How's the game now? (open-beta player here)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I’ve not logged-into GW2 since December 2012.
The last thing I explored is the Fractals and gotten my rings.

How’s the game now?
In-terms of events, monthly stories, one-time stuffs & everything else.
How about guild halls, housings and stuffs? Are they implemented yet?
(I’ve been waiting for housing system for ages.)

I’m thinking of going back in since a group of friends of mine wants to play this game.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Still pretty much the same…….With some “living story updates” now and then……Oh people just farm champions and fail events so they can farm more champions to earn gold cuz they changed the loot drop for champions……Dozen of new collectibles.More RNG boxes……………That’s about it.

(edited by xephire.8324)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Updates are on a 2-week cycle….whole bunch of events. People complained that there was nothing to farm…now they are complaining that it’s too much farming.

No housing yet…been waiting as well.
More ascended items have been added (necklaces and soon weapons)

Dailies, Guild Missions…plenty of stuff to do.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_summary
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

There’s a saying in game development that goes something like this:

“If you were to judge every game by their official forums, you’d come to the conclusion that every game is terrible, complete trash, and should never be played by anyone.”

Point being, if you want to know what the game is like now, log in and see rather than go by the opinion of people who swarm to official forums to voice their personal dissatisfaction.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

There’s a saying in game development that goes something like this:

“If you were to judge every game by their official forums, you’d come to the conclusion that every game is terrible, complete trash, and should never be played by anyone.”

Point being, if you want to know what the game is like now, log in and see rather than go by the opinion of people who swarm to official forums to voice their personal dissatisfaction.

Mass Effect 3, the worst game ever made. Why? It had an ending that was open to interpretation and people didn’t like that.

I think the real problem is that people are really narrow minded and judge a game based on very specific factors that they consider to be important. They refuse to look at the game as a whole.

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

GW2 slowly becomes another gear grind MMO as WOW, EQ or any other MMO on the market…there’s almost nothing left that is unique for GW2, that differs that game from other games. Sadly ArenaNet failed under whiners complaints and is blind on truly fans that love the game and love the game for the philosophy ArenaNet stated when the game was under development, where the skill had matter not the gear u posses, where the grind was meaningless.

Day by day im loosing my faith in ArenaNet as a developer, bad decisions can turn really bad and i can see the changes, bad changes in a long term with Ascended gear (which was really bad idea from the start).

I hope i’m wrong, but personaly i can’t lie to myself, dunno i if i still be playing GW2 by the end of the year.

chemiclord.3978

I think the real problem is that people are really narrow minded and judge a game based on very specific factors that they consider to be important. They refuse to look at the game as a whole.

(I’m going to walk away from the whole ME3 thing. No offense, but this isn’t the BSN..)

Presuming what you say is true, I’m not sure how that in and of itself is the problem. If you have things that you like, and those elements aren’t met, well… that’s that. There’s really no “whole” to consider.

Granted, when people CONSTANTLY whine about it, day after day after day, yeah, it gets annoying, and it makes you wonder why they keep logging in when they KNOW they aren’t going to like what’s waiting for them… but meh, maybe they like their own misery, I guess.

It would seem like the best course of action would be to walk away… but emotional investment is a hard thing to break; and that’s true for any medium really, be they books, TV, movies, or video games.

Entertainment is srs bizness, it would seem.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

GW2 slowly becomes another gear grind MMO as WOW, EQ or any other MMO on the market…there’s almost nothing left that is unique for GW2, that differs that game from other games. Sadly ArenaNet failed under whiners complaints and is blind on truly fans that love the game and love the game for the philosophy ArenaNet stated when the game was under development, where the skill had matter not the gear u posses, where the grind was meaningless.

Day by day im loosing my faith in ArenaNet as a developer, bad decisions can turn really bad and i can see the changes, bad changes in a long term with Ascended gear (which was really bad idea from the start).

I hope i’m wrong, but personaly i can’t lie to myself, dunno i if i still be playing GW2 by the end of the year.

I can still play everything in my exotics. (except FoTM 20+.)

Soo….

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

(I’m going to walk away from the whole ME3 thing. No offense, but this isn’t the BSN..)

Presuming what you say is true, I’m not sure how that in and of itself is the problem. If you have things that you like, and those elements aren’t met, well… that’s that. There’s really no “whole” to consider.

Granted, when people CONSTANTLY whine about it, day after day after day, yeah, it gets annoying, and it makes you wonder why they keep logging in when they KNOW they aren’t going to like what’s waiting for them… but meh, maybe they like their own misery, I guess.

It would seem like the best course of action would be to walk away… but emotional investment is a hard thing to break; and that’s true for any medium really, be they books, TV, movies, or video games.

Entertainment is srs bizness, it would seem.

Erm,the post is about how’s the game now.I just merely answered it and did not whine though :/.I don’t think your post is very constructive on whining about whiners….

chemiclord.3978

Erm,the post is about how’s the game now.I just merely answered it and did not whine though :/.I don’t think your post is very constructive on whining about whiners….

I was speaking in terms of generalities rather than at any one specific person. I am sorry if you thought I was leveling any criticism at you specifically.

As for whining about whiners, if that what you want to call it… so be it. I don’t agree; I feel it’s more an observation more than anything else.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I see… how’s FOTM? Any new maps in there?

