How much money have you spent on gems ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

Title says it, how much money have you spent on gems ? I have one personal rule : Every 24 hour of gameplay this game brings to me i spend 10 € to support game :P
Write your donations for this awesome game

(edited by Safire.9143)

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

$30 for the infinite tools.

Posted by: Baoz.4735

Baoz.4735

$600, I forgot where did I spent them -_-
nothing useful as far as I could remember.

Posted by: Shivetya.9278

Shivetya.9278

like twenty bucks the first week I played to expand character slots and bank. After that I woke up and realized I could just get them with gold

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

$100

I purchase a small amount of gems whenever 1) they do something cool with the game and I want to show my support and 2) it fits in my budget.

I haven’t ever felt the need to buy gems since I can get everything I want with ingame gold.

I really like this payment model

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

None, and I hate to say this, but I don’t intend to either

Unfortunately i can’t support ANet like I did in the past

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Kaeden.6952

Kaeden.6952

~ $500 – $600 spent on gems.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I never bought gems with real money but I think I bought more than 30k gems with in game gold.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

0€. There’s nothing to spend gems on.

I don’t support RNG, I don’t care about mini’s, I already have the dyes I like, I don’t need more bag space or character slots, all style items are ugly, I don’t need boosts (especially not for that price), and most items under the services tab are overpriced.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

I’ll go a while without spending anything, then eventually need to get another 10 bucks of transmutation stones or something. Probably averages out to a standard monthly payment for a p2p MMO.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I have probably spent $300 to $400-ish. I will buy gems twice a month or so just in case I want boosters or whatever; I have all the infinite tools, etc.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

$2,230, and I haven’t bought a single legendary. I don’t regret a thing.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

$20 dollars during headstart to get gold, 100 gems were only worth like 50 silver back then

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

$0 Gold to gems suckas!!!

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Zero. I will only support Anet with expansions and not kittening flutes and stupid Boom Boxes. Since game was launched i bought 2 profane armors, 1 phoenix set, 3 makeover tools and like 40 fine stones, all with in game money. There isn’t even anything else worth buying on their store.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Nuka Cola.8520

Hello,-,-,-,-,-,-, WTF!? On what?

Viking Jorun.5413

Hello,-,-,-,-,-,-, WTF!? On what?

8 alts, several gear sets for each, items like Infinite Light and RNG chests, etc.

Nuka Cola.8520

oh gawd i wish i was that rich spamming over 2k dollars on a random game like that. Anet should give you a title of a Legendary Supporter of Gem Store.

Viking Jorun.5413

oh gawd i wish i was that rich spamming over 2k dollars on a random game like that. Anet should give you a title for Legendary Supporter of Gem Store.

Haha, unfortunately I was laid off and haven’t been able to buy gems, and I refuse to farm in any way (broke my brain’s farming cortex getting my Kudzu _) and haven’t been able to keep up with my friends who farm 8 hours a day and most likely have over 4k hours logged. I’m not too worried about it, but you’ve got to stay on budget when your income stops and you’re on a reserve.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

About $200 – extra bag slots, bank slots, one extra character slot, and some perpetual gathering tools. In retrospect…very pleased with my purchases and the value I received.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I was planning on spending money on buying character slots, but due to a fortunate bug when I was trying out the gemstore and purchasing a slot, I got 5 instead of 1. That was a while back.

After that, I’ve mostly bought stuff with Gems that I got with Gold.
Until they add something worth buying (like quaggan hats that you can use in combat), I’ll not be buying anything. I considered buying some gems for the infinite continue coin, but I still had like 5k gems laying around and I’m not sure if it’d make a difference support wise.

None of the other living story is worthy of any support from me, and I’m really sad to say that.

Aside from awesome skins, or actual account upgrades (such as more bank tabs / bag slots), the thing I would like most is an infinite fine transmutation crystal. I would love to support that, even if it was really pricy.

