I Gave Up On This Game Am I Wrong?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What gets me about this thread is that it’s still going on. Okay, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are two different games. No question about that at this point specifically.

The game is almost two years old. You’d think people who didn’t like the game would have got their refund at the time they could have, and moved on. Standing around repeating it again and again doesn’t change anything.

This game is not like Guild Wars 1. We get it.

It wasn’t like Guild Wars 1 a year ago. It’s not going to be like Guild Wars 1 next year.

When does it stop? When do people just accept this is a different game? What’s the point of reiterating it for this long.

Does it help them game? Is it constructive? Does it server a purpose?

If I never see another this game isn’t Guild Wars 1 thread, it won’t be too soon.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

The most minimal tiniest amount of research pre launch would have told you the level cap would be higher. I would have told you, just going to the Guild Wars 2 website pre launch in the combat article, that skills would be tied to weapons and there would be less of them. That you wouldn’t have the ability to pick all your skills. That a slot was dedicated to a healing skill.

You didn’t need a degree in research to look this stuff up. You had to read the website.

Right, I said it was “painstakingly clear”, so I’m not sure why there’s a need to repeat it?

Regardless, my point is that none of that compares to actually playing the game. The inverse to this situation is coming across a game you’ve avoided because it didn’t interesting you in the slightest – and then you fall in love with it. When I first heard of Demon’s Souls I wanted nothing to do with it. 5 years after it’s release and it ends up being in my top five.

Conversely I was really excited about all the changes coming to GW2 and supported nearly all of them, hoping they could achieve with GW2 what they wanted in GW1, yet I was disappointed. And no, I don’t want a refund; it’s well within the realm of possibility to criticize something you enjoy.

Still though: Did Guild Wars 2 have to be called “Guild Wars 2”? Sure, “haters gonna hate”, this is the internet after all and there are going to be people that’ll complain regardless, but I see no harm in not calling it GW2.

The game is almost two years old. You’d think people who didn’t like the game would have got their refund at the time they could have, and moved on. Standing around repeating it again and again doesn’t change anything.

Some would argue that that’s how the trait acquisition changes happened :P

(edited by Smith.1826)

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I went back to both Guild Wars and WoW. I think that this game feels too much Like a generic Free2play with a tyrian skin.

I do agree with the OP, deep down the existence of GW2 is something that upsets me, since it means :

Guild Wars ( Not Guild Wars 1, there is no Guild Wars 2) is not going to have any more updates or expansions.

A lot of the players that used to play it have left for GW2.

All Guild Wars needed was a graphical update, the ability to jump, swim, underwater zones. And a consistent world.

THAT is what I assumed that ArenaNet meant when they said " All the things you loved about Guild Wars." See The things I loved about Guild Wars are not present.

1. Hundreds of skills I can swap in and out as i wish.
2. Synergy Builds that work differently based on how you apply ability points.
3. Subclasses
4. Elite spell hunting by killing Boss Mobs.

The trait system doesn’t cut it, in my book.

So This game is not " Everything you loved from Guild Wars." They took everything I loved out, and added a bunch of stuff i care little about in.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Vayne.8563

I went back to both Guild Wars and WoW. I think that this game feels too much Like a generic Free2play with a tyrian skin.

I do agree with the OP, deep down the existence of GW2 is something that upsets me, since it means :

Guild Wars ( Not Guild Wars 1, there is no Guild Wars 2) is not going to have any more updates or expansions.

A lot of the players that used to play it have left for GW2.

All Guild Wars needed was a graphical update, the ability to jump, swim, underwater zones. And a consistent world.

THAT is what I assumed that ArenaNet meant when they said " All the things you loved about Guild Wars." See The things I loved about Guild Wars are not present.

1. Hundreds of skills I can swap in and out as i wish.
2. Synergy Builds that work differently based on how you apply ability points.
3. Subclasses
4. Elite spell hunting by killing Boss Mobs.

The trait system doesn’t cut it, in my book.

So This game is not " Everything you loved from Guild Wars." They took everything I loved out, and added a bunch of stuff i care little about in.

That’s true. You’ve quoted a single line from the manifesto. Tell me did you really not know before the game came out there wouldn’t be second professions? Did you really not know there wouldn’t be as many skills?

If not you should have known it for the last year and a half.

You know, I was a big Guild Wars 1 fan too, but it definitely had it’s faults.

And the stuff that you just wanted added, Z axis and persistent world…that changes things anyway.

Part of what made GW 1 so much fun was the instanced zones. You open those up and the whole game has to change. It’s a different dynamic altogether.

Nerelith.7360

What gets me about this thread is that it’s still going on. Okay, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are two different games. No question about that at this point specifically.

It wasn’t like Guild Wars 1 a year ago. It’s not going to be like Guild Wars 1 next year.

