How are you making money?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Making money in all games is what I love to do but it is becoming increasingly hard in guild wars 2, to make decent money at a constant speed, as great farming spots and things like jugs of karma are being nerfed. So how do you get around making your money in Tyria nowadays?
Me personally I do as many dungeons a day but skip the really long not worth it ones (i.e arah p1) and do world bosses which gives me junk anyways.

Posted by: eyelogix.1654

eyelogix.1654

I just hope I get lucky with a precursor, but I bet I won’t see one in a long time since I already got one and sold it.
Otherwise train farming was a great source of income, and selling t1 mats was another option while I was doing the daily.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I sell the exotics and pre-cursors that drop for me and use the decent drop rates of Black Lion Chest keys to get tickets or ticket scraps which I exchange for weapons of the month to sell on the TP.

No wait, I was dreaming. I farm nodes and do the meta boss farm train.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I don’t actually try to make money. I’m self sufficient enough that I can craft whatever I need. If I need more materials, I just buy them on the TP, and slowly sell whatever I don’t want.

If I really need money, I do dungeon runs, or find a niche in the market for my crafting skills.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I do my daily and slowly gain money from that. Sell blues and greens and crafting mats I have full stacks of on the TP, dump things I can’t make a profit from in the merchant, and take the coin I get from the few events a day. Plus of course the coin I get from the Living Story.

I get around a gold a week, maybe. Sure it’s not the fastest thing, but hey, I’m steadily gaining coin.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

World Boss farm, FG or QD farm, and dungeons… when I can play anyway.

Can make anywhere from 5g to 500g a day depending on the RNG.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

There are several ways to make money.

- Farming nodes – find a good mineral map online for your server.
- Jumping puzzles – pick a few rewarding ones and learn to do them in your sleep.
- Dungeon runs – make some friends or gather your guildies for quick dungeon runs
- TP flipping – buy low, sell high. Some folks don’t even play the actual game anymore :P
– Black Iron Key farming – hope you like the starting personal story quests… alot. Hardcore defender of Shaemoor, kittenes. Centaurs and Bandits still rue the day.
– Zergs/trains – queensdale, frostgorge… possibly lots of others depending on how populous your server is. Grinding, but if you only have a short while to get into something or know you’ll be in and out/pulled away at a moments notice, then trains work well.
- World Boss farming – There’s a “addon” for following which WBs are up and when for your server. Need to find the name…
- Mystic Toilet – I’ll only put this here as an option for the daring who have money to lose. I put 300G into rares and exotics to put into the MT and…. I only got The Bard. Some folks put 50G in and got Dusk so I figured I’d try. Afterwards, most folks hear that I put 300G worth into the MT and they say "You ONLY put 300G? I didn’t understand then just how much so that this is the game of odds… and its not that I didn’t do the right thing, its that I didn’t do it enough times to even out the tragic losses of a fickle RNG. Had I put 1000G or 2000G, my results would have been significantly better at getting high selling precursors, but since I was trying to make my own legendary, I only shot for as much as I felt willing to spare. Apparently, that ain’t the way to go.
- Living story content – I only put THIS here because of the “original” scarlet invasions. Literally every hour you had her attack an area and folks would spend days out there popping the loot pinatas. I went from 60G to 240G in the times I could sneak on to play during that event before its eventual nerf. And none of us can forget that the South Sun event (way back when) rewarded some folks with precursors. You may not agree with stuff like this, but when opportunity knocks, you’re either logging in to open that door or… really wishing you had been. /shrug. Is what it is.

I’m no where near as hardcore as I once was in gaming, but folks have told me speed running 12 dungeons and 20 jumping puzzles alone lead to solid profits (up to 50g average) and can be done daily. If you get a good group of regulars, its easier to do with the same folks. I haven’t tested this, being a filthy casual these days. Even had a guildy remark that he got 600G in two weeks doing the above every day.

Lets face it, getting any REAL money in this game takes knowing the tricks and hitting the sweet spots. You can just play the daily and be all casual, but unless you really test the RNG constantly, your profit won’t be consistently greater.

Think of it this way, every time you kill a mob, you’re playing the lottery and the odds are GREAT that you’ll get “a little something”, but TINY that you’ll get something “amazing”. So…

Play the lottery 10 times, you have 10 chances to hit it big and a .001% chance of something awesome. Not a great chance.
Play the lottery 1000 times, your odds of getting something of value improve.
Play the lottery 100,000 times, your odds… are MUCH MUCH better of hitting it big.

So…. TLDR – do more in the game and you’ll be randomly rewarded for your efforts, but if you have the time, skills and friends, JPs and Dungeons daily are the ticket. Unless you just REALLY enjoy farming BL keys doing the starting quests. That is a speculative market though, buying when they are cheap (1 ticket) and selling them months later when folks have to pay 5 or more tickets for them. For more steady rewards now, just do a lot of trains, dungeons and jps. (and level up that magic find!)

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!