How do you feel about getting Ascended Gear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Disclaimer: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Not-even-allowed-to-talk-about-Ascended-Gear/first#post817642 (TLDR: All feedback is appreciated, even about ascended gear)

Now that you’ve probably gotten your first piece of Ascended gear, how do you feel? Do you feel that gap from Exotics to Legendary bridged? Do you feel closer to getting the Legendary of your choice now that you’ve forked out around 40g for ectos and T6 mats?

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I haven’t gotten my first piece of ascended gear =\

Posted by: nachodragon.8159

nachodragon.8159

Sorry, was the gap supposed to be bridged? It seems like we are digging a hole instead? Maybe my dictionary is out of date, I should get a new one.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Honestly i have no interest in ascended gear, where would i need it, i’m in no plans going too deep down (lvl10+) into the new dungeon, yet at least.
As for other pve, who cares if i got exotics or not? They’re still valid for previous content say the least.
WvW? Cmon, it’s zergfest anyway, i doubt my performance will be affected much by those.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Dunno, can’t get a group to do fractals, or really any dungeon anymore for that matter. Since last weekend I guess people realized i’m just not a good enough of a player to go with them..Oh well, gives me time to catch up on my reading anyway.

Derk.3189

Honestly i have no interest in ascended gear, where would i need it, i’m in no plans going too deep down (lvl10+) into the new dungeon, yet at least.
As for other pve, who cares if i got exotics or not? They’re still valid for previous content say the least.
WvW? Cmon, it’s zergfest anyway, i doubt my performance will be affected much by those.

Whilst I don’t want to discard your comment, I have to say that if you haven’t tried WvW decked out in exotics, you won’t know that the experience is vastly different. Especially if you do glass cannon builds. I was quite surprised by this myself.

Derk.3189

I haven’t gotten my first piece of ascended gear =\

The back item is RNG (even though they said pre release this would never happen). The ring at level 10 is also RNG because there is apparently a bug that stops you from getting it to drop 100% of the time.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Whilst I don’t want to discard your comment, I have to say that if you haven’t tried WvW decked out in exotics, you won’t know that the experience is vastly different. Especially if you do glass cannon builds. I was quite surprised by this myself.

Maybe mesmer is just that op then, but since i have no problems staying alive for veryvery long time, nor picking up single targets one by one in the middle of groups, so whatever boost ascended gear would give, i honestly don’t care one bit.
Also glass cannons ftl, tanky spanky for life.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Gear grind is bad MMO design. Gear is the result of time spent playing and little else. There’s no compelling reason to reward players who have more time to spend with numerical superiority. They have more time to practice as an advantage already.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Posted by: Enzomiles.6197

Enzomiles.6197

I don’t have ascended gear but I have a prediction. They will come out with an easier way to get them. People who did the work to get them will be pissed about it and will have disdain for the people who got it easier. Terms like welfare epics will be used. I can already feel the love.

Posted by: Malvagite.3254

Malvagite.3254

ive been farming the bloods for the back piece all day, literally. ive looted 6.

i had 6 from before so im 12/250….

that is only a portion of the mats required. Ask me in a month how i feel when im close to having a quarter of the mats i need to make this 1 item.

Farming the same mob all day long is about the worst gaming experience i could ask for and i have weeks ahead of doing just this at the current drop rates.

Derk.3189

Gear grind is bad MMO design. Gear is the result of time spent playing and little else. There’s no compelling reason to reward players who have more time to spend with numerical superiority. They have more time to practice as an advantage already.

I know right. And I thought this game was made for people who don’t want to devote their lives to a game.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

ive been farming the bloods for the back piece all day, literally. ive looted 6.

i had 6 from before so im 12/250….

that is only a portion of the mats required. Ask me in a month how i feel when im close to having a quarter of the mats i need to make this 1 item.

Farming the same mob all day long is about the worst gaming experience i could ask for and i have weeks ahead of doing just this at the current drop rates.