When does it stop? When do people just accept this is a different game? What’s the point of reiterating it for this long.

If I never see another this game isn’t Guild Wars 1 thread, it won’t be too soon.

The Moment you saw what type of threat it was you had the freedom to back out, and read another, what have you accomplished by discounting the OP’s points with a " hey… don’t like it tough" type response?

Does it help you game? Is it constructive? Does it server a purpose?

Is it even on topic?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Vayne.8563

The Moment you saw what type of threat it was you had the freedom to back out, and read another, what have you accomplished by discounting the OP’s points with a " hey… don’t like it tough" type response?

Is it even on topic?

Well, that’s the point. The OP made this post months ago. Someone resurrected it, just to agree with it. The stuff I’m saying now I could have said months ago too. But then, I think people should hear both sides of a story.

The story is that yes the game is different but people should have known before launch and had a chance to get a refund after launch. That’s completely 100% pertinent.

Everything else is simply a response to people responding to me.

Nerelith.7360

Is it even on topic?

Well, that’s the point. The OP made this post months ago. Someone resurrected it, just to agree with it. The stuff I’m saying now I could have said months ago too. But then, I think people should hear both sides of a story.

The story is that yes the game is different but people should have known before launch and had a chance to get a refund after launch. That’s completely 100% pertinent.

As someone above said the Trait system saw changes due to player push back. If you happen to be content with the game bully for you.

But Just because you are happy with the way it is now, doesn’t mean that those of us that expect better, should stop advocating for changes we would like to see.

I can understand why you wish to shut down any conversation about changes to the game. You are perfectly content with where it currently is.

I’m not.

Now since I paid for this game as much as you, I feel i have a right to advocate for what i would like the game to become, so no..I won’t Just " let the door hit me on the way out." :-)

Vayne.8563

Is it even on topic?

As someone above said the Trait system saw changes due to player push back. If you happen to be content with the game bully for you.

But Just because you are happy with the way it is now, doesn’t mean that those of us that expect better, should stop advocating for changes we would like to see.

I can understand why you wish to shut down any conversation about changes to the game. Yopu are perfectly content with where it currently is.

I’m not.

Now since I paid for this game as much as you, I feel i have a right to advocate for what i would like the game to become, so no..I won’t Just " let the door hit me on the way out." :-)

First of all, stick with what you know. I am not “perfectly” content with the changes to the game. That’s 100% false.

Secondly, I don’t shut down every thread that wants to change the game. That’s demonstrably false.

I have an opinion, I express the opinion. If you have a problem with what I’m saying, feel free to report it to the moderators.

My reply to the OP was on topic. Other people replied, I answered them.

If you can’t find complaint threads I haven’t posted in, you simply haven’t looked.

Nerelith.7360

Is it even on topic?

I can understand why you wish to shut down any conversation about changes to the game. Yopu are perfectly content with where it currently is.

I’m not.

First of all, stick with what you know. I am not “perfectly” content with the changes to the game. That’s 100% false.

Secondly, I don’t shut down every thread that wants to change the game. That’s demonstrably false.

I have an opinion, I express the opinion. If you have a problem with what I’m saying, feel free to report it to the moderators.

If you can’t find complaint threads I haven’t posted in, you simply haven’t looked.

I wasn’t the one saying

You’d think people who didn’t like the game would have got their refund at the time they could have, and moved on. Standing around repeating it again and again doesn’t change anything.

That is a way to shut down conversation.

That is Not" sharing an opinion" that is ushering people that you disagree with out the door.

Not going to waste my time reading EVERY thread to see if you might or might not have posted in it.

I will say that every post I do see by you, seems to be to rush to Arenanet’s defense, all the time.

NOT Posting a rebuttal to a complaint doesn’t mean you do not rush to Arenanet’s defense. Abnd since all I see by you are posts defending arenanet all the time, i got the impression you are 100 % satisfied with the game as it is. especially when I never see any complaints.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Vayne.8563

Is it even on topic?

I’m not.

I wasn’t the one saying “Why can’t people Just ask for a refund and leave?”

That is a way to shut down conversation.

That is Not" sharing an opinion" that is ushering people that you disagree with out the door.

But that’s not what I said. I said that people BACK THEN had the right to do that, and they didn’t. They hung around in a game that they knew wasn’t Guild Wars 1 and a year plus later then come to the forums to say this game isn’t Guild Wars 1.

I’m pointing out the fact that it shouldn’t at this point surprise anyone that this isn’t Guild Wars 1.

To put it another way.

If you come on here and say I want to see more skills, I have no problem. The only time I’ve ever posted in those threads are to say I agree. I’d like to see more skills.

When you come into a thread and say I want to see more skills because Guild Wars 1 had more skills, you’re pretty much shooting the issue in the foot.

If the issue is more skills, talk about more skills. If the issue is not enough build diversity (something I’ve said a number of times), talk about that.

Because they second you bring this game isn’t like Guild Wars 1 into it, you’re stepping on your own toes. Because it’s obviously not supposed to be like Guild Wars 1.

By all means argue for what you want to see in the game. Comparing it to Guild Wars 1 accomplished absolutely nothing.

Nerelith.7360

If you come on here and say I want to see more skills, I have no problem. The only time I’ve ever posted in those threads are to say I agree. I’d like to see more skills.

When you come into a thread and say I want to see more skills because Guild Wars 1 had more skills, you’re pretty much shooting the issue in the foot.

If the issue is more skills, talk about more skills. If the issue is not enough build diversity (something I’ve said a number of times), talk about that.

Because they second you bring this game isn’t like Guild Wars 1 into it, you’re stepping on your own toes. Because it’s obviously not supposed to be like Guild Wars 1.

By all means argue for what you want to see in the game. Comparing it to Guild Wars 1 accomplished absolutely nothing.

I do not care what you do or do not have a problem with. Your opinion isn’t that important to me.

As a buyer of the game I will express Myself as I see fit, if you like it great, if not, well, not much to be said about that. It just seems to me that you seem to feel that you need to defend the game No matter what, all the time, day in, day out, and I never see you Post any critiques, or to say " the OP has a Point Gw2 is weak when it comes to this and this."

All I am saying is, that… it does wound your credibility when all seems to be roses and daffodils according to you, and if anyone dares to say differently, you point them to the exit sign.

Vayne.8563

All I am saying is, that… it does wound your credibility when all seems to be roses and daffodils according to you, and if anyone dares to say differently, you point them to the exit sign.

Again, this isn’t what I’ve done and it isn’t what I’ve said. There are many people who have told other people to leave. I’m one of them. My response to the OP was talking about ancient history. I’ve repeated it, you continue to ignore it. What do you think that does to your credibility?

I’m not saying people now should get a refund. I’m saying in the PAST, when people first realized this wasn’t the same as Guild Wars 1, they had that opportunity. I’m saying that at this point, saying this game isn’t like Guild Wars 1 is simply counter productive.

I’m really not sure why you can’t see a difference.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Imagine if they made Star Craft 2 a moba game or Need for Speed an RTS. Your point is invalid.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Vayne.8563

Imagine if they made Star Craft 2 a moba game or Need for Speed an RTS. Your point is invalid.

My point is valid. If they made a Star Craft 2 moba and advertised it as a moba, then people shouldn’t complain. And two years after release, they should have long since gotten over it.

I mean Warcraft WAS an RTS. They made it into an MMORPG. I’m sure some people didn’t like it, but you know, a couple of years in, they realized it was a different game. Going to the WoW forums to complain WoW isn’t an RTS would have been silly.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

My point is valid. If they made a Star Craft 2 moba and advertised it as a moba, then people shouldn’t complain. And two years after release, they should have long since gotten over it.

I mean Warcraft WAS an RTS. They made it into an MMORPG. I’m sure some people didn’t like it, but you know, a couple of years in, they realized it was a different game. Going to the WoW forums to complain WoW isn’t an RTS would have been silly.

Again your point is invalid. Sure Warcraft is an RTS but they didn’t name WoW – Warcraft 4. I hope you understand that. Changing the core gameplay from one type into another and calling it continuation is completely different. Story wise it is acceptable.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The most minimal tiniest amount of research pre launch would have told you the level cap would be higher. I would have told you, just going to the Guild Wars 2 website pre launch in the combat article, that skills would be tied to weapons and there would be less of them. That you wouldn’t have the ability to pick all your skills. That a slot was dedicated to a healing skill.

You didn’t need a degree in research to look this stuff up. You had to read the website.

Right, I said it was “painstakingly clear”, so I’m not sure why there’s a need to repeat it?

Regardless, my point is that none of that compares to actually playing the game. The inverse to this situation is coming across a game you’ve avoided because it didn’t interesting you in the slightest – and then you fall in love with it. When I first heard of Demon’s Souls I wanted nothing to do with it. 5 years after it’s release and it ends up being in my top five.

Conversely I was really excited about all the changes coming to GW2 and supported nearly all of them, hoping they could achieve with GW2 what they wanted in GW1, yet I was disappointed. And no, I don’t want a refund; it’s well within the realm of possibility to criticize something you enjoy.

Still though: Did Guild Wars 2 have to be called “Guild Wars 2”? Sure, “haters gonna hate”, this is the internet after all and there are going to be people that’ll complain regardless, but I see no harm in not calling it GW2.

Some would argue that that’s how the trait acquisition changes happened :P

I hope you take this in the most positive light possible, as I’m honestly not trying to offend. I’m just trying to be objective and possibly help you realize something that may allow you to improve yourself.

In your post you mention 2 games: Demons Souls and GW2. Lets analyze your experience and expectations.

Demons Souls:
- You initially didn’t like it when researching it.
- You tried it and it ended up as one of your all time favorites.

GW2:
- You loved the ideas of it when doing research.
- You ended up hating it when you actually tried it.

Logically we can conclude that either your research methods are somehow flawed, or you misinterpreted the data. It is possible the data itself was flawed. Either way it points out a clear disconnect between you, your interpretation of video game preview data, and the conveyance of that data from its sources. Honestly this is a common thing, and it is only getting worse as the industry grows and more people become gamers. I don’t think any of us can say we were never disappointed with a game.

The lesson here? Devs/publishers/etc need to improve their conveyance of preview information. They need to be more clear and honest. But it’s very difficult because a lot of things need to remain a secret. We’ve seen how harmful it is to announce a feature that ends up being cut/delayed later (precursor crafting).

However, gamers also have a responsibility to actually use their brains and common sense. Gamers need to educate themselves about what is actually possible and how a game will actually end up working. Realistic expectations. If you constantly find yourself hating games you thought would be great, while loving games you never expected you’d enjoy, maybe you are having unrealistic expectations. After all, watching a video or reading an article is absolutely not the same as actually playing a game.

Vayne.8563

Again your point is invalid. Sure Warcraft is an RTS but they didn’t name WoW – Warcraft 4. I hope you understand that. Changing the core gameplay from one type into another and calling it continuation is completely different. Story wise it is acceptable.

You know, if you really think that at this point in time, saying that Guild Wars 2 isn’t like Guild Wars 1 has merit, that’s 100% completely fine with me. I won’t do you the disservice of calling your opinion invalid. Let everyone read your opinion and my opinion and make up their own mind about what is and isn’t valid.

I’m out of this thread, have fun all.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Both of you are kind of wrong. You are using an example in which a franchise completely changed genre. Warcraft was an RTS and became an MMO. The problem with the Guild Wars franchise is it started in a grey area. It wasn’t really an MMO. It was a multiplayer RPG, closer to Diablo honestly. GW2 is still a multiplayer RPG. It just so happens to have the “massively” part tacked on, which pushes it out of the grey area and puts it more clearly unto the MMO catagory.

Basically the shift of Warcraft 3 → WoW is way bigger than the shift of GW1 → GW2 on the spectrum of genre definitions.

By the way, as a game design student, I can say that fundamentally the gameplay mechanics of GW1 and GW2 aren’t really that alien to each other. Probably the two biggest differences are jumping and movement while casting. That is if we are talking about combat.

Nerelith.7360

Both of you are kind of wrong. You are using an example in which a franchise completely changed genre. Warcraft was an RTS and became an MMO. The problem with the Guild Wars franchise is it started in a grey area. It wasn’t really an MMO. It was a multiplayer RPG, closer to Diablo honestly. GW2 is still a multiplayer RPG. It just so happens to have the “massively” part tacked on, which pushes it out of the grey area and puts it more clearly unto the MMO catagory.

Basically the shift of Warcraft 3 -> WoW is way bigger than the shift of GW1 -> GW2 on the spectrum of genre definitions.

By the way, as a game design student, I can say that fundamentally the gameplay mechanics of GW1 and GW2 aren’t really that alien to each other. Probably the two biggest differences are jumping and movement while casting. That is if we are talking about combat.

You forgot the part where in Guild Wars (There is no Guild Wars 2) You had many more skills, you could also pick ANY 8 skills you wanted from 2 separate classes, you had to hunt down bosses and kill them with ONLY 7 skills, since one had to be a signet of capture, instead of 5 weapon locked abilities. You had 9 different categories Into which you could spend ability points that had a GREATER effect on skills, than traits do in Gw2 ( 5 from primary class + 4 from secondary). You also had skills that synergized with one another so that the whole was a lot greater than the sum of their parts in Guild Wars, In Gw2…not that much.

But aside from that you are right, except for jumping and moving while casting they are practically identical.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I hope you take this in the most positive light possible, as I’m honestly not trying to offend. I’m just trying to be objective and possibly help you realize something that may allow you to improve yourself.

In your post you mention 2 games: Demons Souls and GW2. Lets analyze your experience and expectations.

Demons Souls:
- You initially didn’t like it when researching it.
- You tried it and it ended up as one of your all time favorites.

GW2:
- You loved the ideas of it when doing research.
- You ended up hating it when you actually tried it.

Logically we can conclude that either your research methods are somehow flawed, or you misinterpreted the data.

You’re assuming, quite heavily, that both games didn’t end up being exactly what I thought they’d be.

After all, watching a video or reading an article is absolutely not the same as actually playing a game.

