How do I enjoy vistas/Jumping Puzzles?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AnimatedWolf.9213

AnimatedWolf.9213

Seriously? I don’t have the money to afford a good PC so I have to use my laptop which just manages to run GW2. I play on lowest settings and still get around 15 FPS. Some areas are nightmares to go near otherwise it doesn’t affect me that much. My biggest problem is when it comes to Jumping Puzzles and vistas.

I average between a 0.5 to 1 second delay after pressing the jump key or a directional key which just makes these things near impossible. It took me about 2 hours of work and constant falling to finish the vista on top of the wall in the second Charr land (the one right by the skill point on the wall too). And practicing timing with the delay doesn’t work because the delay constantly changes.

I’m not here to complain though. I know pretty much that my only solution is to try and get a better computer. But I would like some advice. Is there anyone that has to play like this that can give me tips and whatever to do these puzzles?

Thanks!

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Emm… laptop mouse?

English is not my native language, sorry :<

AnimatedWolf.9213

Nope, I use a USB connected mouse.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

If you haven’t done so already, get in the task manager and check if there’s anything running that you don’t need during play – there’s usually a ton of power management and other stuff running default on laptops. Just kill all processes and stop all services you don’t need. Check the performance graphs without running anything, enable Show Kernel Times and check if the red line gets above the green line. It shouldn’t, check running processes and services again.

If you’ve done all that and the FPS hasn’t increased, there really isn’t much you can do…

Edit: another obvious thing – you’re not running on wi-fi, right ?

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

15 fps? You must be a saint to put up with that. It would drive me crazy.

Posted by: Sinwithin.9287

Sinwithin.9287

There’s a free download called game booster. It basically will shut off all background non related game programs on your laptop when you play. I have a very high end desktop and still use it because it improves my fps. It might help you a little.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

save save save. 600 for a PC that can really pump out GW2

AnimatedWolf.9213

Thanks for all the tips. I do run with wi-fi but my ping is around 30 so I don’t know if that’s a problem

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Thanks for all the tips. I do run with wi-fi but my ping is around 30 so I don’t know if that’s a problem

Ping is just one aspect of a connection, I’d say this is a good place to start – try a hard line, see what happens. Disable the wi-fi when trying.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

AnimatedWolf.9213

Alright, I’ll try that. ‘cuz right now I’m trying Ruins of the Unseen vista and it’s making me cry. T_T

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

I feel your pain. Been playing on a crap laptop since launch and I get 15fps at the best of times. I have 100% world completion though so it IS possible. That said, some jumping puzzles are just impossible for me.

[SFD] – Maguuma

AnimatedWolf.9213

The only jumping puzzles I’ve done are The Demongrub Pits and that Shark Cave Pirate one in Lion’s Arch. And the latter took a LONG time.

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

One trick it to try to jump into things whenever possible. So like if there are planks sticking out of a wall that you have to jump across (one of the toughest bits of jumping for me) try to start at the outside edge of the plank you’re on and jump towards the wall end of the next plank. That way if you jump too far you hit the wall.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

As stated before cut out unneeded background apps. The best way to do this is by going to the Windows start menu and in the search bar type “msconfig” without the quotations. It will open a new window with several tabs. Go to the “startup” tab and “services” tab and uncheck everything not required to play the game and your laptop properly. Click the “apply” button after that then restart your machine. Defrag your hard drive that the game client is on if it’s not on an SSD. Restart your machine again. If you have a graphics program that manages your visual settings open it and switch everything to performance instead of quality. Do the same with your Windows settings. After you open the client and login but before hitting the play button go into task manager and set the GW2.exe to High Priority. If you still experience FPS issues then try lowering the resolution before you attempt a jumping puzzle. This should solve all of your problems.

Posted by: blanketfreak.8913

blanketfreak.8913

Whats your keybinds? Make sure your using right mouse button to turn your toon. Dont use left and right mouse button to make your toon move forward. Use keys like W and S to move forward and backwards and use A and D to strafe left and right. These are some mistakes 2 of my friends made and the reason they wouldnt do jp’s

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

Depending on your profession you may have a skill available to you that allows you to teleport, bypassing the more difficult jumps altogether as long as you don’t mind waiting for your cooldown. I know that, at the very least, Mesmers, Thieves, and Elementalists can do this.

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

The only vista I had serious problems with was the one in the Eternal Battlegrounds, in the SW enemy keep. It’s entirely possible my difficulties had to do with not being able to focus after helping to siege and storm the keep, dealing with the very real time limit of the enemy zerg outside trying to retake it, and of course the low framerates of simply being in WvW for my computer, but it took me some ten to fifteen minutes of trying to jump across the beams of the tower the vista was on top of (not a complicated jump in any way whatsoever). I wasn’t the only one, either; there was a sizable crowd of us missing one or more beams and subsequently diving off the tower in lemming-fashion (which probably didn’t help the framerates for all concerned, either).