Hype in GW2

Hype in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

People complain that Arena Net creates Hype. Of course they do some hype that is true. For the most part they have came through with most of the idea’s they set out to do in GW2. For example they said that if a foe is going to attack they will attack and destroy. Now this seems strange when you get there its all nice and neat later on.
That’s because it has to be repeated for all the players, but it does happen.

I have been reading some of the forums about GW2 heart of thorns becoming an expansion. We will know on the 24th of January what it will be. It could be an expansion then again it could be Living Story 3. This is left up to speculation which of course becomes Hype for the game.

What I am getting at is it is not Arena Net that is creating Hype it is the people in the game over expecting what is said about the game. The game has forever changed if they killed off Destiny’s Edge. That may be what they mean I don’t know. It may be more. Point is it can be anything just have to wait to find out.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I’m 99.99% sure it will be an expansion, they’ve never trademarked any of the previous Living stories, none of them had their own Logo designed around them and we wouldn’t have received the quote “living story was just the beginning”, nor would they be expecting a dramatic increase of income mid-way through 2015 if it wasn’t an Expansion.

Edit: We also wouldn’t have received what is effectively an in-game trailer at the end if it wasn’t going to be an expansion.

Edit 2: They’re not going to kill of Destiny’s edge, just because you see their Airship get destroyed doesn’t mean they went with it.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Hype in GW2

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s definitely more than just LS3, evidenced by the description on the PAX event: “… The Living Story was only the beginning.”

But you are very right about people’s expectations. Gamers in particular are bad about setting expectations too high (read: being entitled children), and frequently find themselves disappointed when they don’t get everything they wanted. Worse still, they are often unwilling to see their own fault in the matter, and will put all the blame on the developers for not delivering what they expected. It’s a societal problem, though, and it will probably be that way for a long time yet.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Hype in GW2

Posted by: Akatosh.7621

Akatosh.7621

Don’t you remember the hype train for the cutscene after we killed Scarlet which suggested Morderemoth awakening? People screamed expansion then but this time, it is indeed different, everything seems to be for a larger scale.
Perhaps the death of destiny’s edge is the intended point of no return but I don’t know how this will impact personal story missions as all the members are important in early levels.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

For me, and a lot of people, right now it’s either get hyped or forget about GW2 altogether. I prefer to get hyped.

Hype in GW2

Chyanne Waters.8719

Again you are speculating you are causing yourself false hype. You may be disappointed in the game because of it.

The Living Story can open vast areas up introduce more races and professions without an expansion. The problem is they have been quite small in that. They did change the game quite a bit though. Without the expansion we have received new ways to play, a Living story that is permanent. A new dungeon (Twilight Assault), Fractals, Southsun Cove, a couple pvp maps, changes in wvw, Edge of the Mists, Ascended crafting, and the list can go on.

What has not happened is a new profession, or a new race yet. It can happen though that is the point with a built in Expansion called the Living Story.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Again you are speculating you are causing yourself false hype. You may be disappointed in the game because of it.

The Living Story can open vast areas up introduce more races and professions without an expansion. The problem is they have been quite small in that. They did change the game quite a bit though. Without the expansion we have received new ways to play, a Living story that is permanent. A new dungeon (Twilight Assault), Fractals, Southsun Cove, a couple pvp maps, changes in wvw, Edge of the Mists, Ascended crafting, and the list can go on.

What has not happened is a new profession, or a new race yet. It can happen though that is the point with a built in Expansion called the Living Story.

As i previously said up top, they wouldn’t trademark it if t was merely just the Living story, by trademarking, that means they intend to put said product on sale for the general public.

Plus, if it was just the living story, they wouldn’t have put an in-game trailer to make sure that pretty much everyone finds out about it, as well as providing a time and date to find out more information.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Hype in GW2

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

People design their own “hype” out of unrealistic expectations and impatience. This goes for enthusiasts of any technology be it an operating system, a smartphone or a video game.

If people would patiently wait for announcements before developing opinions and making assumptions, the forums on the Internet would be a very different world.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I am already disappointed by the game.
Every 2 weeks I come back 30 minutes to do the LS, in hopes for something bigger later.
So either this is an expansion (or a hybrid LS + Expansion) or that’s the end for me, no point in even continuing doing the LS. Same for pretty much my whole guild.

Hype in GW2

Chyanne Waters.8719

Andred.1087
It’s definitely more than just LS3, evidenced by the description on the PAX event: “… The Living Story was only the beginning.”

JoshuaRAWR.4653
As i previously said up top, they wouldn’t trademark it if t was merely just the Living story, by trademarking, that means they intend to put said product on sale for the general public.

Plus, if it was just the living story, they wouldn’t have put an in-game trailer to make sure that pretty much everyone finds out about it, as well as providing a time and date to find out more information.

What does this mean? "The Living Story was only the beginning.” does it mean an expansion? Quite a few people believe so. Or does it mean something new that no one else is doing? Who knows? I know I don’t. Only Arena Net Knows for sure. For all we know is that the Quaggan can become a playable race (they do use out of water spears) That is a major change in the game. It can be anything at all.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Yeah Anet isn’t making any hype…

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/join-us-january-24-on-twitch/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt2MVby1Wj0

They even hyped it up IN GAME… which is pretty much never done…

I literally don’t know how they could hype it up themselves anymore than they already have… Any disappointment will NOT be the players fault.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

ANet allows the hype to generate with their perpetual silence, so it is mainly ANet’s fault for not simply telling us what’s happening

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Hype in GW2

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

ArenaNet is making Hype. For what we don’t know yet for sure beyond the PAX event.

Players are making predictions based upon information that is given. Players are generating hype based upon the expectations.

Personally I am excited for the possibility of a expansion mostly because it means a lot of new content and a lot of returning players and possibly some new ones. I play a MMO for the social aspect.

Will a be disappointed if it is not a expansion. Yes. Will it ruin my enjoyment of the game forever. No. That is because excitement and disappointment are not the problem it is how you handle the two that is. ArenaNet nor other players can be blamed for that.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto