How many will continue playing after 11/13?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Odjin.8530

Odjin.8530

Rift’s first expansion releases on November 13 and with Trion’s (the devs) track record I can only assume it will be awesome. The reason I bring this up now is that it seems GW2 is having early trouble with approval rating. I just wonder how many of us Rifter’s (those who have already invested in vanilla Rift) will leave once the Storm Legion expansion is out.

I personally like GW2’s fresh approach to the mmo genre and its alot of fun to play. However, with the current bugs and negative feedback its getting on the interwebs I just wonder if its worth playing when it cannot possibly compete with Rift’s dungeons, raids, battlegrounds/warfronts (debatable), armor design, boss/mob design, addons, mounts, gear stats, holy trinity (yes, I said it), dynamic events on a much larger scale, character spec flexibility, pve and pvp factions, ENDGAME, and much more…. The most appreciated thing about the game has got to be Trion. They just rock and with Storm Legion we will see player housing, more class types, more raids, and a world that is triple the size of what it is currently.

To be fair I realize GW2 is new and hasnt been expanded yet so I will point out some advantages of GW2 over the current version of Rift. I really believe GW2 has better music and sound fx (debatable), questing is very “convenient”, better exploration, character model design (un-geared/naked), mob AI (artificial intelligence), travel system (debatable), slightly better crafting system, better dye system, crafting mats collection, and I’d have to say I really like the cities especially Divinity’s Reach. The only non-debatable advantage is the Sub vs. F2P model. I know, I know; apples and oranges but free is always good

As far as GW2’s WvW, I think that’s where GW2 can thrive. Rift pvp is great and with the recent addition of Conquest (3 faction open world-like pvp) some love it, some hate it but Trion has captured the feel of massive pvp. If and when the ques are more manageable I believe that WvW pvp will be potentially better than Conquest and will continue to create and maintain a fanbase. This month will be the true determining factor for me whether to continue playing or shelve it right beside Swtor and Tera.

Posted by: deltasniper.1659

deltasniper.1659

People still play rift?

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I hope the expansion is hugely successful for them. I don’t like how Trion makes constant and drastic changes to the game in a (futile) attempt to please everyone, but there’s really no denying how hard they bust their butts on that game. I wish ‘em the best, even though I’m never going back to Rift.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Knuckledust.5621

Knuckledust.5621

After loggin in Rift last week I noticed more people there than in GW2. Perhaps most players ran out of things to do in here and returned to Rift so they can experience being rewarded for their time spent..

Posted by: deltasniper.1659

deltasniper.1659

Never again will i go back to a sub based game.

Posted by: Drake Brimstone.3706

Drake Brimstone.3706

I know I got board with it after a couple months of everything just being the same thing at a higher level. Sure some people will leave for a while for Rift with the expantion, just like I’m sure some left for WOWs expation. Many will return shortly when they see its just more of the same.

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

I bought the CE when it came out. It got boring real fast.

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

GW2 was created for people who are done with traditional MMOs and monthly fees forever.
For sure this kind of audience will not care about any traditional MMO and their expansions.

At best we will lose those traditional MMO players who expected GW2 to be another traditional MMO, no big deal.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

In before the lock but – I really liked Rift but didn’t have time to play when it was released, so it’s the MMO that got away for me.

With any online game, there’s a big benefit to being one of the people who was there from the beginning, so I plan to stick with GW2 at least part time over the next … well, whenever, why would “unsubsccribe” when it’s free?

There is plenty of room in the genre for both Rift and GW to thrive, and the intricate character-building of Rift is a real plus for the kind of player that loves theory-crafting.

Posted by: Ryner.6895

Ryner.6895

The only sub worthy game I would ever go back to eve online. F2p or b2p is the future.

Please add in pve pk. Ty xoxoxoxo
ET – Heavens Blades

Posted by: Jalliah.7862

Jalliah.7862

I won’t be leaving here for Rift. I play both right now so can’t see that changing. I likely won’t log in here as much for a while when the expac hits buts that’s the same with any other game.

For me I’ve personally never understood the idea of only playing one game at a time anyways. Especially when a game like this doesn’t have a sub.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Not me. I got tired of the Rift grind for currencies. I was also turned off by the massive nerf batting; not cool for a subscription-based game. Too much like WoW. But I have to say Trion did an incredible job on the game’s UI and are amazingly responsive to the player base.

(edited by pdg.8462)

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I don’t even take other MMO makers seriously TBH. ANet does everything the way I like.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I would comment on this, but it’ll be locked too soon to be worth saying anything.

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

I stopped playing Rift when I realised I was never logging in except for raid times and that really didn’t feel like I was getting my 15 bucks per month worth. Even though I was in a top raiding guild on the server and we were literally a week away from doing a server first on Akylios and i was getting better geared every day I just stopped caring.

A lot of the things that the OP mentions is quite subjective tbh. For example the armor/mob design and the whole look of the game never really appealed to me, in fact I always felt like it was it’s weak point. Only rifts themselves looked kinda cool.

Also, Trion may be popular now but their forum feedback from back then was just as bad as it is here now. Also why is everyone saying Anet is slow at fixing the game? It’s like people forgot all the bugs that have already been fixed. People are acting like there hasn’t been a patch since launch.

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

I would comment on this, but it’ll be locked too soon to be worth saying anything.

But it was worth writing that post?

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

If it didn’t have a sub, no I’d still have to buy the expansion. Stopped playing at the first round of sweeping and drastic changes. May be better now but I don’t care.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Never bothered with rift, so uh no. I’m not a fan of Sub Fees.

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

I wish trion and Rift all the best, but sub based games are going out the door sharpish.

if other mmo’s of high quality like Gw2 go free to play as well then those sub based mmo’s are in for a bad day.

Eve is by all accounts one of the only games that would sail through such a shift due to the dedicated player base and methods of payment already in game.

Posted by: Moderator

This forum is for Guild Wars 2 discussion. This forum is not to discuss the new Rift expansion.