How do you define Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The story is bad. It’s universally accepted as bad. When the Transformers movies have a more coherent plot than a game who’s developers say are proud of their storyline then you know something is wrong.

Again, I don’t think the story in itself is bad. Just the pacing and how it’s written.

If they extended the pacing:

• They’d have had more time to address plot points (which is where the incoherence comes from).
  • Allow players to form bonds with NPC’s (Oh, Norn guy died? Well, I’ve known him for, what, 4 missions? Same with the Asuran bomb guy)
  • As above, more ‘emotional content’. What of my old warband? Surely they’d keep in touch? Especially Dinky. We’d been brought up together.
  • It generally would have gone smoother.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

A black mark on the genre.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Last I checked if I’m given a sub-par product it is within my right to let the creator know he did a bad job and needs to improve.

There’s a difference between telling them what they need to improve on as fact, your opinions and accusing things with no evidence to back it up.

I.E.

Fact – There’s buggy events and dungeons (a mate got indefinitely rooted for the entire fight in TA)

Opinion – There’s no endgame, story is bad (not so much the story, as how it’s paced)

Accusation with no evidence – Falsifying server population data

The story is bad. It’s universally accepted as bad. When the Transformers movies have a more coherent plot than a game who’s developers say are proud of their storyline then you know something is wrong.

Yet, I’m enjoying the story. So whether or not it is bad or good, is personal opinion. Could it have been better, yes, it could have. But I don’t think the story is bad.

For me Guild Wars 2 is an enjoyable game. If I want to beat enemies with relative ease, I just go to a lower level area. If I want a challenge, I go to areas my level or higher.

I’m not forced by the game to get certain gear in order to do things, though I imagine the pressure from other players will push me towards getting the gear. If humans weren’t so much like humans, it wouldn’t matter if a person was wearing rares, exotics, ascended, or legendary items. But we’re humans in this day and age. Which means we want all the best shinnies yesterday. Which means we try the hardest to get in groups with the best geared items. Because it’s the only indication we can get to determine a player’s skill.

Posted by: Dutchmango.5690

Dutchmango.5690

bot wars 2, ban wars 2, render wars 2, squeaker wars 2, im so bad everythings a exploit wars 2. must i go on…

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

Best MMORPG I’ve ever played.

Zabriel Dusk

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

massively multiplayer online console game.

go burst or go home spvpwvwvw wars 2.

treeguy is the hero of story wars 2.

hey look i swung my sword #1 button again and apparently that’s ok!

die and rez dungeon wars 2.

art and graphics are great though wars 2.

forget trinity, we have self heals, dodge rolls and run to tank while teams dps mechanics.

insert credit card for 250 more ectos please.

your eyes are bleeding but no camera zoom out farther for you!

oh kitten we released the wrong manifesto!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The story in Guild Wars 2 isn’t bad. It’s not Shakespeare either, but it’s not bad. It’s fine. Considering most MMOs don’t have a story at all (they just have lore), it’s a step in the right direction.

Compare it with something like TSW, which has a decent story and voice acting, but doesn’t voice your character, so everything ends up being a monologue. Since most MMOs have pretty much on story at all, the story in Guild Wars 2 is one of the best stories in any MMO, even if you don’t like it.

The limitations of the format account for part of the problem with the story, but the words universally accepted, or your earlier use of the word objective are just wrong. What you’re saying is subjective and since I don’t consider it bad, it’s not universally accepted.

Hyperbole remains hyperbole.

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Guild Wars 2: “That one MMO where playing a caster is actually fun and offers diverse styles of play.”

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

Gems to Gold Wars 2

Posted by: BrockMcCleery.9562

BrockMcCleery.9562

Fun but not overly special. Focus switch to PvE pretty much says it all.

Posted by: stallhorn.1836

stallhorn.1836

Looks like AN is going the same way SOE did with SWG, and we all know how that ended.

When you start radically changing a game, you are going to start losing players.

