How did we come from GW1 To This?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DaveyC.4398

DaveyC.4398

I was not aware of the happenings at arena net until I just watched WP’s video. After his efforts to put a positive spin on it all it just hammers on a point that has been in my mind over the past few years of gw2.

Gw1 was value for money in a game. Free to play, emersive content and good story telling. Something that in the most part gw2 has lacked. Other than the free to play part.

When I look at the expansion, it was more money than any of the campaigns in gw1 and did not even come with a manual or monster lore book.

System redefine after redefine, a living story which was greater in content than the expansion pretty much.

Other than the short raids, there is nothing coming up in the short term.

They talked about improving fractals when all they did was break the rewards.

I am sure I am not speaking for myself when I say all this game needs is new content. More story and maps.

I don’t want to see this franchise go down the pan but seriously arena net, you need to go back to your roots.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Technology bro.

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

Technology bro.

This. It’s pretty amazing how quickly things advance, graphics and systems both. I’m having more fun now than I ever did with GW1. In terms of price, when you adjust for inflation, things are pretty much in line or better in terms of quality.

Thanks for pointing this out OP.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t really know. It seemed Anet invested more in GW2 but people aren’t happy.

But in GW1 Anet seemed to be able to put lesser money but keep people happy.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

As campy as the story was in GW1, it was much more entertaining than what has occurred in GW2. And even more important, GW1 was fun fun fun! GW2 just isn’t as fun as it could have been.

SBI

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

I don’t really know. It seemed Anet invested more in GW2 but people aren’t happy.

But in GW1 Anet seemed to be able to put lesser money but keep people happy.

That’s because they didn’t have too. All of gw1 runs at a fraction of gw2 running costs hence why it is said that gw1 will run indefinitely.

gw2 was aimed at casuals to make ncsofts mouth water for profits. Business wise it was a no brainer success, how ever longevity is a major issue. With the difficulty being aimed so low, players are progressing through content faster than the developers can make it.

however the moment content requires players to use more than 1 button to attack then suddenly player base is screaming about how content was developed for elitist only.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

And yet, some of us enjoy this game more than we enjoyed it’s predecessor.

In core GW2 Tyria, ANet has given us an immersive open world to explore with lore and stories scattered throughout each zone that I prefer to the instanced world of GW.

As for value for money, for me this game has easily surpassed the value I received from GW and it’s campaigns (I’ve spent about the same amount on each game).

echo.2053

And yet, some of us enjoy this game more than we enjoyed it’s predecessor.

In core GW2 Tyria, ANet has given us an immersive open world to explore with lore and stories scattered throughout each zone that I prefer to the instanced world of GW.

As for value for money, for me this game has easily surpassed the value I received from GW and it’s campaigns (I’ve spent about the same amount on each game).

And to each their own subjective view of game vs their money worth ( seems like a veryyy silly scale to use XD w/e floats your boat I guess)

Whats not subjective is complete lack of end game material or issues with other game modes going neglected for months on end.

DGraves.3720

Did anyone who is complaining here read the old forums of GW1?

Because it’s riddled with complaints about the game. Nostalgia is amazing sometimes.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think this game has a problem peculiar to it that they haven’t fully resolved that makes ANet unwilling to add new maps.

Most other mmos add new levels with each expansion and this level creep and lack of scaling means the max level population is predominantly in the newest maps. With this game, max levels are anywhere from the newest level 80 zones to the level 2 areas, which means the population per map is diluted, not concentrated like the old games. Even megaservers can only do so much to concentrate the population when it’s spread across too many maps. Every new map they add compounds their problem with population dilution.

I’m not seeing many ways to concentrate the populations and not annoy their players. At best they can increase map caps to reduce the numbers of map shards. However too many maps can drop the per map population down below the caps, ending up with people saying the game is empty even if it has a healthy population.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

echo.2053

Because it’s riddled with complaints about the game. Nostalgia is amazing sometimes.

is there actually a game where there no forum complaints? Its amazing how its so easy to blame nostalgia sometimes. XD

To be honest though – had no idea there actually was a gw1 forum. seriously always thought gwguru was the actual forum :o Live and let live I suppose

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

At the time prophecy was a value for the money (over 10 years ago!)
but i find way more to do in base GW2 in PvE then Prophecy (only Fow/Underworld (assuming your region even had favor of the gods xD)
and Hot held my attention longer then Faction (I stopped playing after a month even though it was 49.99 at releases!)
to me GW2 has gave me more for my money so in the end its really preference

(Really i enjoy both games because i cant find anything like them)

DGraves.3720

is there actually a game where there no forum complaints? Its amazing how its so easy to blame nostalgia sometimes. XD

To be honest though – had no idea there actually was a gw1 forum. seriously always thought gwguru was the actual forum :o Live and let live I suppose

I’m not so much blaming nostalgia as sort of poking fun.

