How much have you paid to play Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Holy crow. So many people spending hundreds. This is why those who want quality gameplay are out of luck with GW2…and ArenaNet are laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Holy crow. So many people spending hundreds. This is why those who want quality gameplay are out of luck with GW2…and ArenaNet are laughing all the way to the bank.

I’d imagine that those who spend that much on the game are few and far between, though. There are probably just as many players who spend little to none on it as well.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I’d imagine that those who spend that much on the game are few and far between, though. There are probably just as many (likely more) players who spend little to none on it as well.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

$59.99 + $70, not as much as GW1 yet but there are a few years to go …

Either they know exactly what they are paying for or they have enough money that they don’t have to care.

Other people have problems that have nothing to do with the game and those should probably seek professional help before things get out of hand if they haven’t already.

Chuo.4238

$59.99 + $70, not as much as GW1 yet but there are a few years to go …

Either they know exactly what they are paying for or they have enough money that they don’t have to care.

Other people have problems that have nothing to do with the game and those should probably seek professional help before things get out of hand if they haven’t already.

Didn’t mean to come across as being judgmental on those spending money. It’s none of my business what people do with their own money. I was thinking that this explains a thing or three about ArenaNet’s behavior since GW2 launched…

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I think the post’s name is a little misleading. Because technically, since I paid for the game itself, I haven’t had to pay anything to play.

I have, however, chosen to spend money and I’ve spent a few hundred since launch on gems for bank slots, char slots, armor skins, whatevs … but for me, that’s money that would have otherwise gone towards bar-tabs, cab rides, and potentially bail money if i was a bar-hopper. Or perhaps it would have been a few hundred on a new set of clubs and some fancy checkered pants if golf was my thing. Or a few hundred on a new pole, some lures, bait, fishing license, etc., if that’s how I opted to spend my free time.

I don’t regret the money I’ve chucked into the gemstore because I enjoy the time i spend in-game. If I didn’t, I’d be slugging down 40 ouncers on my bass boat while pegging line drives into the trees on shore with my shiny new five iron.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

(edited by mojowalker.3798)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I actually bought Guild Wars 2 for 30 dollars off of Ebay, and I haven’t spent a single penny beyond that amount, and I definitely won’t. I regret paying as much as I did for this game, and I feel terrible for those of you who spent the entire 60 dollars.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I actually bought Guild Wars 2 for 30 dollars off of Ebay, and I haven’t spent a single penny beyond that amount, and I definitely won’t. I regret paying as much as I did for this game, and I feel terrible for those of you who spent the entire 60 dollars.

Don’t be, we’re having a lot of fun (at least I am)..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Don’t worry that person just likes to fly in and say how much they hate GW2 every so often. They forgot to mention how they play RIFT instead. They usually toss that in as well.

The Burninator

Posted by: Amria.2461

Amria.2461

$50 and it was absolutely worth it.

Honestly though, with the amount of time I’ve put into this game, I could have easily bought everything I ever wanted out of the gem shop with gold. If I wasn’t so lazy.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Don’t worry that person just likes to fly in and say how much they hate GW2 every so often. They forgot to mention how they play RIFT instead. They usually toss that in as well.

I don’t hate GW2. I like it, but it just doesn’t have enough to keep my attention. I regret paying 30 dollars because I don’t think it was worth it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad game. I do play Rift because I believe that Rift completed Anet’s manifesto better than Guild Wars 2 did.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I don’t hate GW2. I like it, but it just doesn’t have enough to keep my attention. I regret paying 30 dollars because I don’t think it was worth it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad game. I do play Rift because I believe that Rift completed Anet’s manifesto better than Guild Wars 2 did.

You’re entirely in your right to regret spending $30 on the game, heck, I’d even say you’re entirely entitled to hate the game in the first place. I do have lots of games I regret having bought (even a couple considered at their time as “game of the year”) because they just weren’t for me. What I mean is to stop feeling terrible for those of us that paid full price, because lots of us (won’t say most because I can’t know for sure but feels that way with people I’m in contact with) feel we got even more of our money’s worth and don’t regret a cent we’ve spent on it.

BTW, have fun on rift, it’s really an excellent game, I played it for about a year but left mostly because I reached the point where there was really nothing left to do but raid, which is something I can’t really do anymore..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I bought the game and haven’t paid a cent ever since. I’m shocked how much and how MANY of you guys throw money at the game.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I bought the Digital Deluxe edition during pre-purchase for about £50 (I don’t remember the exact price) and last time I worked it out I’d spent £46 on gems on top of that. Maybe a little more now.

Was it worth it? Of course, otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. Admittedly buying the game on pre-purchase was a bit of a gamble but I felt like I had a good idea what I was going to get and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the game so far. Even if I stopped playing today I think I’ve gotten a very good deal, especially compared to most other things I could have spent that money on.

I’m also not one of the people who buys gems just for the sake of it. I only buy them when there’s something specific I want, so each time I work out the real-money cost of that item, think about what else I could do with that money and decide if it’s worth it. If it isn’t then I don’t get it.

