How bad is degenerative drop?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

Was farming Karkas with a friend, and she was getting almost no bloods compared to me, even though she had 123% Mf and I only had 50%.

We changed, and started killing the Skelks she was rolling in powerful and potent blood.
So, how bad does it get, and, with enough magic find, could you counter it?

Posted by: Emperor.1360

Emperor.1360

I wish the developers would please tell us about diminishing returns. I use a full magic find set in PvE, and I’m not sure whether diminishing returns affects me or not while I am farming solo. I would like to know about how many things can I kill before I need to switch to killing different monsters, or if I need to switch areas instead of just switching monsters, and whether I need to actually go to a different zone or a different region in the same zone.

There’s just no information about diminishing returns at all. I’m sure the reason for the lack of info is because the developers don’t want to give botters and gold sellers any advantage in circumventing diminishing returns. But, as a regular player, I really want to know whether, and how, diminishing returns affects me when I’m wearing my full magic find set.

Omnes stulti estis, quod putatis vos esse
intellegentes eximiosque, quamvis
non fuistis, vere non estis et eritis numquam.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Check out:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

You will never see any in-game indicator of DR status. It states that it is not designed to affect the “average” player. If average players saw how often they were playing under DR the forums would be on fire. This is why you will never see a DR indicator.

DR, as a concept, is flawed. What exactly is wrong if a player wants to play DE’s for four hours in one area? Do we really need a minder micro-managing our playstyle to this degree?

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Check out:

You will never see any in-game indicator of DR status. It states that it is not designed to affect the “average” player. If average players saw how often they were playing under DR the forums would be on fire. This is why you will never see a DR indicator.

DR, as a concept, is flawed. What exactly is wrong if a player wants to play DE’s for four hours in one area? Do we really need a minder micro-managing our playstyle to this degree?

Couldn’t agree more. Sometimes, especially after a long day, I just want to farm because it’s not in the least bit stressful, and actually kind of relaxing since I don’t have to pay all that much attention to what I am doing. This is my “solo” content, it’s what I do when I just want to relax a bit (usually Im just chatting it up in vent with friends). The DR makes this a nearly pointless excercise however since after, a far too short, period of time I might as well be sitting in LA staring at my screen.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I agree as well. On days when I just want to kill a bit of time until the better half logs in and we can go level another set of alts I farm for materials required to outfit them when they reach level 80. Sadly the DR seems to be totally random and with 171% MF there are times when I can farm for a full hour (2 omnom bars worth) before I get nothing but spikes and other times when the DR seems to kick in after only 15 minutes and even after switching maps/mobs I still get nothing.

Way back when I played a bbs game via a public dial port. That game was script based only but it would inform you when you hit your mark and had to move to a different mob and even how many different mobs you had to kill before your “cache” was cleared and you could go back farming the original mob. Now that was 30 years ago, have we regressed that far?

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

DR is one of the primary reasons I don’t play anymore. It impedes players goals. It is an outright lie that it has anything to do with botting. DR, like so many other things Anet has done, is focused on funneling players to buy gems with real cash so they can buy gold.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

If average players saw how often they were playing under DR the forums would be on fire.

Yes, because they’d realize it hardly ever affects them and they would no longer be able to blame DR for not giving them all the drops they want.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

DR is one of the primary reasons I don’t play anymore. It impedes players goals. It is an outright lie that it has anything to do with botting. DR, like so many other things Anet has done, is focused on funneling players to buy gems with real cash so they can buy gold.

Aaaand, you have proof of this from where?
Even if this conspiracy theory was true, you are missing the other, much more logical part of this equation…
If you have no DR, then the Bot runners and will just turn their dirty little hack programs on and farm entire maps for hours on end. The hardcore farmers who do nothing else for hours would be sticking rich, while the more casual gamers would watch as the prices on the Black Lion Trading Post would go through the roof…
I don’t get where people come up with this idea that it’s impossible to make gold in the game without buying Gems and converting them. That’s actually one of the dumbest ways to make gold, since running dungeons and doing events will earn you plenty of cash without spending a single dime on Gems.
It certainly could be seen as the ‘easier’ way of doing it, but says a lot about the impatient people who would throw down that sort of cash.
More to the point though, saying anything about Diminished Returns is nothing more then speculation on our part, since we don’t know how it works. (And chances are, we never will…)
I’m more willing to believe that it’s just unfortunate luck with the RNG then anything else.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Check out:

Couldn’t agree more. Sometimes, especially after a long day, I just want to farm because it’s not in the least bit stressful, and actually kind of relaxing since I don’t have to pay all that much attention to what I am doing. This is my “solo” content, it’s what I do when I just want to relax a bit (usually Im just chatting it up in vent with friends). The DR makes this a nearly pointless excercise however since after, a far too short, period of time I might as well be sitting in LA staring at my screen.

Just farm in different areas. Surely it’s not that hard. If you farm in Orr, then farm in Southsun Cove, then farm in Forstgorge sound, you won’t end up hitting DR.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

DR, like so many other things Anet has done, is focused on funneling players to buy gems with real cash so they can buy gold.

Ok fine. Now finish that logic.

So a player goes and buys that gold…

What then? Why did you buy it? What is it going to get you?