Seriously though the mechanics of the two games are like night and day though; GW"2" is not exactly a successor in the traditional sense.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

When I look at the expansion, it was more money than any of the campaigns in gw1 and did not even come with a manual or monster lore book.

Not when I bought them. I paid considerably less for HoT than for any of Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall. At release, the prices were virtually the same, $49.99-$50. you probably bought GW campaigns at reduced prices. HoT will get there sooner or later.

So, ~10 years later… the best burger in town has close to doubled in price; movies have close to doubled in price; my rent has gone up by ~40%, high speed internet is up 30-40%. A game XPac whose retail price has gone up by ~25% doesn’t look so bad (Eye of the North retailed at $39.99, $10 less than HoT).

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

To be fair, indigo, Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall were not expansions. Particularly the latter two, as they where fully independent and functional games in their own rights. They simply happened to be able to access the same server software/game worlds as the others. EoTN was, and is, the only true expansion in GW1.

echo.2053

still such an awkward comparison pretty much like you saying a gumball is worth $1 and me saying its worth 25 cents.

we shall see what happens against the test of time. we are just coming up on 3.7 years…

Not when I bought them. I paid considerably less for HoT than for any of Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall. At release, the prices were virtually the same, $49.99-$50. you probably bought GW campaigns at reduced prices. HoT will get there sooner or later.

So, ~10 years later… the best burger in town has close to doubled in price; movies have close to doubled in price; my rent has gone up by ~40%, high speed internet is up 30-40%. A game XPac whose retail price has gone up by ~25% doesn’t look so bad (Eye of the North retailed at $39.99, $10 less than HoT).

But those were complete standalone games ( exception of eotn which was going to be another campaign expac that got cut short for gw2)…. can’t really compare that to 4 maps with a “soon” promise…

Unless you are a brand new players in which case……touche and you may continue to gloat over the old players

Deleena.3406

still such an awkward comparison pretty much like you saying a gumball is worth $1 and me saying its worth 25 cents.

i think you missed something in my post! (in the end its really preference)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Hey, I didn’t start the price comparison with GW Campaigns. All I did was clarify what the relative prices were.

I then compared the HoT price to EotN price in light of stuff I commonly pay for then and now. While I found EotN to be a good value for me, I know people who were complaining about nothing to do less than a week after it came out. I also know people who’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of HoT. That’s why I’m not sure that such comparisons mean much.

echo.2053

i think you missed something in my post! (in the end its really preference)

Nope not really I had addressed that in a previous post, some things are so predictable that you can actually preemptively reply to them before that user even begins to write a post. I was merely reiterating that awkwardness in difference in money worth – like how people are willing to pay hundreds of more dollars for an item just because of the brand name.

In this specific case though…. whats your $:hours play ratio to determine if worth or not?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t even understand how someone compares the two games; other than the lore itself, aren’t they completely different in terms of play? My understanding is that GW1 is just a single player game where you just happen to have other players in the same world. Can you even team up to do stuff?

Regardless, I find discussions that refer to value for money ridiculous … MMO’s are cheapest form of entertainment you can get, especially non-sub ones like GW2. Your investment is typically PENNIES an hour.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Aidan Savage.2078

I don’t even understand how someone compares the two games; other than the lore itself, aren’t they completely different in terms of play? My understanding is that GW1 is just a single player game where you just happen to have other players in the same world. Can you even team up to do stuff?

Regardless, I find discussions that refer to value for money ridiculous … MMO’s are cheapest form of entertainment you can get, especially non-sub ones like GW2. Your investment is typically PENNIES an hour.

You can, actually. Think GW2’s dungeons/fractals, except on a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar bigger open-world scale.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Anet was naive when they got into the game development game.

They put their heart and soul into making a good game, for gamers.

Years later reality hit: it doesn’t matter if people love it, what matters is how much money you make. Capitalism ruins every great new thing eventually. Like look at youtube these days, twitch, any of the older mmos etc. The monetisation just seeps into it like rot and permeates throughout.

Deleena.3406

This whole thread is really no different then asking “was HoT/GW2 worth it”
anyway

In this specific case though…. whats your $:hours play ratio to determine if worth or not?
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

GW1— 8k hours (with a very long 10hour AFK limit xD) cost~180$

GW2 —11k hours (mostly playtime short/rude auto kicks) cost~100$

I clearly got more value/fun out of GW2 (but this only apply to me i dont speak for any1 but myself)

Aidan Savage.2078

Ah, but did you buy gems out of pocket as well? Though, to be fair, if you did buy gems, odds are you bought them because you used them to obtain something you got enjoyment from.

