How does LFG actually work?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

With the advent of megaserver, one would expect to find the lfg full of people looking to do raids, fractals etc, but more often than not, I am seeing very sparse listings.

Last night, I was trying to assemble a group for wing 3 raid and it took us an hour to get the team together. Surely with the amount of people that play this game, the groups should fill up instantly? It’s also not because of harsh requirements to join either. It was a simple lfg exp with the required classes/roles. So I’m wondering is lfg still server based or do your adverts go out to literally everyone playing online atm?

If they do, then I worry about the playerbase of this game because sheer mathematical probability means our groups should almost be insta filled. It is taking far too long to get people together to do the content.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

People still have to see the listing and want to join.

Of my time spent in game less than maybe 3 minutes a week is spent looking at or using LFG and i’m sure i’m not alone in this.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I, very rarely, use the LFG. Yet, I always see other players, no matter where I go. /shrug

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I use looking for group all the time. I’m not convinced a huge percentage of the playerbase raids, and I"m fairly certain most who raid don’t pug.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The message goes out to everyone in your region – EU or NA. But not all of them will see it.

Why?

Because they have to be online and looking at the LFG tool and looking at the right section. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of people spend the majority of their time offline (because they’re sleeping, working, eating, doing other hobbies, etc.) and the majority of their time online with the LFG tool closed because they’re not looking for a group at that precise moment.

Even so I’ve never had trouble finding a group when I wanted one, whether it’s for dungeons, Fractals, story missions (admittedly only ones lots of people have trouble with, like the Mordremoth fight).

But even as someone who quite likes PUGs I don’t know I’d go to the LFG tool to find a raid group. Two of my guilds offer to teach raiding, and that way I could get a regular group to raid with which seems to be an actual benefit for raids, so I’d go to them.

Although I have been thinking of putting an advert in LFG saying something like “Never raided before, feel like giving it a go, anyone want to come?” literally just to go in and see what happens, because I’d like to do that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Less people playing this content and less people playing GW2 anyway. If we can take the earnings and the forum posts as an indication of declining popularity, it is no big surprise it takes a long time to find people.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Uvirith.9573

Uvirith.9573

Bug Fix:
Fixed a bug in which the Looking for Group tool would not display all postings.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Bug Fix:
Fixed a bug in which the Looking for Group tool would not display all postings.

That bug fix was 4 days ago the OP was talking about yesterday so I’m not sure I understand the relevance.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Less people playing this content and less people playing GW2 anyway. If we can take the earnings and the forum posts as an indication of declining popularity, it is no big surprise it takes a long time to find people.

Except it doesn’t take a long time to find groups for fractal dailies, or even the leather farm. Raiding is simply done by the smallest percentage of the populous.

And lower earnings isn’t necessarily an indication of less players. I still play but I spend less than I used to.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Except it doesn’t take a long time to find groups for fractal dailies, or even the leather farm. Raiding is simply done by the smallest percentage of the populous.

And lower earnings isn’t necessarily an indication of less players. I still play but I spend less than I used to.

I suspect that’s true of a lot of people, since a lot of what appears “new” on the gem store is old stuff being re-released. The longer you’re playing the less truly new stuff there is to buy. And of course long-term players who are clued into how Anet does things are more likely to make sure they log in to get the Living Story chapters free, so they won’t need to buy them.

Although circumstances can change. I didn’t get the black feather wings when they first came out because they didn’t suit any of my characters, but I’ve got new ones since then so when they came back a while ago I bought them immediately.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

The groups fill in like 5 seconds. Then they disappear.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Raids are not something that most people are willing to do with people they meet on LFG. Using LFG for nearly any other kind of content will almost always get you very quick results.

For raiding, you are going to want to join a guild dedicated to it (or one dedicated to training for them, if you aren’t experienced).

Server: Devona’s Rest