How will GW2 last long enough?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

So, we are heading into about 2 1/2 years of the game being released and we haven’t killed another Elder Dragon yet and we have 5 to go.

Then we have 2 continents that are being ravaged by lore that has already been established and widely assumed we would go back and help out with.

Then we have, hopefully, new continents to explore for the first time ever.

How is GW2 going to last long enough to cover all these topics when the second dragon will finally be defeated ~3 years in?

if it stayed on the same course, it would take 12 more years to finally defeat all the Elder Dragons (assuming we have to slay each one individually), so 15 years total to defeat the elder dragons, which would be 2027!

i know you could say S1 was technically the “Scarlet Saga”, but she was still part of the overall Mordremoth plan

I guess they could also lump Kralkk and the Elona thing together, as well as Bubbles and Cantha

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

They probably don’t plan to do any of this. That’s why they came up with Mordremoth, a “super dragon” with a reach far beyond that of any other dragon, and a power that is far more dangerous (corrupting the Pale Tree/Sylvari).

Zhaitan, especially, was small beans in comparison.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

I honestly think Anet doesn’t know how to introduce the other dragons like Kralkatorrik since it would involve Elona and the Deep Sea Dragon since it might involve Cantha with their current set up. Like how I think Anet doesn’t know how to introduce new weapons/skills/races/professions with their current set up.

But to Hannelore.8153 all the Elder Dragons are “super” dragons in a way. Kralkatorrik can corrupt anything and anyone he wants by simply flying over it. Primordus has complete control of the underground and can make minions just out of fire and rock allowing them to show up anywhere in Tyria. The Deep Sea Dragon has complete control of the ocean and Jormag has control of all the frozen north. How the LS Season 2 story is going Mordremoth just awoke and spreading his minions out just like the other Dragons did. He’s simply flexing his muscles. Mordremoth is the 1st dragon we have seen actually awake in-game so of course he comes off as god like just how the other dragons would have seemed if the awoke in-game.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

(edited by joshc.3129)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m more interested in what happens next than what happens in 2 or 3 years from now. Yes, the game will eventually end as all things do. But, for the time being, I’m still interested so I’m still playing. And when I’m no longer interested, I’ll stop playing.

It always seemed strange to me that people think playing a video game is some kind of long-term relationship or investment.

It’s just entertainment. Pretty cheap entertainment. And I wouldn’t put much more into it than that.

That said, I definitely expect to see a season involving Jormag. The entire norn storyline is based around it. Including parts of their personal story to various degrees.

If I had to guess, Morty’s eventual fall will bring about winter. And with winter will come Jormag.

That just makes sense to me.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Simple, it wont, not without some serious hard work and commitment to ALL game modes, not just PvE.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Ardenwolfe.8590

And cue the doomsayers.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I’m not saying it’s going to be a long term relationship….i love this game and I know I’m in it for the long haul.

I’m just trying to wonder how all these story lines will be able to be told in this game.

I would assume if they ever made GW3 that it would contain new stuff, but 15 years is a LONG time for a video game.

I wouldn’t want to see Zhaitan, Morde, and Jormag killed in this game, then GW3 comes out and we kill the other 3.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

So, we are heading into about 2 1/2 years of the game being released and we haven’t killed another Elder Dragon yet and we have 5 to go.

and dont’ forget about the egg…

dragons are making babies too…

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Bets can be already made who will die first, the Elder Dragon Modremorth or the Game GW2.

joshc.3129

and dont’ forget about the egg…

dragons are making babies too…

Glint was another creature before being corrupted by Kralkatorrik and before the Forgotten broke his hold on her. So that may have been why she was able to produce offspring with the powers and magic Kralkatorrik gave to her.

Also if you choose to help the Skritt in your personal story another theory why dragon minions can produce offspring is that they may have been a living creature already pregnant before getting corrupted.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You think LOTRO is ever going to get to Mordor?

joshc.3129

What happened with this game is just sad.

There was so much involvement, good spirit, hype, talent, and excitement. Something good was coming.

Today’s game is an abandoned theme park, rusting under too much grind, 0 content, where the remaining maintenance crew tries to keep PR appearances of … Exiting™.

It’s not. It’s gone, and we’re left with a terrible 2nd year. The only reason to log is the casual dungeon run with two friends in a free game. Everything else is a bad ascended traited luminecent halloween-lottery’d winter-grind bore, to name the recent, or Orr, personal story, weapons, professions, and world, to name the usuals.

Gem purchases have been on hold since fractal-reset, and not changing anytime Soon™.

… Since Dec 2012 things just went wrong. It’s a shame.

New dungeon paths don’t count for new dungeons and LS Season 2 and the 2 new maps don’t count toward anything? This year more has been added to the game than last year. That list you made is just personal wants and if they add all that stuff, that won’t be really “adding” to the game.

Also let’s not forget ascended weapons/armor but I’m guessing that doesn’t count as anything “new”.

(edited by joshc.3129)

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

To the topic of ANET not knowing how to introduce all the dragons I think that can be debated but with a new Narrative Director I’m sure they won’t have a lot of problems in the future.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Did anyone make the weird arguement of “dollars per hours of entertainment”
“You played 1000 hours, and got the game for $60. That’s $0.06/hour! I mean a movie is worth $15 and is about 2hours, that’s $7.5/hour. I think you got your money’s worth out of the game, you should be happy.”
Something like that.
Thought I would get that weird one out of the way. I don’t completely understand it, but it does seem to re-occur very often in topics like these, and is one of the points used by the “white knights” sometimes.

Carry on people.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

It would have been wiser to introduce one dragon, kill it, and then introduce more if theywanted to go down that road. By writing them in at the start they have created a very uneccessary problem for themselves…

I’m not too fussed though, their story telling has been going downhill since nightfall IMO.

I’m not here for the story anymore.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

joshc.3129

What happened with this game is just sad.

There was so much involvement, good spirit, hype, talent, and excitement. Something good was coming.

Today’s game is an abandoned theme park, rusting under too much grind, 0 content, where the remaining maintenance crew tries to keep PR appearances of … Exiting™.

It’s not. It’s gone, and we’re left with a terrible 2nd year. The only reason to log is the casual dungeon run with two friends in a free game. Everything else is a bad ascended traited luminecent halloween-lottery’d winter-grind bore, to name the recent, or Orr, personal story, weapons, professions, and world, to name the usuals.

Gem purchases have been on hold since fractal-reset, and not changing anytime Soon™.

… Since Dec 2012 things just went wrong. It’s a shame.

To hit on a few from your list from the link:
Dyeable weapons? Would be nice.

• # of craftable precursors: 0- isn’t the point to getting a legendary weapon to be hard? Crafting a precursor would = more grinding.
  • of lore to legendaries: 0- what point would that serve?
  • of players in Cantha/Elona: 0- we are no where near completing mainland Tyria why suddenly take the story elsewhere?
  • of new reachable dragons: 0- We are heading towards Mordremoth in LS Season 2 but I guess it would have been better to make the very first update for LS Season 2 a mission to head right to Mordremoth, fight him and kill him. Screw the story leading us up to him. WE NEED ACTION!

Posted by: RedRhino.4281

RedRhino.4281

MMOs don’t have a story ending. They end when player population reaches numbers too low to support it financially.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As long as the income exceeds the outgo.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I honestly believe this will be a problem in the future.

We will most likely speed-kill a few of the final dragons but the pacing is obviously wrong.

When the game released I expected an average pace of 1 dragon / year. That seemed doable given that the first game lasted well over 6 years – I could have seen it happening.

6 dragons, 6 years. Why not?

But at this pace? even with 2 years/dragon it’s still too slow to keep people in the game by the time the last dragon is reached.

By 2016-2017 the game will already be outclassed from a technical point of view by other MMOs.

Not to mention other continents that are rich with lore and possibility like the OP pointed out.
I would have loved to do other things in GW2 than fighting Elder Dragons. It’s getting pretty old pretty fast.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

By having other games like ESO WS and AA being called GW2 killers and then they propyl die 1 to 3 months after they are put out because hype dose not = a good game. That and gamers expectation are crazy big to the point of being comply unrealistic both with what will happen and with what they have so much so that games that are trying to be “that game” that gamers keep demanding end up being nothing and hated by most. So i say GW2 will last as long as they do not do every thing there fan base wants.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I kinda get what the op is saying story wise. Yes, getting to and killing a dragon is taking a long time. I mean I guess the devs are planning for the game to last 10+ years like other MMOs? I mean, it could, maybe, but that doesn’t mean stretch out the main attrsction to paper thin. There are other baddies that can appear or who haven’t been fully dealt with from gw1. Not to mention some factions (example flame legion) who still need dealt with in gw2.

The other thing missing in ls 2 was there is no side story going on to make it feel note real. One of the best things going on in ls1 was the story of (insert name here)-tron. He wasn’t part of the main story, he had actual character progression, and ended up fighting with us at the end. I don’t even know if he’s been in the Ls 2 at all yet.

Not to mention that other than the LSes being more about sylvari so far, its been giving more time to develops destiny’s edge. We’re getting pictures and teases of rytlock from twitter, caithe part of the story, a section of eir with her son that we only see the beginning to, Logan at least one bit with a watch knight, and chances are zoija will be next somehow.

That chance for destiny’s edge should been during the story parts of dungeons, with only fractions in the LS. Heck, there should’ve been some unofficial passing of the torch to us as a leader and assembling the new group. But here we are, still learning about the previous group and members…

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Here is the thing, who is to say that we will defeat all the dragons in gw2? We may get updates for the next 3-4 years involving the death of Mord and 1, maybe 2 more dragon. But maybe the last 2 or 3 or whatever dragons there are we can’t “figure out a way” to kill them or maybe we figure one out but it involves building some super weapon that takes hundreds of years to build (insert gw3, hundreds of years later with a totally updated graphic system and a huge amount of new features).

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

You think LOTRO is ever going to get to Mordor?

Lotro is really close to Mordor by this point.
Players are already wondering what they will get when the ring gets destroyed.

Otherwise, the game is really suffering playerbase-wise so I don’t know how much Turbine can invest when the game’s lifespan seems to be close to its’ end.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

They should wrap up the dragons with s3 this year, and then release an elona expansion based on palawa joko.

I’d prefer cantha but I know that won’t happen.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

joshc.3129

They should wrap up the dragons with s3 this year, and then release an elona expansion based on palawa joko.

Yeah and I have great ways to write off the Dragons. Primordus has a giant rock fall onto his head. Jormag dies do to global warming. The Deep Sea Dragon dies do to all the pollution we dump into the ocean and Kralkatorrik, well we just conveniently find him dead.

Zoso.8279

Yeah and I have great ways to write off the Dragons. Primordus has a giant rock fall onto his head. Jormag dies do to global warming. The Deep Sea Dragon dies do to all the pollution we dump into the ocean and Kralkatorrik, well we just conveniently find him dead.

LMAO was a good laugh. You have a talent for creating stories my friend.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

LMAO was a good laugh. You have a talent for creating stories my friend.

On par with S1 story telling hehe.

Would be good to have a couple campaigns released via LS though. I don’t know anymore if I care for a boxed expansion although I certainly wouldn’t deny it to anyone else. I do think LS can work if they get it through their heads that they’re not making a mediocre TV show.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

They probably don’t plan to do any of this. That’s why they came up with Mordremoth, a “super dragon” with a reach far beyond that of any other dragon, and a power that is far more dangerous (corrupting the Pale Tree/Sylvari).

Zhaitan, especially, was small beans in comparison.

You kind of got the cat by the kitten here…

“any other dragon” We have only encountered 1 dragon so far to compare.
“Zhaitan small beans”? I don’t even see how this is even remotely true, it was underplayed sure, but if you look into it, you will notice that Zhaitan was just as dangerous as Mordy.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

This is the reason we don’t have an expansion yet.

Attachments:

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Well WoW is 10 years old and they’re still getting expansions. As long as there’s enough players (read: gemstore purchases) they can keep developing stuff. The game engine can easily last another 7-8 years, because it has a very unique and nice art style that doesn’t age that quickly.

Plus I still don’t see any even remotely interesting MMOs coming out this year or next year. Black Desert and other Asian MMOs will never gain much traction here in the west – just look at ArcheAge and FFXIV for an example.

EverQuest Next might rattle the cages, but it could very well be 2016 before we will see even a glimpse of it. Blizzard cancelled their “next-gen” MMO.

In short, I don’t see any reason in the foreseeable future why GW2 should cease to exist.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

I doubt it will take exactly the same time to kill a dragon every time. There have been hints they become stronger each time one dies, and I doubt they would give us new continents AFTER all the dragons are dead, as there’s pretty much no foe that can keep the scale up on the level of “casually blowing up forces of nature”.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Zhaitan, Tequatl, The Shatterer, The Claw of Jormag, Blightghast the Plaguebringer, Ogravros the Moondeath, Fafnarin the Heartslayer, Horrogos the Soulbreaker, and The Shadow of the Dragon. Also Glint, if you want to count GW1.

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

Zhaitan, Tequatl, The Shatterer, The Claw of Jormag, Blightghast the Plaguebringer, Ogravros the Moondeath, Fafnarin the Heartslayer, Horrogos the Soulbreaker, and The Shadow of the Dragon. Also Glint, if you want to count GW1.

I believe “dragon” is not a proper term for dragon champions in-universe.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I believe “dragon” is not a proper term for dragon champions in-universe.

Dragon refers to either or both. You need to say Elder Dragon if you only mean Elder Dragons.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

The word you are looking for is expenses. Outgo isn’t a word.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The word you are looking for is expenses. Outgo isn’t a word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outgo

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

So comparing minions with Elders now? Whether they are dragons or not, the comparison is between ELDER Dragon Zhaitan and Mordy.

Semantics, right?

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: chaosdeity.6287

chaosdeity.6287

As some constructive feedback,

I believe that the story team focusing on the dragons was one of the biggest faux pas that occurred, in retrospect. They set up the entire world and regions and factions, and then neglected them in the Living Story and created all new lore (which we all agreed had bad execution) while disregarding the prior game entirely, and the potential written into the main campaign with every race (norn and their struggles with icebrood, humans with centaurs, charr against flame legion and ghosts, etc.). Of every direction they could have gone, it feels like they chose the least impactful one. I think the living story model would have been more successful if they focused on resolving more ‘closer’ issues to home, such as developing more of their pre-existing stories; for example the ‘guild wars beyond’ was wildly successful because it continued and developed stories of previously established characters and wrapped up loose ends satisfactorily while creating a few new ones to look forward too. Season 2 of Living Story feels like they are getting off to a slow start trying to establish that, now, but it’s already too late over two years into the game and having lost a significant amount of their veteran players.

I think this is one of the two biggest problems that Guild Wars 2 suffers from, with the second one being that the sequel to the first game lacks many of the most enjoyed features and content that was already created and established (guild halls, capes, build templates, raid type content, etc.).

I will have some faith restored for sure as a veteran if they manage to resolve those issues within the next 6 months to a year to propagate long term success for the future of the game.

Also Cantha.

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Considering asura’s already have the technology to destroy a dragon within a few shots from an airship, there is no reason to endlessly pad the story out. Just have the player escort the ship to its destination and kill off all the dragon and move onto another better and more in depth story ty.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Yes, I agree. Dragons are a terrible opponent. As far as fantasy RPGs go they’re so rote that you might as well call them “generic bad entity #1”. Just as much character.

They would serve far better as lore background. Proper forces of nature. You don’t go up against a force of nature, or ally with it. It’s a force of nature, it happens, it’s something against which to set your story.

This was done comparatively well in the Dresden Files Pen&Paper RPG, come to think of it. The descriptions for the fairy queens assume that you’ll never go up against them, not even bothering to list their skills and stats because you can assume they’ll succeed, period. They’re bound by their nature, and that’s all what restrains them.
Then you get to the descriptions of Mother Summer / Mother Winter, and it’s just one line telling you that you won’t mess with them.

Anyhow yeah, dragons were a bleh idea.

Back to the topic:
I think even if GW2 were to go down the drain from where on out (and the snails-pace dev progress seems to indicate that most of the team has been put on another project since early post-release), that’s 3-3,5 successful years. Im MMO terms, that’s the 1%. That’s a successful business venture.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Dude, you don’t put a dragon in a fantasy story unless you are going to get it killed by heroes.

One – Piken Square

Ardenwolfe.8590

Well WoW is 10 years old and they’re still getting expansions. As long as there’s enough players (read: gemstore purchases) they can keep developing stuff. The game engine can easily last another 7-8 years, because it has a very unique and nice art style that doesn’t age that quickly.

Plus I still don’t see any even remotely interesting MMOs coming out this year or next year. Black Desert and other Asian MMOs will never gain much traction here in the west – just look at ArcheAge and FFXIV for an example.

EverQuest Next might rattle the cages, but it could very well be 2016 before we will see even a glimpse of it. Blizzard cancelled their “next-gen” MMO.

In short, I don’t see any reason in the foreseeable future why GW2 should cease to exist.

Pretty much this. And well said. Nothing’s coming down the pipe that has any noteworthy buzz from what I’m hearing. Just tried that FF 14 and, after an hour, I uninstalled the trial.

Not going to badmouth it, but it definitely was not my cup of tea.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Personally, if we just end up killing dragon after dragon, I’ll be bored as hell with the plot…

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

well…in case you didnt know we know what the whole world of tyria (tyria the planet) looks like.

Why are people so focused on cantha all the time?
Elona is closer, and geographically its closer to tyria (the continent we are playing currently on) than cantha is.

Another note, there are plenty zones here on tyria in gw2 that havent been “unlocked” as they are in gw1. Such as the fire island chain, more of ascalon and the crystal desert (which is connected to desolation and thus elona again)

Again, just because Gw1 went prophecies (tyria) →factions (cantha)→ Nightfall (elona) doesnt mean gw2 is restricted within that chain of content as well..

As far as it goes gw2 next continent could be a new continent far over to the west ,over the endless sea. or far north,even norther than eye of the north into the tundra lands….

Zoso.8279

Oh the possibilities! X.X still #Kurzickforlife

Necromancer Main

Posted by: meowzibub.7451

meowzibub.7451

considering most of the original dev team and the team from gw1/the tezm which was presemt during launch has all left, you can imagine why guild wars sucks now

Vayne.8563

considering most of the original dev team and the team from gw1/the tezm which was presemt during launch has all left, you can imagine why guild wars sucks now

Most of the team that designed Guild Wars 1 left? You have proof of that? Because I’m almost 100% positive that’s not true.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Why are people so focused on cantha all the time?
Elona is closer,

Because I fear Elona is full of undead and the Crystal desert is full of branded.

Done them, want enemies I’ve never seen before.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Eh what? GW2 sucks? Eh what? SooooOOooo The whole Dev team is around 3-4 people becouse what I remember (I am brobably wrong) is that one or two Devs that was present from the start has left, and you know what!? They left and made realy bad games in my opinion.

I guess I am lucky that GW2 isn’t a good game for you becouse for me GW2 is a good game for me as it is now. Sure it can always be better but in my opinion the dev teams are doing a good job listening to the community and updating this game.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Vayne.8563

Eh what? GW2 sucks? Eh what? SooooOOooo The whole Dev team is around 3-4 people becouse what I remember (I am brobably wrong) is that one or two Devs that was present from the start has left, and you know what!? They left and made realy bad games in my opinion.

I guess I am lucky that GW2 isn’t a good game for you becouse for me GW2 is a good game for me as it is now. Sure it can always be better but in my opinion the dev teams are doing a good job listening to the community and updating this game.

Don’t let it get you down. There are plenty of people playing and enjoying the game. The fact that some people assume it’s bad because they personally don’t like it is part and parcel of forums everywhere.

Anyway, fan fiction isn’t invariably bad and some professional writers get their starts writing fan fiction. lol