How GW2 IS becoming a "Grind" -MY thoughts.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chaokel.5916

Chaokel.5916

I have to echo most of the points of this thread. (except for the exploiting, i have a slightly different stance on that).

Every direction the patches have been taking the game have been wrong imo. I can understand that they want to “break up MMO norms” by removing farming and grinding, yet they have coupled this with massively increased prices on gears? Seriously? Not cool.

Anet wants me to run a dungeon over 50 times (fullclearing a path) which takes ages, or 160 times doing it as quickly as possible (still going to take ages), just to get some competitive level 80 armour? Except now it seems like they don’t even want people to be running dungeons often? I don’t get it.

Or they remove the drop rate for fine crafting items, at the same time they implement an anti farming system. How exactly am i supposed to get these items if i can’t even kill mobs for 15minutes at a time without getting 100% trash? I don’t get it.

At the same time they switch over to one week format on WvW, when clearly there hasn’t been enough data gathered. So many mismatches, complete stomps are going on right now. What do they want these people to do in the intrim? Run dungeons? nope. Craft? not unless you buy all your mats. Farm money? i dont think so. sPvP? not in any meaningful way. Sure i can pub stomp, or face potentially terrible people in free to play tournaments that have no real reward.

I guess they just want me to join the zerg roaming between DEs? For someone who’s supposedly been about options from the start.. this is an interesting way they have been taking the game with patches.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Sounds like you exhausted all of the content that you wanted to experience. Take a break, play another game, and return to the game when they add new content you’ll enjoy. It was a $50-$60 purchase and you probably got 200+ hours out of the game if you have experienced the world and what it offers. MMOs cannot possibly cater to the schedules of those who exhaust all of the content quickly.

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

I think I might be able to solve this problem right here and now for you.

This is the way the current state of the game is. This is how it was designed. This is how it was in the beta events you were invited to. While ANet likes feedback, you paid for THIS game.

If you do not like the current state of the game I would encourage you to find another game more suited to your needs and check back on this one from time to time to see if it is progressing in the direction you want.

I really don’t like to see anyone unhappy in any game they play, but part of that responsibility falls on the player themselves to recognize when they are not having fun and stop spending time in the game.

My point is, if you want to play the game how it is, play it…if you don’t like it and don’t agree don’t play it. The choice is yours, but please stop getting so worked up over it…whether you choose to play or not it’s still just a game and will eventually be gone years from now.

You are wrong, the logic of “find another game” is soooo bogus. We payed for a product that was enjoyable yes? and now they have changed the parameters of the product, so, we as consumers are voicing our opinions. You can call this “Free to play” but we payed 60 bucks for it and now they are funneling us into have to purchase more from them for the EXACT same experience we were getting a few weeks ago. HOW DO YOU NOT SEE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT?

Because we paid for the game as it is and under the understanding that it will be tweaked and changed as time passes.

There is nothing wrong about voicing your opinion but you are going a tad overboard becoming a little to passionate about it (for lack of a better word).

As far as the 60 dollars go, you reached 80 in 3 days and have been playing presumably for hours a day. You have already achieved what most games give you or 60 dollars.

I am not saying I like, or agree with the Gem store, but what I am trying to get across to you is that people are generally listened to more when they are not bowing up shouting at people and making political remarks. At that point you just come off as a blow hard who wants to complain.

The “argument” of play something else very much so holds up, whether it’s a free to play game or not if people stop playing they will take notice. The less people playing, the more “it’s dying” stigma comes about, less new players will buy it because of that and without people in the game no one will buy the Gems from the gem store and they will lose out on money.

So in short, yes the point of “if you don’t like it play something else” holds more weight than coming to the forums and blowing up at the user base.

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Personally I’d like the Op to show me the part where they claimed vanity prestige gear wouldn’t be a grind.

They definitely claimed high end stats would be easy to achieve. But they also claimed that prestige items would be very hard to obtain.

Alot of this comes across as mindless rabble rousing.

