but they’re leaving base game content, events, etc that had a greater longevity, like WvW and the season tournies to rot in the back of the storage closet that should have a priority over living story.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Well this is probably a sore point and been said a million times but Guildwars 1 they had some fine content and it kept me happy for years on and off, while it had some a proper direction and a proper PvE system setup.

Guildwars 2 seems very mish mash and honestly seems to have no goal for its future..(Grinding for weapons and armor for months is not content or a direction) I don’t understand the whole not enough developers issue they had hundreds at release and well they let them all go or what?

I really hope whoever is steering the ship at Anet has a destination at some point.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Players are NOT the peers of the dev team.

Well stop the press we have breaking news!

On other topics;

Water… wet.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Players are NOT the peers of the dev team.

Well stop the press we have breaking news!

On other topics;

Water… wet.

Lawrence Fishburne? Is that you? You play GW2?!

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Honestly, I think you expect too much. There is no way for a company to keep ahead of the content curve. The reason that they had a big content drought post-LWS2 was because they had to shift to making expansions, because Living World was unsustainable.

I think a major failure was releasing content too fast during LS1. Every two weeks? What the hell were they thinking? People like me, who is causal because I have a full time job, were the ones feeding them cash on a regular basis, but the content was ending before I could get in and experience it much, with work and family stuff in the mix, two weeks was way too short a time for me to complete a lot of the content.

And then there’s the issue of them releasing two types of content at once. What the hell were they thinking? If I recall, the last time SAB was out, there was a WvW tourney started the same week. They on multiple occasions split up the playerbase by releasing two things at once. Their numbers for last SAB may have said it wasn’t very popular, but there were many people in WvW with me who were wishing they could SAB but the tourney obligated them to stay in WvW.

If they had slowed their roll to monthly content instead of biweekly, they wouldn’t have chased away the casuals who had the cash to fund them.

Also here it is again! I wanna play SAB but I need to spend more time in sPvP until the season is over. Why the KITTEN couldn’t ANet have released SAB content AFTER the content that is already active ends?

This kind of annoying nonsense is was drove me away from GW2 for a year. Stop chasing your funding away by not giving us enough opportunity to play your content!