(edited by eekzie.5640)

Posted by: TehPowA.6903

TehPowA.6903

Spent 20$ got a refund the very next day so in order words 0$

Posted by: TehPowA.6903

TehPowA.6903

How do you even spend 2k on GW2? This isnt like the asian counter part where you have to gamble for enchant/enhancements, costumes, equipment, and mounts.
Did you spent 2k on pets/dye/gold?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Not that it should matter, BUT, about $60 US.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Not counting a copy of the game that I bought for a friend, I’ve spent about $210 on gems since launch, in small increments. That’s slightly more than paying $15/month for a subscription, and most of it was spent either on BL kits/Transmutation Crystals or converted to gold to buy stuff I needed, because sometimes I simply don’t have the time to grind out gold. None of the skins/infinite tools/associated doodads they’ve released on the Gem Store have ever interested me though, doubly so because of all the RNG.

At this point I’ve decided to stop taking the lazy way out; I’m going to buy all my in-game stuff using gold that I make only, and rely on Masters Salvage Kits for my Ectos or hope to get lucky and get a BL kit with my dailies. So no more gem purchases from me for at least a few months.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

(edited by Glenstorm.4059)

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

10$ on fine trasmutation stones, since that’s mandatory if you don’t want to look like a spaz.

If the prices were more reasonable or the shop wasn’t offering exclusively on one-use, one-character, one-slot items, I’d be more willing to support it. As it stands, everything is literally a waste of your money.

Bank slot upgrades are probably the only thing done right. Fair is fair.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

$20 for extra bags. Will do it again soon. I refuse to buy cosmetic stuff for real money, but extra character slots or storage space seems like a fair trade off to me for a game with no fee.

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

I wanna say around 100$, maybe more.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Around $200.00. I’m kind of an impulse buyer, and my wife and I tend to use our entertainment budget on gaming so since there is no subscription we don’t mind forking over cash occasionally for fluff items.

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

$1000-ish. give or take $100 or so

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

At least $50. Not sure how much total since I used paypal for some and CC for another. I would say at most $80..

I usually spend it on transmutation crystals. I bought a new bank tab and a new char slot.. some FF dyes..and converted a lot to gold.

CD

Spicyhash.7605

10$ on fine trasmutation stones, since that’s mandatory if you don’t want to look like a spaz.

If the prices were more reasonable or the shop wasn’t offering exclusively on one-use, one-character, one-slot items, I’d be more willing to support it. As it stands, everything is literally a waste of your money.

I don’t like that you can’t buy one of transmutation crystal. I’ve got 3 in the bank and I need 3 to transmute an armor set and I’m holding off on buying them because I don’t need to buy 5. I’m fine with buying gems in incr of 800, but all items should give the option to buy only one.

CD

Spicyhash.7605

like twenty bucks the first week I played to expand character slots and bank. After that I woke up and realized I could just get them with gold

It is funny because the amount of time you would have to spend playing the game to earn the same amount of gold in real world money is probably way less than it would be if you spent it at work.

800 gems cost like, what, 40g? That is quite a lot unless you’re some daytrader or something. 800 gems is only 10 bucks. you can probably make that in an hour or two working at walmart.

CD

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

I don’t like that you can’t buy one of transmutation crystal. I’ve got 3 in the bank and I need 3 to transmute an armor set and I’m holding off on buying them because I don’t need to buy 5. I’m fine with buying gems in incr of 800, but all items should give the option to buy only one.

It’s an intentional marketing gimmick to get you to buy more than you need.

Posted by: Ace.3816

Ace.3816

$0, the only thing I ever bought from the gem store was the infinite continue coin and I converted 30 gold to get the 600 gems that I needed for it.

Posted by: neurojame.8570

neurojame.8570

About $80
At work I got a $100 gift card to Best Buy for last Christmas.
I head in there and get the $25 card every quarter, that way its the Gift that keeps on giving
I’ve spent most of mine on bank slots, extra characters and the everlasting pick and Ax for a few of my toons.
When you consider the value from the hours of entertainment from this game compared to something passive like going a movie, its money well spent.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I have no idea, how much I have spent. I bought extra character slots and bank vault slots at the beginning and I did buy a quaggan backpack and some transmutation crystals. Oh and I bought the medium armor. I think I bought some pets some time ago. I think that’s it.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

about 100 Euro, but I doubt it will be more. At the moment, the game seems more like a fine temporary amusement till something better hits the market. Really not a long term game.