I now do not do dailys any more, thank you AN for freeing up play time for me.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Everything I expected and more. Super fun.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Right, fixed it. Guild Wars 2, the sequel to Guild Wars, departs from the formula found in Guild Wars, with a clear gear treadmill. “Exotic” weapons and gear are less powerful than “Ascended” items, and “Legendary” weapons are now and will always be scaled to be more powerful than both of these types. Casual players are unlikely to ever equip legendary weapons due to the time required to obtain the materials needed to construct a Legendary weapon. Ascended items, whilst being slightly more accessible, will still take days, or even months to equip for a casual player.

^ Doesn’t know what gear treadmill is. See tier gear in games like WoW for an example of what a gear treadmill actually is.

1. Ascended items are just as easy if not easier to get than most exotics, completing dailies, monthlies, daily fractals etc. Is child’s play for a casual.

2. No pre-requisites are required to obtain exotics/ascendeds, you just go and complete the simple activity required and over time gather your pieces, a casual can do this in minimal time and with minimal effort, as opposed to an actual gear treadmill with quest pre-requisites, high level stat pre-requisites and massive amount of time in a single session to obtain (see games like WoW).

3. I still don’t believe that you’ve ever played any other MMO (GW1 isn’t an MMO) if you think this incredibly casual game is “grindy” since after only a few dungeons and 2 days of being level 80, my warrior is full exotic and is now heading for some ascended amulet by completing the dailies as I level up my guardian, oh what a grind!!

4. This game doesn’t deviate at all from what it says it set out to accomplish as all players are equally capable of attaining the gear they want, as long as they’re skillful enough to attain it. Legendaries are hard work to attain and therefore get their name from this, even a casual player over a long period of time can acquire one but it was meant to be a long-term goal for those that wished to put in the effort. Self-entitled kids complaining that it’s too hard to obtain (hinting that they all want one with minimal effort) should stop saying that the game is grindy with Legendaries as their sole argument.

TL;DR version: Play something else because this game isn’t your cup of tea.

Gems to Gold Wars 2

Never known anyone to do this and it would cost a fortune in real money, it’s actual gold to gems for the players that KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

I couldn’t agree more. The voice overs, the cutscenes, the effort seemed wasted because of an incoherent plot with too much cliche as toppings.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Gem Store 2 or Shooting in the dark.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I couldn’t agree more. The voice overs, the cutscenes, the effort seemed wasted because of an incoherent plot with too much cliche as toppings.

Opinions are cool but as bad as games and their stories can be, Mass Effect 3 as an example, they’re not universally accepted as bad. I personally enjoyed GW2 and I still don’t understand the complaints about the voice-overs. I would like to hear what exactly was wrong about it besides the obvious silliness in some of the dialogue that was there purposefully.

(though some parts of the story was tedious and there were tidbits of dialogue that wasn’t acted out properly but I’m talking about a small portion of the game)

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Mace Fist Mojo.9083

Mace Fist Mojo.9083

A great entry level game for people looking to get into the MMO scene.

Not strongly suited for those who have played in more traditional MMOs. Its hard to compare, especially if you have been in another game for a long time. I’ve been in FFXI since its initial release and sometimes you find it hard to adjust.

Great game to get to the end easily and never be overpowered by someone who has played 1000 more hours than you.

If you are fine with looking like plain jane, can equip pretty much obtain end game equipment at minimal cost. If not, you may be grinding for awhile.

Storyline wasn’t great, but it was not bad. FFXI has some amazing storylines, so there is a biased high bar I set. But I don’t think it was GW2’s intent to make the story that deep but rather easy to understand. Storylines will expand I’m sure. People expect too much too quick however.

Not a game to rush. If you rush the experience, you will end up bored and on this forum talking about it.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

One word?

eSports

That’s a joke btw, what eSport? lol

Posted by: circusfreak.2403

circusfreak.2403

Best game Ive played since EQ and Final Fantasy and Ive tried ALOT. WoW took MMOs down a terrible road (opinion so please no trolling), but GW2 makes it fun again. Cant wait to see how it evolves.

Do not be fooled by what we percieve. Where there is perception there is deception.

(edited by circusfreak.2403)

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Fun but unrewarding.