How did you learn about Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: writersquill.8706

writersquill.8706

I had never heard of GW2 until I was watching a youtube video and since I had never heard of the game, I looked it up. I liked it a lot. I had saved up for three months to get the game from my local GameStop. My mom even helped because she said she could see the ‘look’ in my eyes.

-Syjji

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Yogscast. Just Yogscast. Saw the video they did about it in Beta, liked it, decided I wanted to play it.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Sharingandid.1540

Sharingandid.1540

I always knew about it, didn’t know wat it was, was bored, and bought it.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

From GW1. Got GW1 totally by accident from my cousin who didn’t like it that much.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I played GW1. I liked GW1. I was bored. I played GW1 again. I really liked GW1 a lot. I got 33 points in the HoM, because I liked GW1 a lot. I got GW2.

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Can you take a picture of yourself with that ‘look’ in your eyes and post it here please?

I knew about Guild Wars 1, I saw it being played at a mates place. It looked terrible so I avoided GW2 when it first came out. Then I kept reading positive reviews for GW2 and thought I’d give it a go. I left TERA to try it and I haven’t looked back. This is a great game.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Can’t remember precisely. I’ve been playing MMOs since pre-WoW days, though, and follow lots of MMO-related blogs and news sites, so on one of those.

I was immediately impressed by what I heard, and actually went out an bought GW1 as a result – I hadn’t played it when it was new. Spent about six months in 2011 playing GW1 pretty hard as a result.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Played GW1 for 7 years. Heard that GW2 was coming. Watched a few videos, decided I was interested enough to try it. And now here I am.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

To be frank, back when I was 16, I had a “friend” who was going to play GW1, couldn’t stop talking about it for half a year. Everyone in our group bought the game, and I was the one who kept playing it for years.
I put “friend” in quotes because this guy was one of the most annoying people I’ve ever met, and I don’t care for one second that I didn’t see him in years. It’s probably karma for him to introduce me to the game I still play today.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

GW1 when it first released and all expansions.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I was one of the Guild Wars 1 players waiting for the next Guild Wars 1 expansion, which was annouced, but then canceled so Anet could make Guild Wars 2. So I knew about it pretty much from the moment it was announced.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I learned about it while following the announcements for the “next” Guild Wars 1 expansion. I have been following vids/info on the game ever since.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Saw the manifesto 3 years ago (god it´s already been 3 years!) and believed ever word in it.
Yeah I know.

Still here because I´m addicted to “Count” Dociu´s genius art style, and hope springs eternal.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I had heard of it of course but mostly I turned a deaf ear as I was happy in the game I was playing.

Fast forward a little and several guild mates had quit my game and gone to GW2. Still, I refused to listen when they returned briefly to gush about the merits of the game. It sounds silly now but I was worried about the movement controls. The game I had invested so much of my time (and money) in was purely mouse-driven. I had tried WoW and Runes of Magic and I found the controls quite challenging. I am sure that most of the trees in the starter areas of both games have face-shaped dents in them from my characters.

Then I visited a friend who had just bought GW2. She was so enthusiastic about it and sat me down in front of it. I was totally blown away by the beautiful scenery and the gorgeous characters and knew it was the game for me. So here I am, six months or so later and still just as in love with it (though I am still capable of bumping into a tree in an off moment). In fact, I have also bought GW1 as well. I don’t get to play it that often but it is there for when I want to explore the origins of this wonderful game.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

That must have effect starts with this video about year before release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Friend told me to get it and then he quit after a week but I still play without him.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

PC Gamer May 2007 Issue #161
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/magweasel/pcgamer-0705.jpg

And then almost 5 years later I hadn’t even noticed it was in beta until Yogscast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YKm20rPQY

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Well, heard of? Dont really remember, but I heard of it way before I got it. I got it when my brother made me get it, and I reluctantly did… (now I play it all the time and he hasnt played in months)

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

I heard about GW2 way back in 2008 from a friend of mine who played GW1.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Played a LOT of Korean style MMOs, mostly liked hybrid classes and shiny equipments, so I ended up playing dr*id in W*w.

At some point I started watching videos about best MMOs, and one of them was GW vs W*w, so I watched it and learned about GW, but also heard in the video about GW2 coming soon, so decided not to play GW until GW2 came out.

That was a year or more before the actual release, after watrching countless videos of GW2 and folowing every. single. step. of. the. way. I started playing since release, open Beta.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Jono M.8519

Jono M.8519

I played GW1, so back when it was first announced in 2007. In fact, just did a little bit of googling and this thread is sorta like a weird time machine http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/pc-gamer-may-2007-information-t10133090.html

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Knew about it a couple of months before release…a lot of other games forums had links to youtube videos of it in beta and it created quite a stir by looking very good…which it is…

Those links must have been on the Diablo 3 / Torchlight games forums, as those were the games I was playing at the time…

I am more of a ARPG player than a MMO player, so watched a dozen vids, read about half a dozen reviews before buying it on release day…was a good decision…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

My brother. He played Guild Wars 1 for years. He convinced me to try the Beta and gave me a key as he had gotten into the earlier betas so I tried it out and then I pre ordered the deluxe. And I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it so I do not regret it.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I was playing Rift: Planes of Telara after mistakenly thinking it was going to have RvR content. Saw a forum post about GW2s WvW and a leaked map of Eternal Battlegrounds and had been following it ever since. I did play a little of the original Guild Wars and thought how cool it would be to finally get to play a Norn and Charr.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I had taken about a 6 year break from games. Now that I have more expendable time I just started looking at reviews. From what I read GW2 seemed to fit my preferred playing style and I was impressed with the graphics. Once I saw that they also offered a Mac client and the cost was relatively cheap I decided why not. As a very casual player this game seems to suit me well. I enjoy knowing that if I don’t move my mouse curser over the GW2 icon for several days it isn’t a big deal. I have just over 300 hours played and I’d say even if I hung it up for good as far as entertainment value goes I got my moneys worth.

The Burninator

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

Everyone in our group bought the game, and I was the one who kept playing it for years.

That feel. I had a group of us 5 friends who had been online gaming buddies for 4 years, one of us played GW1 a while back so we all went for GW2. Now they all grew up and stopped playing videogames, sticking to skyping and facebook while I’m all alone with neither WvWing with my ranger

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015