How do I report farming participation?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I went with ‘botting,’ though that doesn’t seem quite right. I have screenshots and account names but there’s no way to submit those in a report.

The person in question hangs out near east Citadel exit on DBL. There’s a pocket far enough back that the legendary defenders won’t aggro you. They run their alt out, kill them, then afk.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Wow! they want that backpack really bad. Which server we should kill them.

Sviel.7493

I’m not going to say server/account names because I’m not trying to get this thread deleted.

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

So, get video, submit it as a help ticket, and let it be.

Losing sleep over something like this just isn’t worth it…

Sviel.7493

I sent an e-mail with screenshots. Not planning to lose any sleep over it—was just wondering if there was a standard avenue already.

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

I sent an e-mail with screenshots. Not planning to lose any sleep over it—was just wondering if there was a standard avenue already.

Nice. Yeah, some people will find a way to game any system. I think sometimes they spend more time dreaming up a way around the system, that if they put that time into actual play time, they would do better.

Sviel.7493

Apparently, e-mail is not the way to go. I got an automated reply saying to submit it through their ticket system. Initially, there’s no option to submit a ticket as a player report, but it does show up later on in the process. Anyway, I basically copy-pasted the e-mail into there. In the future, I guess people should just start there.

We’ll see what happens next~

Posted by: Shining One.1635

Shining One.1635

How about you just post a screenshot of the location without the player there. I’d bet lots of people will check that spot.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Well he said east citadel exit on desert borderland. I was just wondering if I could do anything about it.

Sviel.7493

http://puu.sh/wQIaa/98f1ea0c0c.jpg

Here’s a picture of the player in question killing the alt at the location. I blocked out the names, so it should be ok.

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

LOL not everyone who is afk for a while is afk farming. Sometimes you have to go to the bathroom or run into the other room to let dogs outside or etc.

The game recently for wvw has a increased decay timer so people don’t get exp after either 5 or 10 mins. So it isn’t a thing.

Just relax. Anet already gave us a decay timer…. ( which happens too quickly in my opion)

Also people sometimes don’t want to wait in queue and have to go away from their

computer for a bit so they just leave their character either at spawn or at a place they

hope someone won’t get to it.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Why aren’t you killing the runner or the afker (depending whichever team you’re on)?

But seriously, if Anet didn’t take action on the players mass farming themselves in the WvW jumping puzzle, why would they care about this?

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I suspect the decreased decay timers will actually result in an increase in this sort of activity. If ppl can’t maintain participation by playing the game, they will find other ways . . .

Sviel.7493

@aandiarie
This isn’t a matter of someone being afk for a while. All the info is there, should you want to read it.
@Firebaall
The sacrificial character is on my team, so I can’t kill her. The farmer is a D/P thief that can somehow get up on the ledge above the corner in my screenshot. None of my attacks reach up there.
As for why Anet would care? They just dropped a patch aimed at reducing afk pip farming.
@all
This is happening again right now, btw. The farmer whispered me saying they’re playing D3 and getting pips.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

I suspect the decreased decay timers will actually result in an increase in this sort of activity. If ppl can’t maintain participation by playing the game, they will find other ways . . .

Words of wisdom…

It’s really sad to read that players are twisting the system in such a way. The thing is : while rewards are grind gated, WvW is unfortunately not appealing enough as itself for some players. These could do little tasks to keep their participation, but the change to decay timer punishes hardly those who don’t commit enough in the game mode.

This is a brilliant demonstration of how pushing a behaviour the wrong way can lead to total opposite results.

Posted by: Felipe.1807

Felipe.1807

What a hell, people are actually using alt accounts on other servers to get kills on WvW to be able to keep participation?? That sounds like a lot of work lol, honestly WvW have bigger problems then this, if someone wanna go through all this trouble just to pip farm, i say let then do it…enemies spies pulling your tactivators and givin information to the other server about your zerg and everything, now thats a real problem in my opinion.
Also, players will allways find a way to cheat the system…changes like Anet did last time will only hurt the legit players, farmers will allways eventually find a way around at whatever Anet throw at then.

