in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Norreka.8407

Norreka.8407

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

The Kite should be a balloon.

Because there is no way that a real kite hovers when you’re not moving. a real kite should hover high when you are running.

The behaviour of the kite in game is of a balloon.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Oh my gosh! Nerf the kite already! It’s so over powered! (Just adding to the current list of complaints is all)

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Thankee, Anet for the great Kite!

Well you know. Anet just loves you gem-buyers a little bid more. Thats how it works in F2P games.

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

Thank you Anet for this amazing gift, really make me respect you more for this kind of importance you gave to us. Thanks you and GG

Funny how it makes you respect them more and me respect them less. but then again.. I guess thats the whole point isn’t it.

I see the gem-store are kryptonite to GW2.

Anet is now focusing on the gem-store in stead of expansion gving you stuff like temporary content to get people to buy stuff and gift to gem-buyers. There is a reason I never play F2P games but I did go for GW2.

Sadly enough GW2 starts to look more like a F2P game then a B2P game. With as only difference that you had to pay to get it. They sort of combine the worst of two worlds.

Somehow I hope they will soon start focusing on expansions again and lose there focus on the gem-store.

On the other hand.. The kites also have a function as Badge of Shame. Everybody can now see who buys gems and so helps to keep the gem-store focus alive.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The Kite should be a balloon.

Because there is no way that a real kite hovers when you’re not moving. a real kite should hover high when you are running.

The behaviour of the kite in game is of a balloon.

Have you ever flown a kite? Some times you have to move to get it to launch but once the wind gets it you can stand there and fly it until the wind dies down. When you are running with one it actually does fly behind you like in the animation.

The Burninator

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

On the other hand.. The kites also have a function as Badge of Shame. Everybody can now see who buys gems and so helps to keep the gem-store focus alive.

Oh yes, how shameful it is that we chose to support the game we enjoy playing.

I will now hide in the corner (with my kite), while you continue to play the game we helped pay for.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Thank you Anet for this amazing gift, really make me respect you more for this kind of importance you gave to us. Thanks you and GG

Funny how it makes you respect them more and me respect them less. but then again.. I guess thats the whole point isn’t it.

Anet is now focusing on the gem-store in stead of expansion gving you stuff like temporary content to get people to buy stuff and gift to gem-buyers. There is a reason I never play F2P games but I did go for GW2.

Sadly enough GW2 starts to look more like a F2P game then a B2P game. With as only difference that you had to pay to get it. They sort of combine the worst of two worlds.

Somehow I hope they will soon start focusing on expansions again and lose there focus on the gem-store.

hahahaha!
sure ftP- where you pay for level unlocks, content, stats, to be able to trade the list goes on and on…. Maybe you should pop into a FtP game sometime to see just how they operate.
Anyway your idea of shame and mine must not come from the same dictionary- I will play with my Kite proudly just to remind the likes of you why you get to play for free.

Gunnar’s Hold

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

I will now hide in the corner (with my kite), while you continue to play the game we helped pay for.

Guess what, everybody payed for it and if an expansion would be released many would also pay for that. Buying gems does not help the game, it makes it worse as it results in a gem-store focus and that gem-store focus results in bad behavior like making temporary content and stuff.

So no, you did not help the game. Not for anybody that does not like the gem-store focus / temporary content and whatever more comes from that focus.

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

hahahaha!
sure ftP- where you pay for level unlocks, content, stats, to be able to trade the list goes on and on…. Maybe you should pop into a FtP game sometime to see just how they operate.
Anyway your idea of shame and mine must not come from the same dictionary- I will play with my Kite proudly just to remind the likes of you why you get to play for free.

I don’t play for free I did buy the game and I would not play for free because I don’t like the cash-shop focus in those games, besides I payed more then many people who did buy the game AND did buy gems. So thats not the point.

I did pop in to those games and I did not like them. Thats why I went for a B2P game. But it’s not true all F2P games are just about P2W, your content example is already in GW2 as they made stuff temporary.

The stuff Anet does is just as much of negative F2P behavior as anything also without the P2W part.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Guess what, everybody payed for it and if an expansion would be released many would also pay for that. Buying gems does not help the game, it makes it worse as it results in a gem-store focus and that gem-store focus results in bad behavior like making temporary content and stuff.

So no, you did not help the game. Not for anybody that does not like the gem-store focus / temporary content and whatever more comes from that focus.

I am perfectly fine giving anet more of my money. For the same price as a console game I would beat in 40hrs and never play again, I have played this game for over 2000 hours. By my calculations, I still owe anet over $3000 lol.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

I Love the Kite!

JustTrogdor.7892

This is an appreciation thread for getting the kites. Please try not to contaminate it with lack of appreciation banter. There are already other threads for the “but it’s not fair because I didn’t get one” crowd.

The Burninator

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

For all the kite lovers! http://youtu.be/KBXdTdaeSr0

Thanks for that, inazuma.7021! The unexpected kite gift made me smile and your video made me smile even more.

I am glad ANet surprised us with this gift. I prefer that over any announcements saying it is coming.

We got this because we give each other gem cards for birthdays, etc. so asking to be gifted gem cards is a nice way of staying in the loop for things like this.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Have you ever flown a kite? Some times you have to move to get it to launch but once the wind gets it you can stand there and fly it until the wind dies down. When you are running with one it actually does fly behind you like in the animation.

If the wind is good enough (ie. gale-forced) and not just at ground-level, you can make it fly almost literally up into the clouds. I remember years ago I had a massive kite that I attached to a one-kilometer length of twine, and the wind was so strong that it took the whole roll; so much so that it was actually a big effort to wind it in. At one stage it was a danger to low-flying aircraft. :P

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

I just want to say thanks to ArenaNet for my new kite. It was a great surprise to get in the mail.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Awesome addition to the game, I really love how it works with transformations too.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

I Love the Kite!

Nabrok.9023

Awesome addition to the game, I really love how it works with transformations too.

You can also bring it out when you are dead.

All classes

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

I am perfectly fine giving anet more of my money. For the same price as a console game I would beat in 40hrs and never play again, I have played this game for over 2000 hours. By my calculations, I still owe anet over $3000 lol.

Console game? I don’t play console games so maybe thats where our different points of view come from. My references are games like BattleField 1942, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory but even a game like Battlefield 3 kept me busy for at least 1,5 with the premium pack. Meaning it is 90 Euro to keep you busy for 1,5 year. And then that was still bad compared to BF1942 knowing that BF3 required the premium pack to get the same amount of content as BF1942 did without expansions.

But lets say subscription-based games are the standard.. they aren’t looking all the sub-based games of the last years failed as a sub-based game. then it would still be 50 + 15 × 12 = 230. And that did not work for them (the last years).

Just to get an idea.. most console games cost about 60 dollar so thats 3000 / 60 = 50. 365 / 7,5 days. And then I forgot about the fact that you payed for the GW2, you most likely did buy gems and GW2 is not a year old. But still you own them 3000 dollar. Hmm you have pretty low expectations of games if you think 60 dollars for a game should pay you less then 7,5 days of play-time.

So I say a game of that price would need to keep you busy for 1 / 1,5 year and am I willing to pay again after that time. Sure. Come with an expansion and I will.

No the problem is that when gem-store works they won’t focus on expansions but on gem-store meaning you get decisions in the game based on the gem-store not on whats better for the game and in fact it might make the game worse. Like temporary content for example.

So it’s not about even about if they should get money or not it’s about how the way you give money affects the game in a positive or a negative way.

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

This is an appreciation thread for getting the kites. Please try not to contaminate it with lack of appreciation banter. There are already other threads for the “but it’s not fair because I didn’t get one” crowd.

Luckily it’s not about “but it’s not fair because I didn’t get one”. I do agree with that point but it’s not the point I was making.

PS this was the correct threat as is was directed to the gem-buyers and they will be here, not in those other threads.

But thats all I had to say so go on thanking Anet for how awesome there are turning it into a F2P game.

(edited by Devata.6589)

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: DallasisaLeo.1584

DallasisaLeo.1584

I’m not thrilled with my kite. It’s cool, I guess. But you know what? It was free. I didn’t expect to get it, and I’m thankful for the surprise. I give companies my money because I feel like they deserve it. If you don’t feel like they deserve your money, don’t give it to them (but don’t ask why you weren’t compensated for something you didn’t do)! And since when is it a bad thing for a company to randomly thank its customers for their support? As far as I’m concerned, it’s a fantastic business practice to send thank you letters to customers. If you’re bitter, I don’t know what to tell you. This is a TINY gift that does nothing more than put a smile on the faces of people who got it. It doesn’t give us any sort of gameplay advantage, and you’re still free to play the game normally without buying it. And it’s not like you’re left in the dust either. You can buy these things on the gemstore if you want. So relax!

The entitlement of gamers astounds me. I could justify it when I was playing WoW, but I don’t know how GW2 players rationalize either: “This free gift isn’t good enough.” or: “Why am I not entitled to free things when I didn’t support you financially?”

(edited by DallasisaLeo.1584)

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Luckily it’s not about “but it’s not fair because I didn’t get one”. I do agree with that point but it’s not the point I was making.

