How many people will leave for Legion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siena.1940

Siena.1940

With the 800 pound gorilla about to release its expansion and GW2 pretty low on new content. I am wondering how many people will be lost in the next month

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

With the 800 pound gorilla about to release its expansion and GW2 pretty low on new content. I am wondering how many people will be lost in the next month

What’s Legion? On second thought, don’t tell me. It probably won’t have Charr and Asura.

Also, expect a thread that’s not about GW2 to get deleted.

~EW

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Every year the same type of post, every year the same type of answer. Circle of life I guess.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I don’t think anybody here cares about Legion. I can’t even remember the last time I even thought about playing that game.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Why does one have to leave? Are you unable to play both games? Seriously.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

Have no idea what legion is, and low on content? We just got content!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Probably as many that leave when any other new thing is released in the MMO market and they’ll come back just like before.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

But I’m already in the Iron Legion!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Legion is the new WoW expansion right?

Can’t kill asurans or Charr there as far as I know. No thanks.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Not me, I’ll still be here.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

The only way to leave the legion is death….

Oh you mean that other legion. Don’t worry that expansion will have less content than HoT so whoever leaves will be back in 72hrs tops.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

The only thing that’s going to compete for my time in the next couple of week’s is No Man’s Sky. A 50/50 split I reckon.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Never heard of Legion.

I’ve been getting more into Elder Scrolls Online recently (and Pokemon Go!) but then I’ve never played one game at a time anyway, I suspect if I tried to do that I’d get sick of it quickly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I have no idea what Legion is. But I’ve tried several MMOs since 2012 and I always return to GW2 in the end, lol…

Posted by: rozer.8042

rozer.8042

me …. i do everything on gw2 for now 22500 ap … i got all new achi from ls3 part 1 and i play wow until 2 part come out nut only for achi … after hot the game dont have the same feeling for me

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The question is….

How many will leave Legion for Guild Wars 2???

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Everyone: They are referring to World of Warcraft’s most recent expansion.

OP: If you are going to reference another MMO’s expansion, please give more information as to what game you are referring to, as not everyone who plays GW2 is “in the know” about other MMOs.

As much as I have great memories from the good-old-days of WoW, I probably will never return due to not having the free time to justify paying subscription fees. I still have a starter edition (you are capped at level 20) if I ever want to mess around in WoW again, though. GW2, while not perfect, is still the best MMO for me right now due to how easy it is to play, and how I can waste hours just doing PvE stuff. =)

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Everyone: They are referring to World of Warcraft’s most recent expansion.

Ohhhhhhhhh. Yeah, not doing that.

The best stuff they could possibly have in it would be taken from GW2. Also, I was right: no Charr or Asura.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of this bad news, but y’all are stuck with me for the foreseeable future.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’ll be playing Legion, but I’ll still be playing GW2, as well. Sooo . . .

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Who plays that trash game anyways

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Yeah, I played WoW a total of one day, and never went back. Too much like the MMOs that came before; sure, it may have done a BETTER job of doing what those others did, but still…. I played Everquest until my eyes bled, and got burned out on it, played some others that were basically clones and, for all intents, WoW might as well have been the same game (better technology but essentially same play experience.)

It’s why I love GW1 and GW2 SOOO much! Its so different than any other MMO I played. It IS kinda getting a little stale, but I’ve been playing it with only one short break since beta (I skipped out for a bit during the aetherblade stuff and the dragon festival of the time… ah well…)

I imagine there will come a time for me to leave, but that will depend on either my hitting max burnout, or another game comes out that finally offers more, in a style I like. That hasn’t happened since beta Guild Wars 1, much less GW2.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve been reading the WoW forum. They have great new content!!!

• Many classes have been pruned down to 3 or 4 skills! No more skill bloat!
  • They added sharding. (Sharding is when the game sees the population of a map has increased and it moves players to a new map instance or “shard” whether they want to go or not).
  • With sharding you could be on your PvE server shard and get moved to a PvP server shard. Think of the fun! Instant death for you if you land in a group of hostiles.
  • You’ll be fighting a mob or doing an event and you’ll suddenly be moved off to another map shard and get to do it all over again. It’s especially amusing when you’re moved to a shard filled with mobs that you’ve just killed, and they all swarm you when you appear and kill you!
  • you can’t group, because members of your group are randomly phasing from map shard to map shard
  • complain about it on their bug forum? You’ll be sent to a thread in the general discussion forum to “say what you dislike about it.”
  • and more!!