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Why aren’t you killing the runner or the afker (depending whichever team you’re on)?

But seriously, if Anet didn’t take action on the players mass farming themselves in the WvW jumping puzzle, why would they care about this?

He tried but if you look at the screen shot he got killed. He’s now taking to reporting the player since he can’t kill them himself.

Personally who cares IMHO. This person isn’t affecting your game in anyway what so ever.

Sviel.7493

He tried but if you look at the screen shot he got killed. He’s now taking to reporting the player since he can’t kill them himself.

Personally who cares IMHO. This person isn’t affecting your game in anyway what so ever.

I killed the person once, they killed me once, and then they took to just running whenever I showed up. With all that was going on on the map, I decided it wasn’t worth trying to chase them down all day.

I chose to report it because this is the sort of stuff that Anet uses as a justification for keeping rewards slim or participation hard to get. If this sort of behavior is rampant, there will inevitably be changes that ruin things for the rest of us (see: Decay).

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

Since when is farming against the rules? Anet has nerfed different farming techniques since the start of the game, such as adding diminishing returns, but its not against the rule to farm.

Is fractal 40 farm against the rules? What about mining rich iron with multiple characters? Winterberries farm? TP speculating (ie gold farming)? PvP daily farm? Karma trains (which has had a long line of past nerfs to it, and which anet has addressed explicit as something they want to limit)?

Farming is not against the rules and never has been, but it is if someone is using an exploit to do it. Using an alt account to refresh participation might be against the rules, but had they just taken down a camp every 10m it would definitively not be.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

I killed the person once, they killed me once, and then they took to just running whenever I showed up. With all that was going on on the map, I decided it wasn’t worth trying to chase them down all day.

I chose to report it because this is the sort of stuff that Anet uses as a justification for keeping rewards slim or participation hard to get. If this sort of behavior is rampant, there will inevitably be changes that ruin things for the rest of us (see: Decay).

Yet worth your time to not only report it, but make a thread about it.

IMO, if what this guy is doing is bothering you to this degree, take the time to kill him over and over. He’ll get tired of walking across the map. IMO, there’s nothing wrong with what he’s doing. The game mechanics provide YOU all the tools to counter it.

If I had to guess, he actually killed you more than once, and you got mad.

Sviel.7493

It took me all of 30 seconds to make this thread and maybe 5 minutes to report. Compare to the embarrassing number of hours spent in WvW this weekend.

Also compare to the laughs I’ll get if the person actually gets banned.

edit: And the laughs I’m already getting reading this thread—which were not expected.

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

How do you know it’s one person on 2 accts? Same guild? Similiar acct names? Maybe it’s 2 friends?

If it is one person, overall it doesn’t really matter what he’s doing to himself on a small scale, if he’s tampering with the match though, and yes, I know K/D plays into match, but I mean bigger tampering, tactic pulling tampering etc, then a few kills of himself when it’s a daily doesn’t really matter. You can farm yourself in pve too you know via something like costume brawler, always have been able to and it never mattered despite getting participation for it.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Decay was put in b/c people like you kept complaining about stuff that doesn’t affect you. It’s threads like these that cause Anet to make sweeping changes to the game that ruins it for the rest of us.

It’s not the lone guy afk farming his pips. Trust me on that one.

Also its WvW did you expect non slim rewards?

Sviel.7493

I’ve actually never complained about people afk farming pips. I’ve engaged in discussions with people that wanted to find a way to avoid having maps clogged up and made hopefully reasonable suggestions, but it isn’t something I ever thought too much about.

@Daisy
I can’t be 100% certain it’s one person, but they did say as much. Also, the alt only moves from afk at citadel to afk in the corner waiting to die. It doesn’t really matter if it’s one or two people, though.

