I Take it Back, I'm sorry

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

I posted a thread complaining about the karka crates and passed very harsh rng’ed cool looking skins that have cost some people even over 100 dollars to obtain.

But now that i see ANOTHER big content update, i’m starting to realize maybe a.net really will work their buts off with the money they gain.

TL;DR

I still think we need more options, perhaps every time you add in a Gem Store – EQSUE RNG CHEST GAMBLE – teir of weapon / armor skins you could release a different set
that looks different, and is obtainable by doing hard hard content or perhaps tokens for completing certaint tasks / chance to drop from boss and or even selling outright

That way you would have 2 goals, also the ones that are rng from chests will be rarer, this automaticly making them worth more then the little beat easier to obtain teir that involves doing achievements and other such things listed prior

making money isn’t the same as forcing rng chests btw.

I was giving anet 20 bux a month before rng chests (last 2 big updates)

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Oh no here we go again… Get ready for people complaining that Anet is greedy because they are trying to make a profit.

The Burninator

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

mmm, quaggan hats.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Usually the TL:DR is shorter than what you didnt read…
I dont mind them wanting to make money, but they shouldnt force people to pay. Thats the appeal of GW2 over other MMOs. Those who actually put time into the game should be rewarded for it.

Posted by: War Siren.2346

War Siren.2346

My Only complaint about the Quaggan Hats is they are town clothes.. I wants to wear it at all times. :O

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

Its not about payment, its moreso about the RNG odds, listen, I could take the same 1000 dollars I have spent on the real lottery, chances are, I will win at least a few dollars back or perhaps be rich and use my riches to help fund a new mmorpg more tailored to what I want. Why cant they sell chests that 1 out of 10 I actually feel that it was worth spending my cash or time on. RNG skin box is also an idea I have, where all skins are in a box, and randomly I will get a skin, it can be account bound for all I care, although being able to sell it on the market or perhaps combining 4 of them makes a claim ticket. At least in this regard, arenanet makes money, and I have the chance at obtaining a skin if I desire.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

But now that i see ANOTHER big content update, i’m starting to realize maybe a.net really will work their buts off with the money they gain.

The money you spend in the gem store does not necessarily go to ANet, it goes to NCSoft. They choose to allocate it how they wish, you very well could be funding an expansion for Lineage for all we know.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

I don’t mind paying, I have done so before in this game, but I do refuse to throw my monet out of the window in some lottery-based scam.

Put the weapons up for sale and I’ll buy them. What I won’t do is dump my precious money in these RNG within an RNG boxes. kitten. That.

JustTrogdor.7892

Its not about payment, its moreso about the RNG odds, listen, I could take the same 1000 dollars I have spent on the real lottery, chances are, I will win at least a few dollars back or perhaps be rich and use my riches to help fund a new mmorpg more tailored to what I want.

I have yet to purchase an RNG chest and get nothing. Usually I get some mats that I sell on the TP for some decent coin. I’ve never bought one and clicked to open it and there was nothing. Maybe I’m just one of the few lucky ones.

Buy a $10 scratch off and a lot of the time you will win $2.00 – $5.00 or so and sometimes you will win a bit more. Most times if you buy scratch offs regularly you will lose more money than you win. Buy a PowerBall ticket and for that dollar you will almost always, if not always, get a piece of paper you can crumble up and put in your pocket or start a fire with or whatever else you want to do with it.

People often tend to ignore the fact that everything in the game can be bought with in game gold and technically costs you nothing but time playing a game.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Why is your TL;DR longer than the rest of your post?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

The money you spend in the gem store does not necessarily go to ANet, it goes to NCSoft. They choose to allocate it how they wish, you very well could be funding an expansion for Lineage for all we know.

NCsoft is the parent company and they’re the ones that pay salaries of Anet employees in the first place. So the money does go to Anet.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Oh no here we go again… Get ready for people complaining that Anet is greedy because they are trying to make a profit.

I don’t think it’s about the profit, it’s the fact that they spend more time making (since they said their chase is Aesthetic) endgame items you BUY then end game items you EARN. So they are saying if you want to play because you like having aesthetic goals, basically: go eff yourself.

I mean they took the time to build an entire animated set of weapons for Last Stand. & made 2 back pieces you can actually PLAY to earn. Sorry, that’s just laughable. I was a huge supporter or Anet, but I’m fining it harder & harder to defend what they do now. Maybe that’s the price of being profitable. Might just be how it goes..