(Some sarcasm was brutally murdered with this post)

I think I’ll stay here. Thanks though.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Not me. WoW is boring to me. I tried the free trial and it felt so clumsy and sluggish compared to GW2.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

• They added sharding. (Sharding is when the game sees the population of a map has increased and it moves players to a new map instance, whether they want to go or not).
  • With sharding you could be on your PvE server shard and get moved to a PvP server shard. Think of the fun! Instant death for you if you land in a group of hostiles.
  • You’ll be fighting a mob or doing an event and you’ll suddenly be moved off to another map shard and get to do it all over again. It’s especially amusing when your moved to a shard filled with mobs that you’ve just killed, and they all swarm you when you appear and kill you!
  • you can’t group, because members of your group are randomly phasing from map shard to map shard
  • complain about it on their bug forum? You be sent to a thread to say what you “dislike about it.”
  • and more!!

(Some sarcasm was brutally murdered with this post)

I think I’ll stay here. Thanks though.

Ummm… is there any way that ANet can contract with Blizzard solely so that when someone gets a GW2 suspension they’re forced to play WoW?

~EW

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Not me. WoW is boring to me. I tried the free trial and it felt so clumsy and sluggish compared to GW2.

And the cartoonish graphics suck compared to GW2 IMO

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Its a serious question, an i have a serious answer:

I was a WoW player for over the last 12 years, on and off. I love the lore, and i loved the game, but i moved on. In terms of sheer quality, WoW and FFXIV own this market. They are the best at the ‘stand in place to fight’ MMO. No questions asked. All around, great games.

However, nothing compares to the combat that one finds in GW2. Sure, ALOT could be done to fix this game, but in terms of sheer gameplay, no matter what Blizzard throws out there, its just not worth looking at a new xpac, with the same old combat that has aged terribly over the years. So no, i will be passing on Legion. I’ve seriously tried to get back into it, but i just couldn’t handle how boring it is anymore.

Now, if Blizzard reinvents WoW, to be more like GW2’s combat and stats system, and make it better…well, we all wouldn’t be discussing this on a GW2 forum. Thankfully, it’ll never come to that, and we can continue to enjoy GW2 and expect great things from Arena Net.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Why can’t people play both? Gw2 is b2p so I don’t see the big deal.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I play WoW like 1 time each month. In a table. With dice. Using D&D 5th edition rules .
That’s it.

When I tried to play it in the computer I got a gigantic attack of acute boredom fever hte third day. I don’t like to feel sick when I’m playing in the PC, so I’ve never tried again.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Wuuut? No. Unless the two or three classes I don’t play are exceptions, no class I’ve played since the pre-patch has been whittled down to less than a handful of skills. And there’s definitely still enough to be considered a skill bloat. :p

As for the rest . . . luckily, phasing hasn’t affected me at all yet. I hope it stays that way. Bugs, though, are definitely rampant (as is typical with games).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Honestly now, the answer is as many who need a change of pace and were also WoW players buying time in GW2.

The reality of MMOs is you can’t keep players playing your game 100% of the time. It’s sort of pointless to try to counter program updates of existing MMOs against launches or major updates in other MMOs to hold onto players. It’s like network TV putting all the SciFi or Superhero shows on opposite one another and thus splitting the live audience so no show does spectacularly well.

And other than true sandbox MMOs like EVE, content can’t be generated fast enough for those players who chew threw it the quickest, so of course they could wander away until there’s something new.

But in the end it’s acceptable loses and doesn’t matter as much with a game without a subscription fee.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

A lot of people will play both. GW2 is carried by good action combat gameplay running on a fairly decent engine. It’s a beautiful game with beautiful character models. WoW on the other hand have the content many MMO gamers look for, that carrot on a stick with loot to obtain, upgrades to get, raids to do, dungeons to run, and their newly revamped transmog system is pretty darn awesome. WoW’s arena is also more esports worthy than GW2’s sPvP, and their BG’s are more balanced and faster paced than GW2’s forever unbalanced WvW.

While WoW’s combat isn’t action based, it is more complex on a mathematical scale. They have add-ons that’ll give you more details you could ever hope for. Details on what skills did how much damage during a raid or BG run. Details on how often certain skills proc’ed, how much each skills healed you for, how much you received heals from others, etc.. These details mean a lot to gamers and they get players more thralled into their games as they tweak talents and such. Only if WoW could ever go action combat like GW2’s combat…that’ll be the day.

GW2’s action combat is great, I feel it’s the one thing keeping this game up there at the moment. But I just wish Anet would give us more stats and detailed info on our combat abilities like many other games already do. Number crunching can be fun as you try to progress and improve your characters.

Pros and cons to both games, there will be plenty of people that’ll play both games and hop back & forth.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Never heard of it.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Never heard of it.

Same. I don’t WoW.

Posted by: Torzini.1523

Torzini.1523

Never heard of it.

Same. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

More importantly, all my charr characters are already in legions, pff.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Never heard of it.

Same. I don’t WoW.

Me neither.

I remember in the old days of Guild Wars 1 where random people would pop up in All Chat saying how World of Warcraft was soooo much better than Guild Wars, which was usually met with “Then why are you here?” comments.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Never heard of it.

