How is the game these days?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rahzillious.6837

Rahzillious.6837

So with this new expansion coming I’ve been toying with the idea of coming back. I had heart of thorns when I left. But I left mainly cause of the tedious crafting to get legends and the constant changes of all the PvP. I love both elements of the game…but I don’t ever have that feeling of being really “good at your class” type feel.

Is it worth trying again? Has the changes helped or hinder this game since heart?

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Basically stockholm syndrome. Tedious things are still tedious. WvW and PvP are about the same. Living Story 3 is comparable to HoT moreso than vanilla or LS1/2. So nothing’s really changed, we’re all just hoping PoF isn’t garbage.

Legendary Defender of Casuals

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Eh, speak for yourself. 9K hrs in and still having fun, mainly playing WvW.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Ganpot.3879

Ganpot.3879

I just got back to the game a few weeks ago. From what I can tell, crafting is still extremely convoluted and getting any legendary still takes a large chunk of time. I have no idea whatsoever how good the PvP situation is at the moment, and the few times I’ve entered WvW I’ve only seen a handful of people (I was exploring the map, so it’s possible there were large zergs and I just missed them entirely).

I will say that PvE seems a lot better than I remember it being (I quit shortly after launch). Most professions have room for fun experimentation with builds (prior to building ascended gear), and traits are far more interesting and balanced than when I quit. However, I’m not convinced that the overall balance between professions is in a particularly good place right now, and I don’t expect Path of Fire to help that. I decided to pre-order PoF pretty much purely because I enjoy the PvE content from the base game and HoT, and because I got to play around with the raptor mount during a demo weekend (I really loved it).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Generally, legendary crafting got a bit simplified compared to the initial wave of second-gen legendaries that came with HoT, but it’s still more tedious than in case of original legendaries (for one, you have to craft precursor as well), and it still requires HoT materials/currencies (not only for gen2 weapons, but also for leg armor and leg trinket).

Can’t say much about PvP (as i got burned out on it due to its legendary backpack farming), but the seasons seem to be more stable now, as the devs no longer experiment with different matchmaking mechanics, and split skill rating from seasonal reward progression.

In PvE, raids are now the endgame with the older vision of more open-ended game seemingly abandoned, but (based on the first area of PoF that we’ve seen recently in a demo weekend and two stress tests) at least open world in PoF seems to be less insistent on forcing players to higher levels of play before they can have fun, like the game did with HoT.

I’m a bit torn on mounts, so i won’t comment on them beyond a warning: from what we’ve heard, they seem to be necessary for at least some parts of the game. At the same time, if you have any kind of motion sickness-related problems, you’d better be very careful about using them.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Game is fine in PvE. Won’t comment on PvP or WvW though. Someone here said the PvE end game is raids. That I categorically disagree with. The only thing you can get in raids you can’t get anywhere else is legendary armor and that has the same stats as ascended armor. T4 Fractals are still end game for many, and making legendary weapons is still an end game for me.

Ascended back pieces have been added to WvW, PvP and Fractals, as evidence that it’s end game content. The fractal backpiece also comes with a fractal glider skin.

The Living Story Season 3 is somewhere between HoT and Season 2 in difficulty. There’s been a new zone with every story The bad news is if you haven’t been logging in you don’t get LS content free. you have to purchase it with gems.

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

The more different things you do in the game, the more enjoyable the game can be imo. As someone who is not in a guild, and HATES pug grouping for small group things (can’t stand seeing elitist kittens insult others over skill level and what not)… I miss out on fractals, dungeons, raids, pvp, and even more organized wvw play. Yet, I still find gw2 has more to offer than any other game I’ve played. And we have PoF coming out.

So yeah, I’d say the game is worth trying again 100%.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

It has its ups and downs as always, and some design decisions have been weird the last few years, but I’d give it a recommendation over all.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

The more different things you do in the game, the more enjoyable the game can be imo. As someone who is not in a guild, and HATES pug grouping for small group things (can’t stand seeing elitist kittens insult others over skill level and what not)… I miss out on fractals, dungeons, raids, pvp, and even more organized wvw play. Yet, I still find gw2 has more to offer than any other game I’ve played. And we have PoF coming out.

So yeah, I’d say the game is worth trying again 100%.

Seems rather your perspective. Elitist != being adaptable to overcome harder content. If your really miss out even lowest level fractals start to work on your playstyle (if you wish to do this content) given you are only missing it out be cause you feel everyone else in a group is elitist.

My opinion to OP’s question: After I burned out with HoT (maxed out and did a legendary after a couple of months) I mostly quit playing and only played sporadically. Though I always logged in for the new story chapters. I also finishded the new legendary trinket Aurora yesterday and for me it was rather fun to do (expect that timegated druid backpack from Draconis Mons…).

The new expansion looks promising and I like mounts so in my opinion they learned from the mistakes with HoT – especially content wise.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

For an OCD event guy like me, game is better than ever. Can’t comment on PvP.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.