Also, are there one-time events like the ancient Karkas in the lost shore where thousands players participate in the same map at once? That was epic and would love to experience the feel again.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

We have the same bugs, that’s for sure :P

FotM are the same but new maps are coming (or that is what they made us believe).

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Its become a MASSIVE grind to get anywhere…since you played…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’re an “end game” type player, you’re going to see if massive grind to get stuff. If you’re a more casual player, you might not see it quite the same way.

I’m a casual player who plays a lot of hours, but I never grind. I just do what I think is fun, when I think it’s fun. Somehow, I get achievements, gold and karma…without grinding. I don’t know how. I just play the game.

I think it helps to have friends and a guild. If everyone is having a good time, nothing feels like a grind. If you’re going into the game with the idea that I have to get his weapon as soon as possible, you are definitely going to grind for it.

Some people love the two week update cycle, some people hate it. It’s particularly kitten completionists, because we feel rushed to do stuff. For other people, it’s probably quite nice to have new stuff to do every two weeks.

People who focus on dungeons or raids or that type of end game are probably the least happy with Guild Wars 2. People who focus on achievements are probably happier….just guess on my part.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

If you enjoy just casual goal-less exploring and fun, give it a try. If you want actual end game content then you will be disappointed.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Sorry but it is meaningless to ask that question here. Go play the game. If you like it, great. If you don’t you have not lost anything at all.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I think the real problem is that people…judge a game based on very specific factors that they consider to be important.

Doesn’t pretty much everyone judge something’s worth to them by those factors that are important to them ?

It would be pretty silly to try judging something’s worth to you based on factors that mean little or nothing to you.

“Hmm, I think that the Trailblazer is the car for me because it has four-wheel drive..which I do not need nor will I ever use….”

Vayne.8563

I think the real problem is that people…judge a game based on very specific factors that they consider to be important.

Doesn’t pretty much everyone judge something’s worth to them by those factors that are important to them ?

It would be pretty silly to try judging something’s worth to you based on factors that mean little or nothing to you.

“Hmm, I think that the Trailblazer is the car for me because it has four-wheel drive..which I do not need nor will I ever use….”

Nope, not every judges things on what’s important to them.

For example, the very most important RPG element I crave is immersion and Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have it at all. I realized it early on, decided it’s okay to play games without immersion and I’m having fun.

Now I could have easily gone the other way. I could have said this game has no immersion so it sucks. But it doesn’t suck, in spite having no immersion.

Some people are more adapatable or tolerant…some people attach themselves to certain criteria and they must have this criteria.

That’s why I’m often less jaded when it comes to watching movies than most of my friends. I don’t just judge a movie by my standards…I look at what the goal of the creators were and I judge at least in part of that.

Essentially, I don’t go to see Tombraider the Movie, and expect a deep and compelling drama.

Ashen.2907

For example, the very most important RPG element I crave is immersion and Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have it at all. I realized it early on, decided it’s okay to play games without immersion and I’m having fun.

Now I could have easily gone the other way. I could have said this game has no immersion so it sucks. But it doesn’t suck, in spite having no immersion.

Some people are more adapatable or tolerant…some people attach themselves to certain criteria and they must have this criteria.

That’s why I’m often less jaded when it comes to watching movies than most of my friends. I don’t just judge a movie by my standards…I look at what the goal of the creators were and I judge at least in part of that.

Essentially, I don’t go to see Tombraider the Movie, and expect a deep and compelling drama.

Honest question:

Are you intentionally misrepresenting my statement or is it a case of misunderstanding?

Vayne.8563

Honest question:

Are you intentionally misrepresenting my statement or is it a case of misunderstanding?

Must be misunderstanding: I’m looking at this line:

“Doesn’t pretty much everyone judge something’s worth to them by those factors that are important to them ?”

I don’t. I just stuff on what they’re intended to be. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Ashen.2907

Honest question:

“Doesn’t pretty much everyone judge something’s worth to them by those factors that are important to them ?”

I don’t. I just stuff on what they’re intended to be. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Note the part that says, “worth to them,” please. I am not making any statement about some sort of absolute value or worth to the user base as a whole. Also note that something being of little or no worth to one person because it is unimportant to them does not mean that it, “sucks,” merely that it doesn’t matter to them.

You give the example of immersion lacking in GW2. But you also state that you find GW2 to be fun. It seems that fun is one of those important factors for you. Would you continue to play and financially support GW2 if it was not fun for you ? I imagine not as you would be judging its worth to you by a factor that is important to you and would likely move on to find a game that you would enjoy.

Vayne.8563

Honest question:

Note the part that says, “worth to them,” please. I am not making any statement about some sort of absolute value or worth to the user base as a whole. Also note that something being of little or no worth to one person because it is unimportant to them does not mean that it, “sucks,” merely that it doesn’t matter to them.

You give the example of immersion lacking in GW2. But you also state that you find GW2 to be fun. It seems that fun is one of those important factors for you. Would you continue to play and financially support GW2 if it was not fun for you ? I imagine not as you would be judging its worth to you by a factor that is important to you and would likely move on to find a game that you would enjoy.

It’s fun for me, because I’m not attached to the more important aspect of immersion. Fun is important, immersion more so.

I could have hated this game, if I were attached to a pre-conceived notion. That’s all I’m saying.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Still in open-beta apparently......

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall