How much time needed create Storage Material?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: as asureus.6287

as asureus.6287

6 months ago we were asked that we need to store materials for what is still not there?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Considering it was stated that it would be a side project that Linsey would work on when she had time, and that it would not be anytime soon, I am guessing either there hasn’t been enough time, or it is a bigger project than expected.

It will happen when it happens is all one can really expect.

Good luck.

as asureus.6287

Next Voici Linsey Murdock’s message: OK, everybody, the big day came! I had announced you that we are going to examine our system of collection of materials to determine if it was possible to relieve the current limitations on what we can store there. We finally ended our investigation and are ready to discuss with you new materials whom you wish to be able to store. Thank you for posting all your suggestions on our official forums (available in English, in French, in German and in Spanish) or on the inevitable discussion Reddit sending back to this announcement. The community teams and myself shall keep an eye on all these pages and shall gather information thanks to your returns. Before a week approximately, we shall verify the validity

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well since in many games this’d be ticking checkboxes on a tool the devs use, it can’t be that simple here.

My guess?

Have to write Assembler-code which patches a running binary on the server, in-memory. No one has the source-code to the server any more, but they know how to run/stop it, so they have lots of the servers and you kill them one by one as you debug your code.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

This might help explain what is going on with the material storage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFc-7phx-Bc&t=481s

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It was stated from the start that it was going to be a side project for her, and not her main priority, and then very soon after her announcement of this, she also told us that she got hit with a lot more important projects, and had to put this one aside.

Its going to be finished when its finished, but continuing to complain about it won’t make that happen any faster

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you read what Linsey wrote, she said she has a clear list of what to do, which items will make it into material storage, how to reorganize the UI, and how to prevent stuff from ending up in inventory in the first place. Now, it’s a matter of implementing the plan.

Maybe it’s something that should be a priority from ANet, but that would likely be at the expense of the next expac (due to LM’s other responsibilities). Is it really that urgent?

We were never given a date for when this work would be started. LM has updated us whenever there’s something new. So, I’m not sure why the OP thinks there’s an issue at all.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

as asureus.6287

It is just that we ask you for your opinion , after we have no information on the official forum . My bank is full with the items of new zone. I know not in a mmorpg I thought that storages of materials was basic has to make.
Well then that he restores me a list has to make in 6 months by there will be still full again materials.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As said by Linsey herself, this is not a project that takes top priority (or even top 5 list of projects priority). She decided to start looking into and working on this as a side project. It was never promised as being completed anytime soon. So, while we’d love to have it done ASAP, she has to work on the top priority projects first.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It is just that we ask you for your opinion , after we have no information on the official forum .

We do. Her last comment was 5 months ago. She wrote:

• “my spread sheet is already up around 3k lines (includes duplicate suggestions) just from this thread and it is clear that there is a large consensus on many items.”
  • “Since I am primarily leading the Living World teams, which is a fast paced and high energy project, with this as a side project it’s going to take me at least a couple weeks to fully sort through all the suggestions and come up with a plan”
  • “As of this moment, consider this thread closed and once I have completed my work, I’ll kick off a new thread with the results.”

She also updated her comments on Reddit.

My bank is full with the items of new zone.

Yes, as is true for many other people including Linsey. She’s acknowledged this, told us she’s going to make this happen, despite the fact that she is already very busy.

I know not in a mmorpg I thought that storages of materials was basic has to make.

And it’s pretty good in this game, far better than in some (not as good as others).

Well then that he restores me a list has to make in 6 months by there will be still full again materials.

If you are running out of storage space, it’s worth investing a few hours in learning how to better manage your inventory. There are a number of different strategies and tools that already exist.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

All I wanted was them to add new slots to the Material Storage. I didn’t want anyone to rework UIs or automatically deposit materials or anything like that, I just wanted it so that when I click “Deposit Material” my “Bloodstone Rubies” (for example) go into Material Storage rather than sit in my inventory. So I’m very glad to read the following in her Reddit post:

“As a very quick half measure, I have asked that we at least add the Season 3 map materials to material storage with Episode 5. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5ylj2w/anet_it_has_been_months_when_will_you_finally/

If the other parts of her plan are too complex then of course she can shelve them indefinitely. It’s a pity but those materials were the “biggest offenders” for me.

If you read what Linsey wrote, she said she has a clear list of what to do, which items will make it into material storage, how to reorganize the UI, and how to prevent stuff from ending up in inventory in the first place. Now, it’s a matter of implementing the plan.