PS this was the correct threat as is was directed to the gem-buyers and they will be here, not in those other threads.

But thats all I had to say so go on thanking Anet for how awesome there are turning it into a F2P game.

I am pretty sure they will never make GW2 f2p, they didn’t do that with GW1 so why should they do it with GW2?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

I am pretty sure they will never make GW2 f2p, they didn’t do that with GW1 so why should they do it with GW2?

It’s not about the question if you need to pay for the game once. It’s how they support it after that. No expansion to buy means they need to focus on gem-stores like a F2P game. So while they do charge money for the original copy they are now working in a more F2P business model with there gem-store focus. However there any many threads about that already like https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-Much-Temporary-Content-Can-Only-Harm-GW2/page/12#post2425046 and https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-unlikely-to-get-expansions-Interview/page/11#post2424875 .

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

(but don’t ask why you weren’t compensated for something you didn’t do)!

The entitlement of gamers astounds me. I could justify it when I was playing WoW, but I don’t know how GW2 players rationalize either: “This free gift isn’t good enough.” or: “Why am I not entitled to free things when I didn’t support you financially?”

It’s not about entitlement it’s about how gem-store focus is bad for the game. But to still give you an answer.

Gem-buyers where already compensated for payment in gems gems so it’s an ‘extra’ compensation for buying gems where there is no ‘extra’ compensation for buying the game. So thats not really a valid point.

And everybody did support them financially not only the gem-buyers so also thats not valid.

But once again.. the point was the gem-store focus itself and how imo it change the game in a bad way. Not about how anybody is entitled to anything.

I Love the Kite!

Nabrok.9023

Oh relax, there isn’t a single thing on the gem store that you “need” to buy. This is not anywhere close to where most F2P games are.

And a lot of people like the temporary content, and honestly I don’t really want an expansion if it means I need to regear all my characters. No thanks.

All classes

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

Oh relax, there isn’t a single thing on the gem store that you “need” to buy. This is not anywhere close to where most F2P games are.

And a lot of people like the temporary content, and honestly I don’t really want an expansion if it means I need to regear all my characters. No thanks.

It’s not about the need to buy it’s the pressure to buy and thats what they do with making stuff temporary.

Now you may not mind temporary content by I and many other do not like it. Have a look at the reactions under this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6GK3bxGuk (that was after asked to leave a message if you did not agree but still)

And needing to regear is not depended on an expansion. They can make expansions where it is not needed and they can add content with the living story that does require it. But if you really want to talk more about this I would suggest to PM me as it’s now already going on more then my intention was in this thread.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I dont want an expansion either. I’d rather see new zones, races, weapons, etc introduced with this living story mechanic. It is much worth it then a regular expansion because keeps people busy ever 2 weeks and not like rushers finishing the whole map and getting the legendary in 2 months and then complaining there is no endgame

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Kind of dumb that they are limiting the time of gem purchases. I bought $60+ worth of gems since launch and if I didn’t buy any in the last 3 months I wouldn’t have gotten this?

Didn’t we get some free minis for buying gems before this?

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Just to get an idea.. most console games cost about 60 dollar so thats 3000 / 60 = 50. 365 / 7,5 days. And then I forgot about the fact that you payed for the GW2, you most likely did buy gems and GW2 is not a year old. But still you own them 3000 dollar. Hmm you have pretty low expectations of games if you think 60 dollars for a game should pay you less then 7,5 days of play-time.

That’s some fuzzy math you got there lol. I still can’t figure out how you got 7.5 days lol.
My calculation is not even including the 7000+ hours I put into gw1

Edit: I think you’re just mad you didn’t get a kite lol

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

(edited by Quick Mouse.7635)

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

That’s some fuzzy math you got there lol. I still can’t figure out how you got 7.5 days lol.
Edit: I think you’re just mad you didn’t get a kite lol

I presumed GW2 already existed for a year.. It’s less but that would only make the number (7,5) smaller. You say you own Anet 3000 dollar as you compare it to your console game sales / time spend. Most console games sell for about 60 dollar. So I divide 3000 by 60 thats 50 console-games you can buy for that 3000 dollar. Now one year (as if GW2 already exist for one year) has 365 days. So I divide 365 days by 50 to see how much time you expect to get from one game. Thats 7,3 days to be exact. Rounded to 7,5 day’s for one console-game.

Hope to have answered your question and else you can PM me.

@ Your edit: No, check this https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-Much-Temporary-Content-Can-Only-Harm-GW2/page/12#post2425899 or this https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-unlikely-to-get-expansions-Interview/page/11#post2426040 thread. Then you see I am already talking about the gem-store focus for much longer. Nice try in ending a argument with a useless accusation. You see that a lot in on-line discussions when people don’t have a valid argument against it. But in this case there is a valid one.. Just say.. Oow I love a gem-store focus. I love how they pressure people to play and buy gems because I buy them anyway.. And then we agree to disagree on that part. You see, very easy.

