How to get rid of that stupid SMS request??

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Avelione.6075

Avelione.6075

I absolutely hate the idea of giving away my phone number to ANET or to any other company/corporation (and I find this “new safety feature” pretty unreliable anyways). And now, this message keeps stalking me like google+ did back in the day!
I find this method “remind me later” insulting.

How do I get rid of that?
Are they going to FORCE me to give them my phone number? I haven’t signed up for this! I paid for the game to play it, if you want a phone number, give me one and pay for it :/
I love the game (I have 8 characters) but this is evil corporation stuff squeezing its 5 cents to the whole fun! ANET if you’re reading this, you better do something about it!

Equality for the bulge! ^_^

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You can just activate the other method of authentication I believe. At least I have not gotten any prompts to add my phone-number and I have the other one active.

As for the whole situation: Aye, you paid for the game. So did everyone else. And everyone else will get “hurt” when people without good security loses access to their accounts to spammers and hackers.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

What lordkrall said. Use one of the other options. I didn’t give them my number, and I don’t get a prompt asking me for mine.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You can select a different authentication method, eg the desktop one, and then cancel it. Hopefully they will stop reminding you once you’ve flagged as responding.

I don’t know why you’re getting it; I actively wanted it because I thought I had to receive it before I could start SMS and never got it. I had to manually head to my account to get it going.

There’s no way to avoid call spam, y’know. Almost every phone call I get at home is junk even though I’ve signed up for the Do Not Call registry. Caller ID, mmmm. Good stuff. If I don’t recognize the number, I don’t pick up, simple as that. If they have legit business with me they’ll start talking on the answering machine and then I pick up. If you’re on the Do Not Call and someone does call who is not under one of the exceptions? You can report them and they get a lovely fine of something like $15K. (Assuming you are a US resident, that is, as I don’t know what other countries do about call spam).

So I suggest you not worry so much about the number being known to ANet. It’s not going to do anything detrimental to your life.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I don’t know, but it would be nice if they would stop harassing me to set up the SMS authenticator every time I try to load the game.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gold sellers hacking of accounts cost the game big bucks. People get hacked then they contact support and support has to spend the time to help them get their account back then restore the account If it’s the first time they got hacked, and some people get hacked several times. All that costs ANet money to pay those support people and of course they want to reduce both player aggravation and their costs so they are making everyone secure their account.

Just use the other non phone number system they have and the SMS reminder will stop.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Dinks.2478

Gold sellers hacking of accounts cost the game big bucks. People get hacked then they contact support and support has to spend the time to help them get their account back then restore the account If it’s the first time they got hacked, and some people get hacked several times. All that costs ANet money to pay those support people and of course they want to reduce both player aggravation and their costs so they are making everyone secure their account.

Just use the other non phone number system they have and the SMS reminder will stop.

No, gold sellers don’t have anything, stupid people give out their passwords. I’m not a stupid person. I can especially read the giant “Hey, this isn’t from anet” at the bottom of the emails. I don’t need my account secured by bullkitten authenticators and I don’t need to be harassed by anet to use them because they have so many stupid players that they have to assume everybody is stupid.

Almost every day for a while there was a post on reddit or these forums with people like “I got a mail from a GM saying so and so, is this for real?” And in the very same image they linked there was a message at the bottom in big bold letters saying that the mail was not from anet.

Harassing people who don’t fall for that stupidity because of the people that do is not good business.

lordkrall.7241

^ That is of course assuming that those mails are the only way to lose your account.
That is not the case. There is plenty of other ways to lose access, without ever giving out the details to anyone.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, gold sellers don’t have anything, stupid people give out their passwords. I’m not a stupid person. I can especially read the giant “Hey, this isn’t from anet” at the bottom of the emails. I don’t need my account secured by bullkitten authenticators and I don’t need to be harassed by anet to use them because they have so many stupid players that they have to assume everybody is stupid.

Almost every day for a while there was a post on reddit or these forums with people like “I got a mail from a GM saying so and so, is this for real?” And in the very same image they linked there was a message at the bottom in big bold letters saying that the mail was not from anet.

Harassing people who don’t fall for that stupidity because of the people that do is not good business.

What? You think they put in this system for some other reason besides people getting hacked and their accounts stripped? What reason would that be then? It’s certainly not to annoy you personally.

