How is Jewel inappropriate?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

I tried to create a character named Kaylee Jewel and it told me that the name is inappropriate. What is offensive about Jewel? I know it’s Jewel because I’ve named characters Kaylee before. So what gives?

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Jewel has the word Jew imbedded in the name. They don’t want people making racist names so they forbid that combination of letters in any name.
The filter is pretty strict. For example, someone wanted to make a Norn with the last name Owlsdottir. They couldn’t because Owlsdottir has LSD in the middle of the name and the filter saw that.

Could try the name of an actual jewel, Kaylee Sapphire, for example. Or Kaylee Fireopal (if an elementalist)

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: razieljones.1408

razieljones.1408

yup I tried to make a name for my asura thief ‘Pinprick’ not allowed, I can only imagine because of the word prick. ah well.

Beast.9516

Wow. Just wow. I wonder how the Jewish community feels about their religion being classified as a dirty word. That in and of itself is offensive. But I understand they have good intentions.

Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: razieljones.1408

razieljones.1408

I’m sure if you tried to use any other religion you would get the same result, keep religion out of my fantasy realm:)

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

I would submit a ticket over this, thats just kitten

Astral Projections.7320

Wow. Just wow. I wonder how the Jewish community feels about their religion being classified as a dirty word. That in and of itself is offensive. But I understand they have good intentions.

It’s not considered a “dirty” word by the filter. You can’t use a name that contains Christ or Mohammed for example either. It’s because if they did allow it, someone would be sure to make up some sort of inflammatory name. For business reasons, it’s better for ANet to cut such names off at the character creation screen. Even if it blocks perfectly innocent names like Jewel.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

Since this subject has been brought up, I’m wondering about other types of names being against the naming TOS.

Ice Cream Cone, Man Parts, Eleven Inches, Grilled Cheese, Naga Bike etc etc. Just stupid names.

Are these types of names reportable as being innapropriate?

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

I’d like to takes moment to congratulate Beast on his excellent taste. I assume kaylee was to be an engineer?

80 ele
Yaks Bend

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d like to takes moment to congratulate Beast on his excellent taste. I assume kaylee was to be an engineer?

If not, then it needs to happen now anyway.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Beast.9516

With a Guild names Browncoats of Serenity Valley how could she be anything else?

Fort Aspenwood

Beast.9516

I’ve seen some pretty offensive things using accented characters (like ß) Also have seen some really really bad guild names.

Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I’m curious why it won’t let you use the name “Jewel”, but there is a trade called “Jeweler”.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

Any name containing the word “weed” is also inappropriate. Which is too bad because it prevents a lot of good Sylvari (sur)names, like Stinkweed or Tumbleweed.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Astral Projections.7320

I’m curious why it won’t let you use the name “Jewel”, but there is a trade called “Jeweler”.

Probably for the same reason there is a Kessex Hills in the game but the profanity filter turns it into Kes*** Hills in chat. The names of things in the game are handled differently from character creation or chat.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Probably for the same reason there is a Kessex Hills in the game but the profanity filter turns it into Kes*** Hills in chat. The names of things in the game are handled differently from character creation or chat.

they should add an exception in the chat that if you type “Kessex” or “kessex” it should allow it but ANY other combination would be censored imo (Even KeSsex should be censorered) since you are actually writing and ingame area name then

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

It’s not considered a “dirty” word by the filter. You can’t use a name that contains Christ or Mohammed for example either. It’s because if they did allow it, someone would be sure to make up some sort of inflammatory name. For business reasons, it’s better for ANet to cut such names off at the character creation screen. Even if it blocks perfectly innocent names like Jewel.

At least they allow names with the el ending that would be taking it too far if they barred those

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

It’s because if they did allow it, someone would be sure to make up some sort of inflammatory name. For business reasons, it’s better for ANet to cut such names off at the character creation screen.

I’ve seen this argument often enough, since Anet isn’t the first company to do this by any stretch. I don’t quite buy it. If you just want to be offensive, you don’t need to be able to use a small selection of specific words. Sure, you can’t call yourself “death to insert ethnicity here” or something, but if you really aim to offend, do you really think you would stop there?

