I Gave Up On This Game Am I Wrong?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s funny because the gear grind here is worse than it is in WoW.

I’m actually back playing WoW. I had come to GW2 to escape the grind among other things and, since Nov-12, GW2 is the grindiest game I’ve ever played. WoW is a piece of cake in comparison. In WoW I can grind out a set of gear in 1-2 months and I’m done grinding for the rest of the tier. Here the grind is never over. GW2 has taught me that a fast steep grind is far less grindy than a long slow one that is never over. And, I can maintain alts in WoW—good luck gearing them up in GW2.

I’m back playing WoW as well. I don’t think the gear grind even qualifies as a grind. You get to do a fun raid once a week and it’s only a few hours. Pvp gear isn’t even a grind if you enjoy pvp because they gave everyone the same damage reduction. Just starting out, you may hit like a wet noodle but you’re still useful.

oh god! those dreadful raid nights!! raiding was actually what made me quit wow, it was the worst thing I had ever experienced in a game… the problem wasn’t the many failed atempts though, it was that raiding wasn’t done for fun, I was raiding to get a chance to roll against my guildies for 1 piece of gear… nope, no thank you

Doing Tequatl was very akin to raiding but it was just for fun, for the glory of beating it 1st on your server, that’s how dificult content should be, not an endless grind for more gear

Would rather spend a few hours a week doing an activity I enjoy and not get anything that grind my life away or spend money in the cash shop here. And FYI, not getting at least one thing is fairly rare. People in the lower difficulty get their own loot rolls so you don’t have to fight people over gear.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

You’re wrong.

Unlike WoW where you NEED to grind the gear to complete the next tier of content, in GW2 you don’t.

There is gear to get only if you like the look of it. Some of it gives you a very minor boost in stats but doesn’t allow you to see or play any content someone with only rares can experience.

I came back to WoW after a six month break and was running the latest content within a week, because Blizzard introduced an easy catch up mechanic that gives you gear and is actually REWARDING unlike here where the most rewarding this is spending money in the cash shop, converting gold to gems, and saving yourself a whole lot of grind and headache.

Any serious WvW player will grind out ascended (legendary soon) because an advantage is an advantage is an advantage.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

You are not wrong. It’s ok to not like a game. There are lots of games I don’t like. I don’t feel bad at all about it. I don’t seek people’s approval for not liking these games either. It’s ok.

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

You’re wrong.

Unlike WoW where you NEED to grind the gear to complete the next tier of content, in GW2 you don’t.

There is gear to get only if you like the look of it. Some of it gives you a very minor boost in stats but doesn’t allow you to see or play any content someone with only rares can experience.

You are wrong.

You don’t need to but you will want to, because it’s the only thing this game promotes beside casualty. This is not my opinion. It’s my conclusion of scores of threads discussing this topic. You could tell the exact same thing about WoW although it’s less likely.

Please don’t bother an objection because you can affect my conclusion as little as I can affect your opinion. The only possible outcome is derailment of this thread.

A game that is partly pvp, cusual gameplay and fractals with a combat system based on stats (gear and builds) you will either play casually or try to improve in order to overpower the difficulties. Since 2 parts out of 3 make you want to improve, people will try to do so and their first step is always a gain in stats – ascended gear, because the combat system still makes it the most effective way of improvement.
You feel a lack of damage? Try more power! It’s as simple as that.

It’s not their fault the combat system is made this way. It’s not their fault every other mmorpg focuses on this kind of progression. However, pointing out there is no necissity for grinds in GW2 is equal to claiming there is no necissity for fun in one’s life. “Nothing forces” you to, but you will do it anyway based on how things are.

The lack of difficulty creates less actual “need” for stronger avatars, but doesn’t take away the reasoning behind them.

(edited by Escadin.9482)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

One person’s grind is likely to be another’s carnival o’fun. If anybody feels like they’re being forced to do something they don’t like in a video game then they should step back and consider the options. Plenty of people have already.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Legitimate complaints OP, honestly. I wouldn’t quit the game myself, but certain unseemingly elements such as trying to bring in the concept of progression style from other games and ending up as a second rate version of them does drag down the game a bit. Meanwhile the interface still lacks a lot of polish. I think the biggest problem with Gw2 is that it came out a bit rough but still nice. Just needed some polish, and instead they go and add more and more features that also feel rushed while tossing out a Living Story that was fun in some parts but it just gives the feeling that they should have spent more time on said polish. It’s like your building foundation is slowly rotting yet you’re still building more and more levels. It looks more impressive until what’s below finally gives way.

Is the grind quite annoying? Yes. It doesn’t really affect my gameplay too much and I still find it entertaining enough though we’re at a crossroads here. Since people say it only makes a 15% difference and doesn’t matter too much, then I’m going to say it makes Gw2 about 10% less of a game. Still fun and it’s nice to find others that also find fun in whatever we do— it makes you sort of forget about those questionable design decisions for a bit and is an excellent time waster. But could it be disappointing? Sure can.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

I’d say one of the biggest red flags indicating arenanet has lost their way is their inclusion of skillpoints in the craft grind. Remember gathering cool skills in GW1? And using them to make new builds? I do. I wish there were new cool skills coming out in GW2 to pursue like they promised there would be back in June.

But nope, no such luck. In the process of grinding 200 skill points to craft my ascended items though. Thank goodness arenanet found a grind sink for that worthless currency. /s

The end game truly stinks. Hopefully the end of S1 indicates the start of something fresh where they actually focus on balance and the game enjoyment over meaningless temp content.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You’re wrong.

No he isn’t wrong, there has been a lot of feedback in other threads that current WoW is less grindy than GW2.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i hated how gw1 capped at 20 it made me feel no sense of progress at all in my personal character, i do wish for less zerging in gw2 tho and more strategic enemies (ones that dont have giant health bars that take 100 ppl to widdle down)

i am still enjoying gw2 but i hope the expansions move away from zergish “giant boss” content

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

You’re wrong.

No he isn’t wrong, there has been a lot of feedback in other threads that current WoW is less grindy than GW2.

Wow is far less grindy. In terms of completing a tier of content. You do realize I could complete probably an entire tier or two of content in less time then crafting 1 ascended set.

The largest difference being in Wow’s reward system – I felt like I accomplished something in gw2 I don’t. Ascended gear’s +2 more stats here and there makes me feel as though I have wasted time. In wow – the reward is much more noticeable.

In it’s current form Wow is the most casual game on the market. You don’t spend weeks upon weeks grinding bags, grinding world events , grinding ls, grinding materials and champs to hope to get something worthwhile. I mean look at the guy who opened 80+ teq bags and received absolutely nothing for his time investment.

Now in Wow – You invest that much time you are guaranteed to receive adequate improvements to your character. You will not get everything in 1 day like but the pace at which you improve makes you feel as though you are progressing.

There is a reason so many players still play that game after 10 yrs and no other current mmorpg can come close to what they have in terms of population or profit.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Lots of Blizzard shills hawking their game on the GW2 forums these days, things must be getting paaaaainful over there

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Hello all,

Whilst we don’t mind a comparison here or there, let’s keep it on-topic to Guild Wars 2 gameplay. Thanks!

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

I understand your frustration OP while playing GW1 and grinding for my titles in HoM all I could think of was the release of GW2. I’m from GW1 my self, but I think your expectations are the ones to blame. I get what you’re looking for, if ever I wanted GW2 to be basically version 2 of GW1.

But if you’re into the lore I think if they bring the mursaats, tengu, forgottens, margonites story line etc… you might still be able to go back in the future. But if you’re into the PVE and PVP of GW1, that I dont know how to deal with cause like you said, this is a different game. Totally different.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

There sure is a lot of rosy retrospection going on in this thread. I enjoyed GW1, and I’m sure many of you enjoyed it and played it more than I did, but my goodness this thread would have you think copies of it belong in the Smithsonian.

I very much enjoy GW2, I think it has many advantages over the “common MMO” and I don’t at all see it as just another MMO copy. However it is simply unrealistic to think everyone is going to like GW2 (or any game). I am glad that the OP has come to a conclusion on the matter, and I hope they are able to find a much better game for them to dive into.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

There sure is a lot of rosy retrospection going on in this thread. I enjoyed GW1, and I’m sure many of you enjoyed it and played it more than I did, but my goodness this thread would have you think copies of it belong in the Smithsonian.