Maybe it’s something that should be a priority from ANet, but that would likely be at the expense of the next expac (due to LM’s other responsibilities). Is it really that urgent?

Not necessarily. That’s why we form teams. Lindsey can hand this over to some other people. She’s done the design work and was about to hand it over when she got distracted onto other work. I guarantee that in a company like ArenaNet that there’s some eager beaver who would be only too happy to take over.

As for whether it’s urgent, well, I don’t know about urgent but I imagine her planned changes will only improve the game and the player experience. It should also help in the creation of processes and guidelines about how this kind of stuff should be handled in the future before we end up with another two or three map currencies and other materials that will have to be retroactively added to storage. That’s time well spent.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Not necessarily. That’s why we form teams. Lindsey can hand this over to some other people. She’s done the design work and was about to hand it over when she got distracted onto other work. I guarantee that in a company like ArenaNet that there’s some eager beaver who would be only too happy to take over.

I think you are mistaking what role Lindsey plays here: think of her as the person who ensures that the work of those teams continues forward, on schedule, and makes sure that the problems that crop up along the way get resolved.

It’s not “do a bit of design, toss it over the fence, done”, it’s “work every day to keep the project on track.”

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

All I wanted was them to add new slots to the Material Storage. I didn’t want anyone to rework UIs or automatically deposit materials or anything like that, I just wanted it so that when I click “Deposit Material” my “Bloodstone Rubies” (for example) go into Material Storage rather than sit in my inventory. So I’m very glad to read the following in her Reddit post:

“As a very quick half measure, I have asked that we at least add the Season 3 map materials to material storage with Episode 5. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5ylj2w/anet_it_has_been_months_when_will_you_finally/

If the other parts of her plan are too complex then of course she can shelve them indefinitely. It’s a pity but those materials were the “biggest offenders” for me.

As for whether it’s urgent, well, I don’t know about urgent but I imagine her planned changes will only improve the game and the player experience. It should also help in the creation of processes and guidelines about how this kind of stuff should be handled in the future before we end up with another two or three map currencies and other materials that will have to be retroactively added to storage. That’s time well spent.

Actually Linsey said in one of her Reddit posts that this isn’t something that she would hand over to someone that doesn’t know what they are doing. Apparently material storage if not handled correctly, could have devastating effects.

Here are some quotes from Linsey about passing it off:

“I am unwilling to pull anyone off of their current work to do this. It’s a lower priority task and I don’t have anyone lazing around not doing much. We are all super busy”

“Like others have said, it is very common for devs to have side projects like this and more often than not, Quality of Life changes are side projects. The company’s priorities for investment of resources tends to be different, thus why I have not delegated it out. I mean, purely from a leads perspective, expanding material storage is not more important than other work that I would have to pull people off of to do it. Plus, to top it all off, material storage is a delicate system where small mistakes could result in roll-back level problems were they to hit Live. So I’m simply not comfortable passing it to someone that is not intimately knowledgeable and there are only three other people in the building that are intimately knowledgeable.”

So yes, while there might be some “eager beaver” as you put it, she is simply unwilling to trust them with it. And based off of her comment about it having potentially rollback level issues if mishandled, I will trust her judgement of what needs to be done. I’m sure none of us want another rollback.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I would really prefer they solve these basic bunch of bugs and QOL gaps before they even announce the next Expac.
IMO Keyring and more intelligent Wallet are bigger priorities than Build Saving. And I’m assuming the second Expac WILL have the option to save Builds…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I would really prefer they solve these basic bunch of bugs and QOL gaps before they even announce the next Expac.
IMO Keyring and more intelligent Wallet are bigger priorities than Build Saving. And I’m assuming the second Expac WILL have the option to save Builds…

I honestly see no reason to expect that. It’s something people ask for, but it’s not like they have not asked for it for literal years, and it’s absolutely not a selling point for a game. I hundred percent promise you that anyone who says “can save builds” would bring them back is … fibbing, even if it’s unintentionally.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Lets call it “dumb hope”, then.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Pifil.5193

I think you are mistaking what role Lindsey plays here: think of her as the person who ensures that the work of those teams continues forward, on schedule, and makes sure that the problems that crop up along the way get resolved.

It’s not “do a bit of design, toss it over the fence, done”, it’s “work every day to keep the project on track.”