(I also don’t think of buying gems as paying to play the game since everything you can buy is cosmetic or convenience items.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Chuo.4238

I bought the game and haven’t paid a cent ever since. I’m shocked how much and how MANY of you guys throw money at the game.

Yea that’s exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I don’t really care what people do with their own money.

It just really crystallized why ArenaNet gets away with ignoring such large chunks of the community. As long as enough people are throwing hundreds into the game, those few are the only ones they really care to cater to.

I’m starting to think that F2P with microtransactions has killed MMO’s for me. I don’t like any of them. There’s just no saving Guild Wars 2 while this kind of thing is going on. If they got rid of the real money —> gems --> ingame gold thing…but yea. They won’t.

This blows. The very same reasons why goldsellers ruin games has been allowed in GW2. There is no level playing field if people can buy gold with real money.

Skins and other shiny items are fine…but since people can buy gold…

…and since the RNG in this game seems to be a big fat neon sign saying “just buy gold and get your precursor that way.”

I think any hope of ever having fun in GW2 is shot. This is the closest I’ve come to actually contemplating an uninstall. Gonna have to sleep on this one…

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Not criticising anyone’s buying decisions but those of you who spend hundreds of dollars, $300-600+, what are you buying with all that? I’m not sure I’d find enough stuff worth purchasing in the gemstore to spend that amount if I tried. I’m just curious.

Inventory and banks space, skins/stuff in the gems store, minis, at least $150 on RNG boxes and BL keys and about $100 ~ $150 to buy gold. It when really fast. Been here since head start.

Kitten that RNG =S

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

Posted by: Kurakura.7281

Kurakura.7281

You guys got nothin on some of the people that play korean MMO’s. I know of a few people that have spent over $40,000 on their equivalent of Gems. Yes 40,000! you can buy a nice car with that money!

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I’d rather not talk about it…

Rng boxes?

Amun Ra.6435

You guys got nothin on some of the people that play korean MMO’s. I know of a few people that have spent over $40,000 on their equivalent of Gems. Yes 40,000! you can buy a nice car with that money!

Probably 40,000 yen…that’s like 50 cents U.S. or something :-P

Amun Ra.6435

Well I have spent probably $200-300. Adds up quick so not quite sure. Haven’t spent a dime since all the farming nerfs. I was willing to supplement my farming with gem-to-gold conversions…but am sure as hell not going to replace it.

Posted by: Kurakura.7281

Kurakura.7281

Probably 40,000 yen…that’s like 50 cents U.S. or something :-P

No its actual american dollars… I know one of them is a filthy rich trust fund kid, and insanely obnoxious too!

40,000 Yen would still be 400$.

Posted by: Insignya.8625

Insignya.8625

I’m glad people are spending so much money. It means Arena.NET can fund an actual good game.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Yea that’s exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I don’t really care what people do with their own money.

It just really crystallized why ArenaNet gets away with ignoring such large chunks of the community. As long as enough people are throwing hundreds into the game, those few are the only ones they really care to cater to.

I’m starting to think that F2P with microtransactions has killed MMO’s for me. I don’t like any of them. There’s just no saving Guild Wars 2 while this kind of thing is going on. If they got rid of the real money —> gems --> ingame gold thing…but yea. They won’t.

This blows. The very same reasons why goldsellers ruin games has been allowed in GW2. There is no level playing field if people can buy gold with real money.

…and since the RNG in this game seems to be a big fat neon sign saying “just buy gold and get your precursor that way.”

I think any hope of ever having fun in GW2 is shot. This is the closest I’ve come to actually contemplating an uninstall. Gonna have to sleep on this one…

So you don’t care how people spend their money but then you’re contemplating going to the extent of uninstalling (proving what?) because of how people spend their money. Quite a conundrum for you. There’s no pay to win in this game as far as I’ve seen so where’s the problem?

Or is it your “thing”?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I’d rather not talk about it…

lol

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Only $50 retail for the game back last December. Spent nothing more since. And the game was on sale at the time.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Khisanth.2948

What advantage can anyone buy with gold or gems? You are making accusations without even trying to back it up. Legendaries do no offer better stats.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Legendaries are just exotic weapons with very pretty effects attached to them. You are doing all the work or spending all that money simply because it looks cool.

Goldselling is a reality in MMOs. Cash to Gems to Gold alleviate this a bit by providing a legal outlet for those who would like to buy gold without they fear of identity theft, account theft or malware.

The alternative to a cash shop is subscription. And if your playtime or income is variable month to month it can be a problem. A cash shop allows those willing to pay to pay and play while allowing those who can’t or won’t to play as well. Publishers and devs get money while more people are playing the game than if the game was subscription only. Player population IS content in the MMO world. The larger the population you have, the more likely they will be willing to stay.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Was it 50 or 60 for the retail box, normal version? Add $20 (two additional character slots, basically) to that. I love the game but never buy the fluffy stuff that can only be acquired with gems (I would do so with “digital money”, but not with real cash). I have purchased gems with in game gold, but the two character slots were the product of real money, mostly in memory of the old GW1 store in which character slots were also worth ten dollars. That way I feel like I am supporting the game, but I really can’t afford much more than I have already, sadly.