It doesn’t have a significant effect on the matchup, though, so I really don’t care that much. It’s been more amusing reading this thread and seeing the reactions than anticipated, though, so I think I’ll keep it up.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

This give me some ideas for the next time I’m scouting Hills or Bay and getting nothing for hours on end

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Gop.8713

Words of wisdom…

It’s really sad to read that players are twisting the system in such a way. The thing is : while rewards are grind gated, WvW is unfortunately not appealing enough as itself for some players. These could do little tasks to keep their participation, but the change to decay timer punishes hardly those who don’t commit enough in the game mode.

This is a brilliant demonstration of how pushing a behaviour the wrong way can lead to total opposite results.

Just speaking from personal experience, I used to play for hours without breaking or giving any thought to participation. Now that I’ve always got one eye on that participation bar I’ll occasionally cap a camp and decide ten minutes afk wouldn’t be such a terrible idea. And occasionally I’ll come back after ten minutes and decide to just cap a camp and afk again bc why not . . ?

I still spend hours actively roaming as well, it’s just that now it feels a bit more grindy bc I’m constantly reminded of it by the timer . . .

I do think it’s good that I’m breaking like that now though, prolly better for me than just sitting here all day lol . . .

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

I think the OP has a point and is this player it taking an spot in the map another more productive person could have.

Maybe there are no queues right now in that map but who can say if there is an attack to the Garrison in that map they wouldn’t need that spot? Here in baruch we have many of those and most of the time we got queues on map with only around 30 ppl around the commander.

AFK Farming deeply affects WvW as there are limited spots in each map.

So any type of activity which doesn’t help the game mode as such AFK farming should not be allowed.

An easy way to fix this type of behaviour is to disable the reset of decay timer for 30 minutes if you are killed by the same player. So you reset the decay time first time but next one you don’t. Same for NPCs, Thus a guy killing over and over the same guards/player will not give enough decay timer to avoid the reset of the participation.

This easy solution would cleanse SM duelers and AFK farmers instantly from WvW.

Duelers have EotM and Obsidian Sanctum for such entertainment.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Gop.8713

We’re starting to veer pretty far afield of the op’s original complaint at this point, but . . .

If you want to do something about afkers, it seems the simplest solution would be to adjust the actual afk timer. It is currently set at fifteen minutes, which seems ridiculously high to me. I’d say five is pushing it. Ofc the reason it is so high is bc all the ppl in those queued maps don’t want to lose their spot if they get up to eat or go to the bathroom or whatever. I would say it is reasonable to expect to be kicked while doing those things since it would allow more movement in the queue which would in turn make getting kicked and requeueing less of a hassle, but I’m betting the inevitable crying that would result from this change makes it a nonstarter . . .

As to your other point, I’m not sure we should really be prioritizing the ppl who are ‘most helpful’. Everyone is playing their own game that they all paid for — or not — and is entitled to play as they feel. That said, I’ve never understood why ppl who like to duel tend to do it in such high traffic areas then complain about being interrupted lol . . .

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

AFK Farming deeply affects

Full stop, no it doesn’t. If maps are queued, people more than likely move off as they’d rather be on outmanned maps.

Larger problem is we all have so many alt accounts, it’s easy for an enemy to fill up an enemy map before pushing a keep. That’s a real problem, where you have commander’s missing 20+ spots on a map.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I went with ‘botting,’ though that doesn’t seem quite right. I have screenshots and account names but there’s no way to submit those in a report.

The person in question hangs out near east Citadel exit on DBL. There’s a pocket far enough back that the legendary defenders won’t aggro you. They run their alt out, kill them, then afk.

Can some1 tell me how I report Hypocrisy?

Why are you even caring or trying to do anything about it?
Its not a big deal…..it honestly sickens me that anyone would throw such a big deal over this.

Are you jealous? Is that it? You want a way to do it urself? get on a trebuchet and aim it at smc or something and put a weight down on ur firing button….or bind it to ur mouse button and hold that mouse button down (various eez ways to do it electronically/physically). There, problem solved.