- I genuinely enjoyed GW1. I remember what it was like to get the 100% world cartography, vanquishing zones and capturing elite skills. Guild battles where death penalty made every kill so satisfying. You were always part of a party playing a role (I was Monk). You could on one character play so many different builds it was a game on its own to design and tweak them. Weapon sets came with trade-off if you wanted more health or ability effectiveness.

I have seen everything this game has to offer. It’s a WoW clone with a twist and I couldn’t care less about MMOs. I wanted to re-experience the excitement when I first started the game in pre-searing. Alas those were the days of quality gaming which are now gone.

Adamantium.3682

- I genuinely enjoyed GW1. I remember what it was like to get the 100% world cartography, vanquishing zones and capturing elite skills. Guild battles where death penalty made every kill so satisfying. You were always part of a party playing a role (I was Monk). You could on one character play so many different builds it was a game on its own to design and tweak them. Weapon sets came with trade-off if you wanted more health or ability effectiveness.

I have seen everything this game has to offer. It’s a WoW clone with a twist and I couldn’t care less about MMOs. I wanted to re-experience the excitement when I first started the game in pre-searing. Alas those were the days of quality gaming which are now gone.

I’m certain you and others enjoyed GW1 and probably even more than I did, I said as much in my post. I thought I was very clear, I’m not sure how you misunderstood that.

I was only commenting on the cognitive bias that seems to be very prevalent in this thread. GW1 was a great game, similar enough to other games to be recognizable to RPG fans but different enough to generate such a strong following. However reading this thread would lead one to believe it had no flaws whatsoever and should indeed be preserved in a museum.

Play GW2, don’t play GW2, I hope everyone finds the enjoyment in their video game choices. I just don’t think it’s fair to compare any game to an experience that probably was not as wonderful as it’s made out to be when people are feeling nostalgic.

Jade Quarry

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

The OP just confirms what I’ve said before – players who come to GW2 from other games seem to struggle to leave their gaming history bias behind and enjoy GW2 for what it is.

That’s not to judge, it just seems to be the case and the OP says it again clearly – players from GW1 or WoW switch to GW2 and play but eventually long for all the things things from those games that aren’t in GW2, and players who didn’t play either of those games are still going strong with GW2.

So that begs the question,; is it the game or is it the player mentality that causes them to lose interest?

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I can understand what the OP means. As a veteran GW1 player, I find GW2’s combat system simply lacking in depth and build diversity. There’s too much zerg-content, and not enough actual strategic game play. Plus the camera and targeting really are a disaster. How they’ve allowed those two broken systems to remain unchanged for a year since release is beyond my understanding.

The Living Story is really hit or miss. I really enjoyed SAB (despite the jumping mechanics and slow-down holding it back a bit), and I really liked the Marionette, and the Molten Facility dungeon. Some of the other stuff I like less, plus all the achievement grinding gets really tiresome, especially when you are on a weekly timer. Can we go back to relaxed permanent content again? Just expand the world, and leave it in there. Instead of removing everything every few weeks.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Vella the knight.6072

Vella the knight.6072

I’m feeling op as well.
some key problems with gw2.
limited time content that some were enjoyed greatly arent around to go back and enjoy.
lack of weapon/skills/traits having loads of skills to play with customize made gw1 great why don’t we have more of them after the first + some months after gw2 launched.

zerker nerf its not require I and a lot of other players do not get this zerker is not the problem condi in pve is the problem. do what they did in gw1 and fix skills accordingly to each aspect of the game pve skills will act differently when in a pve zone and same goes if you were in a wvw or spvp zone.

Spvp you tried to force sports to early. lack of game modes conquest is the most boring mode I have now ever played. as well as lacking in build variety(more weapontypes/skills/traits) while spvp is more friendly to condi builds your either tank/dmg tank/condi or zerker thief. As well as trying to blanace traits/skills for both pve and pvp separate them and kitten gonna be lot better just like in gw1.

gear/Grind people are forced into grinding if they want ascended the cost of mats are now insanely high for darmask/ignots. besides ascended weapons everythign else offers such very little stat increase for cost/time required to get them. money or time isn’t much of my problem anymore but for majority of players it is.

with the feature patch in some unknown date sometime in April probably and most likely after teso launch is pretty risking. I’m not scared of teso ever overtaking any but it might catch some of the drones of some odd terrible game syndrome and defend it like it was best thing in world which it is not but not gonna go off in detail about how terrible that cash grab called a game is.

what left of peoples hope now is in that feature patch. for me if it doesn’t deliver new weapon type/skills/traits or something along those lines. I’m gonna have to call it quits for Gw2.