Here is Anet’s officially stated reason for putting in this system.

A new way to protect your account

“Game accounts are worth money to hackers. If they can steal one, they’ll strip it of gold and items, sell those, and then use the stripped account for botting or spamming. You don’t want that to happen to you, and neither do we.

How do they steal the accounts? They start by buying lists of hundreds of millions of possible e?mail address and password combinations, mostly gathered through the many security breaches of websites and game platforms you may have read about in the news, and also collected from malware. Armed with these lists, and with access to many computers and Internet addresses to test from, they make constant log-in attempts to see whether anyone has created a Guild Wars 2 account using an e?mail address and password that’s already on one of the lists.

Just finding a matching e-mail address and password generally isn’t good enough though. When the hacker tries to log in to the account, Guild Wars 2 recognizes that they’re logging in from a new location, and it sends an e-mail to the account holder to verify. But if the hacker can get someone’s Guild Wars 2 password from a list of known passwords, he can usually also get their e-mail account password from that list. Then he can just log in to the e-mail account and click through the verification email."

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

@OP + Drinks
Don’t mind them, all SMS/Authentificator threads that were opened recently work like this:
Player A: “I don’t want the third security layer, please stop asking me!”
Player B→E: “Just do it!!!1!!!11!!”
Payer F (in this case me): “This is not the OP’s problem, you know?”

We have our GW2 account passwords. We also have our email pws. Those are already 2 security layers. One must be a (excuse me) very dumb person to use the same PW on both accounts (now all the key-logger experts will pop up again). Doing a virus/malware scan once in a while is quite complicated I guess. There are so many MMOs that don’t even have a second layer, so why is it, by all means, necessary to urge us to add another one? Give us a third option when you ask for the SMS-thing: “Don’t remind me again” and if someone gets hacked and complains afterwards, tell them you can’t/won’t help since they didn’t protect their accounts like you recommended it. Problem solved.

I can’t believe ppl still get harassed with this, did someone count how many threads were made about this topic?

Dinks.2478

^ That is of course assuming that those mails are the only way to lose your account.
That is not the case. There is plenty of other ways to lose access, without ever giving out the details to anyone.

No, there really isn’t. Nobody is sitting there brute-forcing anet accounts, and if they are that is entirely on anet for allowing it. Especially since anet has had 2 step authorization since a couple of weeks after launch. So basically we have two options, anet isn’t stopping brute force attacks or people are using the same password for everything. Both scenarios indicate avoidable stupidity and have nothing to do with me.

Bringing me back to the original issue, why am I being harassed?

lordkrall.7241

No, there really isn’t. Nobody is sitting there brute-forcing anet accounts, and if they are that is entirely on anet for allowing it. Especially since anet has had 2 step authorization since a couple of weeks after launch. So basically we have two options, anet isn’t stopping brute force attacks or people are using the same password for everything. Both scenarios indicate avoidable stupidity and have nothing to do with me.

So you are claiming that there is no such thing as key-loggers for example?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Dinks.2478

So you are claiming that there is no such thing as key-loggers for example?

Because you install shady software and don’t know how to use the save password feature I should be harassed every time I try to load the game?

lordkrall.7241

Because you install shady software and don’t know how to use the save password feature I should be harassed every time I try to load the game?

And it because people are as naive as this that the 2-step verification is needed in the first place.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here is the official response:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/66122673-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Security

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead

I learned that we’re asking not every log-in, but every fifth time or so. For most people, that means they’re being asked about once a week.

SMS is a highly desirable feature that we strongly encourage every eligible person to take advantage of. There are no plans to allow a complete removal of the reminder, but I’m told you can hit play directly and not deal with the reminder at all. The team will review feedback and may consider changes to the frequency at a later date. Their priorities are on other things right now, but they may visit this in the future.

Good luck.

Dinks.2478

And it because people are as naive as this that the 2-step verification is needed in the first place.

Obviously not, 3 years in my account is perfectly fine. Because I don’t use the same password for everything, I don’t enter my info into obvious fake phishing sites, and I don’t install keyloggers like a fool. But you have an answer for everything. You just sit on these forums and call out anybody who has a criticism against anet. Its like a full time job for you.