Posted by: Stratto.3869

Stratto.3869

Sounds like you exhausted all of the content that you wanted to experience. Take a break, play another game, and return to the game when they add new content you’ll enjoy. It was a $50-$60 purchase and you probably got 200+ hours out of the game if you have experienced the world and what it offers. MMOs cannot possibly cater to the schedules of those who exhaust all of the content quickly.

Once again, missing the point. I haven’t exhausted the content, they have exhausted it for me. I was enjoying dungeon runs but now I will be paying to do them because of the nerf of rewards. They are slowly, but extremely, making it it harder and harder to get anywhere at lvl 80. I haven’t exhausted kitten, the providers are ruining it right in front of my eyes. Are you OK with have the content be less and less appealing?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I have to agree with most of the people in here. Anet is slowly nerfing the game into a horrible grind fest.

They had such a great game but patch after patch they do nothing but nerf nerf nerf to make everything a grind. It takes 6 ectos for me to craft an exotic with Jeweling. I average 1 rare every 3 runs of CoF (140% MF). I get 1 ecto every other rare roughly.

This means I have to do 36 runs of CoF just to get enough mats for 1 piece of jewelry. And this is the FASTEST method i’ve found so far… I mean how absurd is that?

Not to mention I now lose and average of 3s per run of CoF due to the increased difficulty and reduced rewards.

Stratto.3869

Personally I’d like the Op to show me the part where they claimed vanity prestige gear wouldn’t be a grind.

They definitely claimed high end stats would be easy to achieve. But they also claimed that prestige items would be very hard to obtain.

Alot of this comes across as mindless rabble rousing.

Faction gear was only obtainable at lvl 80, and it’s level of Rarity is “Rare” (yellow) not even the stats I really wanted either. And now high end stats are much harder to achieve, prestige items are the dungeon reward sets, NOT the faction items. Looks like you are the only on that is mindless.

Posted by: Relentless.5678

Relentless.5678

Or they could do what they did with instances in GW1. Die a few times until you’re practically useless through death penalty; forcing you to leave the instance and try again from scratch. This would alleviate the repair costs and FORCE the players to adapt and learn the content to progress. Death-zerging has become too accepted as a form of veiled progress.

Stratto.3869

But the question should be asked…. Is it OK to drastically change the parameters of the product you spent 60 bucks on? The answer is… It’s not. If you buy a movie after seeing it in theaters, and find out they changed the story from a Intellectual to a Die Hard-esk film are you going to just sit and try to enjoy the new movie that was once good enough for you to buy? That’s not OK, and you would take the movie back and demand a refund, or that’s what a person who valued their hard earned money would do.

So, with respect, if you feel that way why are you not going back to get your money back and returning the game ?

Because I’d like to get the product that I enjoyed back first, BEFORE I ask for my money back. I believe that we can come to an agreement. It was such a good game and so enjoyable…. I’d rather it go back than go down the road you so suggested.

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

Remember when ArenaNet promised that getting gear with max-stats would be trivial and require no grind when hitting level 80?

They said it was only special prestige skins that would require a lot of effort to obtain.

So where’s the easy to obtain max stat gear? Every way to get money/crafting materials for the crafted exotics is branded an exploit and patched out of the game. And the crafted gear only covers maybe 10% of the possible stat combinations, for many people this gear is not max-stats because some of the stats are just useless to them, meaning even more of a grind for these people to get max-stat gear.

Why does ArenaNet want people to grind just to be on an even stat level as everyone else? Is this WoW or Guild Wars?

Games like Perfect World introduced Grinding and farming so that people would buy their currency with real life money ($), and then sell that game currency for items which are acquired through farming (dungeons and stuff) and also on items which will make the grinding a lot faster (getting a higher % of XP per kill for a specific time).
I find it funny when some people say they like to grind/farm a lot because it gives them something to do. I mean who is forcing you to sit on your computer all day and grind/farm. There are much more productive things you can do with your time which will help you in real life.

So grinding and farming became massive money making characteristics for Perfect World, and the fun thing is they promoted their mmorpg as Free to Play (more like Pay to Compete lol). No matter what a mmorpg company tells you, they are in business to make money and by seeing current mmorpg market, a LOTS of money.

Now I have not played Guild Wars 2 long enough to see if what Perfect World did applies to them too, all we can do it wait and see.

At the current exchange rate it takes 102.675 USD to get a full set of max stat armor with the most common skin.

It takes 60.5875 USD to get your set of jewelry.

$23.125 to get your backpack and another $2.4975 to jewel it.

Then around 37 USD – 74 USD to get your weapons based on which ones you get.

Adding up to a total of 225.885 USD to get a basic set of max stat set which has no special prestige skin and is supposed to involve no grinding to obtain.

Lets not even talk about what’s required for a special skin.

Stratto.3869

Remember when ArenaNet promised that getting gear with max-stats would be trivial and require no grind when hitting level 80?

They said it was only special prestige skins that would require a lot of effort to obtain.

So where’s the easy to obtain max stat gear? Every way to get money/crafting materials for the crafted exotics is branded an exploit and patched out of the game. And the crafted gear only covers maybe 10% of the possible stat combinations, for many people this gear is not max-stats because some of the stats are just useless to them, meaning even more of a grind for these people to get max-stat gear.

Why does ArenaNet want people to grind just to be on an even stat level as everyone else? Is this WoW or Guild Wars?

Games like Perfect World introduced Grinding and farming so that people would buy their currency with real life money ($), and then sell that game currency for items which are acquired through farming (dungeons and stuff) and also on items which will make the grinding a lot faster (getting a higher % of XP per kill for a specific time).
I find it funny when some people say they like to grind/farm a lot because it gives them something to do. I mean who is forcing you to sit on your computer all day and grind/farm. There are much more productive things you can do with your time which will help you in real life.

So grinding and farming became massive money making characteristics for Perfect World, and the fun thing is they promoted their mmorpg as Free to Play (more like Pay to Compete lol). No matter what a mmorpg company tells you, they are in business to make money and by seeing current mmorpg market, a LOTS of money.

Now I have not played Guild Wars 2 long enough to see if what Perfect World did applies to them too, all we can do it wait and see.

At the current exchange rate it takes 102.675 USD to get a full set of max stat armor with the most common skin.

Adding up to a total of 225.885 USD to get a basic set of max stat set which has no special prestige skin and is supposed to involve no grinding to obtain.

to clarify are you talking about a set in GW 2 or PW?

Cerise.9045

GW2, I played PW for all of 4-5 hours before realizing it was too grindy and required too much money to be effective in.

Stratto.3869

GW2, I played PW for all of 4-5 hours before realizing it was too grindy and required too much money to be effective in.

So you are telling us that it is about 226.00$ to get the gear that we used to be able to acquire for 10-20 Gold?

Cerise.9045

So you are telling us that it is about 226.00$ to get the gear that we used to be able to acquire for 10-20 Gold?

it’s 22.2 gold for a set of armor
13.1 gold for the jewelry
5 gold for the backpack and .5 gold to jewel it
4 gold-ish per weapon

Posted by: Elusive.9162

Elusive.9162

To the OP:

Very well said and correct on all points. Arena Net did switch game directions upon release to encourage more pay-to-win mechanics, which I also find very disappointing – as the game had a lot of promise.

Stratto.3869

4 gold-ish per weapon

And that’s IF you aren’t trying to get a legendary weapon… the exotics required to create them are 74 Gold each at the moment.

Relentless.5678

Hey, I thought the topic was grind-to-win!!!

Cerise.9045

ArenaNet doesn’t want you to be able to grind for gear in a reasonable amount of time.

The only way ArenaNet wants you to get money at a reasonable pace if you want exotics in less than 2 months after hitting level 80 is to abuse the trading post to take money from other people(and make 15% of it disappear into thin air) or to buy gems to turn into gold.

Stratto.3869

ArenaNet doesn’t want you to be able to grind for gear in a reasonable amount of time.

The only way ArenaNet wants you to get money at a reasonable pace if you want exotics in less than 2 months after hitting level 80 is to abuse the trading post to take money from other people(and make 15% of it disappear into thin air) or to buy gems to turn into gold.

mostly the Latter.