Posted by: Scynte.1340

Scynte.1340

GW1 was my first online game. I liked it because I could always go back to it after extended periods. I’ve stopped playing GW2 for a little while now; I can’t stand anything LS related.
I’ve gone back to GW1 for some JQ action and a bit of PvE. JQ was very enjoyable PvP, except for the long delays between matches. I’d really like to play FA too. I remember thinking that FA was a taste of what WvW could be like. The even match-up must be why I enjoyed it more.

I wish Anet still updated GW1. If they were like Square Enix, for example, they would (or could?) maintain both. Content updates could be nice, but skill updates would be amazing.

What legal barriers prevent Anet from releasing GW1 source code so others may develop the game? It’s obvious they don’t give a kit about it anymore.

(edited by Scynte.1340)

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

Lots of Blizzard shills hawking their game on the GW2 forums these days, things must be getting paaaaainful over there

hmmm thats why they where shouting for the horde in lions arch event today they bought gw2 to advertise wow lol

action combat made mmos better lol

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I haven’t given up but the game certainly needs more depth to it. The combat is getting pretty stale with zergs/dodge. It still has potential.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

OP everything you said it 100% right. That’s because it’s your opinion and opinions can’t be wrong.

I disagree with most of it and it’s still 100% right.

We all have to find games we enjoy playing. If this isn’t one for you, then it’s not one for you. Anet has surely made some mistakes along the way, but to me, the living story has gotten better, not worse. I enjoy it more than I did when it started. It’s starting to become something I look forward to.

And if that doesn’t catch your fancy, you’re going to have to find another game, because this is how Anet decided to move forward.

But the same thing happened in Guild Wars 1. Changes came into the game and tons of people left, particularly when heroes were introduced an suddenly you could solo everything. That was a game breaker for a lot of people.

Anet has always made changes to their games. And people have always left because of them.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Play GW2, don’t play GW2, I hope everyone finds the enjoyment in their video game choices. I just don’t think it’s fair to compare any game to an experience that probably was not as wonderful as it’s made out to be when people are feeling nostalgic.

Developers shamelessly tout their games, stressing the ways in which they are different and the ways they are the same. This hype invites comparisons. Stating that, “…Guild Wars 2 is the perfect game for Guild Wars players…” is nothing if not a bald invitation to compare. I get you don’t think such comparisons are fair, but they are a part of the genre — and are as much caused by developers as players.

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Hello all,

Whilst we don’t mind a comparison here or there, let’s keep it on-topic to Guild Wars 2 gameplay. Thanks!

That’s all you got to say from reading this post?

Thanks for your write up TS, you definitly tell a lot of truth about how this game evolved by the time and the development changed, pretty nice read!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

If this game would have been more like GW1 i wouldn’t have never bought it. I like to jump and i like to play mmo, not some wannabe mmo.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

The only time I’ve seen a guild matter is in WvsW and that’s usually because of their level of teamwork.

This is prob the single most thing that keeps in interested in this game. I tend to go through the motions when soloing my dailies etc in PvE, but I <3 the community behind WvW. But just as you said for most if theyre not interested or not prepared to try you don’t really have to involve yourself in it.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Hello all,

Fully agree. Instead of dropping in a red post here and there to make it look like it’s had something of importance added to the conversation, maybe Anet could work on making this game what everyone wants it to be. And a zergfest isn’t the way to do it.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Hello all,

That’s probably all which should be said from reading this post from CC Danicia. She’s not PR or developer, she’s basically a non-automated moderator. (Though I can’t be too sure about that, the asura have made lots of progress in auto-moderation.)

I mean, there’s a lot they could probably say, but how much should they say as far as their superiors are concerned? Remember there is a limit to how candid they can actually be, and probably err on the side of caution to avoid white knighting their own game.

. . . or worse, one of them getting a green light to be 100% candid and proceeding to say things people don’t want to hear.

Aside from “we think we made a great game, even though it’s still got things we need to fix”, which is exactly what you’d get with varying degrees of verbosity if another red post was dropped in here.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I haven’t given up but the game certainly needs more depth to it. The combat is getting pretty stale with zergs/dodge. It still has potential.

Yep, if the dungeon speedrunners would stop claiming cleric is OP. Apparently certain builds can outheal dungeon bosses, just make sure to get them into such a position that they leave out half their kitten nal first (melee subject alpha, pull spider queen to a wall, etc)…

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Hello all,

That’s probably all which should be said from reading this post from CC Danicia. She’s not PR or developer, she’s basically a non-automated moderator. (Though I can’t be too sure about that, the asura have made lots of progress in auto-moderation.)

I mean, there’s a lot they could probably say, but how much should they say as far as their superiors are concerned? Remember there is a limit to how candid they can actually be, and probably err on the side of caution to avoid white knighting their own game.

. . . or worse, one of them getting a green light to be 100% candid and proceeding to say things people don’t want to hear.

Aside from “we think we made a great game, even though it’s still got things we need to fix”, which is exactly what you’d get with varying degrees of verbosity if another red post was dropped in here.

I really wish that this forum provided a way to tell a proper dev post from a CC post. Seeing a thread icon go red, just to learn it is yet another CC notice, is disheartening.

And the dev tracker is useless, as it fills up with account issue responses.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Hello all,

I don’t care. Nobody cares how much they can talk or not. I/we want answers, sincere response to raised questions/issues. Pick the last – let’s say – random 20 red replies and you’ll get my point. I’m a paying customer and I want close if not straight answers for given topic. Simple as that.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: MistaMike.7356

MistaMike.7356

I think you are wrong and here is why: it’s not like they hide any content behind any grinds. You can access any part of the game, and overtime you get rewarded for it with armor that gives you a slight bonus… it’s not something you’re forced to obtain to see certain parts of the game, thus its not a grind at all… it’s more of a reward or added bonus for playing..

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

you are right and you are wrong,

you are right because GW2 is not GW.
to tell you the truth, i didnt like GW1, the fully instanced world, the PVP only endgame, and the lack of jump, drove me off GW1.

but GW2 is not WoW either, far from it.
there is very little mandatory grind in GW2.
you have lots of optional grind though…
you have legendary grind, you have pretty skins grind, you have achievements grind, but you don’t need these.

the only grind is ascended armors ( trinkets you get from laurels and badges so i dont call it a grind…, weapons are also manageable)
but only because you need six of them for each armor you want.
but on the good side, you are not gated by the ascended armor.
fractals? the basic content (1-19) is available with no AR, later content available with infused trinkets etc.

PVE dungeons? they are balanced around exotics, so you don’t need ascended gear.
WWW, this is tricky, this is actually the only place when ascended gear will give you the edge over an opponent, and a skilled player in exotics will prevail mediocre player in full ascended. and the content is open for everybody.

the problem with GW2 is that the game have not decided what kind of game is it,
is it PVP game? the classes are balanced strictly through sPVP, but the sPVP maps are exactly the same! they all have exactly the same game mode -“king of the hill” just the topography is different, what with different types of game play? how is there no “capture the flag” map? no “last man standing” map?

is the game PVE?
then what do i have to do after i got “dungeon master” title? except running cof 1 for gold?
where are the “hard” mode dungeons for PVE guilds?
are these are fractals? then why the fractals are broken to frustration?
why the classes are not balanced around PVE? there are alpha classes ( warrior/guardian) there are situational one trick classes ( mesmer for portal and time wrap, thieves for stealth ) and there are useless classes ( engy, necro, ranger etc) , there are why conditions are not balanced around PVE? what is this “defiant” atrocity?

is this a WWW game?
i agree that it seems that WWW is the only endgame in GW2,because it is infinitely re-playable and they are actually fixed the culling…
but then again, the classism is horrible.
wars guards necroes in. one thief to scout, one mesmer to veil. couple of static field eles but not too much they are squishy.
rangers and engies are out.

and the skill lag.. omg.. have anybody from the development team or QA been into three way on stonemist in EB? it is impossible to play.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t care.

I don’t care about your not caring. That you don’t care doesn’t change anything to make it mandatory or a good idea they talk more openly.

Nobody cares how much they can talk or not.

Sure, everyone cares, that was the point of the post I quoted and the rest of your post says . . . yes, you do care.

And notably, they cared when Josh Foreman talked a little too much during SAB Release 2. Along with other people who got their noses bent out of shape over often blunt responses from him. You can see what happened there, and that’s why you don’t get the candid and straight answers you desire.

Because, let’s be clear here. A lot of ideas posted here on the forums just aren’t very good ideas. More than a few suggestions, fixes, additions, subtractions are put up without any concept of what else doing that “one tiny thing” might affect. They don’t look at the wide picture, they don’t think about the game as a whole. They want ascended gone, they want HealSig nerfed to 10% of what it is, they want Queensdale destroyed entirely, they want (insert NPC here) drawn and quartered, and then hanged for good measure. And maybe fed to the goats, but they can’t agree on whether to feed them before or after the wood chipper in employed.

I’ll bring up a related point. A lot of feedback doesn’t even stop to think “why is Thing A like this?” . . . they just say it’s bad and move on, or “I didn’t like it”. Which is okay, it’s okay not to like something. But there’s nothing a developer can act on with “I didn’t like it”.

Lastly, treating the developers like the enemy isn’t going to get you anywhere to get them to listen to you. You can have the most awesome fix in the world which will make this game talked about until the world explodes from how incredible it is. But if you start with the attitude of “I know the developers are all idiots with their heads stuck up a certain rectal cavity” . . . yeah, they’re not going to take you as serious.

To the OP if you’re still reading? Are you right to give up on the game? Well, if you’re no longer having any fun . . . maybe it was right. If you’re not having fun playing something in order to have fun . . . time to step back. Maybe put it down and come back later or not at all. There’s zero shame in it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

to tell you the truth, i didnt like GW1, the fully instanced world, the PVP only endgame, and the lack of jump, drove me off GW1.

gw1 has/had more endgame than gw2 does currently. srsly.

The only content in this game I would consider end-game is fractals lvl30+

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I spent a $60 bucks on a game and played it for 2500 hours thus far. Not a lot all things considered, but as many as I could manage given my lifestyle. Who gives a crap about what another game was with a similar name, made by the same company. That’s a good turn of investment for entertainment right there.

And the worst thing is, you can still go play GW1 if you love it so much. It hasn’t gone anywhere.

Adamantium.3682

This is silly. Just because you would not consider any of the explorable dungeons, Teq, the Wurm, or other level 80 events “end game content” doesn’t mean they’re not there.

Jade Quarry

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

This is silly. Just because you would not consider any of the explorable dungeons, Teq, the Wurm, or other level 80 events “end game content” doesn’t mean they’re not there.

Those are not level 80 events.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

OP is spot on, and said well what I’ve been trying to articulate since launch. GW2 just doesn’t feel like a Guild Wars game. I just can’t get into it…I go months between play sessions, and then log on for maybe an hour.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

OP is spot on, and said well what I’ve been trying to articulate since launch. GW2 just doesn’t feel like a Guild Wars game. I just can’t get into it…I go months between play sessions, and then log on for maybe an hour.

Why waste your time? Dude, just give it up. We don’t know you so we aren’t going to think any less of you. Any adult should know when to stop doing something they consider useless.

edit: even if we did know you we’d respect your choice.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

OP, you’re fully correct in your decision and therefore have my full support.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: FliFlaFlooo.2904

FliFlaFlooo.2904

i also got the same opinion, so i first was disappointed in gw2, but after i quit the game and gave it another try, totally unbound of gw1 i rly started to like the game and i still do!

but what im rly missing is the diversity of weapon skill, dungeons or real content update
for example i really would want sth like “The Deep” back from gw1, an instance that requires more then just 5ppl, but maybe 8 (not to much, we dont want raids!)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

To folks who are frustrated with the OP: Remember that ANet promised us a continuation of GW1. What infos we got over the years (we waited YEARS with very few updates and content) was that it was going to be like GW1 but with the stuff that they couldn’t implement, like jumping, possible mounts (from the concept art coming out), more detailed models, etc.

We liked the game that they stopped making. We didn’t quit it to jump to another game, we moved because they said, basically, ‘the game engine isn’t what we need it to be, so we’re focusing development on the next iteration of this game, please come with us’. Most of us took it at face value.

I LIKE guild wars 2. But I do miss the many creative armors in GW1, I miss heroes and henchmen, I definitely miss Guild Halls (my guild has to go to other servers to have guild meetings just to not get griefed), I miss all my minipets from 1 that never got ported over.

People say, ‘well, go back to GW1!’ That’s not feasible when they stopped updating it. So I wish that they could stop avoiding some of the things that made GW1 good, like guild halls, like the armor styles, like the various cultures, like the guild halls, like those minis, skill capturing, etc. I don’t see why folks would NOT want any of these things.

So, I like Guild Wars 2, it does a lot of things well and it is my main MMO now. But GW1 was the MMO I planned to stick with for longer and that got yanked out from under a lot of players, and the many features which would go a long way toward easing things -aren’t here-. That’s going to bother some people. Dissing us for the quandary we’re finding ourselves in is crappy.

Regarding nostalgia glasses re: grinding: I never had a problem with grinding. Maxing titles and acquiring some armors and weapons required a lot of it, and I was ok with that.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

You’re wrong.

To people who make the choice to play the game, it doesn’t matter whether it’s optional or not. They’ve chosen to partake. Their experience after that is graded on the same level as someone who has to grind to keep up.

I don’t understand why “it’s optional” is the go to defence for grind. Everything in the game is optional – the level cap, playing with other people, WvW, traits and skills (there was a person who used only a warhorn and damage on dodge roll to level to 80 and complete the personal story). Playing the game is optional. Just because something is optional does not mean how it is implemented won’t matter to the players who opt in. To those players, the amount of grind, the kind of grind, the difficulty of grind – all those things are going to matter. If they opt out, why not opt out of the game completely? “It’s optional” is a silly defence to a common criticism.

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

QueenHysteria.1084

A game that was the complete opposite of the grind life play style. You logged in with no sub, you made your character, followed the games main story, plenty of side quests, no focus on worrying about EXP bars or level caps." What has changed so much that you feel the need to worry about experience, or level cap?

This game has an excellent main story, plenty of side quests or events to take part in as well…..so why all of a sudden you feel the need to “grind” it out?

QueenHysteria.1084

Playing the game was engaging most of the time but never a burden since I could just log off and come back to it anytime and be right where I left off."

How has this game become a burden? Why aren’t you able to log on and off and be right where you left off?

QueenHysteria.1084

The biggest points of that game for me was the skill and class system

Never played he original GW and I’ve also heard good things about the class system too.

QueenHysteria.1084

threw in all the grinds of your average MMO. The Exp bar, the achievement system, the crafting, the dungeon grind, the gear grind, the PVP grind, the PVE grind, the Auction house,The Guild system, etc. etc. etc.

All optional, optional, optional.

Posted by: Onisuo.8607

Onisuo.8607

An MMORPG without the grind is a single player game. You know, the ones you play once through and forget about.

Posted by: Nqqb.2607

Nqqb.2607

Until there’s an endgame and actual loot drops I’m not going to be able to enjoy this game.
In GW1 even there were greens and such you could farm for. Here it’s just.. gold.. and for what? A legendary that’s not even needed? I’ve hit 80 with two characters and almost immediately lost interest because once you hit cap you’ll have enough gold to by full berzerk exotics and that’s all you need. There’s literally no point to this game. No final boss. Nothing.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

The lore of this game solely pushed me away, and to be honest I feel a bit heartbroken to what they have done to the story. It continues to elude me as to why someone would destroy the “spirit” of their game with one decision, to me at least that was a foul betrayal to their fans.

If they would of actually expanded on the original system I would be happy but they didn’t. The only two things I enjoyed from this game was Dynamic events & level scaling, other then that, it’s not much dynamic than a glass of water sitting in the sun.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If they would of actually expanded on the original system I would be happy but they didn’t. The only two things I enjoyed from this game was Dynamic events & level scaling, other then that, it’s not much dynamic than a glass of water sitting in the sun.

It’s basically not so much dynamic events, as it is “respawning events”. And they respawn quite quickly. I like the concept, but not the implementation.

The funny thing is, there are probably plenty of dynamic events that I’ve never even participated in. But without a quest log, it is impossible to tell. Then again, most dynamic events are all the same: Protect this area, protest this caravan, kill these waves, collect these items for that npc, and that’s about it.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)