I may buy a last character slot until they add another Profession-if they ever do. I usually end up making one character per Profession, and I currently only have 7 slots, and no Thief (have made them numerous times, but always delete them for something else.)

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

lol.. I used to play CoH as well since issue 5 and just like then .. I refuse to think about how much I’v spent on an MMO .. after a while it gets abit – depressing lol

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

I want to spend real money on the game, but i wont spend money because WvW has such insane lags.

So..

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

I’ve put about £70 in including the initial purchase. Mainly from RNG boxes which I’ve learnt aren’t worth it. The only thing I would spend my money on now would be gems for trans crystals. But I can just buy them with gold.

I really want to give ANet my money but they’re really not giving me any incentive. Give me more guaranteed (well designed, cough aetherized) customisation options like hairstyles and skins and ill open my wallet again.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not quite sure how you interpret it as Anet only listening to those who spent the most. The vast majority of new content in this game has nothing to do with the gem store, so unless you think they see suggestions/requests they like then check how many gems you’ve bought before deciding whether to consider it that doesn’t make sense.

Yes people can buy gold with gems, so yes they can get any item that can be bought with gold faster if they’re willing to pour real money into the game. But I can’t see how that really makes a difference.

You mentioned precursors but legendaries are purely cosmetic, you can get exactly the same stats from a very cheap exotic weapon. The same goes for all the other types of gear too, you can get the best stats very cheaply and beyond that all you’re paying for is skins. In fact the highest tier items – ascended – can’t be bought with gold, you have to earn the currencies in-game or hope the items drop in Fractals.

The same goes for skins. Yes there are some (arguably) nicer, or more popular skins that can be bought with gold, so people who buy gems and exchange them can get those faster. But there are a lot of others which can’t. No matter how much money you pour into the game you can’t buy dungeon armor or weapons, or any of the karma skins.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

€0 Because it’s not worth it, anyways, i’ve used in-game gold to buy 4 extra character slots , 2 xtra bank slots, and max env. slots on 2 characters, no need for buying gems, they are not worth the money.

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

Gem purchases are the reason the Anet team can roll out new content bi-monthly.

They couldn’t employ such a large team otherwise.

But I can’t justify saying to people ‘go on you should spend money on this game’ when there is zero benefit over the people who don’t.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I probably pay about roughly the equivalent of a monthly sub fee. The nice thing is that what I pay and when I pay it is totally in my choice.

Amun Ra.6435

What advantage can anyone buy with gold or gems? You are making accusations without even trying to back it up. Legendaries do no offer better stats.

Well, that is true now. But once ascended weapons get released everyone who has a legendary now will have ascended weapons on day one while no one else will. So the argument can be made about pay-2-win here.

But I don’t care either way lol.

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I bought the game and a players manual thus far. Also, after finding out my original pc couldn’t run the game I went out and had a gaming pc made. I’d rather not discuss how much I spent on that but lets just say I won’t be getting the ps4 when it drops.

Khisanth.2948

I bought the game and a players manual thus far. Also, after finding out my original pc couldn’t run the game I went out and had a gaming pc made. I’d rather not discuss how much I spent on that but lets just say I won’t be getting the ps4 when it drops.

Wish I did the same for the PS3! The price of a PS3 could have(and probably still can) gotten a really nice graphics card. It is currently a giant expensive paperweight.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

CE + 100 bucks ish after launch

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I paid full price for the game and bought the $20 book. After that I ended up buying a better laptop, and I’ve spent maybe $60 on gems in the last year. I don’t regret it one bit. I totally love this game, and it’s the only one I play. I have no other hobbies. I work a lot and I’m finishing a business degree and an accounting designation. Playing GW is my release and I have a good job that pays more than enough to spend $20 on gems here and there.

I don’t think anyone should judge others on how they spend their money unless those people didn’t earn the money or maybe let their kids go hungry to buy gems! Personally, I don’t think it’s worth using gold or gems to get a legendary weapon, but hey, if that’s what your goal for the game is and you’re happy with it, then by all means, do it however you wish to.

Some people don’t seem to enjoy this game. Fair enough. If you’re not having fun, why are you here?

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Khisanth.2948

I don’t think buying new hardware really counts unless you do absolutely nothing else on the system besides play GW2 on it.

Posted by: Glovebox.5724

Glovebox.5724

A grand total of… (Drum roll) £59.99! The game box. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

I got paid over 10x the amount that I put into Gw2($67after tax) easily by just uploading a few gameplay video and stream a couple times when the game first released…

oh and i got a couple hundreds worth of gems by exchanging gold to gems…