(edited by Stratto.3869)

Relentless.5678

mostly the Latter.

Both options are viable, but you’re forgetting the other option. Play the game and have fun for a long time. The gold, karma and gear will come eventually.

Cerise.9045

4 gold-ish per weapon

And that’s IF you aren’t trying to get a legendary weapon… the exotics required to create them are 74 Gold each at the moment.

Base weapons are only a fraction of the total cost. You also need 250 ecto and whatever much ecto you need for the clovers, 1500+ orichalcum or wood or cloth, 250 of each T6 fine material, and in some cases 100-200 lodestones.

Stratto.3869

mostly the Latter.

Both options are viable, but you’re forgetting the other option. Play the game and have fun for a long time. The gold, karma and gear will come eventually.

ZOMG. We can’t have fun when the things that were making it fun are being taken away… at 80 all you care about is lookin good whilst killing people. don’t say make another character, i want to finish my main before I make another…. “Enjoy the game” Hard to do when what makes it enjoyable is slowly disappearing.

SirMoogie.9263

issing the point. I haven’t exhausted the content, they have exhausted it for me. I was enjoying dungeon runs but now I will be paying to do them because of the nerf of rewards. They are slowly, but extremely, making it it harder and harder to get anywhere at lvl 80. I haven’t exhausted kitten, the providers are ruining it right in front of my eyes. Are you OK with have the content be less and less appealing?

I guess I don’t understand. Where are you trying to get to?

Cerise.9045

mostly the Latter.

This is the way it was supposed to be, yes. We were promised this game would be different from EQ, WoW, and all the korean grind-a-thons. We were promised we’d be able to get max-stat gear and have all the level 80 players on the same level in terms of gear meaning the game turns into a game you play for fun to get cool looking skins as you play because everyone is on the same level in terms of stats.

Instead we get a 1-2 month grind for everyone to get on the same level of gear without powertrading on the TP to make money or gems.

(edited by Cerise.9045)

Relentless.5678

……..

ZOMG. We can’t have fun when the things that were making it fun are being taken away… at 80 all you care about is lookin good whilst killing people. don’t say make another character, i want to finish my main before I make another…. “Enjoy the game” Hard to do when what makes it enjoyable is slowly disappearing.

I don’t like to single people out on forums, but I’m having trouble understanding exactly what is being taken away from you. I can get that the fun could be taken away, but it must have a precursor as fun is not a thing. What is changing that’s removing your fun? I can only go by what was posted previously, but I’m guessing that the “grind” is getting just too “grindy” and taking too long. When will your main be complete and finished? I’m just curious and you don’t have to respond.

Posted by: Elusive.9162

Elusive.9162

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

I guess they decided success is better measured by number of gems bought?

Relentless.5678

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

I guess they decided success is better measured by number of gems bought?

Thank you Elusive. There’s a few gems in there that actually negate a core misconception about the loot.

For example, “Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

I believe this article is a must read for anyone. Definitely goes over most of ArenaNet’s core philosophies.

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

The reason for this change should be clear to anyone who thinks it through. ArenaNet isn’t doing it to “nerf” your fun. They’re doing it to control the speed of gold inflation. It’s so people who want to buy gems with gold don’t feel obligated to run the same dungeon over and over in order to keep up with the market.

Honestly, this is going to sound a little condescending, but if any of you out there have such a high tolerance for repetitive and mindless tasks I urge you to use it to find some extra real life work instead. It doesn’t have to be a formal wage. Just take up commission knitting or something, there’s lots of ways to make money. It’ll still get you more gold faster than dungeon running since your profits from that can be turned into gems.

Cerise.9045

The reason for this change should be clear to anyone who thinks it through. ArenaNet isn’t doing it to “nerf” your fun. They’re doing it to control the speed of gold inflation. It’s so people who want to buy gems with gold don’t feel obligated to run the same dungeon over and over in order to keep up with the market.