Once a week? No I am being harassed to use it once or twice a day. It is unacceptable.

lordkrall.7241

Obviously not, 3 years in my account is perfectly fine. Because I don’t use the same password for everything, I don’t enter my info into obvious fake phishing sites, and I don’t install keyloggers like a fool. But you have an answer for everything. You just sit on these forums and call out anybody who has a criticism against anet. Its like a full time job for you.

Once a week? No I am being harassed to use it once or twice a day. It is unacceptable.

And once again you show extreme naivety.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

“E:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -nopatchui -email emailhere -password passwordhere

?

Dinks.2478

?

So your solution to not having to use the authenticator is to add my account info as clear text in a shortcut solution? This is exactly the type of kitten that causes accounts to be stolen.

Just a flesh wound.3589

From Inculpatus’ post above. you can hit play directly and not deal with the reminder at all.

So, hit play directly. You don’t have to deal with it at all

ANet may give it to you.

Dinks.2478

From Inculpatus’ post above. you can hit play directly and not deal with the reminder at all.

No, That is not the case at all, what happens is you have to press the button to ignore the reminder and then hit play. Then next time you load your game do the same thing, rinse repeat forever.

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, That is not the case at all, what happens is you have to press the button to ignore the reminder and then hit play. Then next time you load your game do the same thing, rinse repeat forever.

What is wrong with setting up the non phone option? Not only is your account more secure but you won’t get those reminders also.

ANet may give it to you.

Dinks.2478

What is wrong with setting up the non phone option? Not only is your account more secure but you won’t get those reminders also.

Shouldn’t have to install shady authenticator software to avoid being harassed.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

You can select a different authentication method, eg the desktop one, and then cancel it. Hopefully they will stop reminding you once you’ve flagged as responding.

Does not work… still getting the reminder.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, If you don’t want to install an authenticator, you can

• override the SMS requests each time
  • wait and see if maybe one day they reduce the frequency of requests
  • stop playing. Because they aren’t going to remove this feature. It saves them in fewer players getting hacked and big bucks in support spending hours fixing the accounts.

If they have to lose the occasional player because of this it’s still better for them as they retain far more players with SMS than the occasional person they lose. There are more losses from players getting hacked and leaving because they either can’t get their account back (not enough identifying info) or they can’t get a restoration (hacked more than one time).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

In the last 2 months alone there has been zero day exploits enabling remote code execution and privilege escalation for OSX, Windows, and Android. That means if you visit a site that either:

• Chooses to display malicious code
  • Got hacked and is displaying malicious code
  • Is displaying content fetched from another site that contains malicious code
    You could get popped. With no action on your part: no visible downloading, no clicking anything, just simply viewing the web page with any browser, even one that is fully up to date.

Its great that you are careful not to get phished. It’s great that you always check to see if you have an HTTPS connection to every site that you are logging into, and that the “l” in the url bar isnt a 1 or the .com isnt a .something else. It’s great that you use the “remember my password” checkbox (mine doesnt seem to work). It’s great that you never download something from CNET or download.com or whatever that might contain piggy back installations.Those are all good practices that go a long way, but …they hardly mean much.

The front pages of CNN, NBC, FoxNews, and Yahoo have all hosted 0day drive by download type malware within the past 2 years. Thousands of people with up to date browsers and antivirus got infected each time, without clicking a thing. And those are just a few popular websites people care about. There is no way to completely avoid exposure to this stuff short of not being on the internet. And good malware is patched and recrypted regularly so the people who are infected might never detect that infection even with up to date anti virus (they better pray they have a suite with good heuristics because you can not rely on signatures alone).

Accounts get farmed with phishing emails and malware that can harvest credentials when you log into this very website, or to your game. The remediation process takes time and money away from development. I don’t want to give them my phone number either (dont we already have “this isnt your normal IP” verification by email?) but dont come on the forums and act like you are immune to a computer intrusion because you “aint stupid” and don’t need a fallback plan.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The reminder only pops up every ~5th login or so, as said by Gaile. It really shouldn’t be an issue.

So your solution to not having to use the authenticator is to add my account info as clear text in a shortcut solution? This is exactly the type of kitten that causes accounts to be stolen.

If you don’t trust the people that use your computer, encrypt your account. If you’re afraid of another program stealing that info, your computer is compromised and you’re just as vulnerable to a keylogger.