You realize that every single one of these complaint posts will lead anet towards a “fix” that punishes actually players as much as fake ones, right? Were you here 2 weeks ago for the “outnumbered” fix? WE ALLLLL make less pips now regardless of how you play. How is that good? You want to make everyone feel miserable over an issue that doesn’t exist? very very selfish.

There is no issue to begin with! Its a stupid backpack you spend 16 weeks grinding for! Its not skill based grinding either, its just a grind. Why do you feeeel cheated? There’s no reason to feel cheated even if some1 gets it for free. You should feel cheated for bothering to begin with. Its no differnt than some1 paying through raids for legendary armour…….if they want something like it THAT badly let them have it, its not free in any way. It ain’t free for them to spend all that time taking advantage of the wvsw system either.

If you could make twice as many pips 24/7 in wvsw with an exploit that doesn’t affect ur playtime at all (like flipping a switch)….would you do it? YOU WOULD DO IT. Here we have some1 using the system in such a way where his playtime hours are the same as urs, yet its unfair cause he’s afk?
Hypocrisy abound………if the game isn’t fun don’t play it, if he wants to sit there and afk and pretend he’s having fun let him.

You might as well post an argument on how being able to give gold away is an unfair exploit. “OMG HE GOT GOLD FOR FREEE ITS NOT FAIR I HAD TO GRIND ITTTTTTT ANND HE DIDN’TTT!!!” -that’s all ur argument amounts to….

And what about the people with multiple alternate accounts? having alternative accounts to begin with and being able to use them in such a way as to benefit a single account is EXPLOITATIVE. And yet its something that anet doesn’t enforce, and actually encourages in a number of ways through its gem store items and gamemodes like pvp.

Just get over it, you are drowning in a pool of hypocrisy if you continue down this path…you just haven’t noticed it yet.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Its not a big deal…..it honestly sickens me that anyone would throw such a big deal over this.

Are you jealous? Is that it? You want a way to do it urself? get on a trebuchet and aim it at smc or something and put a weight down on ur firing button….or bind it to ur mouse button and hold that mouse button down (various eez ways to do it electronically/physically). There, problem solved.

You realize that every single one of these complaint posts will lead anet towards a “fix” that punishes actually players as much as fake ones, right? Were you here 2 weeks ago for the “outnumbered” fix? WE ALLLLL make less pips now regardless of how you play. How is that good? You want to make everyone feel miserable over an issue that doesn’t exist? very very selfish.

There is no issue to begin with! Its a stupid backpack you spend 16 weeks grinding for! Its not skill based grinding either, its just a grind. Why do you feeeel cheated? There’s no reason to feel cheated even if some1 gets it for free. You should feel cheated for bothering to begin with. Its no differnt than some1 paying through raids for legendary armour…….if they want something like it THAT badly let them have it, its not free in any way. It ain’t free for them to spend all that time taking advantage of the wvsw system either.

If you could make twice as many pips 24/7 in wvsw with an exploit that doesn’t affect ur playtime at all (like flipping a switch)….would you do it? YOU WOULD DO IT. Here we have some1 using the system in such a way where his playtime hours are the same as urs, yet its unfair cause he’s afk?
Hypocrisy abound………if the game isn’t fun don’t play it, if he wants to sit there and afk and pretend he’s having fun let him.

You might as well post an argument on how being able to give gold away is an unfair exploit. “OMG HE GOT GOLD FOR FREEE ITS NOT FAIR I HAD TO GRIND ITTTTTTT ANND HE DIDN’TTT!!!” -that’s all ur argument amounts to….

And what about the people with multiple alternate accounts? having alternative accounts to begin with and being able to use them in such a way as to benefit a single account is EXPLOITATIVE. And yet its something that anet doesn’t enforce, and actually encourages in a number of ways through its gem store items and gamemodes like pvp.

Just get over it, you are drowning in a pool of hypocrisy if you continue down this path…you just haven’t noticed it yet.

I’m sure that there’s a lot of OS obtained Ultimate Dominator titles that don’t have a problem with this.

You all also realize that this affects the score? PPK anyone?

