How to report a guild name?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

I once had a bad kitten name with the word MILF on it, but somehow Anet forced me to change it. Now I see lots of people running with the guild named:

• Your mom is my legendary mount (MILF)

So, if I can’t have a nice name with the word MILF on it why do lots of people do?
What the kitten is wrong with you Anet?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

First, the names have to be reported before ANet knows about them.
Second, ANet changed their rules on name some time back and now lets more names go through.

So, if you think your guild name falls under the newer, more relaxed naming system then make a ticket and ask to have your guild name changed back. Otherwise, you can make a ticket and report Guild names/tags that are against ToS.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Some names you just can’t have…. Like this one. I wanted to PvP and go on a rampage so it would say “(refer to pic) is on a Rampage”….

(Anet was quick on this one the cheeky quaggans, tried to make it a day after elections)

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

That’s funny, I saw this guild name a few days ago and didn’t know how to report it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Anet have said before you can report all types of names through the report option. They’ll check the character name, guild name and ranger pet names (if applicable).

Of course you won’t hear back from them, they never tell the person who reported a player what the outcome was, but they’ll see it and if they think it’s inappropriate they’ll act on it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Anet have said before you can report all types of names through the report option. They’ll check the character name, guild name and ranger pet names (if applicable).

Of course you won’t hear back from them, they never tell the person who reported a player what the outcome was, but they’ll see it and if they think it’s inappropriate they’ll act on it.

I’ve always been mildly sceptical of this assertion. It requires the busy support person to remember that when someone is reported for the character name that the report isn’t actually for the character name. It also sounds like a time waster as it makes the support person check the character name (and google it for not obvious or other language meanings), check all the ranger pets (and google those), check up 5 guilds (and google those).

In addition I once reported a char for a guild name and nothing was done, until I followed it up later with a ticket reporting the guild itself.

And of course the report fails if they leave the guild or temporarily change the pet name before support checks it.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve always been mildly sceptical of this assertion. It requires the busy support person to remember that when someone is reported for the character name that the report isn’t actually for the character name. It also sounds like a time waster as it makes the support person check the character name (and google it for not obvious or other language meanings), check all the ranger pets (and google those), check up 5 guilds (and google those).

In addition I once reported a char for a guild name and nothing was done, until I followed it up later with a ticket reporting the guild itself.

And of course the report fails if they leave the guild or temporarily change the pet name before support checks it.

How long do you think it takes for the support person to generate a list of all the person’s characters and guilds and pets?

And just because you or I think a name is offensive doesn’t mean it reaches ANet’s threshold for taking action. (I mean, generally, I’d trust your judgement more than a first tier support person, but that alone isn’t enough to suggest anyone at ANet isn’t doing their job well for the vast majority of tickets they see.)

More than one senior ANet person has stated that they check several things when using the in-game /report function and I’m willing to believe that until there’s compelling evidence otherwise.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

How long do you think it takes for the support person to generate a list of all the person’s characters and guilds and pets?

And just because you or I think a name is offensive doesn’t mean it reaches ANet’s threshold for taking action. (I mean, generally, I’d trust your judgement more than a first tier support person, but that alone isn’t enough to suggest anyone at ANet isn’t doing their job well for the vast majority of tickets they see.)

More than one senior ANet person has stated that they check several things when using the in-game /report function and I’m willing to believe that until there’s compelling evidence otherwise.

It’s not the time to generate all the names. It’s the time to check the char name, all the the pet names and all the guild names by knowing or googling or checking other languages for each and every name instead of a char name or a pet name or a guild name along with a specific description as to why that particular name is offensive.

And just because you or I think a name is offensive doesn’t mean it reaches ANet’s threshold for taking action.

Irrelevant. I was talking about time to check and remembering to check not about if support agrees with the person finding the name offensive.

More than one senior ANet person has stated that they check several things when using the in-game /report function

And in sure they usually do, but again its support remembering to check all possible things for all possible ways they could be offensive when they’re busy and the next ticket and the next ticket and the next ticket is waiting for their attention. (Especially if there’s a quota of tickets they need to do each hour). Remember, I gave an example of a guild name that wasn’t actioned on a regular report. It needed a follow up ticket with an explanation.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Remember, I gave an example of a guild name that wasn’t actioned on a regular report. It needed a follow up ticket with an explanation.

Sure, since not all “offenses” would be easy for someone to spot.

There are two distinct issues:

• Do all names get checked?
  • Do any names get thoroughly checked.

ANet has said that all names do get checked. I trust them on that.

They haven’t ever commented on the thoroughness of their checks. I have to assume that they won’t get the issue unless it’s explained to them or it’s obvious.

For example, I’d be willing to assume that they’ll have a list of common racist terms, a list of things that they have blocked multiple times, and a list of banned curse words translated into various languages.

I assume that they aren’t familiar with anything subtle, including partially misspelled words, uncommon terms, or uncommon languages. For that, I would always use a support ticket.

tl;dr if the offense is obvious, use the in-game too, regardless of whether it’s a pet, a character, or a guild. If you think there’s any chance that it’s not obvious, use a support ticket.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Remember, I gave an example of a guild name that wasn’t actioned on a regular report. It needed a follow up ticket with an explanation.

Sure, since not all “offenses” would be easy for someone to spot.

There are two distinct issues:

• Do all names get checked?
  • Do any names get thoroughly checked.

ANet has said that all names do get checked. I trust them on that.

They haven’t ever commented on the thoroughness of their checks. I have to assume that they won’t get the issue unless it’s explained to them or it’s obvious.

For example, I’d be willing to assume that they’ll have a list of common racist terms, a list of things that they have blocked multiple times, and a list of banned curse words translated into various languages.

I assume that they aren’t familiar with anything subtle, including partially misspelled words, uncommon terms, or uncommon languages. For that, I would always use a support ticket.

tl;dr if the offense is obvious, use the in-game too, regardless of whether it’s a pet, a character, or a guild. If you think there’s any chance that it’s not obvious, use a support ticket.

This, I believe, to be a difference in how we see the world and I doubt we’ll convince the other. Yours is ANet has said that all names do get checked. I trust them on that. Mine is that upper management makes policy and in a well run company management does try to ensure that policy is followed. However my belief, based on usual work standards, is that support has quotas of number of tickets or time per ticket (and a penalty if they go outside these limits) and that in these situations not all reported accounts will be thoroughly worked. That a number will inevitably be closed early with a perfunctory check in favor of tickets that are more urgent or to keep within the time/numbers quotas and that this would be lessened by a more precise reporting system

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Really? I’ve never seen the quotes where someone from the CS Team states that all names, pet, Guild and/or character, are checked when reporting ‘Character Name’ (which is the only in-game Report option).

Has anyone a link (or two)? I’d love to quote them over in Account Support. Thanks.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, I thought they did say it at one time but I now can’t find it. I found this post from a year back that says to make a ticket so unless it’s changed in the last year, this is their policy.

Source

Just a flesh wound.3589:
Ben K.6238:

With regards to obscene guild names, is reporting individual players the best way to address the issue?

A ticket is better. The report options have nothing to do with the guild name so they won’t know that’s what you are trying to report. Get the Display name and character name as well as the guild name and tag and report it on a ticket.

Gaile Gray

Correct. Please submit a ticket. The in-game report is expressly for character names.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^That’s what I always thought. /shrug