I have yet to purchase an RNG chest and get nothing. Usually I get some mats that I sell on the TP for some decent coin.

We all know the boxes are based around a single desired item & a group of junk items to dodge the “illegal gambling” bullet. Also, You can’t get mats from the lockboxes, so no, you didn’t make decent coin from it.

People often tend to ignore the fact that everything in the game can be bought with in game gold and technically costs you nothing but time playing a game.

People also often forget that SOMEONE has to buy the gems for you to trade for gold. You don’t BUY the gems from Anet with your gold. you trade with other players.
The game isn’t free & neither are the gems. Besides, it’s not like grinding gold for a chance at a skin is the same as earning it. why do you think the Precursor fiasco is getting such attention.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think it’s about the profit, it’s the fact that they spend more time making (since they said their chase is Aesthetic) endgame items you BUY then end game items you EARN. So they are saying if you want to play because you like having aesthetic goals, basically: go eff yourself.

I mean they took the time to build an entire animated set of weapons for Last Stand. & made 2 back pieces you can actually PLAY to earn. Sorry, that’s just laughable. I was a huge supporter or Anet, but I’m fining it harder & harder to defend what they do now. Maybe that’s the price of being profitable. Might just be how it goes..

You don’t have to BUY anything with real money. Everything can be obtained from in game gold wich you can acquire for FREE by PLAYING. You can PLAY and earn that gold and use it to buy gems. With those gems you can access the exact same content as someone with a credit card.

Now if they created a bunch of content that you could only purchase with real cash then I could see people being unhappy. However, I’d wager that even that stuff would sell like hotcakes so I guess we can feel lucky that isn’t the case.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

Also, You can’t get mats from the lockboxes, so no, you didn’t make decent coin from it.

Hmmm.. I must be losing my mind because every time I bought a south sun crate or what every they are called I got some kind of shells, some other kind of thing I don’t remember what they are called and some kind of flowers. I sold all of them for a fair amount of coin. Maybe not as much as the gold I used to buy the gems but a fair amount. I’ll take you some screen shots next time I get one.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

People also often forget that SOMEONE has to buy the gems for you to trade for gold. You don’t BUY the gems from Anet with your gold. you trade with other players.
The game isn’t free & neither are the gems.

Actually I’m one of the ones that buys gems with real money so you can play for free. You’re welcome.

The Burninator

Blissified.8369

i spent 100 gold (i will never use real money, but in this game gold = real money basicly but i disgress;) and i made back 1.8 Gold in selling what i recieved (shells)

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Yeah, seriously. They should take after Amazon http://goo.gl/mQ42J

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Why is your TL;DR longer than the rest of your post?

This post made my crappy work day so much better.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

skins are optional.

no one is forcing you.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

NCsoft is the parent company and they’re the ones that pay salaries of Anet employees in the first place. So the money does go to Anet.

But that in no way means that the money spent on the gem store goes to game development in anyway, we have no way in telling how NcSoft wants this game to end up, this whole thing could be one big test for them. They are after all one of the biggest game developers in the world and they are not fans of the US, they make games for Asian game players, that is NcSoft, they are a Korean game developer and could care less about anyone that isn’t Asian.

I know this because I have played many NcSoft games and have dealt with them in the past, anyone who has played Lineage 2 or Aion knows that NcSoft is only out to cater to their players.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Mirta.5029

But that in no way means that the money spent on the gem store goes to game development in anyway, we have no way in telling how NcSoft wants this game to end up, this whole thing could be one big test for them. They are after all one of the biggest game developers in the world and they are not fans of the US, they make games for Asian game players, that is NcSoft, they are a Korean game developer and could care less about anyone that isn’t Asian.

I know this because I have played many NcSoft games and have dealt with them in the past, anyone who has played Lineage 2 or Aion knows that NcSoft is only out to cater to their players.

Anet is hiring, which means that Ncsoft is allowing them to expand and is paying them more, which means that the sales do go to Anet. If there were no sales Ncsoft would be firing (they don’t keep unprofitable games open – look at “City of heroes”).