No need to install anything. Simply use a javascript authenticator in your browser. Although easy to steal since it would be in plain text, it can also be far more secure than WinAuth or using an app on a mobile device. Simply obfuscate it and display the code somewhere only you know where to look.

Dinks.2478

In the last 2 months alone there has been zero day exploits enabling remote code execution and privilege escalation for OSX, Windows, and Android. That means if you visit a site that either:

You could get popped. With no action on your part: no visible downloading, no clicking anything, just simply viewing the web page with any browser, even one that is fully up to date.

Its great that you are careful not to get phished. It’s great that you always check to see if you have an HTTPS connection to every site that you are logging into, and that the “l” in the url bar isnt a 1 or the .com isnt a .something else. It’s great that you use the “remember my password” checkbox (mine doesnt seem to work). It’s great that you never download something from CNET or download.com or whatever that might contain piggy back installations.Those are all good practices that go a long way, but …they hardly mean much.

The front pages of CNN, NBC, FoxNews, and Yahoo have all hosted 0day drive by download type malware within the past 2 years. Thousands of people with up to date browsers and antivirus got infected each time, without clicking a thing. And those are just a few popular websites people care about. There is no way to completely avoid exposure to this stuff short of not being on the internet. And good malware is patched and recrypted regularly so the people who are infected might never detect that infection even with up to date anti virus (they better pray they have a suite with good heuristics because you can not rely on signatures alone).

Accounts get farmed with phishing emails and malware that can harvest credentials when you log into this very website, or to your game. The remediation process takes time and money away from development. I don’t want to give them my phone number either (dont we already have “this isnt your normal IP” verification by email?) but dont come on the forums and act like you are immune to a computer intrusion because you “aint stupid” and don’t need a fallback plan.

Okay kid, you’re done. The minute you said that people are getting viruses and stuff from no fault of their own your credibility was shot. Stay off of shady sites and you have no issue.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Okay kid, you’re done. The minute you said that people are getting viruses and stuff from no fault of their own your credibility was shot. Stay off of shady sites and you have no issue.

Sometimes legit sites get infected.

Now, you’re not as likely to get infected by going to a legit site, they do try to keep infections off of their site, but it’s never 0% chance of getting infected.

But to claim that that never happens is bad advice to give to people.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

?

While I don’t disagree it’s highly insecure, I would hope your akso realize that if THAT shortcut is accessible to anyone, your GW2 account security should be the LEAST of your security concerns.

I have to agree with Lord here that you are showing a vast level of naivety in your knowledge of of how “secure” you are and your reasoning about how Anets attempts to keep your account secure is nothing more than annoying to you. Also, you do realize that arguing this point in these forums is a waste of your time (assuming you actually WANT someone to do something about your complaint).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I don’t know, but it would be nice if they would stop harassing me to set up the SMS authenticator every time I try to load the game.

It’s every fifth time. The team will review that frequency in the future, but for now we’ll leave it there, given the proven security advantages of authentication.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Kid? That kind of thinking highlights your naivety. Some of us investigate cyber crime for a profession, reverse engineer malware by top APT groups, and help victims remediate their networks after intrusions. You can keep your head in the sand and tell yourself “if I’m careful I’ll never get infected, all malware is spread by user error”, but believing that doesn’t make it true.

Do your homework:

NBC
http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/22/technology/security/nbc-com-hacked-malware/index.html

Yahoo
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/05/tech/yahoo-malware-attack/index.html

Those attacks required no victim interaction other than visiting some of the most popular portals on the web: the browser executes the malicious scripts when rendering the page. You can find plenty more on your own.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

Avelione.6075

It’s every fifth time. The team will review that frequency in the future, but for now we’ll leave it there, given the proven security advantages of authentication.

Why hasn’t the ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead reply directly too me?? Huh? You just leave there the harassing message, not caring if someone wants to use their phone or not??? WTF?! This is not cooperating wit the community at all! And you know it.

I know it doesn’t matter with the amount of the users playing, but with all my love towards the game and my 8 characters (and I wanted to have more) I’m starting to lose a desire to play GW2.

