How to make the world more interesting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Disclaimer:
This is a proposed fix for one of the issues the game has, which I have highlighted in a previous post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Communicating-with-you/page/12#post4326737

The desired effect should please both people who play the content because of the gameplay and people who play the content because of the reward.
Also, people who like the current implementation should still be able to do the majority of the current events like they’re used to.
I know I’m asking for much here, but I think this is the right way to make normal PvE desirable again.
I’m not aiming for mass events that require or support huge zergs trampling over the map.
I rather want to encourage and aim for smaller groups of players doing different things simultaneously.

I will use the Blazeridge Steppes and the Shatterer as examples to illustrate my proposed changes at the end of my post.

The Issue:

The normal PvE maps in their current state are neither rewarding nor challenging or thrilling. Some maps don’t fill any specific purpose, they exist, you can farm the existing parts, but that’s about it.
Now we can’t just go ahead and buff the gold, karma and experience reward because it would not only hurt the economy badly, but it also wouldn’t please the players seeking for adventure.

The Solution:

Local Currencies:

• Local currencies for maps or areas
  • The currency get rewarded through events or Heartquests
  • The currency can be traded at local merchants for local armor, level appropriate crafting materials and other items
  • The local currency can be exchanged for gold
    • The exchange rate should never offer the most gold out of all content but bring the reward from the open PvE on the same level as other ways to make gold
    • The exchange ratio drops with each exchange, so that players are forced to spread around the whole world in order to get the maximum reward

Huge Eventchains:

• Add lots of new events that are tied into an eventchain, so that singel events don’t recur that fast
  • Multiple layers of eventchains
    • First Layer: Current events without an eventchain
    • Second Layer: Maineventchain, which spans the whole map
    • Additional Layers for additional eventchains
  • Layers should be connected among themselves
  • The main eventchain should end with a grand finale

Oldschool Quests:

• Add quests that have to be activated talking with a NPC and have to be completed the same way
    • Use this type of quests to implement quests that require you to travel a lot
    • The NPC activating the quest and the NPC completing the quest don’t have to be the same NPC, and oughtn’t

Cross-Map Events:

• Implement events, that cross map borders
    • Save the list of players participated in one event to place them on the same map whilst map-change as the event is placed

Heart Quests:

• Heartquests should be repeatable on voluntary basis
  • If successfully repeated, a Heartquest should grant a small amount of the local currency or one fre item from the Heartvendor

Further Event Design:

• Current world bosses (except Triple Trouble) should be tied into eventchains as grand finale
    • This should counter the “check list mentality” of the current worlboss events
    • The main eventchain should last for atleast 30 minutes, more than one hour would be optimal
  • A buff that stacks upon succeeding events of each eventchain should be implemented
    • At the end of the eventchain each player get additional reward based on the stacks of the buff
    • The additional reward should be worth while, so that each player aims for participating in all events of the eventchain

Example:
Let’s take Blazeridge Steppes as example: Initially, the map gets flooded by branded and random events pop up to hold the branded at bay.
The main eventchain starts from the south, dispelling the branded. When the eventchain reaches the Wreckage of Serenity, a minor eventchain starts simultaneously, dealing with the ascalonian ghosts. When the eventchain reaches the ogre, a minor eventchain starts, which addresses the ogre and their needs.
Halfway through the eventchain, we have to deal with a minor worldboss, a champion branded, which tests the stenght of the players. At the end of the eventchain the Shatterer spawns and the players have to defeat him in order to complete the eventchain.
The merchant for local currencies should offer the player Sentinel themed armor, level appropriate crafting materials, an exchange for gold or special items (like items needed for the precursor craft, if added some day).

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Local Currencies”
I really don’t think we need more currencies, honestly. Oh, I’m sure we’ll continue to get more with the LS, and geodes sort of fit your general idea here. However, can you imagine having something like that for every map? It would become a serious hassle, and considering none of these ‘local’ currencies would likely be added to the wallet, it would make bank and bag space even more of a premium for some people.

“Huge event chains” / “Cross map events”
I’m on board with these. I’ve asked for more event webs, and cross map event webs myself. Some of them could be targeted at those that have completed the game, as an enticement back to specific areas. Maybe continuations of events that happen at the zone level even. Although, this could pose some issues.

“Old School Quests” / “Repeatable hearts”
I’m sort of “meh” on these.