Now about the whole Dontain thing – money made by all games is distributed between all games. That’s how companies are able to make new games in the first place. It’s how every company works.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Its not about payment, its moreso about the RNG odds, listen, I could take the same 1000 dollars I have spent on the real lottery, chances are, I will win at least a few dollars back or perhaps be rich and use my riches to help fund a new mmorpg more tailored to what I want.

I have yet to purchase an RNG chest and get nothing. Usually I get some mats that I sell on the TP for some decent coin. I’ve never bought one and clicked to open it and there was nothing. Maybe I’m just one of the few lucky ones.

Buy a $10 scratch off and a lot of the time you will win $2.00 – $5.00 or so and sometimes you will win a bit more. Most times if you buy scratch offs regularly you will lose more money than you win. Buy a PowerBall ticket and for that dollar you will almost always, if not always, get a piece of paper you can crumble up and put in your pocket or start a fire with or whatever else you want to do with it.

Im not sure how it is in other states but at least in NJ if you buy a $10 tickets the lowest amount you can win is $10 and the higher the price of the ticket the more likely you are to get the same amount back.

As towards the main issue being the random chests, whats annoying is the weapons are the top reward for these events and it is completely random. Im sure most of us would be ok with the chests if they gave pieces of a ticket and could form a whole one after X amount, then a chance for a whole one everytime. So you eventually would get a ticket if you got enough chests or could luck out and get one early

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

They already have skins for harder content it’s the dungeon sets, most casuals don’t do dungeons.

Yeah they definitely need more soloable content for cosmetics that doesn’t require dungeons, being in a party, being in a guild, or doing PVP as NCsoft has had a long history of forcing their players into (as evidenced by Aion and world exploration completion on this title).

We definitely need less RNG that’s for sure, what did Dontain call it? some kind of gambling?

I posted a thread complaining about the karka crates and passed very harsh rng’ed cool looking skins that have cost some people even over 100 dollars to obtain.

TL;DR

I still think we need more options, perhaps every time you add in a Gem Store – EQSUE RNG CHEST GAMBLE – teir of weapon / armor skins you could release a different set
that looks different, and is obtainable by doing hard hard content or perhaps tokens for completing certaint tasks / chance to drop from boss and or even selling outright

That way you would have 2 goals, also the ones that are rng from chests will be rarer, this automaticly making them worth more then the little beat easier to obtain teir that involves doing achievements and other such things listed prior

making money isn’t the same as forcing rng chests btw.

I was giving anet 20 bux a month before rng chests (last 2 big updates)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

My only gripr aboutthe quaggan hats… They hide my hair and i like my hair!
As for the rng reeards with real money… I simply refuse to gamble!
100 gems for a gamble box with a chance on a really cool weapon? I wouldnt buy it.
1000 gems for a really cool weapon? Id buy it for sure.
Im quite sure theres more people who avoid gambling like i do, arenanet is just missing out on money here, because we dont spend gems while we actually want to.
Heres my suggestion: keep the gamble boxes. But after buying X boxes you automatically get a rare drop.
If id get the awesome weapon after 15boxes gauranteed, i would know hoe much im spending in total, and can better decide if ts in my reach or not. Ofcourse i can also get lucky and get the rare drop early.
I bought 0 gems so far with really money… If t wasnt for evil gaming i would have that christmass quaggan mini
Gambling makes me sad :’(

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Of course it goes to NCsoft. ANET is paid by them to develop the game. Just like every other division of every other company in the world, the point is to divide your talent hopefully optimally and pool your resources.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

That so called TL;DR is the funniest thing i’ve seen in years. Well played poster..well played.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I will never trust a tl;dr again!
Op what have you done?!

Polish > hype

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

OP- you did tl;dr wrong… very, very wrong.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

The game isn’t free & neither are the gems.

Actually, that’s not how it works. People buying gems with real money makes buying gems with gold cheaper and vice versa, but it’s not a direct exchange like EVE has. That’s why GW2 can’t run out of gems to buy with gold. So yes, you do buy gems from ANet with your gold.

Posted by: InPhamouZ.9732

InPhamouZ.9732

lol @ the tl;dr, that kitten is funny haha

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I’m cool with them making a profit. I budget a monthly amount for GW2 that’s actually larger than the subscription price of any of my previous MMOs.

My problem is that the products they’re most frequently trying to sell (1) are terrible.

(1) Town clothes that I can only mix and match with other town clothes and only wear when I’m not involved in any parts of the setting I consider “gameplay”, and RNG chests with abysmal odds for the actual valuable drops.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

“Proactively delighting customers earns trust, which earns more business from those customers”.

OMG, when will amazon make a mmorpg?

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Melchior.2135

“Proactively delighting customers earns trust, which earns more business from those customers”.

OMG, when will amazon make a mmorpg?

Eh. Having a catchy mission statement and actually executing on it are very different things. Nobody’s corporate agenda actually reads “Sponge up the hugest possible profit relative to the smallest possible investment, before resulting ill-will congeals into a catastrophic backlash”, but that’s standard operating procedure at a lot of places anyway.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Meh, it’s not anet, it’s ncsoft that f’s up games because they want to make profit instead of making a good game. Nothing to say about it. It’s just how it is and anet can’t do anything about it, cus NCSOFT is above them.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Actually I’m one of the ones that buys gems with real money so you can play for free. You’re welcome.

Free? I think the $150 i spent for the collectors edition was worth a decent amount. I mean, maybe you’re just stacked & throw cash left & right, but that’s a good chunk of change to us losers.

You actually think it’s worth spending huge amounts of time to transfer gold into a small number of Gems, for a gamble mechanic that you are forcing the end-game into because you support it with your purchases?

I don’t want to thank you, I want to blame you.

As for getting Karka shells, You’re right, you can get some from the most recent box. they are worth 1silver & I get one from ever Karka kill. So you’re right, you get about 8 silver from the boxes, that’s MUST be why people spend $1.50 on the gamble boxes, they hope to get that silver.

The idea that the primary influx of end-game items are gamble boxes is idiotic. It’s contrary to their game design of fun first & the importance of skill. Buying an item rewards nothing in-game. Not only that, you don’t even GET the product you want. you pay for a CHANCE at it.

If they made a new in-game reward for every gamble-box items they made, i could at least see it as caring about the game, but PAID gamble-only, is just…kitten

JustTrogdor.7892

Free? I think the $150 i spent for the collectors edition was worth a decent amount. I mean, maybe you’re just stacked & throw cash left & right, but that’s a good chunk of change to us losers.

You actually think it’s worth spending huge amounts of time to transfer gold into a small number of Gems, for a gamble mechanic that you are forcing the end-game into because you support it with your purchases?

So if no one bought gems you would still be able to play every month because of your initial $150 purchase or would there be a subscription fee?

You can enjoy playing all you want for $150 without spending another dime. What would happen if everyone did that? You don’t have to buy anythings else. That is your prerogative and you are casting your vote against such items by not buying them. However someone has to buy those gems or else everyone will see what /endgame really means.

The Burninator

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I dont mind them wanting to make money, but they shouldnt force people to pay. Thats the appeal of GW2 over other MMOs. Those who actually put time into the game should be rewarded for it.

This is my opinion too, i want to be rewarded with nice gear for playing Guildwars 2 not buying Guildwars 2 over and over…

And before anyone says freeloader i’ve spent a lot on this game up until now, but enough is enough…

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

This is my opinion too, i want to be rewarded with nice gear for playing Guildwars 2 not buying Guildwars 2 over and over…

And before anyone says freeloader i’ve spent a lot on this game up until now, but enough is enough…

^ This. If there is an item I can buy outright without risk of not getting the item then I’ll think about buying gems.

RNG chests? No thanks!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know about you but last month I bought the bow, and the quiver. I got the backpack from the Super Adventure box before that, and I could get guild mission rewards if I wanted to. There’s stuff in game as well as stuff in the cash shop.

Skins have always been fair games for cash shop. But while I hate the RNG that you need to get a skin (and I do), I understand why Anet does it.

They simply make more money doing it this way than selling the skin outright. I would imagine moving forward we’ll see more skins introduced in game and in the cash shop as direct sale too, but it won’t stop the RNG boxes, unless people stop buying them.

Melchior.2135

Anet is hiring, which means that Ncsoft is allowing them to expand and is paying them more, which means that the sales do go to Anet. If there were no sales Ncsoft would be firing (they don’t keep unprofitable games open – look at “City of heroes”).

Demonstrably false. City of Heroes was well in the black when they pulled the plug. It wasn’t a huge moneymaking machine, but it had long since paid off the investment to get it going, and was running on a comfortable enough profit that Paragon Studios was expanding when NCSoft pulled the rug out from under them. Wave your ignorance somewhere else to make your point please.