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

Ten years ago this was mostly true. These days this is no longer the case.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/hacking-team-leak-releases-potent-flash-0day-into-the-wild/

The above linked article is simply a case in point, and this comes up with regularity every couple of months now. I used to work IT professionally and specialized in dealing with malware outbreaks on corporate networks. Even then “shady sites” were by no means the only vector for being compromised. Things have only gotten more difficult from a security standpoint since then.

I commend your dedication and attentiveness to your own personal electronic security. However there will always be a tradeoff between convenience and safety with greater levels of security only coming at the sacrifice of convenience. You are unhappy about being inconvenienced and that is understandable. From a business standpoint ANET is required to look at a much larger picture in balancing the tradeoff between the two, and they have chosen to land on the side of greater security at the expense of a measure of user convenience (warnings) and privacy (sharing phone number). While you may deplore ANET’s decision, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the current state of affairs with malware, if nothing else so that you can make educated and informed decisions on how to keep up your already high standards of personal security.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Its very annoying if you have 30 accounts like me. I realize there are not many people with this many accounts, but I imagine trying to force this security option on people will make them feel stressed instead of happy.

Ten years ago this was mostly true. These days this is no longer the case.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/hacking-team-leak-releases-potent-flash-0day-into-the-wild/

The above linked article is simply a case in point, and this comes up with regularity every couple of months now. I used to work IT professionally and specialized in dealing with malware outbreaks on corporate networks. Even then “shady sites” were by no means the only vector for being compromised. Things have only gotten more difficult from a security standpoint since then.

I commend your dedication and attentiveness to your own personal electronic security. However there will always be a tradeoff between convenience and safety with greater levels of security only coming at the sacrifice of convenience. You are unhappy about being inconvenienced and that is understandable. From a business standpoint ANET is required to look at a much larger picture in balancing the tradeoff between the two, and they have chosen to land on the side of greater security at the expense of a measure of user convenience (warnings) and privacy (sharing phone number). While you may deplore ANET’s decision, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the current state of affairs with malware, if nothing else so that you can make educated and informed decisions on how to keep up your already high standards of personal security.

It is still true. If you have plugins like Flash and Java installed it is your own fault if you get a virus. Both are obsolete in the age of Html5.
Furthermore smart people have addons such as Noscript and AdBlock Plus (set to no exceptions) installed for additional security…

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Moira Shalaar.5620

It is still true. If you have plugins like Flash and Java installed it is your own fault if you get a virus. Both are obsolete in the age of Html5.
Furthermore smart people have addons such as Noscript and AdBlock Plus (set to no exceptions) installed for additional security…

I agree with you entirely that script/ad blockers are a necessary tool and that plugins are a flawed and obsolete method of delivering content. Sadly not all content providers have caught up with that fact (insert unnamed major TV streaming site). I linked that article to address the comment that malware can only be encountered through visiting “shady websites” when flash ad distribution of malware has infected computers visiting wholly legitimate websites.

Certainly wise use of best practices will avert the vast majority of internet problems, but unfortunately not all of them. Bringing this back to the topic at hand, multistep authentication is well on its way to becoming one of those commonly accepted best practices, whether we as users like it or not.

Moira Shalaar.5620

Its very annoying if you have 30 accounts like me. I realize there are not many people with this many accounts, but I imagine trying to force this security option on people will make them feel stressed instead of happy..

That is an amazing number of accounts and I can certainly understand where you would have a large measure of . . . administrative overhead . . . trying to implement this kind of security across all of those. May I ask, and only for curiosity sake, how you manage to play across that many accounts? That is a base of 150 characters assuming you haven’t purchased additional slots! Please do not take this as criticism for I certainly mean none.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Please consider, how strange it may sound for some people today, that there are
still people that don’t even own a cell-phone and also don’t want to have one.
Its really annoying to get that message so often.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Seera.5916

There is a desktop version of the authenticator that can be used if a person does not have nor wants a cell phone.

Posted by: okalevi.2917

okalevi.2917

One thing I have noticed, is that it’s not the fifth time per account, but seems more like the fifth time per any login on the same computer. Because I log into my main account (which has multi-factor authentication enabled) far more often than an alternate account, it essentially means that any time I log into my alternate account I get asked to set up MFA. I’ve definitely seen the reminder more often than not, and might even go as far to say that I’ve never not seen the reminder when logging into that account.

I went ahead and set it up on my alternate account today, so this is no longer going to be an issue for me, since the main thing stopping me from doing so was just laziness, but the factor of it not being per-account may be part of the reason that people find it so noticeable. I don’t know how feasible it would be to change the reminder to come up on a per account basis, but that could possibly alleviate the issue for people who have multiple accounts.

That said, I am in full support of having MFA in place and I’m glad this feature was added.

Okale Refor | Tater Spudbringer | Boops Boops | Hot Like Tater Tot

Officer of Flux Capacity [FLUX] – http://fluxcapacity.enjin.com

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If one does not travel much, or does not play Guild Wars when away from home much, one can set up SMS on a landline. No need for a cell phone.

I’m one of those odd ducks that does not own a cell phone. I use landline SMS for my accounts that won’t travel with me, and WinAuth for those that will.

Good luck.

Avelione.6075

I am not happy how I didn’t get reply from Gaile Gray myself, they clearly ignored my questions and concerns. Shame on you.

But I did get one advice from a player, that actually worked. Thank you!

You can GET RID OF THAT STUPID SMS QUESTION without giving them your MOBILE PHONE OR LANDLINE NUMBER .
The information here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147576-E-mail-Authentication is a bit unclear but I figured it out and used an alternative for authentication. There are FOUR methods of doing this.

Funny how they keep on pushing people on giving away their phone number. As if periodical, annoying message was an acceptable method of encouraging people to do things.
Imagine your friend doing so. You would smack them in the face after a few times… Such a google+ way, except google+ was asking me EVERY time I logged in to youtube.

I play GW2 everyday to like every 3 days, so I was getting this pretty often. So far, the message hasn’t showed up and I hope it stays that way.

I’ll remember this “incident”.

Avelione. Over and out. ;p

Seera.5916

I am not happy how I didn’t get reply from Gaile Gray myself, they clearly ignored my questions and concerns. Shame on you.

But I did get one advice from a player, that actually worked. Thank you!

You can GET RID OF THAT STUPID SMS QUESTION without giving them your MOBILE PHONE OR LANDLINE NUMBER .
The information here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147576-E-mail-Authentication is a bit unclear but I figured it out and used an alternative for authentication. There are FOUR methods of doing this.

Funny how they keep on pushing people on giving away their phone number. As if periodical, annoying message was an acceptable method of encouraging people to do things.
Imagine your friend doing so. You would smack them in the face after a few times… Such a google+ way, except google+ was asking me EVERY time I logged in to youtube.

I play GW2 everyday to like every 3 days, so I was getting this pretty often. So far, the message hasn’t showed up and I hope it stays that way.

I’ll remember this “incident”.

Avelione. Over and out. ;p

Because Gaile Gray and the rest of the ANet team is busy with other stuff and players in this thread had mentioned a non-SMS alternatives (authenticators). Just because you ask for a response from ANet doesn’t mean you’ll get it or everyone and their mother will ask for an ANet response on every little thing even if it’s a question that can be easily answered by players.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I hope that email authentication works out for you, as others have reported it did not stop the SMS messages.

Good luck.

Seera.5916

I hope that email authentication works out for you, as others have reported it did not stop the SMS messages.

Good luck.

Yea, I’ve got email authentication and I still get the SMS messages.

Avelione.6075

Because Gaile Gray and the rest of the ANet team is busy with other stuff and players in this thread had mentioned a non-SMS alternatives (authenticators). Just because you ask for a response from ANet doesn’t mean you’ll get it or everyone and their mother will ask for an ANet response on every little thing even if it’s a question that can be easily answered by players.

I started THIS thread and it has over a 1000 views by now. Why would they bother to answer someone else then if replying me could help all these confused people?

I never wanted a reply from ANet directly, it just angered me that since they had time to show up in MY thread, I was ignored! And I was seriously concerned I’m going to be FORCED to give them my number, because.

And many people keep on having this SMS message problem anyways, despite using instructions given by ANet. The problem is not solved yet.

And this whole policy of suggestively enforcing people to give away their phone number shows LACK OF RESPECT TOWARDS PLAYERS. Something that people here seem not to realize.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Then use an authenticator @Avelione and problem solved.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

https://winauth.com/download/

Make sure however to note your key somewhere just in case you reinstall your
windows without having backups.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.