Exactly the other half of the point I was trying to make.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You forgot the part where in Guild Wars (There is no Guild Wars 2) You had many more skills, you could also pick ANY 8 skills you wanted from 2 separate classes, you had to hunt down bosses and kill them with ONLY 7 skills, since one had to be a signet of capture, instead of 5 weapon locked abilities. You had 9 different categories Into which you could spend ability points that had a GREATER effect on skills, than traits do in Gw2 ( 5 from primary class + 4 from secondary). You also had skills that synergized with one another so that the whole was a lot greater than the sum of their parts in Guild Wars, In Gw2…not that much.

And in GW1 it was also possible . . . not easy, but possible, to do most of the content without ever bringing another human player to the party. It also wound up making a class obsolete for one primary purpose (Monks with Healing Prayers vs Ritualists with Restoration Magic) and for a period one class was “godmode” (Perma Shadow Form Assassins).

The most amount of allied players you could get into one mission was technically 16 (assuming you could sync into Vizunah Square) but really 12 for some elite missions and 8 for everywhere else end-game. Therefore, guilds/alliances really were a more social thing than being able to field all that potential into one thing.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: kntz.1420

kntz.1420

«I Gave Up On This Game Am I Wrong?»

No, you aren’t.

GW2 will be perfect when take from other games what they have made better and to make the best. This is the secret of Warcraft in this last decade. We need open world, no more square boundaries, no more PvP progress independent from PvE, working and interesting crafting. So copy arenas from WoW, copy contextual sceneries and ambience of challenge from ArcheAge, allow real progression.

At last, we need GW3.

Posted by: Muddkipz.8906

Muddkipz.8906

Your a game design student and you think those are the only differences? Oh boy.

Guild wars had an actual penalty for death, non of this kiddy pool armor damage/repair system they copy/pasted from wow. A few deaths on key players like the monk caused your team to become hyper focused on staying alive and getting kills so you can gain exp to work off the death penalty.

Along with the death penalty there was the morale boost which was the only way to recharge a resurrection signet. Res signet was mandatory in pvp because getting allies back into the fight as soon as possible is a huge tactical advantage. Morale boosts allowed gw pvp to have amazing secondary objectives that had nothing to do with the actual win condition of the match but were so important they were the primary focus of the match. The downed state was a stupid idea from the moment it was announced before gw2 was even released.

Also guild wars had collision detection and blocking enemy players was very important part of combat that took skill.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I miss many of the skills from GW1. Many of the necromancer skills… Ray of Judgment… The Ritualist (my favourite profession OF ALL TIME)

I wish Anet would integrate some of the GW1 aspects that worked well, into GW2.

I remember first hearing about GW2 and the combat system and my initial thought was ‘oh hells naw. Guess I’m not buying that’, because it showed a dev talking about how you could control where to place spells and such, and I, well, am not good at PvP, let alone good at being so click-heavy when it comes to combat.

But I got used to placing spells manually on the ground and all that, and ultimately found myself enjoying it more than GW1’s stay-in-one-spot-while-casting-your-spells combat.

I must say I like GW2’s manual-style combat, but not so much the variety in spells and traits. For example, I don’t really like the GW2’s necro spells and traits (except the ‘fear’ condition – that’s A LOT of fun!), but loved the GW1 necro’s spells and traits (like soul reaping, I loved getting healed whenever a person died around me for example. I REALLY miss that).

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

GW1’s overall pvp system was much more enjoyable than what we currently have. GW1 had a way bigger pvp community than this as well.

Downed state alone in GW2 pvp makes it just utterly stupid.
Why the heck do I have to beat someone TWICE? Just had a good duel, I got him dead first but ofc im a bit low on health too… o wait here comes a random scrub spamming 1 on me and now im dead and don’t get credit for anything…. great system you got there… downed state is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen in any MMO… which is one of the many reasons why gw2 pvp isn’t even close to e-sports lol.

also, skyhammer.

Its sad but pvp is the absolute last thing on anet’s “want to do” list. they literally could care less about it and its pretty evident.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Its sad but pvp is the absolute last thing on anet’s “want to do” list. they literally could care less about it and its pretty evident.

The odd thing is, that almost feels like what the last couple years before GW2 in GW1 were like, aside from the usual balance patches. It just . . . was kind of there.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lol d3. That is a great example of how to make a p2w game that kills a great series. I love d2 and lod but d3 is absolute garbage with every patch being wtf why ? If you think this last patch is the savior, you must not have read all the patch notes completely. While the removal of the rmah is a great change. It’s complete counteracted by legendaries and elite set are now account bound with the ONLY POSSIBILITY to trade them is a 2 hour window with players who were present during drop. Lol yeah have fun with that gem.

Gw2 by no means is perfect. As it’s been beaten already the skills being dumb down for the masses, plague of players who think their every action deserts exotic, ascended and precursor drops ( what games doesn’t have this though ), dungeon that give out now 2nd bis gear easy mode.