Nuka Cola.8520

same goes with armors. i bought the phoenix set and out of 6 pieces only using two (chest/legs)… would’ve preferred paying 260gems instead of 800.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

There is nothing in the gem shop I can’t easily get with gold to gems.
So far I got the infinite tools, the bags, the bank slots, and a server transfer with gold to gems.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

about $7000 …oh wait no about $7/mo avg. More so in the beginning but nothing any longer. If they release a full expansion I’ll buy it and maybe get back to the avg $7/mo, But as long as they keep relying on gem sales, sell tokens to play temporary content, increasingly gravitate everything to the gem store rather than crank out epic content on full expansions, my interest in this game drops like a rock. So now I just don’t spend any more, and later if it keeps going in this direction maybe I’ll play/support something else.

Spent more early on on a few bank expansions and a couple inventory slots on a character. Used to get lvl80 transmute stones early on in the game (map completion and I think dailies before laurels), but those shifted to the the gem store where I bought some straight and others using gold exchange. Bought a character slot then two with gold exchange (have 8-80’s). Bought one set of armor skins (early on).

So about $7/mo avg at this point and dropping. As long as they treat this game as an f2p, I’ll be spending money elsewhere. The concept of paying for expansions rather than a sub was doable to me since some other games charge for sub but release large expansions for free. But, I don’t like f2p’s and RMT as a means to support a game, it’s always fail in the long run imo. I’ve had subs 6/yrs+ in some games, f2p’s are just get rich quick schemes, disposable games that investors look to make quick money to then invest in another disposable f2p game. We should be looking towards a real expansion by now, not more content revolving around RMT.

tl;dr If I had known anet was going to launch as a b2p and then switch to an f2p model within that, I would have never spent a penny on this game. $7/mo avg up to this point but now $0/mo until they switch back to the b2p model. And I won’t be using gold exchange any longer either, I won’t promote the use of RMT/gems.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

None, haven’t seen anything in the gem store that I want to buy. If they released an expansion I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Zero. I will only support Anet with expansions and not kittening flutes and stupid Boom Boxes.” This is a fair statement. But how can they make an expansion without players spending some money?

Granted there are plenty paying in the gemstore and they are clearly doing ok per some interviews.

I’ve spent several hundred. No idea how much, both me and the wife play so my costs often double. Sometimes I use gold to gems, but often don’t have the gold. Christmas I spent 100, and I spent 95 alone for a fusion bow RNG chest crap. Wasn’t happy but I am a compulsive like that. So 200 plus everything else. 10 Toons slots, some bags space, some bank space etc.

“But, I don’t like f2p’s and RMT as a means to support a game, it’s always fail in the long run imo.”

Explain why you think this is a F2P game now? You still have to buy the game and you don’t need to spend anything on it, as you now do not.

(edited by KOPPER.1458)

Nuka Cola.8520

^they could make an expansion for three reasons. 1- For the profit of expansion sales (you know, like everyone game and their dlc’s/expansions?). 2- They already made boatload of money with gem store in the year they’ve had. 3- GW2 sold over 3.5 millions, not 300k… not having money for an expansion (which will make them money with this kind of game population) is a laughable joke no matter how much they’ve paid salaries to ppl working for the company.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I haven’t explicitly kept track, but I think its probably around either $125 or $150 now. Spent on character slots, bank slots / bag slots, weapon skins (only guaranteed skins like the Wintersday / Rox and Braham skins, no RNG nonsense), Transmutation Crystals, a few of the event mini-packs (namely the SAB ones), that sort of thing. And I don’t regret it, as much enjoyment as I’ve gotten out of the game. And still better then a subscription fee.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Daywolf.2630

Explain why you think this is a F2P game now? You still have to buy the game and you don’t need to spend anything on it, as you now do not.