@Ronah
You can still have regular patches and have those work up to an expansion. Then you have what you want but with an expansion and so no need for a gem-store focus.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Ignoring the bickering and just want to say thank you for the kite. This was one of the items I was waiting for with this update, and glad to have received one. Absolutely love it.

Attachments:

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Ambrosia.2035

Ambrosia.2035

The Kite is so awesome!

The Flute is more awesome!

The Kite playing the Flute would be awesomeness-est!

Howdy (.)

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Dabis.6240

Dabis.6240

They gave you a free item for being a paying customer on their game? Time to complain on the forums!

But really, it’s silly to argue that this is a crooked or bad practice at all on their part. All they are doing is showing their appreciation towards those who help keep this game funded, by rewarding them with new items that would normally cost ~$5, or 15-20g. If you’re worried about being left out of these free item giveaways, the solution is simple: buy gems decently often like the people who got kites, and you’ll get the reward when it comes as well.

If they announced beforehand that from x date to x date, if you buy gems, you will receive x item, people would buy $10 worth of gems just so they could get the free $5 item, and may not buy gems at times when they know they won’t get free stuff from it. It’s a way of saying thanks to those who, without expecting additional rewards, decided to help continue to fund Anet, and I see nothing wrong with it.

I received the wind kite today in my mail, and I am absolutely loving it thus far, plus I also got the free pet pack during dragon bash as well. However, it has been some time since I purchased gems now, so it’s entirely possible I may miss the next free giveaway, and I’m not at all mad about that. I know I could buy gems right now, and probably easily find something to use them on, but I have never, and will never buy gems specifically for the purpose of trying to get handouts from Anet. That’s why I think their current freebie system is working just fine; it rewards those who support them regardless of whether they get handouts or not.

PS – Thanks for the kite Anet!

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Big thank you Anet. I have built many kites irl my largest being 27 ft wide. The kite in the game just flat out made my day.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Badge of shame!! LOL yeah its so shameful I bought gems with real money to get more character slots. I should be horsewhipped right out of town. Unless I’m mistaken we all paid real money for the game. so how is buying stuff to expand on the game so shameful? what an absurd thing to say sweatheart.

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

i bought a kite, then realised i got a free kite (the same kite) in my mail :’(

so i turned one into a guild kite so it wasn’t all bad lol

thanks a-net!

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Wow, I go to bed with the warm and fuzzies seeing how many people are enjoying the game and wake up to the bleating of a high-horseman.

Here’s my kite!

Attachments:

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like my kite but it would be better if you added the ability for me to fly my kite higher. Give me a few buttons to make my kite do something.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

I Love the Kite!

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t think about this earlier. I was in that jump puzzle in LA where the lights go out. I took some screen shots of my different catchers but didn’t think to open my kite as well to see how it looks. I’ll try it again later.

Also if you use a box of fun and turn into a pig then run around it looks like it is coming out of the pig’s rear. LOL

The Burninator

I Love the Kite!

Devata.6589

i bought a kite, then realised i got a free kite (the same kite) in my mail :’(

so i turned one into a guild kite so it wasn’t all bad lol

thanks a-net!

Kite of shame. Thats a cool name for it. It only worked for when they where not yet available in the gem-store but still. I do like the kite’s (sun one) btw. Nothing wrong with that, and if not temporary also a nice addition to the gem-store.

According to Colin’s last interview only the story’s will be temporary while the rest will be permanent so we will see. And expansions are back on the table. Thats also good news.

I Love the Kite!

JustTrogdor.7892

They work when you are dead as well. I didn’t have to try on purpose to see if it worked. Just my usual game play, my usual not paying attention, my usual trying to jump to a place and my usual death every 15 minutes.

Attachments:

The Burninator

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Big thank you Anet. I have built many kites irl my largest being 27 ft wide. The kite in the game just flat out made my day.

Wow! Do you have any pics? I’d love to see that!

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

They work when you are dead as well. I didn’t have to try on purpose to see if it worked. Just my usual game play, my usual not paying attention, my usual trying to jump to a place and my usual death every 15 minutes.

Did the kite even slow you down? LOL

I Love the Kite!

Posted by: Exittium.1584

Exittium.1584

Yeah.. I had the blue but i accidently deleted it thinking it was on my main character… Even kept the thank you MSG sent in game.. and of course the only response i got when I notified them about it was a too bad so sad go buy one.. rather then just replacing it