How much have you paid to play Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Do I count the cost of my new computer? I also buy gems monthly at roughly the rate of a subscription service, maybe a little more.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

0$

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Far, far too much. No idea exact figures, but definitely hundreds, maybe a thousand? I’d be terrified if it were more … Do I regret any of it? No, because I’ve never been forced into buying anything I didn’t already want to, and I love everything I’ve bought so far. I’ve no doubt I will spend far, far more on this game. That very thought makes me blanch a little!

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Only purchased the game, that’s it for me.

I’m glad to see you all spending way more than me though and therefore supporting the game… (for me as well) :P

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

The only thing I have payed for is the game itself (pre-purchase Collectors Edition).

I will not buy gems for real money… I earn gold in different ways and buy gems for in-game gold instead.

Kima & Co

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Bought the game: $60
Bought gems: $50-$60 since early launch

Game was definitely worth it
Gems were worth it cuz I bought a set of the neverending gathering tools (convenient!) and a few extra here & there. Seriously considering the new armor sets now.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

Nothing, I got it as a birthday gift since the game was released shortly before my birthday.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

There’s a sort of pride that people who don’t buy gems have. That’s odd. I buy gems and am proud to support them. :p

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

3 Character slots (some were on sale).
3 Bank tabs (I think one was on sale).
1 Unlimited Axe

I also bought a second copy that I gifted to a friend for his birthday, not sure it that counts though.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Insignya.8625

Insignya.8625

Exactly zero. Matches the commitment of the devs toward this title.

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

150€ for CE, 50€ for character slot and about another 50€ for bank/inventory slots or cosmetics stuff.
Really worth it for me.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

60$, that’s it.
I’ve converted my in game money to around 4000+ Gems though.

I rather grind than buy virtual gems.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

There’s a sort of pride that people who don’t buy gems have. That’s odd. I buy gems and am proud to support them. :p

If you keep it to yourself that’s okay but there are some people who think that they should be treated differently.
They usually start suggestions with sentences like “Hey a.net I love your game and I have spent like 100€ already on it but I think I would spend even more if you add x or y”

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Would be nice if they gave people who spent a fixed # of $ since release some special item

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini
$301-$500 – chrome legendary dye
$501-$700 – unique armor set
$701-$1000 – unique weapon set
+$1000 – Character star, title, and other awesome and unique item. Maybe a portal stone that ports you to “The Lounge” where you can mingle with other ballers :P

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Would be nice if they gave people who spent a fixed # of $ since release some special item

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini
+$1000 – Character star, title, and other awesome and unique item. Maybe a portal stone that ports you to “The Lounge” where you can mingle with other ballers :P

No. Stop.        

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

£30 on the game, about £18 on gems since launch. I tend to have enough gold to just buy gems in-game so never felt the need to spend much real money on them. I think I’ve gotten fantastic value overall so far.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I’d be one of the first to buy the Cantha Expansion though.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

I’ve bought 2 lots of 800 gems so far (bank space, level 80 transmute crystals, bear hat), and preordered the regular version of the game, but that’s it. I try to keep my purchases to things I feel will really affect my ‘quality of life’ in the game and seem worth the price (or are bear-related.)

I was very tempted by the permanent harvesting tools and some of the instruments but decided against them in the end. I reckon it’s decent value for money given I’ve been playing for nearly a year now.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I’m around 150€, at this point I spend all my gold in gems, so I don’t see myself buying more gems with money in the near future…

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’ve bought 2 lots of 800 gems so far (bank space, level 80 transmute crystals, bear hat), and preordered the regular version of the game, but that’s it. I try to keep my purchases to things I feel will really affect my ‘quality of life’ in the game and seem worth the price (or are bear-related.)

I was very tempted by the permanent harvesting tools and some of the instruments but decided against them in the end. I reckon it’s decent value for money given I’ve been playing for nearly a year now.

I only bought the axe because, like you, I was conflicted on the tools when they first came out.

It is hands down the best item my character owns.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am really angry with myself that I only bought the tools for one character (missed the pick entirely)- to me it has been one of the best quality of life buys I have made

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Aargh! Sounds like I have made a bad decision then. >.<

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I bought enough character slots to have 1 of each class. So like $30 toward gems?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini

Hey I wouldn’t mind but there is a big problem with that idea. Look at the thank you gifts they have given to people a few times if they even if they spent $10 on gems. It was a very nice thank you and I enjoyed it. However each time people started running around with their heads exploding over it. Just imagine your idea. It would turn in a global thermal nuclear war around here.

