How important are alts...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

in making gold?

Given the diminishing returns one gets from farming/grinding a certain area over and over, people make alts in order to ‘bypass’ some of the restrictions. In most MMORPGs I played, alts are mostly only made in order to learn the skills of other races/professions for PvP or so that they can fill up the role required in a specific content (healers vs Boss battles for example). I understand the purpose of Anet for implementing DR, but has anyone ever encountered another game that gives so big a benefit in alts as much as gw2? With alts, I feel like one can earn a lot more gold than someone who doesn’t – via farming tokens from dungeon and chests from world bosses for example.

It seems like people who’d rather roleplay as one character are at a big disadvantage then. Personally, I don’t feel like alts should give such a distinct privilege over others who don’t.

For those altoholics , how much difference do alts make in terms of getting rich ingame (specifically hardcore farmers that play 1 character all throughout vs altoholics)? And how imperative is it to make alts in the game?

Lastly, I found the last bit about ‘endgame’ a bit finny in a gw2 parody related to alts..

GW2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftaMx4_5aNU

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I have 7 level80, working on my 8 and 9. I have 1500 hours played across all my characters and have about 1000 worth of gold, material, or gem. I have no legendary

You see the trend? If I spend those 1500 hours farming at 5 gold per hour I would have like 7500+ gold.

Yes without doubt you’ll make more money. But if your only purpose is to make more money you might as well save those time to level alt to farm more money.

I think the huge deciding factor is how much you play per day. If you play a lot, it is not a bad idea to invest about 100 gold to level through crafting and gear your alt up. Even that, it take many dungeon runs and dragon chest to recoup that cost.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Darkside.5679

Darkside.5679

I have 6 max level characters and more on the way and I can say without a doubt that more characters equals more income. Dragon chests for every character, tokens for dungeons for every character and the daily chest in fractals for every character. Without a doubt having alts makes a difference if you’re willing to put in the time.

Edit: I suppose with some of those examples they don’t mean more income, but a much easier time gearing up characters.

(edited by Darkside.5679)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

To me it helps a bit i have 9 level 80s it gives me more options..

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

since several daily rewards are character specific, and DR is character specific, it definitely have alts.
Some people say that this game is not alt-friendly. I completely disagree. The more alts you have the more times you can do the once per day per char events

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

If time is not a constraint, then having more alts equates to earning more money in the long run.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Is there any way that a person with only 1 character can catch up to those who have multiple alts in terms of farming? I think fotm is the only place where alts won’t matter?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I have 11 character slots and, with my Necro this week hitting 80, I have 10 max level characters. All that activity has led to a lot of mats over time, but I think alts are now more of a liability long-term than an advantage. The reason for that is the power curve we are now grinding through dailies, monthlies, and fractals if you do dungeons. Prior to the Feb monthly I never got a monthly though I rarely missed dailies. At my rate it would take 10 months to buy 1 piece of gear for each of my max level characters. I think it’s wholly impractical to think you are going to be able to maintain alts over time in this game. It was nice while it lasted, but I’m actually trying to narrow the field down to one character. It’s hard as I really do enjoy them all. TLDR: Alts are more of a disadvantage overall.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You might make more money by running alts thru the events that give you chests but its at least partially offset by the money you lose while leveling alts in low level areas and the cost of buying armor and weapons. Particularly if you get full exotics for each.

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

I used to have 4 characters parked at the rich ori node in southsun.. now that it’s gone i am too lazy to farm, i just play the game for fun and never run into issues with gold. I also didn’t level those characters to be farming mules, I leveled them because it was fun… I never wanted a legendary because well everquest invented “Epic Weapons” in what, 2001? I got an epic back then, and It didn’t require you to spend currency at all. You went on an extensive quest around the entire game world to get it, it was an epic quest. Epic Quest… ya that has a nice ring to it, sounds like fun. When I hear Legendary weapon im like yea it’s so “legendary” that it’s on the trading post.. so yea, no need for gold, no desire to farm. I don’t care if some fiend is so obsessed with fake money that they spend their own life time satisfying that need. I’m having fun playing that’s all I really care about.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

For those altoholics , how much difference do alts make in terms of getting rich ingame (specifically hardcore farmers that play 1 character all throughout vs altoholics)? And how imperative is it to make alts in the game?

I have 8 characters: two 80s, one 60, two in the early 50s, one in the early 40s, one at 36 and one at 23. I am far, far from being rich in game. Only since the recent change to event chests have I begun to accumulate a little gold. Well, that and because I have not bothered to outfit my most recent 80 in exotic gear as of yet. I don’t really farm, though. Oh, I take a stab at it every once in a while, but I soon get bored and move on to something else.

Alts are very important to me. If I couldn’t play alts… ack! I wouldn’t last long in a game without alts. Creating characters is often as much fun for me as actually playing them. Which is why I miss City of Heroes. 12 characters per server… lots of servers… an altoholics paradise. Alas!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

At the moment, I’ve lost quite a bit more gold than I’ve made off of any of my alts.

To be fair, though, once one of my characters hits 80, I usually move immediately to the next one in line, so gold making for any purpose other than self-sustainment is usually out of the question.

Once I finally settle down on the leveling thing, I’ll probably make more money off of my alt collection.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Alts eat through money.