Honestly, this is going to sound a little condescending, but if any of you out there have such a high tolerance for repetitive and mindless tasks I urge you to use it to find some extra real life work instead. It doesn’t have to be a formal wage. Just take up commission knitting or something, there’s lots of ways to make money. It’ll still get you more gold faster than dungeon running since your profits from that can be turned into gems.

If the only viable way to get on an even playing field with everyone else is to use the cash store to buy ingame gold with real money then something went horribly wrong with this game.

Stratto.3869

issing the point. I haven’t exhausted the content, they have exhausted it for me. I was enjoying dungeon runs but now I will be paying to do them because of the nerf of rewards. They are slowly, but extremely, making it it harder and harder to get anywhere at lvl 80. I haven’t exhausted kitten, the providers are ruining it right in front of my eyes. Are you OK with have the content be less and less appealing?

I guess I don’t understand. Where are you trying to get to?

Sigh, that it is not okay to sacrifice quality of the content that was payed fro in order to get more business…. Okay so imagine the game is a good looking office building. Got it? So inside there are 3 floors, people usually only see the first two. So on the top floor the two bottom floors start taking the top floor’s furniture and such in order for the two bottom floors, lets call these low level and mid levels, to look better. Because the two bottom floors look so nice in the public eye the business looks grand. Now the Top floor, lets call these level 80 players, they’ve noticed that the boss has been paying more attention to what the public sees i.e the bottom two floors, and has at times had knee jerk reactions to what the lvl 80 players were doing to make money.

Follow me? If not so far: We have a boss that has taken from the top employees because he’s just been paying attention to what they are doing “wrong” and firing them for “Exploitation”. The boss focuses on the public eye’s view of his business by sprucing up the bottom levels and therefore has their support in what ever he does.

Now it wasn’t always like this, but the people on the bottom floors haven’t been around for as long as the people on the top floor, so all they’ve seen is success and glitter. Now the boss is funneling them down into a money pot, they now have less pay for the same amount of work and now the veteran workers are actually losing money for working, we’ll call this endgame. So the new employees are oblivious to the fact that they are slowly being pushed to buy more and more, staples at the office are now costing money, deductions from paychecks for exploring job opportunities and so on.

Now a lvl 80 player talks about how this is a problem and most of the other 80s agree, but they are bashed by the onslaught of new workers who can’t see why this is a problem.

^ That’s the example.

Here is what I’m saying: We payed 60 bucks for a product we love and now that content is being drastically altered so that in order to enjoy the game we are gunna end up having to buy gems and trade them for gold. And all these new players who are all like: “I enjoy the game and I just got here and everything is wonderful” have no idea what the game was like a month ago.

Stratto.3869

……..

I don’t like to single people out on forums, but I’m having trouble understanding exactly what is being taken away from you. I can get that the fun could be taken away, but it must have a precursor as fun is not a thing. What is changing that’s removing your fun? I can only go by what was posted previously, but I’m guessing that the “grind” is getting just too “grindy” and taking too long. When will your main be complete and finished? I’m just curious and you don’t have to respond.

Actually the fun isn’t being taken away, more like the “unfun” is being pored upon us. What’s being taken away from me is the final enjoyment of an 80, to acquire wealth and look good. I wanted to acquire wealth so I could make other toons and fit them out. And I want to look cool whilst I’m Pvping. Any other questions?

SirMoogie.9263

….

Wow. Let me rephrase. What are you personally trying to achieve in game?

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

Posted by: Sidian.5370

Sidian.5370

It’s classic bait and switch. Just give in and use the Cash Shop like ANet wants. Doo ittt! Doooooooo iiiitttt!!

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Wow. Did not check back at that Whispers armor and other stuff. I know from the beginning when it was cheap. Really 4 gold now? Unfair to others that buy it later if some people already bought it early and cheap.

I think the main reason for all this is: They want us to buy gems for real money in the gem store.

Everytime some players find something where you can grind ingame money efficiently and a lot of players start doing it they will change something if it is too fast in their opinion. Unfortunately they can’t ban everytime. We all know about the cooking stuff bought for karma and sold for ingame gold.