Oh, but friend you’re hurting yourself! Don’t you know about the fabulous diminishing returns this game has? You should read up on it!!! Oh and while you’re at it, buy gems from the BLTC and trade them for gold (at a horrible rate, mind you) and you can have your backpiece TODAY!!!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I still wish ANet hadn’t introduced Ascended tier items, but I’ve made my peace with it. I’m treating them as miniature Legendaries in their own right; something I’ll slowly make progress towards, but I’m not that fussed if I don’t have them. Exotics worked fine for everything before, and apparently Agony isn’t a problem until you’re Level 10+ into the dungeon.

Posted by: valho.4605

valho.4605

Made myself an Endless Quiver last night, just had to fork out 1g30s+ to get the remainder of Ancient Bone that I need. Since I don’t plan to go for Legendary, I don’t really have much use for all those ectos, T6 mats and skill points I have. Now time to get some Powerful Blood, got 47/250 now.

Derk.3189

Bones are easy to get, I’ve kept my character at a certain story quest just to farm bones.

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

My major wish in my 8 year in GW is that they stop the ascend gear right now, if you cant roll back, stop in the rings/jewel and left the weapons and armor alone.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Apathetic. Won’t be getting any.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Huh? I didn’t even log in. I’m going to uninstall to make way for Planetside 2. At least I know what I’m getting from SOE… a few months of free fun before they screw up. At least they are consistent!!!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I got my Yakkington ascended book, and though granted, the skin isn’t that much to call home for I like it. Not for the stats, but because it’s yakkington’s travels book. TBH I wish there was a bit more to it than higher stats. (which I typically don’t care for) I guess I like that it’s visible, I can show it off a bit I admit. :P But stats weren’t the primary goal here. It would be the same if it were exotic.

As for bridging the gap to legendary, I do understand a bit what they meant with that. Though you could say the same for destroyer or corrupted weapons really. I think I feel about the same as if I would get one of those.

It’s not in a way that I feel it’s a bridge also cause its a backpiece. Not a weapon. And the “shininess” is mostly on the quivers. A book is a book. And the mad king memoires are basically the same. If not a slightly better skin even.

I think I would’ve liked a less generic skin. Something that would show.. THIS is yakkington’s and nicholas’ book. Or Koss’ book. (Lol imagine Koss’ face on it :P)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Derk.3189

Have you checked out the tome of rubicon? It looks completely different to the tome of rubicon on GW1 wiki. Lmao.

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

I’ll get it when I get it. I don’t even need it anywhere except Fractals, and I can easily play all of the fractals on a lower difficulty level without having to worry about it.

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

The same people who are complaining about the new “tier” of gear are the same people who were complaining that there was nothing to do three weeks ago.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

I cared about being top geared.

Until ascended came out, then I stopped playing.

“The same people who are complaining about the new “tier” of gear are the same people who were complaining that there was nothing to do three weeks ago.”

A few probably, but in no way all of them. I was complaining for free waypoints so I could do more of the game, not that there wasn’t enough to do.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

It is nice, I liked the feeling of actual “loot” that was missing from explorables (something that should have been addressed withing the first two weeks).

However it needs adjustments:

1-4: Insanely stupid easy fractals only with VERY weak mobs/bosses (casual 3 man stuff). This will ease players who are unfamiliar with dungeon mechanics into them. Base fights and base boss with maybe one AE that does 1/4 hp poll dmg. Not enough to insta shot, but enough to make new players dodge.

5-9: base 1-9 difficulty we have now. Add a chance of ascended rings to drop similar to 10+. People are hitting level 10+ and never getting their Agony resistance back due to RNG or gold reasons (82 power bloods here=/)

That would help ease people into ascended without having to grind 1-9 which is irritating.

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Don’t want to grind a dungeon to get it. I enjoy the maps and wvwvw. Don’t want to grind dungeons. So if there is a reasonable karma or badge way I’m ok.

I’m guessing there won’t be and I think it sucks.

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

The same people who are complaining about the new “tier” of gear are the same people who were complaining that there was nothing to do three weeks ago.

Is that so? Where was the 10000+ thread post demanding gear with extra stats a few weeks ago? And besides, “things to do” is not the same as a new tier of gear. The halloween event had plenty of things to do, and nobody complained with a 10000+ thread post (which was then closed).

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I had essence drop from the fractals and though, hey i could make an ascended back item…then i took a closer look at the recipe. 80g worth of crafting mats.
Felt like a slap to the face, and frankly that´s how i feel about getting ascended items in general now.