The Burninator

CrossedHorse.4261

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini

Hey I wouldn’t mind but there is a big problem with that idea. Look at the thank you gifts they have given to people a few times if they even if they spent $10 on gems. It was a very nice thank you and I enjoyed it. However each time people started running around with their heads exploding over it. Just imagine your idea. It would turn in a global thermal nuclear war around here.

^Agreed. There’d be fireworks. Though people will get over it eventually, they always do.

My only concern about this idea (easily overcome by free stuff, hehe) is that the title/skins etc would basically say “Look I spend a lot of money on this”, and I tend to avoid flashy things in life for that very reason. People flashing cash about isn’t very attractive.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini

Might be fun to watch from The Lounge, though.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Vol.5241

$100 in gems – title
$101-$300 – mini

Well the people who complained about it are the same people that would complain if Anet gave everyone a precursor – they’d kitten and ask “how about more?”

Rewards are fine as long as they are not expected. There’s a difference between “Buy X and get Y” as opposed to “Hey you bought X, here’s a gift of Y as a token of appreciation”

I most certainly didn’t pay $+1000 on this game expecting to be rewarded with unique gifts. Would I welcome it? Absolutely.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

60$ for the game itself then 90$ on gems. So roughly $8 p/month, although my purchases haven’t been spaced out monthly. Sure it’s worth it; I enjoy the game, and it’s not breaking my bank account.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

JustTrogdor.7892

Laugh of the day. Thank you.

Would I welcome it? Absolutely.

As a frequent gem buyer I would too. I’d just have to stop reading these forums.
For at least the next year.

The Burninator

Vol.5241

Laugh of the day. Thank you.

Would I welcome it? Absolutely.

As a frequent gem buyer I would too. I’d just have to stop reading these forums.
For at least the next year.

Or as one of the perks of buying a set # of gems, we get our own private subforum where we can discuss market manipulation and help the rich get richer :P

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Oh my. Collector’s Edition for myself, digi-deluxes (2) for the kids… lots of gems… meh… hundreds easily. (If ANet wishes to post an exact figure for me I give permission.) What’s the point in counting though? Am I still having a blast? Hell yeah, and it’s only getting better.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I actually checked and tabulated all the gem mails.
$690 gem store + $69 (i think) for collectors edition.

Yeah I fail…. Was it worth it, I don’t know, cause I’m shocked at the number.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I’ve spent about $40 buying gems for character slots and bank expansions. I’ll probably spend more because I like the system. What I mean is that with subscriptions games you pay for whatever content they release and you get the same as everyone else. Here I can choose to pay as much or as little as I like and when I do pay I am paying for things I want like bank slots, or armor skins or even some gold if I am a few short to buy something I really want.

More companies should adopt this policy, not the pay to win stores a lot of free MMO’s have.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

How much did the game cost? That much. Thats it. Got 9 character slots and a second bank tab though. Yay gold for gems.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Since beta I have spent about $300 on the game and gems. To me this seems a very good value if you consider I spend more than 8/h a day online. I have done the gold/gem route also, but I like to support a game that IMO works hard for it’s players.

Rhaps.8540

Not criticising anyone’s buying decisions but those of you who spend hundreds of dollars, $300-600+, what are you buying with all that? I’m not sure I’d find enough stuff worth purchasing in the gemstore to spend that amount if I tried. I’m just curious.

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I’ve bought a couple of character slots (I want one of each class), the infinite axe and the infinite pick (I missed the infinite sickle).

Nothing else in the store has interested me.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Vol.5241

Not criticising anyone’s buying decisions but those of you who spend hundreds of dollars, $300-600+, what are you buying with all that? I’m not sure I’d find enough stuff worth purchasing in the gemstore to spend that amount if I tried. I’m just curious.

Buy gems to convert to gold. Helps achieve an item (i.e. a legendary) especially if you are only 100-200g off from finishing it.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

$60 on game, and that’s about it.