Lmmmao gem store is p2w. Please flatter Me more with how the skins that give no stats make me op. K thx

what a hypocrite, the exact same thing that made D3 p2w makes GW2 p2w. D3 use real money buy items off RMAH. GW2 use real money buy gems then buy item off TP.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Comparing it to Guild Wars 1 accomplished absolutely nothing.

Unless someone wants to use GW1 as an example, then they’ve accomplished something by illustrating their point.

Mind blown enough for you?

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

The odd thing is, that almost feels like what the last couple years before GW2 in GW1 were like, aside from the usual balance patches. It just . . . was kind of there.

We both know that’s not because of GW’s original design principles. ANet’s philosophy changed over the years and wanted the game to shift to the PvE side, and they did just that. Not to mention power/skill creep being a huge factor in the disillusionment of the PvP community.

Calling early GW and late GW the same thing is like calling Roth’s Van Halen and Hagar’s Van Halen the same thing…

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Comparing Sequels to originals never works, I can give you a perfect example of what a difference there can be :-

drum-roll**

Dragon Age / Awakenings

to

Dragon Age II

Epic Success to Epic Fail in 1 generation !!!

Tobias Trueflight.8350

We both know that’s not because of GW’s original design principles. ANet’s philosophy changed over the years and wanted the game to shift to the PvE side, and they did just that. Not to mention power/skill creep being a huge factor in the disillusionment of the PvP community.

Calling early GW and late GW the same thing is like calling Roth’s Van Halen and Hagar’s Van Halen the same thing…

And yet, people aren’t differentiating, and as such we have a problem you put your finger on. ANet started focusing on PvE because . . . and I recall seeing this in a Q&A but can’t find it again . . . they intended the first game’s PvE to be a somewhat learning process to get the player to learn the basics of the system and then immediately jump into PvP. That . . . didn’t happen, for an overwhelming amount of players, so they shifted gears.

In short, even way back then the players and ANet weren’t in tune for the game’s ultimate purpose. (What a shocker.)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Comparing Sequels to originals never works, I can give you a perfect example of what a difference there can be

You skipped the easy target of Highlander movies for this target? Shame on you. Though I understand if they’d made any Matrix sequels, they could qualify easily.

Vayne.8563

Comparing it to Guild Wars 1 accomplished absolutely nothing.

Unless someone wants to use GW1 as an example, then they’ve accomplished something by illustrating their point.

Mind blown enough for you?

The only thing that blows my mind is how blatantly you ignored my point. Yes anyone can compare anything to anything. That’s true.

I was talking about the value of taking a game that is clearly not meant to be another game, and saying it’s not like the other game.

It’s like taking a green apple and saying it’s not a red apple. Well yeah. They’re both apples but they’re different. You can say it…but it’s sort of obvious and brings nothing to the table.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Your a game design student and you think those are the only differences? Oh boy.

Guild wars had an actual penalty for death, non of this kiddy pool armor damage/repair system they copy/pasted from wow. A few deaths on key players like the monk caused your team to become hyper focused on staying alive and getting kills so you can gain exp to work off the death penalty.

Along with the death penalty there was the morale boost which was the only way to recharge a resurrection signet. Res signet was mandatory in pvp because getting allies back into the fight as soon as possible is a huge tactical advantage. Morale boosts allowed gw pvp to have amazing secondary objectives that had nothing to do with the actual win condition of the match but were so important they were the primary focus of the match. The downed state was a stupid idea from the moment it was announced before gw2 was even released.

Also guild wars had collision detection and blocking enemy players was very important part of combat that took skill.

I don’t PvP or really want to comment more on the down state (I don’t like it either and I think we should just have hardmode dungeons where you can’t res anyone).

However, I completely disagree with your first point. Death it itself is a penalty, I don’t like dying, you don’t like dying, no one thinks dying is fun and we all try to avoid dying. So what is the point of death penalties? You’re trying to avoid dying already and when you die, you get a bit annoyed. So all that penalty does is add injury to insult, it serves no purpose whatsoever.

That’s why you don’t see MMOs with harsh death penalties anymore. It doesn’t add anything to the game apart from frustrating the player, and the player doesn’t like to be frustrated playing a game.

Posted by: Muddkipz.8906

Muddkipz.8906

But it did add something to the game. When the match first starts your only really thinking about killing the enemy, once your monk died a few times it completely shifts your focus to playing more defensively to take pressure off of the monk and being more calculated in who you try to kill so your monk can get exp to remove that penalty. Besides getting the entire enemy team to -60% was a win condition.

The armor damage/repair system isn’t really a penalty its annoyance. My armor getting damaged dosnt make me change the way I approach a fight it just annoys me that I have to stop what im doing and go back to town and talk to an npc.

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

The game is almost two years old. You’d think people who didn’t like the game would have got their refund at the time they could have, and moved on.