Lindsey is a lead designer, not a project manager, she shouldn’t be implementing this, she shouldn’t even be managing it as such.

Pifil.5193

Actually Linsey said in one of her Reddit posts that this isn’t something that she would hand over to someone that doesn’t know what they are doing. Apparently material storage if not handled correctly, could have devastating effects.

“I am unwilling to pull anyone off of their current work to do this. It’s a lower priority task and I don’t have anyone lazing around not doing much. We are all super busy”

“Like others have said, it is very common for devs to have side projects like this and more often than not, Quality of Life changes are side projects. The company’s priorities for investment of resources tends to be different, thus why I have not delegated it out. I mean, purely from a leads perspective, expanding material storage is not more important than other work that I would have to pull people off of to do it. Plus, to top it all off, material storage is a delicate system where small mistakes could result in roll-back level problems were they to hit Live. So I’m simply not comfortable passing it to someone that is not intimately knowledgeable and there are only three other people in the building that are intimately knowledgeable.”

So yes, while there might be some “eager beaver” as you put it, she is simply unwilling to trust them with it. And based off of her comment about it having potentially rollback level issues if mishandled, I will trust her judgement of what needs to be done. I’m sure none of us want another rollback.

Evidently she is willing to trust someone because next release they’re planning on adding the LS map rewards to material storage. It’s a live database, messing it up could be disastrous, of course it could, but they’ve added entries to material storage for the last three legendaries without any problems so I think it’s fair to say that it’s a repeatable process, as for their (apparent) problems with sharing knowledge, well its nothing a little documentation wouldn’t solve.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Evidently she is willing to trust someone because next release they’re planning on adding the LS map rewards to material storage. It’s a live database, messing it up could be disastrous, of course it could, but they’ve added entries to material storage for the last three legendaries without any problems so I think it’s fair to say that it’s a repeatable process, as for their (apparent) problems with sharing knowledge, well its nothing a little documentation wouldn’t solve.

I imagine that however their database is set up, its significantly easier to add a brand new item to mat storage than it is to update an already existing item to go into mat storage.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

IIRC she was also talking about revamping the entire UI for material storage. It so easy to overlook the work required to make a descent UI.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

If you are running out of storage space, it’s worth investing a few hours in learning how to better manage your inventory. There are a number of different strategies and tools that already exist.

Even with good inventory management, at some point (and that’s soon) you run out of room, hoarding stuff you cannot sell. My latest mule has 92 slots and is mainly filled with Dragonite Ore, Bloodstone Dust and Empyreal Fragments. Those alone fill 64 slots in my account. If you want to play your other characters, filling their inventories is not a good solution either.

I am only playing for 2 months, I cannot imagine how people do it that are here for years. Do you just destroy the materials? I’ll probably start selling mithril, thick leather and elder wood because I can buy them again when needed. But this just means we are all using the trading post as storage. Upgrading the material storage with gems is not worth it because storage shortage is only caused by those 6 materials. I’ll soon start turning dust into bricks, but those will eventually fill up slots too.

I admit, I’m a bit of a hoarder though. I should probably sell the surplus exotics I loot, but I want to keep them for salvaging when my crafting level is up.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even with good inventory management, at some point (and that’s soon) you run out of room, hoarding stuff you cannot sell.

That doesn’t fit my definition of “good inventory management.”

Pifil.5193

I imagine that however their database is set up, its significantly easier to add a brand new item to mat storage than it is to update an already existing item to go into mat storage.

I would give an educated guess (with significant software engineering experience) that it’s pretty much the same effort. Sure it would have been a little quicker to do it at the start when you were creating the item but it shouldn’t be all that much more complex at any stage.

If you look at the API you get a good idea of the complexity of the material storage at a data level.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:2/account/materials

Adding a new item to materials from a database perspective is “simply” a matter of adding a new column to a table. (I say “simply” because it’s never that simple and there are, of course, deployment and QA costs but it shouldn’t be all that more complex either.)

Anyway, enough armchair engineering. The great news is that they are (hopefully, time allowing) adding the map currencies with the next map, that’ll free up a lot of space in my bank.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Even with good inventory management, at some point (and that’s soon) you run out of room, hoarding stuff you cannot sell. My latest mule has 92 slots and is mainly filled with Dragonite Ore, Bloodstone Dust and Empyreal Fragments. Those alone fill 64 slots in my account. If you want to play your other characters, filling their inventories is not a good solution either.