Then there’s the issue OP brings up about how difficult it is to actually report players in WvW, which has been an issue since the beginning.

Eventually this could get organized to the point where some servers only have DBL queued. I’d like to see a screenshot of that.

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I do not get AFK farming for pips. Even before the changes happened. IT would be very boring. I need to be doing something not just standing around. I do wait for the tick to end once I am done rallying, but as soon as that is over I either log out or go do something else.

Sviel.7493

@Cerby

Holy wow! You spent more time and effort on that single post than I did on this thread and the report combined! Why do you care so much?

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Maguuma… Shocking lul.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

So you’re basically saying this person is farming… but is actually not afk.
In a way, it’s not that different than spend a day flipping camps. It does serve your server better but it’s still farming. It’s something a lot of people, newcomers and veterans alike, do and talk about. A direct consequence of the weekly requirement being unnecessarily high.

Unless the person is using an exploit or a bot to maintain their participation or evade you, they’re still being active.

Yeah it’s dumb, yeah it’s not how a game is meant to be played. At the end of the day I’d rather see one or two guys like that than more aggressive decay nerf that would affect more players.

If they’re low rank they will never go far with this anyway.

(edited by Deihnyx.6318)

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

The real issue here is match manipulation if the OP is indeed correct about his hunch. However small that manipulation is doesn’t matter, it is still against the rules if he is suiciding an alt on himself.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Sviel.7493

Anet responded and suggested using this method to report this sort of thing.

Anet

For chat or behavior violations:
1. Right click on the player’s character
2. Click on the small portrait of the player near the top and center of your screen
3. Select “Report”
4. On the Player Conduct Report panel choose a reason for your report from the drop-down menu

This gives their support team a timestamp of when the event happened.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I agree, there should be a choice in the reporting system beyond what is in there now.

Reporting a player who is doing exactly what you’re saying it just about impossible and i don’t see Anet doing anything to those players since they are coming back week after week until links are changed.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

First… Does this really affect you? I mean really? Is your whole day ruined by this?

If so, then report, I guess.

CCCP….

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

I’m sure that there’s a lot of OS obtained Ultimate Dominator titles that don’t have a problem with this.

You all also realize that this affects the score? PPK anyone?

Then there’s the issue OP brings up about how difficult it is to actually report players in WvW, which has been an issue since the beginning.

Eventually this could get organized to the point where some servers only have DBL queued. I’d like to see a screenshot of that.

OK this actually made me LOL for real.

<3 Swamurabi.,

We all know who those kids were that farmed the OS for weeks for that title. Bunch of Sacryx wannabes.

CCCP….

(edited by Trajan.4953)

Sviel.7493

So, I just checked in-game (took a while, but I haven’t really been logging in much). It turns out that there’s no option for reporting players for this in-game. In other words, the GMs that answered the support ticket didn’t know what they were talking about.

I’ve sent a follow-up ticket for clarification with a full list of the actual things players can be reported for.

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Snitches get stitches lol. J/K I find it funny this is still a topic. They made this much harder to do now. Curious why you are so concerned about the few that are “breaking the rules”. I imagine if you focused more on what you would like to accomplish and less on what others are or are not doing, you would see more personal progress. Just a thought.

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Snitches get stitches lol. J/K I find it funny this is still a topic. They made this much harder to do now. Curious why you are so concerned about the few that are “breaking the rules”. I imagine if you focused more on what you would like to accomplish and less on what others are or are not doing, you would see more personal progress. Just a thought.

If your supervisor hired a friend of theirs, who has the same job description as you, yet they slept at their desk all day but still got paid and never reprimanded…would you think “that’s fair” and would never think about it? No, it would tick you off and you would complain to HR.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Sviel.7493

Fortunately, I’m not a thug, so I’m free to snitch all I want.

My personal progress is not impeded by the ~5 minutes a week I spent on this. It has provided plenty of amusement, though, for which I am most grateful.

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

could be worse i seen people tag up an afk xD