Yeah… nothing…

And that’s where your logic fails. There’s no need for that gold.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Couldn’t agree more. Sometimes, especially after a long day, I just want to farm because it’s not in the least bit stressful, and actually kind of relaxing since I don’t have to pay all that much attention to what I am doing.

So why should a player who just mindlessly lols about wacking the same spiders in the head for months without “paying much attention” get rewarded as well as people who put in focus to engage the content more fully?

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

DR, like so many other things Anet has done, is focused on funneling players to buy gems with real cash so they can buy gold.

Yeah… nothing…

Legendaries, Precursors, Alts, Exotics, Food, Skins, QoL items just to start a list. There is a lot more than this, if you can’t find something to spend gold on in this game you play too much or are really lucky, because playing normally a few hours every day will get you nowhere near a Precursor even playing for months unless you get lucky. Let alone a legendary or any of the unique weapons made in the mystic forge.

Like I have said before there is a big gap between Casual and Hardcore that probably 90% of the player base actually fits into, and its the people in between who are screwed, they run out of realistic things to do, but don’t have 12 hours a day to devote to getting a legendary months later.

You are left with 2 options: Make an alt, or buy money.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Couldn’t agree more. Sometimes, especially after a long day, I just want to farm because it’s not in the least bit stressful, and actually kind of relaxing since I don’t have to pay all that much attention to what I am doing.

So why should a player who just mindlessly lols about wacking the same spiders in the head for months without “paying much attention” get rewarded as well as people who put in focus to engage the content more fully?

Because MMOs are nothing but a measure of time spent playing, and they always have been. What you do during that time should be inconsequential because either way you spent 1000 hours in the game killing things.

It’s not like MMO’s are renowned for their difficulty here either, let’s be realistic.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Yeah… nothing…

Really? You can’t buy anything with in-game gold? I sure need some more gold for my legendary…

Where were you going with this thought?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Aaaand, you have proof of this from where?
Even if this conspiracy theory was true, you are missing the other, much more logical part of this equation…
If you have no DR, then the Bot runners and will just turn their dirty little hack programs on and farm entire maps for hours on end. The hardcore farmers who do nothing else for hours would be sticking rich, while the more casual gamers would watch as the prices on the Black Lion Trading Post would go through the roof…
I don’t get where people come up with this idea that it’s impossible to make gold in the game without buying Gems and converting them. That’s actually one of the dumbest ways to make gold, since running dungeons and doing events will earn you plenty of cash without spending a single dime on Gems.
It certainly could be seen as the ‘easier’ way of doing it, but says a lot about the impatient people who would throw down that sort of cash.
More to the point though, saying anything about Diminished Returns is nothing more then speculation on our part, since we don’t know how it works. (And chances are, we never will…)
I’m more willing to believe that it’s just unfortunate luck with the RNG then anything else.

Evidence suggests that this is not the case. When there were many bots the prices of goods was dirt cheap. Generally, farming gets people goods. As long as the price of goods on the TP is higher than the price offered by vendors, people will sell on the TP. In that case, no gold is generated, it just changes hands. If there are more goods available and the amount of gold in the system says constant then, generally, prices should fall.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Phaedryn.3698

Check out:

Just farm in different areas. Surely it’s not that hard. If you farm in Orr, then farm in Southsun Cove, then farm in Forstgorge sound, you won’t end up hitting DR.

Except you do end up hitting DR. I have hit DR in Orr (minimal xp per kill), switched to Frostgorge and still be getting minimal xp per kill. DR is on your character, not the zone you are in.

Phaedryn.3698

Seriously, I have never seen more people willing to tell others HOW to play a video game in my life. After 100% map completion what, exactly, does “engage the content more fully” mean? And at what point, in my post, did I say ANYTHING about “wacking the same spiders in the head for months”. When you have to put words in someone elses mouth to make a point you have no point.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Check out:

Except you do end up hitting DR. I have hit DR in Orr (minimal xp per kill), switched to Frostgorge and still be getting minimal xp per kill. DR is on your character, not the zone you are in.

According to the wiki it’s supposed to be character/zone/time based. I personally don’t think its accurate. Switching characters/zones is supposed to drop DR after 30m or something like that…I noticed it still “seems” to follow me no matter where I farm or on which character I farm on. Maybe it’s just me.

Phaedryn.3698

Check out:

According to the wiki it’s supposed to be character/zone/time based. I personally don’t think its accurate. Switching characters/zones is supposed to drop DR after 30m or something like that…I noticed it still “seems” to follow me no matter where I farm or on which character I farm on. Maybe it’s just me.

It isn’t just you. I tracked XP/Drops over the course of a Saturday afternoon once and made a really nice spreadsheet out of it. It definately stays with the account. You can change characters, you can change zones, it won’t improve. Worse, it seems to have no decay either. Once you hit rock bottom, it’s time to play a different game for a day or so.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I don’t spend a lot of my game time farming, but if I did I wouldn’t accept “stop farming the most efficient farming spots and move to a less efficient spot when DR kicks in” as a very player-friendly solution. I understand DR was implemented to keep gold farmers (and possibly “no-lifers”) in check, but I believe there’s got to be a better way to go about things that doesn’t include as much collateral damage to everyone else.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Check out:

When you say minimal xp, are you meaning just no bonus xp? Because that is not diminishing returns. Bonus xp is based on how long that specific monster has been alive.