Same. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

More importantly, all my charr characters are already in legions, pff.

This.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wuuut? No. Unless the two or three classes I don’t play are exceptions, no class I’ve played since the pre-patch has been whittled down to less than a handful of skills. And there’s definitely still enough to be considered a skill bloat. :p

As for the rest . . . luckily, phasing hasn’t affected me at all yet. I hope it stays that way. Bugs, though, are definitely rampant (as is typical with games).

Sorry Rose. You have to be mistaken about the skills. Why, I read it on the their forum….. somewhere….once…..which means it’s forum poster certified, 100% truth! :>

The rest is hopefully bugs. However if I played WoW I’d be concerned. They moved the thread reporting all those phasing problems with groups, doing quests, killing mobs, landing in a PvP map, etc from the bug forum to the general discussion forum for people to say “what they dislike about it.” Which sounds to me like it will be tweaked and some bugs fixed, but the essentials of moving players without their permission from shard to shard according to fluctuations in the map population will be kept.

I have to admit, reading that thread was interesting. People reported standing in one place with crowds of players randomly appearing and disappearing around them. One poster reported he was waiting for a boss to appear. Suddenly it appeared in front of him with a huge crowd of people attacking it. Then everyone including the boss disappeared, leaving him standing there all alone again. People report that one minute they are one spot in PvE and then suddenly they are in PvP, surrounded by members of the opposite faction. (That one doesn’t end well). It all sounds like something out of a bad dream rather than the release of a polished feature of a major MMO.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I remember in the old days of Guild Wars 1 where random people would pop up in All Chat saying how World of Warcraft was soooo much better than Guild Wars, which was usually met with “Then why are you here?” comments.

There has been some evidence that large game companies send hired trolls to cause trouble in other games, though that was in Asian markets where I guess competition is pretty intense and the “whales” there spend more on in-game items than most people do on their cars in the US.

I’m sure Blizzard would never do something like that, even if their subscriptions have been down 50% or more in recent years compared to their high water mark of 12 million or so.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

I will be playing both.

WoW in the morning and early afternoon when my guildmates are at work.

GW2 in the evening when they are home.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There was a time I would have said there was no danger, because the games don’t even appeal to the same audience.

But then they added one of the worst gear grinds found in a western MMO, and paid for powercreep in PvP, and then the unholy trinity and raiding content. Refused to even make an attempt at class balance, or fix the stat and dodge systems to give the game any build diversity.

And now I say, there is still no danger, because you can’t lose, what you don’t have; and they’ve already lost every audience they ever aimed for.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

How many people left for Blade & Soul when it was released to the west? Not enough to make a difference. In fact, some of them came back and said it wasn’t all it was hyped up to be.

I imagine it will be the same with this new game. To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this new game.

Isn’t it against the forum rules to discuss other games here?

Just in case, in before the lock.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

• complain about it on their bug forum? You’ll be sent to a thread in the general discussion forum to “say what you dislike about it.”

At least they actually respond somehow.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

At least they actually respond somehow.

You can find the exact same response here, from just a few days ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lwd/Homing-Rocks/first#post6261414

I’ve no idea if either of the scenarios, here or there, are bugs or not, but evidently responses were made in both cases.

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

Not sure why ppl have to LEAVE GW2 to play a WoW expansion; let alone the comparison aside from both being in unique fantasy worlds with great lore; a few shared class names the games are vastly different. Whatever issues peeps have with GW2; imo it is so much better with class dynamics, world, groups, quests, even PvP. Completely different types of games and audience. WoW will always be more “main stream”.

My guild mains SWTOR; and it’s closer to WoW; but vastly better and it has lots of issues. I see former WoW players trying new games/MMOs all over much more than other MMO gamers trying WoW to be a replacement MMO like not even close. I’m sure former WoW players may check it for the story; I get that I always enjoyed WoW’s lore it is strong there but, everything else wise yeahhh I’ll read about it.

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I like these threads. To think the latest expansion for a tired MMO has the clout to knock GW2 out … even though the existence of said tired MMO and all it’s expansions wasn’t enough to do that in the first place.

Go play legion … realize you’re paying a sub for the same content Blizzard has been feeding you for a decade, just with different names. Then remember what the appeal of GW2 was and why you left WOW to play it in the first place.

You don’t actually leave GW2 anyways … you’re not paying a sub to be here. Log in as many or as little as you want; Anet already got your cash once. Their model is pretty smart.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I didn’t know what this was when it was posted. I’m glad that got cleared up for me.

It was bugging me all day.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

while i do hunger for a new mmo with slow grindy progression and non cosmetic rewards like the good ol days…wow is no longer that mmo

i recently gave oldschool runescape a try and can confirm its more fun than gw2

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

The denial of some people in here…

They are going to be extremely hurt in their lifetime.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Unless I can play it at a Pokestop, I’ll pass.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.