Sure, I’ll explain why I consider it an f2p business model currently, imo. At launch it was clearly a b2p model, you bought the game to play, no sub cost. In a subscription model game I play, I pay by the year and that includes free expansions regardless of subscription plan. That game has little to nothing to do with RMT beyond some clothing options for the most part.

The two games business models were very similar, but anet charges for game content release/expansions rather than for a monthly sub being the difference, both imo acceptable. Neither relying on RMT stores to drive the game as f2p’s do.

That has changed for gw2, go buy yourself an infinite continue token and ponder that. Sure, you can get some plays in, but to keep playing, you need to purchase from the gem store. Also, there has been no real talk of a paid expansion, but they are ramping up the gem store evermore so each passing month. You may need to buy the ever cheapening game to get in, but once in you are paying for new content ‘a la carte’, it is no different than how an f2p business model operates. That has already started.

The only game I recall that wasn’t an f2p but didn’t speak of a solid expansion release by the end of the first year was earth and beyond. There was no f2p back then, and an expansion wasn’t announced because by then the game had been abandoned by the investors for something else (i.e EA land ex-sims online). I suppose if the f2p business model was the usual back then, they would have gone to that, but it wasn’t so the game was abandoned of development and then closed soon after.

GW2 is the second mmo game I’ve come across that was not speaking of an expansion by years end. Since this game is not a subscription game, then they must have changed modes, which by how they are boosting the usage of RMT, has switched over to an f2p business model, or wrapped up in one at this point. As time goes by, the initial purchase price will continue to decrease as they more so rely on gem sales to drive this business plan.

As for you not needing to spend money on it, someone does and you exchange gold for it. This can only work temporarily as players have more and more gold while less new players spawn. They will need to bring in new players which will spend money to catch up. Once new incoming player accounts dry up, even to the point of lowering the initial entry price to $0, and likely those players refusing to spend money, as with all f2p’s the system breaks down given time, and has become so mundane (grinding for gold exchange etc) most players have long since left for a shiny new game.

At this point it goes one way or the other, so I put it as in an IMO response. I assume they are watching the numbers while psychologists, economists and investors are all attentively attending meetings on the future of the game and it’s business model.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am not sure I would call what you described a F2P game. There are elements there, but if anything it’s some weird hybrid. There is an entry cost (buy the game) and until it’s free then It’s not a real f2p. Difference of opinion I suppose.

I do agree with some of your points, but there is nothing in the gem store I ever feel like I need in order to complete the content. Or in order to enjoy the game. Nothing is stopping me from experiencing the new content every 2 weeks.

Nuka: You could very well be right about however much profit was made. I am sure with gem sales and such they could afford to make a boxed expansion. Sadly we’ll have to wait and see how that pans out. They spent much of the last year setting the foundation and smoothing the building bricks, guess we’ll see where that leads us this year.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I know someone in another game who has spent $10,000+ on supporting the game in there cash shop…quite a lot have spent $2000+…you get to design unique items/monsters that are then put into the game…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t really have an exact figure, because I don’t keep careful track. It’s probably quite a bit, because I’m paying for both my wife and myself, though. It’s certainly in the hundreds of dollars, though.

Daywolf.2630

I do agree with some of your points, but there is nothing in the gem store I ever feel like I need in order to complete the content. Or in order to enjoy the game. Nothing is stopping me from experiencing the new content every 2 weeks.

Well I put one recent example, seems clear cut. But they didn’t add the continue tokens until recently. They are willing to do it though, by that example, and I’m sure none of us know how far they are going to take things like that in the future. I’m not out the door yet, all I can do is wait and see how far they take it after testing the waters. Some have no problem with it, and I understand that, but that wasn’t how the game was pitched from the beginning, which is fully misleading to those that did buy the game on the merit that what was told to them by anet. What was it? Fool me once shame on… something something

I mean come on, how is making micro-payments to access a dungeon whenever you want b2p? Is it b2p-b2p? Buy it once – buy it twice? Buy it again and again? hmmm…

(edited by Daywolf.2630)