Nobody could have known this was not intended(when already people are telling me mesmer portal exploit to get into keep in WvW is intended… clearly everyone is trying to get the most ouf of the game as long as it is not obviously like a 21 karma weapon exploit).

Okay. People whined. No more bans. But still changes. But I know they would like to ban that people too ingelligent and making enough money from the game and not needing to buy gems. ;-)

We all know it:: Company not making enough money at the moment.

Solution: Either pay to play with subscription.

Free to play with pay to win and cash shop and horrible grind where you are forced to buy gems or grind tons of hours (imho boring and I would quit would prefer first option if they really needed money but would need major bugfixes and more and better sPvP and WvW first).

Or 3rd solution: Game needs to be shut down and moving on to more profitable projects. Sad but that’s how it is like. You only need to look at their action and interpret the correctly. Every sane person should know that it is like this now. Not enough money and they are nearly bankrupt. Even announcing Mac Client now to get people that can afford Mac and have a lot of money to buy Guild Wars and hoping for them to buy lots of gems.

Stratto.3869

Wow. Did not check back at that Whispers armor and other stuff. I know from the beginning when it was cheap. Really 4 gold now? Unfair to others that buy it later if some people already bought it early and cheap.

I think the main reason for all this is: They want us to buy gems for real money in the gem store.

Everytime some players find something where you can grind ingame money efficiently and a lot of players start doing it they will change something if it is too fast in their opinion. Unfortunately they can’t ban everytime. We all know about the cooking stuff bought for karma and sold for ingame gold.

Nobody could have known this was not intended(when already people are telling me mesmer portal exploit to get into keep in WvW is intended… clearly everyone is trying to get the most ouf of the game as long as it is not obviously like a 21 karma weapon exploit).

Okay. People whined. No more bans. But still changes. But I know they would like to ban that people too ingelligent and making enough money from the game and not needing to buy gems. ;-)

We all know it:: Company not making enough money at the moment.

Solution: Either pay to play with subscription.

Free to play with pay to win and cash shop and horrible grind where you are forced to buy gems or grind tons of hours (imho boring and I would quit would prefer first option if they really needed money but would need major bugfixes and more and better sPvP and WvW first).

Or 3rd solution: Game needs to be shut down and moving on to more profitable projects. Sad but that’s how it is like. You only need to look at their action and interpret the correctly. Every sane person should know that it is like this now. Not enough money and they are nearly bankrupt. Even announcing Mac Client now to get people that can afford Mac and have a lot of money to buy Guild Wars and hoping for them to buy lots of gems.

That’s what I’m Saying!

Relentless.5678

Ok, I think I got it. The “unfun” is being forced upon your desire to look cool and have lots of wealth. Free-to-play with pay-to-win cash shop and horrible grind. Sounds bad. I definitely wouldn’t play that game.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

To be heard, understood and responded to about your questions/concerns, thinking things through and making a concise statement about what you want from the game and why and how it should be done would be better all around.

After reading this entire thread, im not quite sure what you want from the game. It seems like high blood pressure maniacal ravings. “Give me what I want and I want it NOW!!!!!” Im sure you have a point to your angry rant, but its become lost in the sea of angriness and political commentary.

What I was able to piece together from your postings, is that you want the optional cosmetic legendary/exotic items. But you are not really willing to put in the time to obtain them in game. What is the difference, I have heard the stats are not any higher than standard gear, so what is the point of contention with the game?

I understand what content the game has to offer, and im approaching it knowing what I am getting for my money. I think the dollar to gameplay value is tremendous. And further, there will be more FREE content releases coming, im sure in the near future.

I did my first dungeon yesterday. I thought it was fun, it continued my storyline, and I did end up with a rare that had better stats than what I had equiped. Thats winning.

Stratto.3869

Ok, I think I got it. The “unfun” is being forced upon your desire to look cool and have lots of wealth. Free-to-play with pay-to-win cash shop and horrible grind. Sounds bad. I definitely wouldn’t play that game.