All my alts have been given a death sentence prettymuch, though i doubt i´ll stay long enough to even kit out my main if things continue to progress the way they are.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Given the amount of items needed for the back it would take a while as well as cut into your saving for Legendary. Never mind make an essence infusion. It seems to go against their “building a bridge” ideology. They really love their 250 ea.

As far as the ring, I highly doubt I will ever get that far in Fractals (only on level 2). Don’t have the health to play consistently, even though I do enjoy the dungeon, getting a group for me is not easy for personal reasons. But I’m not going to gripe about my shortcomings preventing me from getting items.

Overall, I wish they had just made the agony resist gear a separate entity that people could grind but no stat difference. Plenty of people would farm gear for resistance and not complain (those that don’t mind spending time grinding for gear) and everyone else can be happy they all remain on the same level.

At the moment I have kind of lost my enjoyment in the game. But I almost feel there is even less a reason for me to keep playing, if I am not farming Fractals. I’ll check back in for Winter’s veil and other holidays. But as far as grinding gear to keep up idk. Expansions? I even less want to know what that has in store for me besides story.

It should be said, I have nothing against grinding for items, money, etc. or grinding in general in a game. But I, like others, came to GW1 and this game expecting it to be all laid out in front of us and not have to worry about significant gear elevation like other MMOs experience. I’m not going to spout about them breaking their “promise” or whatever. But I would have liked to have seen them use another route then the current one.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

my thought : current strategy is a stupid move really.

if i were ANET, my strategy would involve elevation of currently worn exotic armor to ascension. of course it will involve items that are available as drops if you willing to farm them, or at TP if you want the short cut. that way we’ll have gear progression, as they are not automatically become obsolete, only need to be upgraded….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

my thought : current strategy is a stupid move really.

if i were ANET, my strategy would involve elevation of currently worn exotic armor to ascension. of course it will involve items that are available as drops if you willing to farm them, or at TP if you want the short cut. that way we’ll have gear progression, as they are not automatically become obsolete, only need to be upgraded….

That would be a perfect solution, in a perfect world. Item farm for time sink or potential money/karma sink. Can have or don’t have to have item unless you participate in an area that needs resistance; prices of exotics don’t tank for crafters, etc. Everyone is happy.

Posted by: xiaovi.1253

xiaovi.1253

IMO:Ascended gear is useless in FOTM level 10+. A good player doesn’t need Infusion to survive in there. Just know the boss mechanic(which skill has agony and dodge it). I have the ascended back and I’m in the FOTM level 10+ bracket, so i know how “OP”(sorry useless) are the new ascended gears in FOTM.

And if you think that few extra stats gonna make u a better player in PVE and WvW, then by all means.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I don’t have ascended gear but I have a prediction. They will come out with an easier way to get them. People who did the work to get them will be pissed about it and will have disdain for the people who got it easier. Terms like welfare epics will be used. I can already feel the love.

This is exactly what will happen. You sir, are a smart cookie.

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

Not going to bother with ascended gear. If this makes it hard to get dungeon groups, I’ll play something else. It’s what generally happens when I get bored with grind in an MMO.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

I dont like grinding my as of for gear. I am looking for another game. I play GW2 until then, but they will get no more cent from me for this treadmill.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

(edited by IonicBlaze.7948)

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I don’t have ascended gear yet. I have been lvl9 for days but end up running lower levels to catch my guildies up. By virtue of that though, I have a ton of tokens. So when I do get the ring after 10, buying the infusion will be nbd.

Still have been playing WvW without an issue. Still doing dungeons, story missions with friends, and fractals without a problem. Not having ascended stuff hasn’t changed a single thing. I can’t imagine having it will change a single thing.

If it weren’t for the fact that I just really really want a quiver, I would be fine with exotics and ascended jewelry for agony at the higher levels. The other pieces, ill get them when I get them.

I was completing content just fine and having a good time while using rares from story mode and drops before I could finally craft/buy all my exotics, and before that it was rares and masterwork on the way up to 80. Going from exotic to ascended will be the same thing.

