How big of a market crash with sigil swapping?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I wonder how big of market crash would sigil swapping introduce and how bigger than the foob buff crash would be. Really makes me Thonk.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Prices would likely go up initially for the popular ones and the drop once people had enough for each of their characters. I didn’t think of sigils being a big of a market to impact prices elsewhere since many can’t be crafted.

How are sigils any different than runes?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I wonder how big of market crash would sigil swapping introduce and how bigger than the foob buff crash would be. Really makes me Thonk.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but it sounds like you are trying to suggest that legendary weapons should have the same swap technology as legendary armor — and that the anet explanation for delays of concerns about market effects are unreasonable, given the changes to food that moved things around.

Aside from the category difference (eg: permanent vs renew every hour) between the two types of item, if that is what you want to say, just say it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t have any actual numbers of course, but I suspect people who regularly swap the sigil on their legendary weapon are a tiny minority. Most people I know in-game just stick with one build, or use different weapons in different situations.

If anything I suspect the introduction of sigil swapping would get more people to try it, and therefore increase sigil sales.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

zealex.9410

Perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but it sounds like you are trying to suggest that legendary weapons should have the same swap technology as legendary armor — and that the anet explanation for delays of concerns about market effects are unreasonable, given the changes to food that moved things around.

Aside from the category difference (eg: permanent vs renew every hour) between the two types of item, if that is what you want to say, just say it.

didn’t i say it?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ohh! Food buff crash. Duh!

Lol, couldn’t figure out what a foob buff crash was. Silly me.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I suspect there aren’t enough raiders for this to make any impact.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

zealex.9410

I suspect there aren’t enough raiders for this to make any impact.

actually ppl run food in fractals as well

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Most superior sigils are already vendor price, so there’s not really a long way to crash in the first place.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Could it have nothing to do with the sigils?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

There wasnt a food buff crash to begin with, unless I missed something spectacular.
Sure, seaweed salad took a 50% value dive with the balance patch but other food has seen value spikes instead.

Its pointless to compare these markets anyways because they are completely different in functionality.

If you want, you can compare the rune market to the sigil market and i would say that plenty more players have at least one legendary weapon compared to those that have legendary armor, so any effects that rune swapping will have, will be bigger for sigil swapping.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Besides there being no “food crash,” there was another food that spiked in price just as seaweed salad dropped.

In any case, we do not know why ANet decided that sigil swapping would have to wait. Obviously, it wasn’t something obvious, otherwise (a) we would have figured it out ourselves and (b) they would have not been surprised by it (as they said that they were when working on implementation). It might not be the sigil market, but instead something that feeds into the sigil market (or vice versa) or it might be something other than “just” the market.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Besides there being no “food crash,” there was another food that spiked in price just as seaweed salad dropped.

In any case, we do not know why ANet decided that sigil swapping would have to wait. Obviously, it wasn’t something obvious, otherwise (a) we would have figured it out ourselves and (b) they would have not been surprised by it (as they said that they were when working on implementation). It might not be the sigil market, but instead something that feeds into the sigil market (or vice versa) or it might be something other than “just” the market.

It could also be something ‘behind the scenes’.

If Anet is anything like places I’ve worked it could be as simple as the people designing legendary armour thought rune swapping was a good idea so they added it in, but legendary weapons are made by completely different people and they didn’t know about the rune swapping and so didn’t think about adding sigil swapping.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Other than the handful of useful ones, the entire Sigil market is already sitting at vendor value so it’s actually immune to a crash as is.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

Not too much if it only affects sigils on legendary weapons.

It will be minute in comparison to the crash of the dollar when everyone finds out how many the Fed brought into the market.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

My take on the whole issue is raiders waited 2 years for the legendary armor, and they are supremely ugly armors, so they had to give them a bit more of a bonus. I’m not too worried about rune swapping and the likely market effect, nor the effect of sigils in the marketplace if legendary weapons were adjusted to have the sigil swapping as well. Would it be nice, surely, but not enough to worry about.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I don’t have any actual numbers of course, but I suspect people who regularly swap the sigil on their legendary weapon are a tiny minority. Most people I know in-game just stick with one build, or use different weapons in different situations.

If anything I suspect the introduction of sigil swapping would get more people to try it, and therefore increase sigil sales.

Seems likely to me. I know that if swapping sigils was required frequently and my sigils cost several gold then I’d craft a second ascended weapon with the stats and sigils I wanted.

I don’t really know how useful stat swapping truly is without sigil swapping. I’d be disappointed if it doesn’t come before or with the expac.