Arguably, nice players who just want to call their characters Jewel aren’t in a worse position either. Of course, they’re also not restricted to that limited set of words and can easily choose a different name.

But in the end, people who want to offend can still offend, and additionally we get these threads about once per week when someone finds some innocent name banned because of a short trigger word. So the filter makes this even more visible. Additionally, in many jurisdictions, this filter places the burden on Anet when someone actually does get through with an offending name, because the filter counts as moderation. Because they do moderate, they’re expected to moderate everything.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

This!

Bet she was kinda dreamy, too…

Astral Projections.7320

It’s because if they did allow it, someone would be sure to make up some sort of inflammatory name. For business reasons, it’s better for ANet to cut such names off at the character creation screen.

I’ve seen this argument often enough, since Anet isn’t the first company to do this by any stretch. I don’t quite buy it. If you just want to be offensive, you don’t need to be able to use a small selection of specific words. Sure, you can’t call yourself “death to insert ethnicity here” or something, but if you really aim to offend, do you really think you would stop there?

Arguably, nice players who just want to call their characters Jewel aren’t in a worse position either. Of course, they’re also not restricted to that limited set of words and can easily choose a different name.

But in the end, people who want to offend can still offend, and additionally we get these threads about once per week when someone finds some innocent name banned because of a short trigger word. So the filter makes this even more visible. Additionally, in many jurisdictions, this filter places the burden on Anet when someone actually does get through with an offending name, because the filter counts as moderation. Because they do moderate, they’re expected to moderate everything.

It is more likely to be in place for legal reasons, more then effectiveness. Someone can still make an offensive name involving hate speech, but if the company sets a filter in place so those people are forced to go around it, lawyers have less of a legal way to blame ANet.

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

That would be so shiny.

Posted by: Zolpidem.2851

Zolpidem.2851

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

What still pisses me off is that innocent words like this are censored because someone “might” find some way to be offensive, and yet words which are entirely offensive, and have no other meaning but as racial slurs are perfectly acceptable.

I made a character several months ago just to prove the point – Abo Boong. Not only was the name acceptable, it was not filtered in-game or on the forum. In Australia this is the equivalent to calling a character kitten kitten (that’s a four letter word starting with C and a six letter word starting with N).

And yes, I do know that boong means something like brother in Malagasi, which does complicate things. But the last time I read one of these threads it was about censoring a perfectly innocent French word which was offensive slang in a single US city.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

Yeah, Ive seen a Dribbley Leaksnatch running around. But Jewel gets filtered? XD LMAO Amusing.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

You´re right! That IS offensive.

I don´t want anything like that near my Guild Wars. Good call, badly programmed censoring filter!
:p
/sarcasm (for those that need a 2×4 to get a joke)

Polish > hype

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

You should ask the gay community how they feel about gay being a curse word. In my opinion we should collectively mature a bit and not be insulted so easily.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

Jewel is just another name for a gem. And gem is truly outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

EDIT: Ok, you guys. Thanks for the notes. I had forgotten that old cultural reference to the outrageousness of Gem (80’s, anyone?) and seriously thought someone was “outraged” about the blocking of the word Jewel. Thanks for the explanations.

Beast — “Jewel” should not be blocked. It is, and we’re sorry for the inconvenience. In many cases — like “Jewel” and “Kessex” — the issue has arisen due to faulty filter settings. I have a list of several names and words that need to be added to or adjusted within the filter. (Yep, “weed” is one.) But these changes must take place at specific times in the development/ build cycle, and I can’t get them in right now. (I know this because, ironically, I tried to get them in a few days ago.)

Words added to the filter are not necessarily “dirty words” or “curse words.” That’s another hyperbolic leap that isn’t at all contributing to this discussion. Sometimes, words are added to prevent offense to others, or offense directed to the user. And sometimes, they’re there by accident!

I will try my mightiest to get “jewel” removed from the list, as I am currently trying to get a few other harmless words removed, and as I have gotten a few removed in the past. I may create a thread in the future to ask for your input, but right now, I’d rather let everyone cool down and wait for a time when I think the conversation could be more constructive. (With apologies to those who are acting responsibly in this thread.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)