How to disable skill tool tips?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

Not sure if this has been raised in the past, but is there a way to toggle hide/show the tool tips for skills? Some skills have tons of chain moves that tend to clutter up the screen.

I know some people are used to using the keyboard for everything, but it’s kind of hard when you have a tiny keyboard and big hands. :/

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

You mean the text that appears when you mouse over a skill? I did not know this was a tooltip, it looks closer to some piece of lore or something

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

The text actually describes the skills effect, duration, etc. and is fine the first time around. But when you’ve used the same skill, like, 1000 times…

Posted by: Lex.7609

Lex.7609

I am also seeking a way to remove the tooltips.

I assume this was never resolved, and there isn’t a way to do this, which is unfortunate, because like many, I’m a clicker, and will always be a clicker.

Tooltips really get in the way.

Hopefully an option is added in a future patch (please!)

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

This is one of my biggest bugbears. Some skillchain tooltips reach nearly to the top of the screen. A simple toggle on/off button in the options menu would suffice and is so easy to implement that I don’t know why the option isn’t already present.

Posted by: Obcidian.7648

Obcidian.7648

Not just that but its really freaken annoying when I right click an item to see its menus options on to have it completely blocked by the kitten tooltip. Maybe not a hide option at least a relocation option so I can place it somewhere it wont block my view.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

the option to remove it is to stop skill clicking.

Re-do your keybinds so you never have to use a mouse for anything other than camera control.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Re-do your keybinds so you never have to use a mouse for anything other than camera control.

Also one option to never get a headache again is to decapitate yourself.

I asked about this ages ago, they won’t change it. GW2’s ui/overlay elements are all about invasiveness and clutter, not being able to see GW2.

Wish they would replace the pointless skill effects box with a ‘Show/Hide Massive Tool Tips’ box though.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

this has always been a glaring dark mark for this game: the UI is horrible. this game would improve ten-fold if we just had something as simple as customizable UI options.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I wish they would give us the option too, im near sure we had this option in GW1 to disable the skill description unless we had our edit skill bar open, ( in the case of GW2 this would be the Hero tab )

Posted by: Pilot.6094

Pilot.6094

Ideally we could disable it or worst case put a 3 second delay on tooltips. When I roll over my shatters skills the key areas of the center of the screen are covered.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I asked about this ages ago, they won’t change it. GW2’s ui/overlay elements are all about invasiveness and clutter, not being able to see GW2.

Wish they would replace the pointless skill effects box with a ‘Show/Hide Massive Tool Tips’ box though.

I mean if you want to go to the extreme sure you can decapitate yourself.

My point was that its far faster to push buttons than scroll your mouse everywhere, and you’ll notice a drastic increase in your actual player skill if you rebind your keys instead of clicking but hey continue on looking for a fix to a non-issue.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I mean if you want to go to the extreme sure you can decapitate yourself.

My point was that its far faster to push buttons than scroll your mouse everywhere, and you’ll notice a drastic increase in your actual player skill if you rebind your keys instead of clicking but hey continue on looking for a fix to a non-issue.

Please listen to this guy. Get a mouse with more buttons on it, bind them to 6-10 and profession skills, then use keyboard 1-5 for weapon skills. 10x better, no tooltips and it will improve your skill because you won’t have to look at the skill bar anymore.

It is known.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Or, you know, Anet could fix the issue.
Those who click are happy, those who don’t click don’t get the problem anyway and so were already happy.
Yay, happiness for all.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Pilot.6094

The tooltips are a real-bummer, scarring an otherwise awesome UI. Please add a configurable hover time. It is disappointing that the main part of the screen is covered constantly.

Any possibility this will ever be addressed?

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Hmm, my thought was that skills are to be operated with keys 1-0 above qwerty, not mouse clicking (which is absurd in an MMO).
Thankfully, I’ve had a Razer Naga for 5years and have all of my skills and Fskills bound to it.

This “fix” you’re asking for is not needed. Mousing over something was always intended to be used to grab more info about the target you land on. That’s why you have tooltips for everything you own on your account.

Wanting to fix something that isn’t broken is a bit of a waste of resources.

Kitten.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The tooltips are a real-bummer, scarring an otherwise awesome UI. Please add a configurable hover time. It is disappointing that the main part of the screen is covered constantly.

Any possibility this will ever be addressed?

Even a one-second delay would be helpful.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

I just wish some of you would realize that some people are clickers and will remain clickers. That is their right just like it is your right to play the game the way that you are comfortable.

I too would like to see that option in game. No I am not a clicker, I usually use keybinds. What is also annoying is when my mouse gets bumped, and accidently lands on a skill, and the tooltip pops up as I am fighting. I have to reach over and move my mouse off of the skill to get that huge box to go away. Give us an option to hide it, please.

you can’t fix stupid

Pilot.6094

It’s great some people use a Razer Naga, I do, but still prefer a combination of clicks and mouse keys. Most players do not have a Razer and it is a design flaw. If skills weren’t meant to be clicked they should remove that option from the UI, I’m sure that would go over well. Everyone can have their own play style, a good UI can easily support everyone’s needs. The fact that you are not a clicker is meaningless – it is a serious flaw in an otherwise excellent UI.

Pilot.6094

Can you change the behavior of the skill tooltips, by adding a rollover delay (ideally configurable) before they pop up? As a mesmer rolling over any of my shatters completely covers the center of the screen where all the action takes place. It really is a shame because the UI is go great everywhere. Combat involves me looking at tooltips that I’ve seen a million times rather than the enemy in front of me.

I would imagine this is quite a simple thing to adjust and it would add so much to the immersion and usability.

Attachments:

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I can imagine how annoying it could be mainly with shatter skills as their tooltips are huge and show up instantly , however I’m wondering… do you really use mouse that much to click on those skills? Or you are just used to randomly release your mouse over the skill bar and then accidentally hovering those skills? My main is a mesmer and I just wonder how someone would be able to play having it click on each and all skills there. Sorry if you have some issue or something that require you to play in a different manner, in this case apologize me for this comment and ignore it.

Pilot.6094

Everyone has their own play style, I’m sure ANet can see the stats on how many people click vs use hotkeys. I’d wager most players still click. I use both personally situationally. Mousing and clicking is no more difficult than hotkeys (with the exception of the obstructed view).

Posted by: Dulan.5601

Dulan.5601

Everyone saying “You should just use keys”, you need to relax.
I use keys and a gaming mouse, but I understand there are people who don’t.
How will it harm me if there is an option added? Not one bit.
I have an option to run the game with minimum graphics, I don’t use it, but it makes life better for some people.

You’re like people I’ve seen on other games forums saying they don’t use this feature or that feature so they want it removed, no consideration for others!

Peace out!

Posted by: Makadi.8067

Makadi.8067

yes I need this option so we can turn it on or off

Posted by: Teennine.3901

Teennine.3901

I would really like to be able to toggle the tooltips off also.

Posted by: Anunaki.4708

Anunaki.4708

Agree I would like to have the tooltips go away too, clicking has always felt more natural to me.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

OR, and this has to have been brought up in the past but the search function on this forum is all but useless so why bother looking, they could have a UI like LOTRO where you could move all your UI elements around wherever you want or toggle them on/off, or open up the game to addons which would be even better. I would have gotten bored with WoW long before I finally left if I hadn’t spent so much time farting around with my UI.

Edit: Stop clicking your skills!

(edited by Sagramor.7395)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

As a semi-clicker, I agree. I use hotkeys for 1-5 but anything farther than that is simply not comfortable for my left hand so I click, lol.

Posted by: Moderator

Please check date of thread before posting. Posting to old threads is against forum rules. This thread is now locked.