Human ancestry question important?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Sometime during the Personal Story, Logan Thackeray asked about my male human ranger’s ancestry, whether it was (if I recall correctly) Krytan, Ascalonian, Canthan or Elonian. My character answered Ascalonian and then I don’t remember anything else developing from that conversation for the rest of the Personal Story.

Did I answer incorrectly? If I’d given a different answer (particularly if I’d chosen Krytan), would a substory have developed from that within the Personal Story? In short, did I miss something?

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

Not at all, pick w/e you prefer. The only thing this affects is the looks of your sister anyway

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: Ailwynn.9632

Ailwynn.9632

Unless you don’t want Ascalonian to be the character’s heritage, you did not answer incorrectly. There isn’t a single correct answer. So you’re fine.

There should be a small visual tweak to the missing sister storyline at one point. Other than that, this is a rather inconsequential decision for humans, unfortunately, unless something changes in future updates.

Torvic.8256

Thank you Melfice and Ailwynn! It totally makes sense that it would affect the look of my ranger’s sister.

And at least in my mind, my GW2 ranger (as is his sister, obviously) is definitely of Ascalonian ancestry since he’s a direct descendant of my GW1 ranger.

Just curious: was that same question also a choice for humans during character creation (I don’t remember since it’s been so long since I’ve last created my ranger)?

Posted by: Ailwynn.9632

Ailwynn.9632

You’re quite welcome.

Heritage isn’t an option during character creation, only during that part of the story as a result of selecting the dead sister path during character creation. We get options for: social class, regret, deity, and profession-based choices. I haven’t made a new one in a while, but they probably still ask the personality question even though it’s been removed from the hero screen.

Torvic.8256

You’re quite welcome.

Heritage isn’t an option during character creation, only during that part of the story as a result of selecting the dead sister path during character creation. We get options for: social class, regret, deity, and profession-based choices. I haven’t made a new one in a while, but they probably still ask the personality question even though it’s been removed from the hero screen.

I wonder why they removed the personality question from the hero screen.

In any case, I’m glad that I chose my ranger’s ancestry question to Logan “correctly” even if I hadn’t designated it as such during character creation (my ranger does indeed look Ascalonian, with lighter skin, blue eyes, dirty-blond hair, etc.). I suppose that I would’ve had to come up with some in-story explanation to myself if I’d given Logan one of the other answers and my ranger’s sister then ended up looking either Krytan, Canthan or Elonian.

(edited by Torvic.8256)

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I remember at launch talking to the speed boon people to max out my Charisma, which didn’t do anything at all.

Then they removed it, but still didn’t remove it entirely. Now it makes less sense then before. You get an option on the character creation, and you get options in a few NPC dialog but thats it. It’s not on the Hero page, its not listed anywhere at all. But remains as options to be selected but leaves people to question it’s very existence.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Torvic.8256

I remember at launch talking to the speed boon people to max out my Charisma, which didn’t do anything at all.

Then they removed it, but still didn’t remove it entirely. Now it makes less sense then before. You get an option on the character creation, and you get options in a few NPC dialog but thats it. It’s not on the Hero page, its not listed anywhere at all. But remains as options to be selected but leaves people to question it’s very existence.

Will it perhaps be reintroduced with the next chapter (whether it’s Living Story or an expansion)?

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

And at least in my mind, my GW2 ranger (as is his sister, obviously) is definitely of Ascalonian ancestry since he’s a direct descendant of my GW1 ranger.

The fun thing about ancestry over 250 years is that your original character makes up just around 0.1% of the new character’s ancestry from that period. The other 99.9% don’t necessarily have to be Ascalonian.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I picked Ascalonian because master ancestry.

Torvic.8256

The fun thing about ancestry over 250 years is that your original character makes up just around 0.1% of the new character’s ancestry from that period. The other 99.9% don’t necessarily have to be Ascalonian.

Especially since the Ascalonians were driven from Ascalon in GW1?

Torvic.8256

I picked Ascalonian because master ancestry.

Including Gwen.