How am I going to face my friends?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Katalos.5038

Katalos.5038

About 6 weeks ago, I was looking for an MMORPG to play during my summer break. I have looked into many MMORPGs and GW2 excites me the most. Despite all the great features in GW2, my friends and I didn’t like a few things in GW2, such as the casualness, lack of guilds competitive contents, and it’s horizontal progression. However, I saw the expansion and think it will actually solve most of the things we don’t like.

So, I convinced my friends to purchase the game to get started and prepared for the expansion (since most the features in HoT are for end game). Surprisingly, I convinced 4 friends to purchased GW2 (didn’t expect that many). Now, with this expansion price tag and the fact that it includes the core game, the money we spent on the core game is wasted (if we buy the HoT) and I am the one who wasted their money.

I am the one who did the research and convinced them to buy, so, all blames are actually on me. They don’t know about the expansion pre-purchase riot yet. How am I going to face my friends?

(edited by Katalos.5038)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Let them talk to customer service and see what can be done. Some adjustments are going to be made. Be polite and tell the story.

Posted by: Mia Crazymike.1780

Mia Crazymike.1780

How to face your friends?

Answer: Turn towards them.

You’re welcome.

Posted by: Matazeruz.7498

Matazeruz.7498

I feel sorry for you and your friends, but I doubt there is much CS can do(or shall I say want to do) about it, seeing as if they were to give a refund to everyone that bought it within the last x weeks they would 1. Lose a lot of money 2. Everyone that doesn’t get a refund will be even more annoyed about the whole situation.

I would just tell your friends that at the time you bought gw2, you were told you had to own the core game to buy HoT. Anet very recently changed their support information about that.

Attachments:

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

“We’ll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.”
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

Although i dont think they would refund purchases up to 6 weeks old probably more like 2 weeks.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How to face your friends?

Answer: Turn towards them.

You’re welcome.

Thanks “Mr. John Smith”. Snarky answers to real problems are always helpful.

To OP. All you can do is have them contact support. However if they do get a refund then they lose all progress on that account and it’s likely their credit cards will be banned also so it can’t be used to rebuy the game later.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Matazeruz.7498

Matazeruz.7498

snip

To OP. All you can do is have them contact support. However if they do get a refund then they lose all progress on that account and it’s likely their credit cards will be banned also so it can’t be used to rebuy the game later.

I might be misunderstanding you here, but are you saying that you can only buy 1 game per credit card ? I know several people who have bought more than 1 with the same card.

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

snip

I might be misunderstanding you here, but are you saying that you can only buy 1 game per credit card ? I know several people who have bought more than 1 with the same card.

I think he’s confusing things. AFAIK, refunds are allowed up to 30 days after purchase (this shouldn’t lock your card). If you do a chargeback with your credit card is when you’d unable to purchase the game again with that card. Could be wrong but that’s how I understood/remember it.

Neither of these should matter though, as GMProHeals mentioned upgrading accounts to HoT-Prepurchase if you’ve bought it “recently”. I don’t think they’ve given a cut-off date for “recently” though.

Just a flesh wound.3589

snip

It’s the refund part. If you buy a game and then ask for a refund, if you get the refund the card that bought that game is “deactivated” in their files. You can never use that card again with them, either to buy another game or to use it to buy something on one of your other accounts.

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

From Gaile Gray, another thread: Here
“Be aware that if one gets a refund, the account is permanently closed AND the credit card associated with it is disabled and may not be used in the future in any purchases related to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 (or any other NCsoft game). This means that it may not be possible to simply get a refund and start a new account”.

Forum Communications Team Lead
Thank you. That is correct.

So, if OP’s friends ask and get a refund then they will permanently lose that account and all its progress and the card will be deactivated in ANet’s records. It depends if his friends thinks it’s worth it or not.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Show your friends this post. No one saw this coming- there was no way OP could have anticipated it and they made a decision that anyone would. This is purely the fault of anet screwing over customers with their misleading advertisement prior to this surprise preorder release.
Don’t be angry at OP- take it up with anet and please try to get a refund/express how this was inconvenient and a blow to confidence in their trustworthiness.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

I don’t see what the big deal is. Now they’ll get another free base account and the expansion pack! Two games for the price of one.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Basically, if you want to move forward with HoT see if you can get the upgrade prorated, or whatever. You’re not looking for a refund, you want to pay the difference. It seems like that is an option.

If you don’t think HoT is worth it at the current price, then it really doesn’t matter what you do.

In either case you didn’t lose your friends money. You did all the research, but since this information was completely unavailable until just last night it isn’t like you missed it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t see what the big deal is. Now they’ll get another free base account and the expansion pack! Two games for the price of one.

No. You don’t get another base account and an expansion pack. If you have the game already then all you get is the expansion pack (and some other stuff). The new account is only for those who don’t have an account already. There is no separate serial number for a new account with the purchase.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027
“Once your purchase is complete, your account will be upgraded the next time you log in to Guild Wars 2. You should see your title immediately after this login. Within a few hours, you’ll get an in-game mail message with any bonus items included in the edition you purchased.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

No what you do is sign up for a new account. You’ll get the xpac on that account and you are free to keep your old account.

Just a flesh wound.3589

No what you do is sign up for a new account. You’ll get the xpac on that account and you are free to keep your old account.

/sigh

And then your old account that you put so many hours on won’t have access to the mastery system, the Revenant, the new maps, the new Legendaries, the new personal story, any rewards from the new personal story such as the new armors, the new elite specializations and can’t help claim a guild hall. You won’t be able to progress your old chars at all.

This is only a good idea to those who aren’t attached to their old accounts and the progress it has made.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Spend 50$ and buy your friend expansion, price of friendship. There you go

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If your friends blame you for something you didn’t know was going to happen, they’re really not your friends.

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

They are already calling the expansion in other sites “GW2 Hearth of Robbery”lol

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

Hopefully your friends arent foolish, and they know they get what they pay for, when they pay for it. If they dont, and these are the sorts of people who you make friends with, the sort of peopel who will get mad over nothing , you have bigger problems.

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

I can see your position, I think it 100% stinks that they are charging this much for the expansion, but it affects even veteran players, we feel like we are having to pay a premium price for content we already have, plus a little extra. I haven’t decided what to do yet, but no, I did not jump at the chance to plunk my money down. I was hoping for something 39.99 with extras for JUST the expansion.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

Poor baby…

Everyone one that plays GW2 bought the ‘core’ game.

Now I have to buy the core plus expansion.

They aren’t giving me a dicount off the HOT expansion.

You should get one ether.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Hold tight, they may yet do something to fix this for people who bought since the expansion was announced.

If you can’t wait and you live in Australia contact the ACCC, you may well have a case given that you can say the game was purchased based on misleading information, even given that I don’t believe ANet did this knowingly. Other jurisdictions may vary.