I am only playing for 2 months, I cannot imagine how people do it that are here for years. Do you just destroy the materials? I’ll probably start selling mithril, thick leather and elder wood because I can buy them again when needed. But this just means we are all using the trading post as storage. Upgrading the material storage with gems is not worth it because storage shortage is only caused by those 6 materials. I’ll soon start turning dust into bricks, but those will eventually fill up slots too.

I admit, I’m a bit of a hoarder though. I should probably sell the surplus exotics I loot, but I want to keep them for salvaging when my crafting level is up.

I believe many players feed their surplus Ascended Materials to ‘eaters’, or use them to create high-ticket items to sell. I know that’s what I do. Not sure why one would want to hoard Mithril, Elder Wood or Thick Leather; it’s certainly easy enough to come by.

Fatalyz.7168

Either that, or she was able to add it in herself…. Don’t assume she had someone else do it, unless she has said that she had someone else do it. Anet has also mentioned that there is a lot of “spaghetti code”, so we have know idea how easy or difficult something is for them.

We can speculate on how easy or difficult it “SHOULD” be, but that is irrelevant to what they can do.

Yes, documentation is a wonderful thing, however it is their choice on how they want to operate as a business.

I’m not arguing against you on how they should do it, I’m just informing you of what they are doing and how they are handling material storage, straight from the developers mouth.

Pifil.5193

Either that, or she was able to add it in herself…. Don’t assume she had someone else do it, unless she has said that she had someone else do it. Anet has also mentioned that there is a lot of “spaghetti code”, so we have know idea how easy or difficult something is for them.

We can speculate on how easy or difficult it “SHOULD” be, but that is irrelevant to what they can do.

Yes, documentation is a wonderful thing, however it is their choice on how they want to operate as a business.

I’m not arguing against you on how they should do it, I’m just informing you of what they are doing and how they are handling material storage, straight from the developers mouth.

I’m not assuming anything, I’ll post the direct quote from Lindsey again (it was in the post that you initially replied to):

The fact that she said “I have asked that we” would indicate that she didn’t do it personally.

Fatalyz.7168

I’m not assuming anything, I’ll post the direct quote from Lindsey again (it was in the post that you initially replied to):

The fact that she said “I have asked that we” would indicate that she didn’t do it personally.

Or she asked to include what she had with this update? It doesn’t indicate that she had someone else do it or didn’t do it herself. We don’t know if she has the final sign-off on what is included in each update.

All we know is that she said "As a very quick half measure, I have asked that we at least add the Season 3 map materials to material storage with Episode 5. " Anything more than that, even what you take as an indication, is still just an assumption (it may be a correct assumption, but it still an assumption).

Also not sure why this wasn’t included on my last post when I attempted an edit earlier, so here goes:

Regardless of how we feel about material storage, Anet as a company or rather the lead in charge of it, does not feel that it is important enough to assign people to work on it over anything else that they are currently working on. That unfortunately means that we can either A) wait until someone has the free time to work on it or wait until someone uses their personal time to work on it.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume that this would seriously reduce the sale of Character slots and inventory storage bags and bank slots?
I’d expect a game change that required more items be stored, or a significant increase in the gem store costs for storage and character slots.
Likely they are working to create methods to turn a potential loss of income into a potential gain, before implementing this type of change.
Think maybe they would be looking for ideas?

Behellagh.1468

I don’t think it was their intention to encourage bag, bank and shared slot sales. The currency/mat from new maps simply fall through the cracks. Now keys are another thing.

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think it was their intention to encourage bag, bank and shared slot sales. The currency/mat from new maps simply fall through the cracks. Now keys are another thing.

They’ve said, on the contrary, as players, they are just as frustrated as we are with the plethora of ‘tokens’ and ‘currency as objects’ (and keys, too). Linsey has said that she can address the materials and currency issues; she’s also said that a key ring is a different kettle of fish and they don’t have a solution they like (not yet anyhow).

Behellagh.1468

Yes, I know, I read the posts. Didn’t say anything differently. When the deadline approaches and you need to decide what MUST be done to ship a release, the wallet and collection additions is an easy cut, to be added at a latter date. Think this is what happen to LS2 currencies as well, they were added to the wallet nearly a year later.

There must be a bottleneck we aren’t aware off surrounding the wallet and collection storage additions. Alterations to the player account database perhaps?

RIP City of Heroes