People can’t like the game, but want more from it??! Especially when Anet has said they will add many of these things, skills as one of the primary ones.

You know, um, that even GW1 started with few skills and added them.

I don’t think there is anything crazy about people playing the game, sticking with it, and expecting them to add them.

And on top of that Anet has said that they will add them.

So… don’t get your shallow argument that has no substance. People like this game, play it, and want more from it. Not to hard to understand.

(edited by petespri.6548)

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

It’s interesting to read these sorts of threads. I usually agree with most of the points made. I didn’t play the original GW but I can understand the disappointment in GW2. I am mostly hopeful for the future of the game and am enjoying it still, but I can’t help but want to cry out for change and new content beyond a new chapter of story. When the story is over players need more to do than stand at the TP or GRIND for a Legendary. The game seems to be based around aesthetics at end game, collecting new skins, but the only new skins going into the game seems to be through the gem store. ANet’s gotta make money but they need to get players invested in the game before they will invest in the gem store. I think thats partly my beef. Getting a new look is super exciting but the methods of doing so feel limited. It’s too easy to stand in LA and not have anything to do. Capped out in PvP and glory points don’t get you anywhere anymore… can’t make myself do another dungeon for the millionth time… nothing going on in WvW… now what? (for the record that was rhetorical :P)

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

This game is nothing like WoW – I don’t get at all where that idea comes from. World of Warcraft has well defined class roles, loads of group content (that’s mostly instanced), an open world unrestricted by loading screens, and content that requires dedication and raiding to advance this game doesn’t have the depth of WoW. On the other hand, GW2’s combat is far more reactive and interactive. Guild Wars 2 has plenty of drop in, drop out content. That’s fun, for a while. I’d rather have quests for factions, raids, mounts, and quests. Both games are great, but they’re incredibly far apart in implementation and philosophy.

Kohlteth.3715

Comparing Sequels to originals never works, I can give you a perfect example of what a difference there can be

You skipped the easy target of Highlander movies for this target? Shame on you. Though I understand if they’d made any Matrix sequels, they could qualify easily.

Then again Prequels can be the same … Look at Star Wars Episode IV / V/ VI compared to I/II/III …. Jar Jar Binks, nuff said lol !

Kohlteth.3715

«I Gave Up On This Game Am I Wrong?»

No, you aren’t.

GW2 will be perfect when take from other games what they have made better and to make the best. This is the secret of Warcraft in this last decade. We need open world, no more square boundaries, no more PvP progress independent from PvE, working and interesting crafting. So copy arenas from WoW, copy contextual sceneries and ambience of challenge from ArcheAge, allow real progression.

At last, we need GW3.

Or better still copy nothing from WoW, many came here to get away from Blizzards PITA game, arenas ruined WoW, and lets leave them there !

WvW and sPvP can stay as they are maybe more maps for WvW and more WP’s but we do not need arenas. This game is not meant to be a PvP only game, as they even stated when they first made it…….

Please do not encourage them to turn this into the nitemare that is now WoW ….

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over and expecting different results.

After almost 2 yrs of GW2 being out – it’s pretty clear what direction the game is going.

If you like it – great.

If you don’t – Find another game. I happen to follow this ideal. As much as I wanted to like GW2 – in the end it simply didn’t offer enough content or depth to keep me interested.

I check back now and again to see if something interesting is going on but for the most part GW2 is just another icon on my desktop now.

The game is not going to fundamentally change. So, threads like this are nothing more then wasted time.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Bolthar.7192

The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over and expecting different results.

After almost 2 yrs of GW2 being out – it’s pretty clear what direction the game is going.

If you like it – great.

If you don’t – Find another game. I happen to follow this ideal. As much as I wanted to like GW2 – in the end it simply didn’t offer enough content or depth to keep me interested.

I check back now and again to see if something interesting is going on but for the most part GW2 is just another icon on my desktop now.

The game is not going to fundamentally change. So, threads like this are nothing more then wasted time.

Threads like these are only a waste of time to individuals that read through them only to complain that they were there to be read. The poster is has every right to express how they feel. They were a long time fan and customer of Arena Net’s product and feel let down by what the company has done or hasn’t done. If you don’t like a game, sure don’t play it. But if you like a game, feel or felt passionately about that game but are disappointed in how it’s panned out, by all means express yourself. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with people expressing themselves about things they are passionate about.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

If you like it – great.

Threads like these are only a waste of time to individuals that read through them only to complain that they were there to be read. The poster is has every right to express how they feel. They were a long time fan and customer of Arena Net’s product and feel let down by what the company has done or hasn’t done. If you don’t like a game, sure don’t play it. But if you like a game, feel or felt passionately about that game but are disappointed in how it’s panned out, by all means express yourself. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with people expressing themselves about things they are passionate about.

From release until now the game has changed very little in overall design.

Once could easily assume then the direction of the game.