There are plenty of events that you have to actually talk to the npc to kick it off, though it doesn’t require you to talk to anyone at the end to get the reward. Its essentially the same thing, and I sort of prefer this implementation method a bit better personally. I’m really not a huge fan of ‘talk to person a’, now run across 2 maps to talk to ‘person b’ to walk over to talk to ‘person c’ for ‘x’ reward.

As long as the hearts didn’t ‘reset’ or suddenly show up and not complete, I’m ok with making them repeatable. Obviously they’d have to be extremely careful about balancing rewards from this, and how often someone could do a specific heart, otherwise this could easily turn into an exploitable farm that could be potentially more lucrative than other components of the game.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Chain events – there are maps with Chained events – Think Harathi Hinterlands and Orr. This is already done. And yes the Orr invasion is a cross map event.

I mean nothing you have suggested makes the game interesting. Many people would say that what you are suggesting makes the game more dull.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I’m talking about an ideal setup here, so ofcourse, the local currencies should be added to the wallet. It should in fact work like the Geodes work now, with the difference that the events aren’t time gated and that you can buy better rewards with Geodes.

As for the oldschool quest sytem, the current system is good if you have one set place, but you can’t connect multiple places in one quest, and that’s the way I want to use this type of quest.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I second the vote against more currencies.

The wallet would become totally unmanageable if 20-30 new currencies would be added, one for each explorable zone already in the game.

Yes, it is technically feasible, but it would not be very user-friendly.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m talking about an ideal setup here, so ofcourse, the local currencies should be added to the wallet. It should in fact work like the Geodes work now, with the difference that the events aren’t time gated and that you can buy better rewards with Geodes.

As for the oldschool quest sytem, the current system is good if you have one set place, but you can’t connect multiple places in one quest, and that’s the way I want to use this type of quest.

You know, making Mawdry in some ways feels more like an old school quest and it’s definitely interzone. I wonder if we won’t see more stuff like this as opposed to traditional quests.

HHR LostProphet.4801

Chain events – there are maps with Chained events – Think Harathi Hinterlands and Orr. This is already done. And yes the Orr invasion is a cross map event.

I mean nothing you have suggested makes the game interesting. Many people would say that what you are suggesting makes the game more dull.

The chainevents in Harathi Hinterlands are good but they neither give additional reward, nor do they prevent players from waiting at the endboss for the chain to finish, nor is the eventchain long enough to please players anymore.

The Orr chain is another example. The eventchain is there, but there is no reason for you to stick around for the whole chain.

As for your personal oppinion, that these eventchains will make the game more dull:
No I really don’t think so. The game lacks reason to go to normal PvE maps, both from a reward centric perspective, as from an adventure centric perspective. The proposed changes deal with both issues.
Note that I don’t want to bomb the map with new events, but I want them connected and I don’t want the events to get repeated so often. Thus I want more events, so that each recur-timer can be longer.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Now we can’t just go ahead and buff the gold, karma and experience reward because it would not only hurt the economy badly, but it also wouldn’t please the players seeking for adventure.

Actually this is a myth because the economy is already unstable. it’s well over the top with the haves being a tiny few controlling most things while the have nots (ie new players) are pretty much locked into buying gems to get anything done. That’s why it’s broken.

trust me they don’t need more currencies what they need is better use of the currencies they have now. Karma was fine it’s the whole problem of getting enough of it and buying things we actually need without hitting the RNG wall a second time. At no time has anyone gone to the grocery store in real life and bought a bag full of mystery groceries and actually found something useful in that bag, the same can be said about anything, like if you’re working on your car and you need tools you don’t go to the car parts store and buy a few bags of car tools only to discover there’s a hammer some nails and a saw in the bag. That’s the problem WAY too much RNG for things needed for crafting.

Then there’s the whole problem of gold, when you complete a map for example or a daily, you shouldn’t get a dime as the reward. That’s the most insulting rewards system I’ve ever played and changing the type of gear you get like they are doing in this feature pack is not cutting it I’m sorry. The stingy system of rewards in this game shouldn’t continue.

There’s also a campaign whether intended or not to focus farming locations in places that the majority of the playerbase never go (and I’m sorry but you all know that PVE open world is the majority that’s just plain statistics it’s like that in every game out there). When DR and restricting or nerfing loot is the most important things on the companies mind there’s a problem with their rewards system it’s plain as day. Now what they could do is make getting karma more fun, like by changing the racial armors to karma cost, making it possible to buy essential sigils/runes instead of making those all done by crafting which drives up the price on many of them and makes it so much more difficult to respec especially for new players if they made a booboo while speccing the first time.