Unfortunately I payed for it with MY money, and actually care about getting my monies worth. I can’t speak for those of us who just like bowing our heads when prices go up or our product is changed right from under our noses. “Leave then” is the excuse given to those that A: had their parents buy it, B: used money given to them for birthdays or gifts in general, or C: Don’t care about getting their monies worth.

SirMoogie.9263

Unfortunately I payed for it with MY money, and actually care about getting my monies worth. I can’t speak for those of us who just like bowing our heads when prices go up or our product is changed right from under our noses. “Leave then” is the excuse given to those that A: had their parents buy it, B: used money given to them for birthdays or gifts in general, or C: Don’t care about getting their monies worth.

Stratto.3869

To have fun, but that fun is being taken away because of the in game prices and rewards being nerfed. You need money in the game to do anything, Teleport, Wvw (repairs), dungeon (repairs). Etc etc.

Posted by: Tempest.9175

Tempest.9175

Most arguments I have seen against GW2 about armor have something in common.

“We want armor acquired through time consumption/luck instead of skill.”

What I mean by that is that the traditional way of getting anywhere in an MMO was to grind raids until you got your gear to than grind other raids to get new gear. Did they do those raids for fun? No. If they were, than raidguilds wouldn’t be so anal about the right gear and the right programs for the raid fights. They didn’t require you to think on your feet. They required you to have add-ons that told you what move was coming at what health percentage. If there was a mess up, it was because the only possible solution to the fight was derailed slightly.

I already have a list of what I would like to do at level 80.
Start a new race with a new story
Help the noobs at lower levels
PvP some
Raid dungeons some
Get 100% map completion
Find all platform puzzles
Complete each Profession
Kill each area Boss/World event
Make my human toon look like he-man or conan :P
Join a guild (still thinking on this one.)

You know what end game looks like on most other MMO’s?
Raid
PvP

What is depressing for most of you MMO veterans here is that the idea of exploring the entire world from head to toe and enjoying it is both foreign and scary.

(edited by Tempest.9175)

Posted by: Tempest.9175

Tempest.9175

As for the Gems/Gold auction house. Really? You know that they compare about 3 gold pieces to about $10 usd? A guy has got to be loaded to even try to exploit that. From my own experience, this is far more of “Take your time and buy wisely.” Instead of “Take my money, now!” You want that transmutation? Sure, but make sure you know when to use it instead of devouring it like candy.

As for getting gold? Go do world events, sell some rare items on AH. Make a profit from some profession, instead of leveling up 2 at a time, maybe level up 1 at a time. Seriously though, go do lots of stuff instead of the old school mentality of just 1 or 2 things. Go complete some “daily” quests/events that gives good rewards and maybe stop hoping around waypoints so much. Travel to a close city and take an asura gate. Those are free. :P

(edited by Tempest.9175)

SirMoogie.9263

To have fun, but that fun is being taken away because of the in game prices and rewards being nerfed. You need money in the game to do anything, Teleport, Wvw (repairs), dungeon (repairs). Etc etc.

So, you are finding that you don’t have enough money to repair or travel? I haven’t had this experience, but it might be afflicting certain activities. I’ve only noticed dips in income when I go out of my way to make purchases from the trading post or for the various leveling milestones (e.g., trait books). What specific activities are making you go into the red?

Stratto.3869

So, you are finding that you don’t have enough money to repair or travel? I haven’t had this experience, but it might be afflicting certain activities. I’ve only noticed dips in income when I go out of my way to make purchases from the trading post or for the various leveling milestones (e.g., trait books). What specific activities are making you go into the red?

Nothing WAS, but now it is, when your base of income gets a 90% reduction, you kinda hit the red before you even get there.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

What is depressing for most of you MMO veterans here is that the idea of exploring the entire world from head to toe and enjoying it is both foreign and scary.

On my main, I’m one area away from 100% world completion. I did everything else, including the WvWvW maps (don’t even get me started on how they shouldn’t have been included in the exploration requirement), but I can’t pull myself to do this one area. Why? Because there’s no reward to completing the map. Do you know what you’re getting? A star next to your name and 2 Gifts of Exploration. The gifts are used for legendary weapons, but seeing how they’re a horrendous grind to get, most people will never have one. You’d think that after having vested over 100 hours in completing the map, you’d get something more than that. Nope, sorry. Screw you.

