How big is the initial download?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ghostlysunny.5412

Ghostlysunny.5412

Q:

Hey guys . I bought this game today and this is the first ever MMORPG that I have invested money in, I’m hoping to have a fun time.

I have a question regarding the initial download, I’ve downloaded like 200 megs and the percentage counter hasn’t even reached 1%. I would like to know how big the initial download will be. I don’t exactly have the fastest internet and it takes me about 3 days just to download 20 gigs at an optimum speed, please do tell me that the download doesn’t exceed 20 gigs.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The download tracker percentage is number of files left to download not the size left to download. Some files are larger than others. That said, I think the final download size is somewhere around 20 GB or so. The minimum system requirements state you need 25 GB available HDD space.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Patched and up to date my install takes up 19.4 gigs. Hard to say what the download’ll be since there are pretty frequent patches, and the end file size isn’t always the same for everyone.

Ghostlysunny.5412

Thanks for the answers guys.

@JustTrogdor. Telling me about how the percentage tracker depends on the amount of files left to download really helped me understand how it works as I had a misgiving about it. Thanks

@Kaos. Hmm… It installed about 12 gigs from the discs that I bought so I’m assuming that the max download size will hopefully be about 10 gigs max.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Not as big as your disapointment will be after a year and a half

Just kidding. As a new player, theres a LOT of stuff to do. Funnily enough those things were already there since launch

Ghostlysunny.5412

@ Quickfoot Katana. The main problem that I now face is joining a guild. I have only once played an MMO before this and it got boring really quickly because I couldn’t find a guild at my level. Then there’s also the thing about the ping, I live in South Africa so hopefully I’ll get playable pings on the EU servers.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I believe theres a dedicated subreddit for finding guilds. Make sure you find one who does the type of content you like and that you identify with. Theres a lot of good guilds but then theres those “number-guilds” who only care about having lots of members and where youre just a number and not a person.

So youre better off finding a small-medium but tight closed guild. I found those to provide the best experience

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My Guild Leader lives in ZA, and for the most part, he has little trouble with ping. Though, there are those days.

You can probably find a Guild you are comfortable with over in the Guild Recruitment sub-forum. However, this is not the kind of MMO where a Guild is necessary. Since everyone plays together, often, you won’t find a lot of content you can’t do without your Guildies. There is some, however, but you can take your time finding a Guild you will be happy with.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck. =)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

@Kaos. Hmm… It installed about 12 gigs from the discs that I bought so I’m assuming that the max download size will hopefully be about 10 gigs max.

Don’t count on it. Lot of the files you had in initial installation got upgraded since, and will be redownloaded. This should save you some time and downloading, but less than a pure substraction would suggest.
That saying, pure installation (without bloat from obsolete data) should be around 18-19 gigs. Mine is 20.5 at the moment, but it’s been at least a year since i’ve last done a full redownload.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’ve been playing since head start and my size of the game is 19.4gb

Welcome to Tyria!

Ghostlysunny.5412

Thanks for all the suggestions guys . The game is finally done and the final folder size came to be about 19.4 gigs like Tiger Ashante mentioned.

Can’t wait to get in game. Just gonna give my computer a bit of a rest before I start playing.