Deleena.3406

Ah, but did you buy gems out of pocket as well? Though, to be fair, if you did buy gems, odds are you bought them because you used them to obtain something you got enjoyment from.

i didnt include it because its mostly optional (not needed to play the game!)
also GW1 had a in game store (since 2006 xD) (also kinda lost track of the stuff i bought in GW1 store :s)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In my opinion GW1 is/was superior to GW2. I got more bang for my buck in GW1 than I have in GW2.

That said, apples and oranges. To each their own.

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

Are we really boiling this down to price?? Come on! BOTH GW1 and 2 are cheap as chips! I spend more on condiments each year than I do guildwars! I mean what’s total cost? GW1 maybe $200, About $130 for GW2. All up that’s $330(ish) for more than TEN years worth of entertainment. It’s absolute peanuts!

I love them both and really feel GW2 is MORE than a worthy successor to the mighty Guild Wars!

Guild Wars had it’s problems too, people just put on the rose coloured glasses that’s all.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Primary objective reason:

GW1 was no MMO, GW2 is.

Primary subjective reason:

People have pink glasses of nostalgia on and expectation management. GW1 was on live support for a big chunk of time post HotN release and people had low expectations at that point. Meeting low expectations is easier.

From a pvp perspective:
- the fast paced more role defined combat in GW1 worked a lot better than the open nature in GW2 (see GvG). It had its niche at the time.
- the counter system of boons and conditions is screwed as far as GW2 goes. Was way better designed in GW1. Sometimes less is more.

From a pve perspective:
- the crowd of player attracted to GW2 is different from GW1. More MMO style means more MMO style demands and problems
- the general shift in player expectations and how gaming is done. Back in 2004 MMOs were “the bomb”. Everyone tried to get on the hype train. It was effectively the start of the MMO golden age. Today not as much.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

When I started playing Guildwars it was just after Factions came out I only had Prophecies at the time. I did not know about Factions heck I hardly knew how to play the game. A few people helped me along and showed me some things it was not easy since I knew nothing about Guildwars. I finally learned some stuff and got my bearings in the game. At this time there were no heroes like Koss or Olias they did not exist. We had to rely (if we could not find other players) on what they called Henchmen/women (for the ones that have to be politically correct).

Also at that time the most powerful profession in the game had only 55 hp. This was known as the 55 monk. Now that build could be used on a couple other professions effectively, but that was the meta. A couple years later the 55 monk was set aside for a new meta called the Permasin. The Permasin was an assassin that used a combination of skills that kept a skill called shadowform up. Shadowform was a skill like none other It not only stopped all spells it also stopped all melee damage. There was a downside to this once it ended you had only 53 health less if you were not an assassin. Yes Shadowform was an assassin skill, but it was available to all professions.

Later in the life of Guildwars the 55 monk became the 600 monk and used a smiter which the 600 monk did the tanking and the smiter put spells on the 600 to do the damage . It was pretty epic seeing all those numbers fly. Well Anet did not like this because people were complaining about it so they changed the smiter to where the damage casts could not be put on indefinitely, and Shadowform now will take damage from melee. The 600 smite kinda went down the crapper, but the Permasin actually got faster and better. Where it was taking 15-20 minutes to clear Fissure of Woe they were doing it in 7-8 minutes The change was good because they removed the 53 health issue if shadowform ended. They found a skill that kept a nice regeneration of health goin constantly.

Guildwars has added things to the game over the years a total of 3 Campaigns (Stand alone games that can be attached to each other if one chooses) and Eye of the North its only expansion

Now these are just a few changes that has happened to Guildwars over the 13 plus years it has been around. When it started and for the first few years its was just another game trying to find itself. It was not the be all end all game people say it was. It took time to become what it ended up being.

Now Guildwars 2 comes along its completely different from Guildwars in design. Everyone knows this of course. Guildwars 2 when it starts has no Guild halls or Guild vs Guild pvp (Really wow then why call it guild wars 2) Watch the Prophecies Trailer if you haven’t in there Devona the Warrior States that the Guild wars were over.
Guild wars 2 is Innovative Fresh from all the other games that came before it. Instead of following the Code of an MMO like others before it, Guildwars 2 burned the code book. Now of course people will say it has this from that game and that from another game etc. All of those things were good ideas, but no one put all those ideas into a single game. Which makes Guildwars 2 unique in its own right .