Them not liking it is understandable but, Thinking a forum post has any impact at all on Anet’s direction for GW2 is laughable.

The game is what it is.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Bolthar.7192

If you like it – great.

From release until now the game has changed very little in overall design.

Once could easily assume then the direction of the game.

Them not liking it is understandable but, Thinking a forum post has any impact at all on Anet’s direction for GW2 is laughable.

The game is what it is.

And perhaps the OP’s intention isn’t to have an impact on the direction of the game but rather just to express their opinions. That aside, some changes have been made to the game based on player input. As an example I offer the world boss event timers.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Then again Prequels can be the same … Look at Star Wars Episode IV / V/ VI compared to I/II/III …. Jar Jar Binks, nuff said lol !

I don’t know who you’re talking about, there are no such thing as gungans in Star Wars, and certainly not even a remote chance of a CGI Yoda instead of the Jim Henson puppet.

. . . though in seriousness and not in sarcasm, the Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars prove it’s a questionable idea to go back to your franchise after a lot of time has passed. Also on this list (despite how much I enjoy it) is Doctor Who . . . where the revival has a different feel for it than the classic and your mileage may vary on how that works for you.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And perhaps the OP’s intention isn’t to have an impact on the direction of the game but rather just to express their opinions. That aside, some changes have been made to the game based on player input. As an example I offer the world boss event timers.

You can also add in the Daily/Monthly revamp which was done (three times), Champion Loot Bags, Account-binding Dyes, Wardrobe, not being able to revive ranger pets, the Story Journal, the Wallet . . .

Kohlteth.3715

I don’t know who you’re talking about, there are no such thing as gungans in Star Wars, and certainly not even a remote chance of a CGI Yoda instead of the Jim Henson puppet.

. . . though in seriousness and not in sarcasm, the Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars prove it’s a questionable idea to go back to your franchise after a lot of time has passed. Also on this list (despite how much I enjoy it) is Doctor Who . . . where the revival has a different feel for it than the classic and your mileage may vary on how that works for you.

Lol well being English, I have to say since BBC Wales took over it got ruined. Heck Daleks do NOT fly !!

Back on topic …… I think they are trying with GW2, but Devs being held back by share holders screaming for more money so limited in what they can do !

Hence why no new skins apart from Gem store ( I still think they should be like AP skins, no transmute stone charge, since you PAID for it already )

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Back on topic …… I think they are trying with GW2, but Devs being held back by share holders screaming for more money so limited in what they can do !

This is why it’s usually foolish to try an MMO, because the people who sign your checks want guaranteed money. And, huh, that World of Warcraft thingy is making a lot of money and getting a lot of players so maybe we should . . .

And then there’s the point about offering a game which is “pay once and done” – servers take money to run, people need to get paid, so there has to be some reason for more money to get forked over on a semiregular basis. Either in new players buying in or cash shop stuff.

To quote, not in the same context, the person I am replying to:

Hence why no new skins apart from Gem store

Though “no new skins” is not technically true, because there’s stuff which gets added which you can get. Champion bags added a handful of interesting exotic skins, there were some during Living Story, there was the recent Sovereign skins . . . and then the WvW skins you got for Season 2.

Finally, the inclusion of the Wardrobe now allows most skins to get saved up . . . so long as Transmutation Charges are a gemstore item (or popped out of Black Lion Chests) then allowing replication of gemstore-purchased skins doesn’t seem too terrible.

At least, I say that until I remember there are players who probably have like 100 charges saved up anyway . . .

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I was talking about the value of taking a game that is clearly not meant to be another game, and saying it’s not like the other game.

It’s like taking a green apple and saying it’s not a red apple.

brings nothing to the table.

However, unlike a green apple, GW2 can be changed, not just completely redesigned to be GW1 – but it can be changed. A green apple, on the other hand, will always be a green apple. Even if they paint it red, it is still a green apple.

GW2 isn’t stagnant and can include changes and new features.

Vayne.8563

The game is almost two years old. You’d think people who didn’t like the game would have got their refund at the time they could have, and moved on.

People can’t like the game, but want more from it??! Especially when Anet has said they will add many of these things, skills as one of the primary ones.

You know, um, that even GW1 started with few skills and added them.

I don’t think there is anything crazy about people playing the game, sticking with it, and expecting them to add them.

And on top of that Anet has said that they will add them.

So… don’t get your shallow argument that has no substance. People like this game, play it, and want more from it. Not to hard to understand.

You must be reading different posts than I. First of all the title of this topic is about someone having given up on this game. That doesn’t sound like someone who likes the game. And if you look at some of the people I’m talking to, who do pretty much nothing but badmouth the game, I just don’t see where you’re coming from.

Of course you can like the game and still want it to improve. Hell, I like the game and still want it to improve.

But many of the people I’m talking to quite clearly don’t like the game.