How to help color blind players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Hi everyone,

I learned a few players that I help are color blind. So when I’m teaching them how to do dungeon runs and I run into an issue with informing them about aoe circles. Here is an example, AC Path 2 final boss uses white AoE circles and red ones. Sometimes the red hostile aoe circles overlap with the white circles. So they found it difficult to tell what AoE circles to avoid because to them, they were both white. So two things:

1) Does anyone have experience explaining to a color blind player what circles to avoid? If so, what do you tell them?
2) For Anet, maybe making friendly aoe circles pulse slowly might be a solution? Or possibly change all red aoe circles to the orange filled circles you used for Triple Wurm?

If anyone have any suggestions to help colorblind players, please let Anet know here. Thanks everyone for your help!

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

just avoid circles all together? dunno really, but the pulsating thing seems nice

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Use darker colours ? generally I think there are fewer issues in viewing darker colours.

Midnight fire and shadow abyss dyes look the same!!!!

reapex.8546

Use darker colours ? generally I think there are fewer issues in viewing darker colours. Midnight fire and shadow abyss dyes look the same!!!!

Since, I’m not colorblind I had no idea that this was true. The aoe circles are already red, I’m not sure they can make the red darker. If they did, non color blind players would complain about the red aoe circle being hard to see. Good info though, thank you.

reapex.8546

just avoid circles all together? dunno really, but the pulsating thing seems nice

The reason this wouldn’t work is because some aoe circles are beneficial for the player. Like Necro wells or Guardian’s symbols, reminds me of when players would run away from people trying to heal them due to aoe confusion. Thanks though

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

Anet should add a color blind tick box in options that changes the color of the circles, a simple, easy add that would be greatly effective.

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

reapex.8546

Anet should add a color blind tick box in options that changes the color of the circles, a simple, easy add that would be greatly effective.

That would be great, if it was an option then I could say avoid orange aoe circles lol (if they were colored orange).