The one thing Guildwars 2 does is change constantly. When it started it again was hard to learn and I ain’t an expert by no means but I get along pretty well. Problem is they keep changing things in the game darn it. The added skills they even added the ability to change to another profession. Omg fail how dare they change things. They even made some content harder. They took away our dungeons giving us less than 1 gold for completing them. Most people I knew didn’t do dungeons for that 1 gold anyway it was for the tokens and salvaging they made the money from.

Anet is trying to make a very unique ever changing game in Guildwars 2. They will make mistakes just like any other Gaming company. In an interview one of them said there will not be a Guildwars 3, because Guild wars 2 will change so much by that time it will be a totally different game than when it started. Heart of Thorns is proof of that now.

All I am basically saying is things change over time Guildwars took time to become a great game for many people. Guildwars 2 needs that too, but it also needs the understanding that it will change in the future to become something new for the player. Let them make mistakes or try different things we may not like them all, some will some won’t. Just don’t run away every time something goes wrong you think is bad. Try to adjust to it ya may find it more fun that way.

(edited by Chyanne Waters.8719)

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

I played GW1 long before I was going on forums. Forums are overly negative. Honestly GW2 was better before the LFG and people doing toxic meta. Then ANET went nuts with temp content, then semi perma content, then time gated mats, then evil f2p mechanics, then an expac with evil f2p mechanics and then more nonsense spreading out everywhere.

This game is still fixing itself from the one and done money burn that came shortly after GW2 was declared best MMO ever to only then shortly lose the title with WoW stealing all the good ideas.

echo.2053

[quote=6025675;Obtena.7952:
Regardless, I find discussions that refer to value for money ridiculous … MMO’s are cheapest form of entertainment you can get, especially non-sub ones like GW2. Your investment is typically PENNIES an hour.[/quote]

This guy gets it XDDD

This whole thread is really no different then asking “was HoT/GW2 worth it”
anyway

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

GW1— 8k hours (with a very long 10hour AFK limit xD) cost~180$

GW2 —11k hours (mostly playtime short/rude auto kicks) cost~100$

I clearly got more value/fun out of GW2 (but this only apply to me i dont speak for any1 but myself)

Its always fun to hear the 2 cent vs 1 cent debate XD. Obtena really nailed it with pennies per hour XDDD

Its perfectly fine and dandy to have a different preferenace……. but at least be truthful with yourself.

With factions and prophs base price being $60…..that will never equal $180 so 1 of 3 things has occured:

-you got severely reemed by a store ( hard to not notice overpaying $60),

-you included optionals that shouldn’t be included in base game comparisons ( even though there is a gold 2 gem converter its still very doubtful for a person not to spend money on the gem store when they have in previous games on top of 11k hours…I mean I myself preordered gw2 and have done everything there is to do and am only at 4.8k hours with a good portion of the hours being as a result of falling asleep in spvp matches all night),

-or more likely you’ve switched the pricetags between two games ( I can see a 11k hour player spending $100 on a gw2 colletor edition and buying a $79.99 on expac ( or vice versa order))

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Well for one thing, DLC and microtraction didn’t come into play for GW1 until later on with the franchise (til EOTN).

Deleena.3406

-or more likely you’ve switched the pricetags between two games ( I can see a 11k hour player spending $100 on a gw2 colletor edition and buying a $79.99 on expac ( or vice versa order))

Nope its exactly as i said GW1 50+50+50+30=180 (i didnt get Eotn at releases)

Gw2 50+50=100 (was including base game+Hot)

(although its abit odd to say how some one spent their money xD)

also i Gold to Gems everything!(didnt have that option in GW1)

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

OP asked, “How did we come from GW1 to this?”

Maybe it was because the top guy was not in charge of the game direction and now he is back.

“The news is that I’m taking over as the game director of Guild Wars 2 for a while.

Game direction is a big job.

I’m excited to be back in this role. I’ll say up front that I do eventually have to hire to replace myself.” – Mike

Fire Water Air
FA

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

we shall see what happens against the test of time. we are just coming up on 3.7 years…

But those were complete standalone games ( exception of eotn which was going to be another campaign expac that got cut short for gw2)…. can’t really compare that to 4 maps with a “soon” promise…

Unless you are a brand new players in which case……touche and you may continue to gloat over the old players

On the other hand, new players miss out on the fun of trying to unlock traits (Or the previous systems), champ trains in Queensdale and Frostgorge Sound, dungeons, all sorts of Living Story events… and, well, a lot of now-gone content. At least now new players don’t have to buy content they won’t get to enjoy (Like what WoW forced until recently, back when it required everyone to buy every expansion individually up to the latest, though they completely miss out on the events and community of those expacs)