It’s not so much just drops it’s also the vendors and what one can buy to get started or to even find skins one likes, it gets so costly that sometimes there’s no possible way to get what one needs without having to spend gold and forget trying to farm you’ll get perma DR on your account with no cooldown indicator.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I dont think new currencies are necessarily the right way to go.

Instead, I would like to see them apply the reward track system from PvP into PVE (and possibly into WvW as well). It seems very flexible and fits well with the “play your way” mantra.

Note that I do think there should be a couple of reward tracks unique to each game mode (like the Balthazar backpiece and new tournament armor tracks in PvP).

HHR LostProphet.4801

You know, making Mawdry in some ways feels more like an old school quest and it’s definitely interzone. I wonder if we won’t see more stuff like this as opposed to traditional quests.

I do like the way they’ve set up the Mawdry crafting, so I’m fine with that.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I second the vote against more currencies.

The wallet would become totally unmanageable if 20-30 new currencies would be added, one for each explorable zone already in the game.

Yes, it is technically feasible, but it would not be very user-friendly.

They could probably reduce it to “region” currencies, thinking about it. But even then, it would still probably be a hassle. I mean, with the addition of dry top, we’re sitting at 6 “regions” right now and we don’t have any clue how many more we may actually get.

Beyond that, people are going to want some type of currency exchange (people are already calling for such with the currencies we have), which if they opted to oblige would be just that much more work to create and manage. Then there’s the question of, should the exchange rate vary? Should one currency become “less valuable” vs another currency if one region gets over farmed and a lot of it exists while the other does not? It would make sense, and it would probably use a similar code to the gold – gems exchanges, so its plausible to do.

Ow, my head hurts now.

I like the concept. I don’t like soooooo many flaming hoops, maybe if there were just a couple less in future implementations. I’m good with that.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve said all along this quest needs less immediate, more involved types of quests. But I shy away from traditional type quests.

Ideally it would be interested to see Pact quests eventually, that cross the entire world. Of course, some of the Living Story stuff is doing something like that now too, so I guess it’s starting.

HHR LostProphet.4801

For all who say that new currencies aren’t the way to go: New currencies are an ideal and crucial tool to create new reward outside of gold.
Gold as reward is way too dominating, it can be used almost everywhere, and that’s bad.
I’ve put a lot of thought into the system and I can assure you, the benefits of new currencies outshine the disadvantage of having a cluttered wallet.

Local currencies will drive the players to play in the specific area they want loot of, local currencies enable local rewards, such as local themed armor.
This can’t be replicated with gold.

HHR LostProphet.4801

Beyond that, people are going to want some type of currency exchange (people are already calling for such with the currencies we have), which if they opted to oblige would be just that much more work to create and manage. Then there’s the question of, should the exchange rate vary? Should one currency become “less valuable” vs another currency if one region gets over farmed and a lot of it exists while the other does not? It would make sense, and it would probably use a similar code to the gold – gems exchanges, so its plausible to do.

Funny thing is, if you would’ve read my initial post carefully, I’ve proposed exactly that.

But think of it this way: In Frostgorge Sound, the local currency could come from the Kodan, which lets you buy different sets of Kodan themed armor and tier 6 crafting materials and a bunch of other stuff you could need.

In Wayfarer Foothills, Snowden Drifts and Lornar’s Pass a local currency of the northern Norn could be established, which lets you buy northern Norn themed armor and so on.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

For all who say that new currencies aren’t the way to go: New currencies are an ideal and crucial tool to create new reward outside of gold.
Gold as reward is way too dominating, it can be used almost everywhere, and that’s bad.
I’ve put a lot of thought into the system and I can assure you, the benefits of new currencies outshine the disadvantage of having a cluttered wallet.

Local currencies will drive the players to play in the specific area they want loot of, local currencies enable local rewards, such as local themed armor.

And then what becomes the point of gold? Its intent is to be a game wide currency, which your suggestion intentionally circumvents. If you now have to use these local currencies, gold suddenly holds very little value.

Funny thing is, if you would’ve read my initial post carefully, I’ve proposed exactly that.

But is it a wise idea? You mention converting currency to gold, but you don’t mention converting gold to another currency. Would that be an option? If not, and we have to go currency to currency (Krytan to Ascalonian for example), does this not undervalue gold that much more?

And what of Karma? How does this poor undervalued currency fit in? Or do you suggest simply scrapping it altogether?

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

The wallet currently holds 16 currencies. There have also been a number of temporary event currencies, as well as things like Pristine Fractal Relics, Black Lion Ticket Scraps and Skill Points.

