How to make money via gliders

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Icethorn.6570

Icethorn.6570

Here is a method for ANET to make lots of money through the glider system which all of us would actually enjoy.

Create a glider editing app.
Allow the modding community to create custom gliders out of various materials.
Have weekly or monthly competitions for the best gliders.
Vote on best gliders.
Have those gliders be submitted to the TP so the community can purchase them.

Profit…

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

How would Anet make sure nothing obscene gets created? And I assume you mean sell on the Gem Store rather than the TP?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

How would Anet make sure nothing obscene gets created? And I assume you mean sell on the Gem Store rather than the TP?

I assume because OP meant they are put on the Gem Store after they are judged and won.

What I don’t understand is, why have to have an App for it? Why not cut the cost of it by not creating an App and just let people draw designs instead and enter them in the competition?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Weekly gliders?
Really?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Well for that matter how does Anet make sure that guild names aren’t obscene? Or guild halls? Ever heard of:Statue+ shatterer crystal+2chack eyes? Just because it could be used in such a manner does not validate it not being implementing. Otherwise we need to kill off the most obscene, vulgar and abusive feature of this game:
the chat.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s probably cheaper for Anet to pay one artist to design a new glider skin once a month or so than to run a competition.

I assume the thinking is that more players would buy it if it was a competition winner rather than ‘just another glider’ but honestly I think most people’s first priority would be what it looks like. I can’t imagine many people would buy an ugly glider just because another player designed it, and equally I can’t imagine they’d pass up a nice one just because it’s ‘yet another glider’ created by someone at Anet.

In fact, come to think of it since many of my friends are artists or graphic designers I’d be more inclined to buy something where the creator got paid for it, rather than encourage companies to outsource paid work to aspiring artists online who won’t get paid but will get told they’ve “won” the chance to see their work being used to make a profit for other people.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”