I’ve converted some gold to gems for transmutation crystals and was thinking of a new bank tab, but since I just got 3 80’s (one of them just turned 80 yesterday) and a low level engineer I’m thinking of deleting for an elementalist, so I just settled for creating a new char and keep it as a banking mule for the time being, ended up spending most of the gems on aetherboxes caches to complete getting the aetherized helm for my guardian and some tranmutation crystals for my new 80 look.

Now, I’d love to support Anet with some extra gems (well, personally I think purchasing gold to gems do that to a point, someone did pay for those gems at one point and wouldn’t have if they couldn’t sell them), but being in Venezuela means I’m extremely limited (as in, 400$ a year limited) on how much I can spend online.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Rhaps.8540

Buy gems to convert to gold. Helps achieve an item (i.e. a legendary) especially if you are only 100-200g off from finishing it.

Ah of course, I forgot about exchanging gems back for gold. That makes more sense, thanks.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

75€ X2 to aquire game for 2 players, plus some 50€ gem’s cards and others from 20€-30€ dont want to sum it all, since i had cancelled some VPS server i had some cashflow to spare here.
This were to be the only game i were suposed to play but game turned to get borked enought over time.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

CrossedHorse.4261

I convert some to gold to help out (never seem to have enough on my chars and I make a lot of alts). I buy skins, mostly, but I’ve also bought makeover kits, dye packs (not any more as they don’t give a very good return), lots of character and bank slots, the odd mini pack etc. I think most of it has gone on character slots, skins and converting to gold for stuff I want from the TP, however. Recently, I spent a bunch on the keys … learned my lesson there, so not doing that anymore.

Oh, and I also occasionally feel generous and buy something for someone who can’t afford it. Often in map chat there are people discussing trying to get gold for some particular item they really, really want. And sometimes I’ll offer to get it for them (not very much, and not if they outright just ask people to buy it for them – I’ll pick people I think deserve a surprise gift).

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hmmm…. let’s see

I bought 2 copies of the game….
I bought 2 of each of the infinite harvesting tools…
I’ve bought (I think) 2 bank tabs with cash purchased gems….
Can’t recall if I bought the 2 char spots with gold or cash…
Planning on buying at least 3 armor skins…

shrug

I’ve spent a bit across 2 accounts, doesn’t bother me. I have $50 in my monthly budget for games. Gives me plenty of freedom when I want something….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Just the $ for the box, and it has indeed been worth it.

JustTrogdor.7892

Character slots, bank slots, bag slots, armor skins, infinite harvesting tools, name change contracts, total makeover kits, transmutation stones, other odds and ends and my favorite the new ability to send gems store items as gifts. I like to spread a little cheer every now and then if I know someone is having a bad day.

The Burninator

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I can tell you right now that I’ve paid far more in gems playing this game than I ever would have for a sub game lol.

I miss sub games =D

Still, it’s a good system, I suppose. It’s not like I get nothing for it- I get rewarded for my money. And on top of that, it creates something of a techno-socialism. I pay more because I can, and that in turn allows people who can’t pay anything to not have to. It opens the MMO up to many people who don’t have the ability to pay a subscription, and I like that.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Bag slots for a massive number of toons lol

Posted by: direpath.4712

direpath.4712

Box price so far. I could see myself spending on some gems to get more bank space, maybe a skin or two.

I’m torn though as I only use my personal spending money on stuff like this and my limited amount left from my last birthday makes me have to pick and choose between gems or GW1 so I can unlock the Heritage skins.

Kali Verholme -Ezra Sarona – Sigaard Wolfson – Jumi Sprigleaf
Legacy of Elijah (LoE) – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

probably in the $3-400 (maybe even 500, now that I think about it) range (after buying the collectors edition). Only buy things that are guaranteed. Think I only bought keys once in, due to Halloween, but learned my lesson there. I think I then did buy a set of dragon coffers just to see if the drop was better (which of course it wasn’t, should have just waited and searched forum first).

Bag slots for a massive number of toons lol

Lets see: maxed bank slots, up to 10 (maybe 11) characters (so 5/6 char slots), each of the unlimited (I think I bought 2 of each), a few of the skins (like Braham/Rox weapons and a few of the outfits)

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Pre-Ordered deluxe box

I’m still waiting for something worth spending money on (Braham almost made it but the helm bug removing the beard was bad enough not to get it).

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.