This still isn’t most other MMOs where the gear defines the player. You can still be outplayed, outclassed, and taught new things by someone with inferior gear who is just better. At least that much is similar to the original GW. Not everyone could afford those runes of superior vigor on all their characters :p

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I want to get it by doing enjoyable things, not grinding dungeons. I hate dungeons.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Avengersoul.8256

Avengersoul.8256

Despite people complaining about the ascended gear being just another grind to get… you know the usual whining that people do….

By running difficulty level 2 fractals I had the item needed to craft the ascended back piece, Just from very casual play I had all of the skill points and ectos and most of the tier 6 mats needed, the rest I bought from the TP.

As for the rings, you get your first one at difficulty 10-11… I’m only on difficulty 4 atm and the dungeon itself is not difficult in comparison to other dungeons in this game and it’s actually fun and easy to find groups since everyone is doing it…

People will complain about anything, heck they even complain about handouts/free stuff that is given to them… this is definitely no exception. It doesn’t take loads of money to get this stuff, it takes playing the game the way you normally play. The only reason it’s going to take your life away or all your gold is if you’re so impatient you have to have the gear “RIGHT THIS SECOND” In which case you need to look at your own personal faults, not ArenaNet for adding something to the game.

Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I got luck twice this weekend (once with a precursor and once with a mists essence). I have guildies who have been running FotM since launch and never gotten the mists essence. I was able to buy my way to the quiver back slot (I only got it because it’s a quiver, not because of that stats – ironically the old progression motivation). I will not be repeating this effort ever again on another of my toons – it’s way too much work for a single item, despite that item being incredibly powerful by comparison.

I hated the grind for ecto, I hated the grind for the tier six mats. I hated the grind my guildies are experiencing with the mists essence. The entire design for this garbage is utterly unfun and far too time consuming. The only motivation I had to do it at all was the looks of the quiver (it’s a pretty ugly looking quiver). I wouldn’t have bothered had I not won the lottery twice this weekend.

So there you have it. After experiencing the new ascended item in the game, I hate it. It doesn’t feel like the game I purchased, the amount of grind to obtain it is ridiculous and it goes against what I bought this game for. If FotM wasn’t as much fun as it is, I probably wouldn’t bother to get even this far. I can see myself growing tired of them if I repeat them too much (especially if I tried to gear up my alts).

Despite having exotic jewellery, I had a green back piece. It didn’t feel bad to upgrade it because I had always intended to wait for the exotic back piece to be added. If I had been upgrading my hard earned dungeon gear, I wouldn’t even bother. I’d just quit. I didn’t run dungeons three times a day for a month to have to do the same + use a transmutation stone to re-attain the same thing I used to have (best in slot). After experiencing the grind in-game, I retain my bad move ArenaNet stance. Nothing has changed for me since the reveal.

Columba.9730

Despite people complaining about the ascended gear being just another grind to get… you know the usual whining that people do….

By running difficulty level 2 fractals I had the item needed to craft the ascended back piece, Just from very casual play I had all of the skill points and ectos and most of the tier 6 mats needed, the rest I bought from the TP.

As for the rings, you get your first one at difficulty 10-11… I’m only on difficulty 4 atm and the dungeon itself is not difficult in comparison to other dungeons in this game and it’s actually fun and easy to find groups since everyone is doing it…

People will complain about anything, heck they even complain about handouts/free stuff that is given to them… this is definitely no exception. It doesn’t take loads of money to get this stuff, it takes playing the game the way you normally play. The only reason it’s going to take your life away or all your gold is if you’re so impatient you have to have the gear “RIGHT THIS SECOND” In which case you need to look at your own personal faults, not ArenaNet for adding something to the game.

Goodie for you. Some of us hate dungeons and will never do them. Why didn’t they make these available in wvwvw right away? It can’t be that hard. Yes, they added mandatory dungeon grinds to be competitive. thanks.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I pass, if ascended is going to have the same stats as legendary, I rather farm for the legendary than this ascended gear. Legendary is supposed to be the highest tier, lets see if they don’t add in the future a “ultra legendary +10” thing later on.

As of the ascended gear being “one more step before legendary”, it’s useless, there was no point on making exotics “useless”.