That’s our problem. The game doesn’t feel rewarding. Even grinding doesn’t feel rewarding because of the anti-farm code. Nothing feels rewarding. It’s like you’re just doing it with no purpose and no tangible reward. The only thing that feels remotely rewarding is buying stuff with gems, but that’s about that. I guess they meant for it to be this way.

The only people that make money in the game are the flippers, who buy low and sell high. Oh, you farmed those crafting mats for 10 hours in Orr? How about I make a profit off your sorry backside by logging in for half an hour.

You’ll see that once the novelty wears off, there will be no incentive to do the so-called fun activities you’ve enumerated, since you too will feel like you’re not being rewarded.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Cawesome.1580

Cawesome.1580

Tempest let me ask you this, once you’re done with the small trivial tasks this game offers, what then? I was looking forward to fighting an epic battle with Zaihtan, but look how that turned out, a pitiful fight and a slap in the face from Anet. Raids and PvP is one way to get the gear to be the best, and that is a major part of any MMO, to have the best gear and stats, this game has said F all to that and instead just said here’s gear that can be bought grind for it, after they said that they didn’t want to have a game with people standing around doing the same thing over and over because a quest giver says so. Yet what do you see, people farming the same DE’s, the same dungeons, are just zerging in PvP, nothing but grind. The number one rule for any MMO in this day and age is, if you can’t get your foot in the door on the first week (or month if you’re lucky) chances are you’re going to fail, and I have to tell you looking on forums……it’s not looking good for Anet. They need to buckle up and start getting their act together or people will leave them like SWTOR and go on looking for a better MMO.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

and now people can’t even complete CM, HoW, or CoF Explore mode runs at all

good job Trion Riot ArenaNet

What’s a trion riot? and I thought my friend did CoF 2 days ago. O_0

and a mmo without grind? Nice joke. :O

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

SirMoogie.9263

Nothing WAS, but now it is, when your base of income gets a 90% reduction, you kinda hit the red before you even get there.

That depends on your costs actually. If you were only spending 5% of your income on upkeep between payouts and you now lost 90% of your payout you would still be in the green. And…

90%, seriously? What were you doing that is now unfeasible. How much were you making and how much do you make now? Call me incredulous.

Posted by: Auroma.9126

Auroma.9126

And now the title is changed?

This is an automated message. Your post in "Here’s Why I Feel GW2 IS becoming a "Grind"":/forum/game/gw2/Here-s-Why-I-Feel-GW2-IS-becoming-a-Grind was infracted.

Your original post in "Here’s Why I Feel GW2 IS becoming a "Grind"":/forum/game/gw2/Here-s-Why-I-Feel-GW2-IS-becoming-a-Grind:

Moderator Notes:

Your thread title has been changed to "Here’s Why I Feel GW2 IS becoming a "Grind"" – please refrain from attempting to speak for everyone when making thread titles.

Note – this message is just to inform you that your thread title was changed – no infraction points have been added to your account as a result.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

If you believe you have received this infraction in error or wish to make an appeal, please send an e-mail to forums@arena.net.

Well Mr. Mod he speaks for me, and I would like to hear what Arena Net says about this topic. I don’t want to play another grindfest mmorpg. I have already played too many of them, biggest waste of time and money in my opinion. You have my support Stratto, don’t feel disheartened by this “title change”.

(edited by Auroma.9126)

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

and now people can’t even complete CM, HoW, or CoF Explore mode runs at all

good job Trion Riot ArenaNet

What’s a trion riot? and I thought my friend did CoF 2 days ago. O_0

and a mmo without grind? Nice joke. :O

It was unrealistic to expect there would be no grind, but when they marketed it as the salvation of MMOs, you would have at least expected that it would be less than in other MMOs.

Trion is the developer of Rift, Riot is the developer of League of Legends.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.