Mirta.5029

Demonstrably false. City of Heroes was well in the black when they pulled the plug. It wasn’t a huge moneymaking machine, but it had long since paid off the investment to get it going, and was running on a comfortable enough profit that Paragon Studios was expanding when NCSoft pulled the rug out from under them. Wave your ignorance somewhere else to make your point please.

It obviously wasn’t profitable enough. Remember companies don’t pull plugs on profitable games. GW2 is still running – that means that it’s profitable enough to run it.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/3/feature/7015/City-of-Heroes-Profitable-or-Not.html
“It is disappointing that such inaccurate information was provided to MMORPG by an anonymous source and is being reported on as news. The operating cost, annual revenue figures and other financial information shared by this anonymous source are simply wrong. The studio was unprofitable before the shutdown. Both NCSOFT and Paragon Studios were incredibly proud of the transition of City of Heroes to a Free to Play business model, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to support the studio’s needs. We made the difficult decision to close Paragon Studios and sunset City of Heroes because the franchise no longer aligned with the long term profitability goals for the company.”
“What our source did tell us is that about 80 people were employed at Paragon Studios, and even if the average income for all employees there was $50K a year, that’s still $4 mln a year in just wages alone and I’m estimating on the low end of the pay scale. Add in benefits other taxes and that number increases dramatically. And that’s just labor costs. Still, one has to wonder how much it cost to actually run and maintain City of Heroes. In the end, this could be a simple case. CoH may have been making a profit, but that profit margin was likely shrinking through Q3 (the game was omitted from that report). Rather than continuing to scale back the game until it was on life-support, it’s possible that the businessmen at the company decided a more suitable fate was to end the game’s life altogether rather than let it become a financial viability and ‘wither on the vine’.”
Games have to keep up with bringing in a certain amount of profit to be allowed to run. Either that or have to be so old that running them costs close to nothing (Everquest for example)

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

I like the way your tldr is longer than your post…….

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

Why do people keep saying all money from BLTP goes to NCSoft? I’m almost positive NCSoft gets a cut, NOT all of the money made. That’s just how publishers work.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Mirta.5029

Why do people keep saying all money from BLTP goes to NCSoft? I’m almost positive NCSoft gets a cut, NOT all of the money made. That’s just how publishers work.

because NCsoft is not only a publisher, it’s a parent company that owns Anet. However they also pay their developers, invest into expanding Anet and give money to the game to continue produce the content, so I really don’t get those screams of panic.

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

because NCsoft is not only a publisher, it’s a parent company that owns Anet. However they also pay their developers, invest into expanding Anet and give money to the game to continue produce the content, so I really don’t get those screams of panic.

Exactly, ArenaNet gets money. You don’t work for 10 months with only box sale profits and churn out these sort of updates monthly. It is in NCSofts best interest to keep Guild Wars 2 going.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Blissified.8369

So if no one bought gems you would still be able to play every month because of your initial $150 purchase or would there be a subscription fee?

You can enjoy playing all you want for $150 without spending another dime. What would happen if everyone did that? You don’t have to buy anythings else. That is your prerogative and you are casting your vote against such items by not buying them. However someone has to buy those gems or else everyone will see what /endgame really means.

you misunderstand, we dont want the end game skins to be in rng boxes, NO ONE IS SAYING WE DONT WANT TO BUY STUFF WITH REAL MONEY!

just that recently the two of the coolests and newest weapen sets IN THE END GAME CONTENT has been obtained by NOT PLAYING THE GAME but by PLAYING the lottery

tl;dr (for real this time

Make endgame content skins obtainable thru playing the game, and then make some other sets that you can get only thru playinng the lottery game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

you misunderstand, we dont want the end game skins to be in rng boxes, NO ONE IS SAYING WE DONT WANT TO BUY STUFF WITH REAL MONEY!

just that recently the two of the coolests and newest weapen sets IN THE END GAME CONTENT has been obtained by NOT PLAYING THE GAME but by PLAYING the lottery

tl;dr (for real this time

Make endgame content skins obtainable thru playing the game, and then make some other sets that you can get only thru playinng the lottery game.

Yep, I agree. The skins shouldn’t be in RNG boxes. It leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths.