Howler - Legendary that doesn't seem like one

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Somewhat cross-posted from the bugs forum, but since this isn’t a bug but a suggestion, I thought I’d carry it over here. I know there was a thread about this a little while ago, but I can’t find it (seriously, just enter Howler into the search bar: 0 results. Nice search engine you got there).

I’m actually about to craft Howler. Only 211 ecto to go and it’s done. I’m a bit sad that it’s been turned into a pale shadow of itself, since I started working towards it before they “adjusted” the FX around the same time they beefed up Eternity. So, I thought a bit. This is what I would do with it:

- Remove the default warhorn sound completely, or muffle it greatly. Make the howl louder and longer. The Super Warhorn replaces the default sound. Why does a Legendary not? You can barely hear the howl over the default skill sound.
- At nighttime, the moon inside the crescent should be always on. Not just the glowing eyes.
- On wield, a burst of stars around the player that trickles down to the ground, along with a heightened fog aura and the wolf’s eyes glowing more brightly. Scale the luminosity on the moon as well so that it shines brighter (during the daytime this should activate the moon briefly, or hell, why not just activate it on wield any time of day?), and add a dynamic light burst that matches the color of the moon (by dynamic light, I mean an actual light sourced from the warhorn that casts illumination and shadows on whatever’s around it. This could be made only visible to the player that wields it, much like the glow on Jormag’s Breath, since anyone in WvW hiding with it doesn’t blow their position just by wielding).
- On skill use, all of the above to a degree, but a smaller dynamic light radius, and a burst of stars only from the warhorn. Fog aura should amplify on use as well.
- Actually put some effort into the footfalls. Seriously. The current ones are programmer art. How about a neat little star burst from the ground that lingers a bit before fading? Or an arcing crescent moon similar to the rainbows from The Dreamer?

Of course, that entails developers actually having some loving care for this weapon, and while I would hope the FX artists and creative programmers would, it seems like this is not the case.

I’ll tell you what, though, if even 50% of the above suggestions were done, that would make this weapon deserving of being called Legendary.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

I rather not have any stars on my Howler.
Thank you very much.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I wouldn’t mind subtle changes to Howler. I am pretty content with it all the same really as the majority of the “bling” comes from whatever main hand legendary I have equipped.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

omg, do not change my howler in any way, it is the best looking legendary

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Don’t fancy the stars.. but yes they messed up when they screwed with the default sound.. It adds to it being a wolf..and the moon should be lit at night 2.. gd knows why they changed it.. but from what I hear a few people btch’d and moaned about it and because a few complaint everyone else has to suffer.. from what i hear.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Seriously, I just was just thinking about this today. There are so many vocal players crying for brighter, louder, more obnoxious legendaries when there are thousands of mature players who prefer a little subtlety and class. I myself thought it was a joke when players were saying that the re-skinned Ascalonian legendaries actually looked good. I prefer style and design over bright, ugly, spastic lights and noises.

Now that’s not to say I’m oppose to change. Just don’t go overboard, please.

… I still want tengu.

Hammerguard.9834

If any legendary could use a boost it’s Kudzu; And I’m not saying throw some rainbow auras around it or add zebra matting calls when it shoots, but the weapon itself could use some better textures or something.

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

Footfalls of Howler should be wolf paw print shaped but in the textured color of the moon with small visible craters in it.

On crit hit effect small ghostly wolf biting. Similar to shark spear effect but in a smaller scale.

Seriously, I just was just thinking about this today. There are so many vocal players crying for brighter, louder, more obnoxious legendaries when there are thousands of mature players who prefer a little subtlety and class. I myself thought it was a joke when players were saying that the re-skinned Ascalonian legendaries actually looked good. I prefer style and design over bright, ugly, spastic lights and noises.

Now that’s not to say I’m oppose to change. Just don’t go overboard, please.

They ninja fixed AC modded effects with the latest big patch. My AC reskinned predator no longer has the permanent flame thrower effect nor the glow aura around the scope at night. Not in AC explo nor in any open world/www during night time. I’m melancholic of it, wasn’t over the top at all, felt like it should’ve been all along.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

(edited by Kajin.5301)

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I’m not advocating for anime-style super star bursts and blinding FX or anything. I suppose it’s difficult to describe what I’m picturing in my head. Simply more of an inclination towards nighttime, the moon, stars, wolves, is what I had in mind. The stars I’m thinking of would be more of a subtle… what’s the description I’m looking for… I dunno, but I’m thinking of the Fervid Censer’s particles, very small that blink in and out and fade away.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Howler is the legendary of fog and mist not of any stars or night sky.
And i got it because of mist and the color white and not because of any stars

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I would have made howler were it not for the fact that the only 2 classes on which I would actively use it are Norn.

Explanation: any offhand will disappear inside the Norn’n left knee. This has been the case since launch. Reported many times in all the designated places. Two years later: nothing.

Posted by: PacoXI.7690

PacoXI.7690

I would have made howler were it not for the fact that the only 2 classes on which I would actively use it are Norn.

Explanation: any offhand will disappear inside the Norn’n left knee. This has been the case since launch. Reported many times in all the designated places. Two years later: nothing.

It must be your armor because I have no clipping issues at all with Howler on my Norn. Now compare that to Asura where you can’t even see the wolf effect.

The only changes I would like to see is some polish. The wolf that pops out looks dated, and the super adventure box warhorn has a more distinct sound.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

While they’re at it, they should really redesign Legendaries for elementalists. Throwing out a flamethrower when you’re attuned to water on Incinerator makes zero sense and just says they just did it in a rush.

Posted by: Dezert Stormz.7248

Dezert Stormz.7248

Imo every legendary should have footfalls.

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

All they need to do is revert it from post April 15th build but put a 4 second timer on the looping wolf howl at night when used… then it will be back to actual legendary status. Currently no constant moon at night and no glitter like it used to. It’s just a dead weapon at it’s current status. o Btw discussion on this is in the Game Bugs and as usual is ignored since it isn’t a flashy sword with over the top gfx.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Alright, you know the whitish sparkles that appear around the horn when you use it? That’s what I’m talking about for an on-wield effect.

Stars was a poor choice of term.

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

what i don’t understand is way howler has an aura and rodgort doesn’t have there both second weapons

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

It must be your armor because I have no clipping issues at all with Howler on my Norn. Now compare that to Asura where you can’t even see the wolf effect.

The only changes I would like to see is some polish. The wolf that pops out looks dated, and the super adventure box warhorn has a more distinct sound.

All my Norns are females. Maybe it works different with males. But females definitely all have clipping. Even without armor.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

Dear god no stars please no stars. If I wanted stars I would use the pretty princess scepter.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

LOL

The reason I’m laughing, is have you seen the only option for engineers?

Quip

Talk about bad imagery. And that’s if we’re not forced to use a build that requires a kit, which is the reason why I’ve not pursued this at all.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Engineers can use rifles, so you have The Predator, which is pretty kitten awesome as rifles go. It’ll probably be the next Legendary I make.

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

The most annoying warhorn…

Remove the constant moaning and it would already be better.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Already removed

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

- Remove default warhorn sound file
- Increase volume/length of Howler sound file
- Permanent moon during night

Awesome again.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

IrishPotato.6327

Already removed

Idk about you but I loved the constant moaning. It reminded me of shadow’s smexy time noise

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It could be worse. You could be making the Minstrel.

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Completely agree that the sound should be much more noticeable! It’s a legendary war horn, much like the huge one at the top of Helms Deep from the Lord of the Rings movie, albeit much smaller.

The default war horn sounds are terrible to begin with and sound like my grandma blowing into a conch shell.

Give the horn a sound that will make people notice!!

Hammerguard.9834

Engineers can use rifles, so you have The Predator, which is pretty kitten awesome as rifles go. It’ll probably be the next Legendary I make.

The problem with that is The Predators a sniper rifle while engineers user rifles as shotguns. Using a sniper like a shotgun is just stupid. Then you have The Flameseeker Prophecies which is basically exclusively for guardians which, ironically, have the worst shield skills of all the classes. Last is troll legendary, Quip.

… I still want tengu.

IrishPotato.6327

Completely agree that the sound should be much more noticeable! It’s a legendary war horn, much like the huge one at the top of Helms Deep from the Lord of the Rings movie, albeit much smaller.

The default war horn sounds are terrible to begin with and sound like my grandma blowing into a conch shell.

Give the horn a sound that will make people notice!!

The sound the wolf makes is fine as it what people are trying to iterate is that it needs to be more noticeable over the default warhorn sounds.

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

It could be worse. You could be making the Minstrel.

Ha I love how it sounds like you butterfinger the harp and drop it when you wield it.

They really need to give some love to the offhands.

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

If only they made the fog, foggier, that’s the whole reason why I made it

Still looks nice with my bolt though

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

- Remove default warhorn sound file
- Increase volume/length of Howler sound file
- Permanent moon during night

Awesome again.

This. It isn’t a difficult fix.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

There were always what the OP referred to as stars associated with Howler, or sparkles or moon motes or whatever you want to call them. But with the moon and all, I don’t think stars is any worse description than any other. Regardless, I’d like them back along with the rest of the animation.

Attachments:

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

make the wolf that appears when u blow the horn more noticable. It’s just so hard to see. Even more when moving.

Ranger’s warhorn effect (wolf and moon) is more legendary than this

and please bring back the moon effect at night

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

grifflyman.8102

A LEGENDARY War Horn, should sound pretty freaking epic considering the best sounding horn in the game is the Adventure Box one.

:\

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i would never put the effort/money into a warhorn legendary, but i appreciate that it’s more subtle than most of the other hideous legendary weapons.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Howler is actually nice, because most ppl don’t even notice its a legendary. Out of countless groups I’ve been in over the months only like a few players actually notice that I have it. Most of these are also posed as a question:

person 1: is that the legendary warhorn?
person 2: lol

Arun Kar

grifflyman.8102

Howler is actually nice, because most ppl don’t even notice its a legendary. Out of countless groups I’ve been in over the months only like a few players actually notice that I have it. Most of these are also posed as a question:

person 1: is that the legendary warhorn?
person 2: lol

Yea, it needs a bit more notice factor :C