For now I will stick to exotics and little by little farm for my legendary… I never planed to get it in the first place… but since it will have better stats in the future… there’s nothing else I can do but get it to have the 100% off my character. Thanks for making me grind like nuts for something I didn’t want to get…

Oh and I did read somewhere they’re going to add legendary armors, so… ascended is going to be useless sooner or later.

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

do you know why the old thread closed?
BECAUSE everyone open each thread with same complaint/whine and same discussion..

I as player just tired about that thread, how about developer or Forum Moderator?

I believe that the reason why they close that thread… not silence the player.

so please stop open a new thread with same issue…

please…

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

AcidicVision.5498

Goodie for you. Some of us hate dungeons and will never do them. Why didn’t they make these available in wvwvw right away? It can’t be that hard. Yes, they added mandatory dungeon grinds to be competitive. thanks.

I know they said the items could be obtained in WvW but I haven’t looked for them. Nothing has been added yet for the rings or essences? That’s really all there is to get so far and they are the only things that cant be had via trading post or charity.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I, of course, won’t be participating in the grind to Ascended. It is, after all, the mother of all gear grinds. Simply not interested. And, I won’t be visiting the gemstore at all. I’ve probably spent hundreds of dollars so far. I will only resume purchases if they remove the stat inflation from the gear. I really have no interest in grindy MMO’s.

Columba.9730

I know they said the items could be obtained in WvW but I haven’t looked for them. Nothing has been added yet for the rings or essences? That’s really all there is to get so far and they are the only things that cant be had via trading post or charity.

No, no other way to get these other than the accursed dungeons, which I abhor. They said they’d be available in pve and WVW “over time,” whatever that means. They are forcing us through these dungeons to get the best gear, which is beyond annoying.

AcidicVision.5498

oh, you and I had this argument of being forced to do something before. We aren’t going down that rabbit hole again. But I will offer up some advice…skill levels in GW can make more of a difference than raw stats.

If you feel you can’t match up to other people just because they have a ring and a back-piece that you don’t, then you may want to practice more. Because I can promise you, even once you get those things, people with last seasons exotics or rares will still kill you and it will have nothing to do with gear.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I, of course, won’t be participating in the grind to Ascended. It is, after all, the mother of all gear grinds. Simply not interested. And, I won’t be visiting the gemstore at all. I’ve probably spent hundreds of dollars so far. I will only resume purchases if they remove the stat inflation from the gear. I really have no interest in grindy MMO’s.

Haven’t used the cash shop since halloween (costumes) e.e not even for transmutation stones.

If they keep making this kind of stuff, I will simply withdraw my few bucks spent monthly. Not like I need it anyway… I just wanted to support but if that means I will get multiple-slap-combo then thanks but no thanks.

I got both halloween costumes because I felt like giving something in exchange, I could pretty much have used my gold to get them but gave them some money because they were doing it right.

But now? heh, you know my answer…

Posted by: Avengersoul.8256

Avengersoul.8256

If you honestly think that the few stat increases from 3 items is going to give someone the edge or “ease” to kill you and stop you from being competitive… you must not be very good at pvp and suggest you stop.

Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Malefactor.2971

Malefactor.2971

Don’t have any, don’t really care. I’ve gotten 5 characters to max level now, and each time I hit 80 and equip them in exotics, I promptly roll another one. There’s not a whole lot to keep my interest tbh, and doing the same dungeon, no matter how well designed or how fun, over and over isn’t my idea of “end game”.

I’m not bothered by the addition of it, I just don’t care. It’s 1 more grind in a game full to the brim with grind if you really want to get anything done.

Want gold? Grind.
Want Karma? Grind
Want Dungeon sets/weapons? Grind
Want to craft anything other than ugly pearl exotic weapons? Grind
Want a Legendary? Mega grind + RNG (or grind more gold)

The only part of PvE that’s not really a grind is leveling to 80, which is quite fun imo.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

7 successfull dungeon runs till now (lvl 5 btw).

I didn t even got the vial…and in order to access ascended level i need 16 of those vials plus 850 tier 6 naterials, hudreds ectoplasms etc…..

Also i’ll need 2 random drops rings…

So i really doubt many people have ascended items right now…
People with 4 friends that can play at the same time, maybe have some…

Most players that are stuck in LA trying to set up a party of their level are not even near to get 1 piece.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.