How many more currencies can be added without a new player becoming confused by the sheer multitude of currencies, and no knowledge of what can be bought with which currency?

HHR LostProphet.4801

And then what becomes the point of gold? Its intent is to be a game wide currency, which your suggestion intentionally circumvents. If you now have to use these local currencies, gold suddenly holds very little value.

All things that can be currently bought with gold, can also be bought past this change.
What the game needs is local reward, to drive the players in the local area. If you could buy all local stuff with with a global currency, you could simply farm in just one area of the map and buy things from every other area, which you’re not supposed to do.

HHR LostProphet.4801

The wallet currently holds 16 currencies. There have also been a number of temporary event currencies, as well as things like Pristine Fractal Relics, Black Lion Ticket Scraps and Skill Points.

How many more currencies can be added without a new player becoming confused by the sheer multitude of currencies, and no knowledge of what can be bought with which currency?

Small improvements to the wallet UI would fix the problem.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

All things that can be currently bought with gold, can also be bought past this change.
What the game needs is local reward, to drive the players in the local area. If you could by all local stuff with with a global currency, you could simply farm in just one area of the map and buy things from every other area, which you’re not supposed to do.

I don’t think this would have the overall affect you’re looking for. Especially if you can still just purchase everything for gold (you’re biggest complaint it seems) as people will just farm whatever is easiest for them, convert it to gold and the trend continues.

Even if each region offered something specific that you could only get via this currency, it still wouldn’t solve your issue. People would convert via the currency exchange, wait for it to put on the TP if it were tradable, or simply find the most efficient speed clear option. It’d be no different than dungeons or karma trains, where people only run a specific path and leave the rest to rot.

HHR LostProphet.4801

But is it a wise idea? You mention converting currency to gold, but you don’t mention converting gold to another currency. Would that be an option? If not, and we have to go currency to currency (Krytan to Ascalonian for example), does this not undervalue gold that much more?

And what of Karma? How does this poor undervalued currency fit in? Or do you suggest simply scrapping it altogether?

No, I neither think you should be able to exchange gold for a local curreny, nor should you be able to exchange currency for currency. The whole reason for local currencies is to drive the player into areas he wants loot of. If you could exchange gold for currencies or currencies for currencies, you’re undermining that aspect.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe make the currencies dungeon tokens, one token for one event. The dungeon vendor can be updated to sell any new regional reward items as well as the rares and exotics he already has.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I agree.

Well, that is your opinion.

I agree that the game should focus more on currencies/items that are not interchangeable with gold/gems, but I do not think that we should have a lot more of local currencies because it would clutter the wallet too much.

Greetings.

HHR LostProphet.4801

Even if each region offered something specific that you could only get via this currency, it still wouldn’t solve your issue. People would convert via the currency exchange, wait for it to put on the TP if it were tradable, or simply find the most efficient speed clear option. It’d be no different than dungeons or karma trains, where people only run a specific path and leave the rest to rot.

I think that can be countered by creating new types of loot.
New armorskins are one aspect of this, armor with stats that are slightly better than their counterparts level-wise could be another. Those items shouldn’t be traded obviously. Getting gold by exchanging a local currency should also still be a huge driving facor. The exchange rate of each currency can be influenced, so that lesser exchanged currencies grant more gold.

HHR LostProphet.4801

Maybe make the currencies dungeon tokens, one token for one event. The dungeon vendor can be updated to sell any new regional reward items as well as the rares and exotics he already has.

That would be one idea, yes. But the problem is that the currencies then have to be leveled out with the armor they already grant.

Well, that is your opinion.

I agree that the game should focus more on currencies/items that are not interchangeable with gold/gems, but I do not think that we should not have a lot more of local currencies because it would clutter the wallet too much.

Greetings.

That can be countered easily with a better wallet UI. Local currencies that don’t belong in the area you’re in could be grayed out, currencies could also be ordered by global currencies, local currencies and dungeon currencies.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I dont think new currencies are necessarily the right way to go.

Instead, I would like to see them apply the reward track system from PvP into PVE (and possibly into WvW as well). It seems very flexible and fits well with the “play your way” mantra.

Note that I do think there should be a couple of reward tracks unique to each game mode (like the Balthazar backpiece and new tournament armor tracks in PvP).

The problem with reward track is, that they only reward you for specific things you do. Currencies as reward could be added to everything if the devs think it would fit in.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think that can be countered by creating new types of loot.
New armorskins are one aspect of this, armor with stats that are slightly better than their counterparts level-wise could be another. Those items shouldn’t be traded obviously. Getting gold by exchanging a local currency should also still be a huge driving facor. The exchange rate of each currency can be influenced, so that lesser exchanged currencies grant more gold.

It’s plausible. New armor skins might drive people back to certain regions, and I would make them regional currecnies over map specific. Region specific armors aren’t something I’m opposed to, considering I’ve been asking for more armors in game for months now.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Tnx Lostprophet for making the thread I thought I would make today (and dawned on me while I was trying to fall asleep last night). But there are 2 things missing from your OP that I would have added to my own thread:

1. Rebalancing the scale-down feature; I think this is needed to make more content somewhat of a challenge once you reach lvl80. Without a rebalance (omitting whether it has to be large or small) most of these systems would turn into a farm-drag.

2. I would have put a link to all the threads that are currently running and dealing with each individual issue. This is how I came to why this thread would be useful, aka. to provide a more general overview of what could be done (or has been suggested recently) to make the PvE world more viable content.

Linking to these threads would prevent redoing these discussions here, and would prevent this thread to turn into a mishmash of several discussions on all the various topics (basically turn into the unstructured format that the CDI threads seem to suffer from).

Other than that, I think you nailed the overview. And besides an increase in the quality of the LS, these issues/solution to the PvE-world problem are the highest up on my list of ‘what needs to improve to GW2’. Right above more skills to provide more customization and build options.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Arghore.8340

Here some of my feedback & suggestions based upon the OP’s list.

Local Currencies
I think local currencies might well be what can help make the open world more interesting for a longer time, though I see more in regional currencies. I would say there are roughly 5 regions: Maguma, Kryta, ShiverPeaks, Ascalon, Orr. So 5 currencies might be enough. Each with a set of regional rewards, going from low level rewards towards long time lvl80 rewards.

I think a link with dungeon tokens, might well be a good thing, and vice-versa (linking dungeon tokens to regional tokens). Perhaps a 2to1 exchange ratio, both ways at a reward-vendor, could make each reward set exclusive enough to it’s content yet make it also able to get to these rewards in a different way.

Huge event chains
This would be a nice addition to the game, I think there are various larger groups of foes that would suit themselves for having longer event chains. Yet again, not all maps suit themselves for ‘DryTop’ & ‘Hinterland’ style content.

The idea of layered events sounds a lot like the idea of a ‘tiered’ approach to events. Where each tier comes with a set of tier appropriate events, completion of events counts towards keeping or lowering the tier, failure or not completing events counts towards scaling the tier up. This latter version of ‘huge event chains’ would be more suitable for more diverse maps.

Cross Map Event Chains
Unfortunately the Megaserver made it impossible to have cross map events. In an attempt to solve this I suggested a ‘Shadow Server’ approach, this shadow server would keep track of all progress in all instances of the map, and based upon the progress of each instance it would start off events in other maps.

While it sounds doable I do not know if it actually is, but I do agree that cross map events is part of the key to having more meaningful and larger event chains.

Oldskool quests
Personally I do not think a ‘talk to – return’ kind of quest would be favourable for GW2, the whole idea of GW2 is to get away from them. Yet, the idea of ‘Quests’ as content does appeal to me. I think the Mordrem backpack was a decent stab at a format of a quest that could work (aka. item drops that provide a trail of story driven tasks).

A quest format would also be a nice way to provide meaningful content to the Orders, they are desperately asking for an additional purpose, deepening of their background, and a great way to add content based upon personal choices within the story.

Hearts
A personal reset of hearts would make this content regain it’s original purpose: guiding people to Dynamic Events, and provide some background to local events.

I think these hearts could also be a place to introduce more longer term karma rewards at their vendors. Though I will say that karma is currently the most viable way to attain the crafting materials needed to refine ascended crafting materials. So adding longer term karma rewards would put pressure on attaining these materials.

Further Event Design
I would like to add that I personally think that the LS may well be a decent way to deliver more Events. Though that would have to happen in a more intricate way than it is done in the current LS2, as it adds events that ‘stand alone’ and correspond with the story at hand. Where I would rather see that existing events become influenced by the LS, by adding or changing certain events based upon what happens in the LS, but would also make sense outside the scope of the story.

Sure that is a rather large challenge, but there are numerous ways to have the LS visit an area and introduce event chains, or tiers, that make sense in both the LS scope as well as the normal world. Also, something being a challenge should not be a reason to shy away from it.

Arghore.8340

Well, nice to see ‘Collecting Achievements’ isn’t on any of our lists … means there is even more to make the world more interesting ^^