I am a veteran, I survived

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

It kinda seems like you hate the game, y’know… if you despise pretty much every change that it’s gone through in the last year or two, then why are you even still playing?

I agree with OP, but my answer to your question is simple: Money and Investments.

I had a lot of issues with changes, from having double skins merged into 1 for wardrobe purposes to owning the same expensive dyes across all 8 characters (at the time) to the constant neglect towards the only game mode I enjoy, WvW. (which were all paid for in cash/gems)

Having played the game for 6-7 thousand hours and investing over $1000 into gems, it’s hard to walk away from that. Recent announcements about the expansion prices and further neglect towards WvW should make it easier for me to leave though and I look forward to that day where I can start investing my money on stable products where I know what I purchase with real money isn’t stripped from me without a refund.

It’s actually really insulting, you wouldn’t like to pay for a new PC and all it’s features only to have an update that renders most of what you paid for invalid.

Except they did offer a refund on town clothes.

Only within a certain time period though. I took a break because of the changes for a couple months and got back it was too late. I found out they let everybody else get refunds but I got screwed.

Posted by: Doll Mistress.9267

Doll Mistress.9267

I remember all that you mentioned, plus a working Hall Of Monuments, when released and re-released weapon skins that only cost 1 ticket to buy, when the cake gun gave your own character a buff when you consumed the cake, and so much more....I even remember being able to recruit from your own server for wvw because the only people that could see chat were those from your own server. Gee it would be nice if we could have at least one town, or even a chat option that was JUST for our home server.

I remember when playing GW1 we heard about people being banned for hacking or even chat that wasn’t appropriate.... in front of everyone...in a great display of power....

Sad to have these things gone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It kinda seems like you hate the game, y’know… if you despise pretty much every change that it’s gone through in the last year or two, then why are you even still playing?

I agree with OP, but my answer to your question is simple: Money and Investments.

I had a lot of issues with changes, from having double skins merged into 1 for wardrobe purposes to owning the same expensive dyes across all 8 characters (at the time) to the constant neglect towards the only game mode I enjoy, WvW. (which were all paid for in cash/gems)

Having played the game for 6-7 thousand hours and investing over $1000 into gems, it’s hard to walk away from that. Recent announcements about the expansion prices and further neglect towards WvW should make it easier for me to leave though and I look forward to that day where I can start investing my money on stable products where I know what I purchase with real money isn’t stripped from me without a refund.

It’s actually really insulting, you wouldn’t like to pay for a new PC and all it’s features only to have an update that renders most of what you paid for invalid.

Only within a certain time period though. I took a break because of the changes for a couple months and got back it was too late. I found out they let everybody else get refunds but I got screwed.

Yes, they offered a refund within a certain time period, which was a period of many months. That’s like saying I bought a VCR, didn’t use it, went on vacation for a year, got back and it didn’t work. It happens. It’s unfortunate…but it’s not unreasonable on the part of the company.

People can follow games even if they’re not playing them. I know I do. And it’s not your fault. But it’s not Anet’s fault either. Their refund policy was good when compared to most of the industry.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I feel most of the changes have been positive. Not all, but most. The wardrobe change and the mega server change were game changing for me, in a positive way. The removal of WvW culling was huge for me. The champion bag change I could have lived without but it wasn’t that big a deal. I liked both Dry Top and the Silverwastes. And while I preferred Season 1 of the Living World to Season 2, I understand the reason for the changes.

Personally, the mega server almost killed this game for me. One of the best things was our cross-guild server culture, that was simply nuked. It was depressing.

Then came the dreaded trait changes. I decided to level a new character to experience it myself and, good heavens, was I glad that I had finished enough characters before.

Now after the recent changes I tried leveling another new char to see how they changed it. It’s less bad as before, I still prefer the original method (including NPE). I cannot see how on earth someone could be overstrained by the rate of learning new systems as it was implemented originally.

I’m sad that WvW is no longer part of map completion, I don’t like the static world boss schedule and the fact, that in stark contrast there is still no concept for the Orr temples in the age of mega server, I don’t like the dungeons in this game, including fractals. Crafting is too simplistic and not important enough.

Still, I enjoy the game itself. Fight mechanics are great (actually, a sense of active aiming like in Tabula Rasa would even be better, but this will remain a dream), the fact that this game has no classic trinity is heaven-sent and there is no gear grind. Heck, I even enjoy collecting parts for ascended armor, simply because I do it as it happens rather than rushing it or feel the pressure that this has to be done to play the game. I don’t care of the meta, I love to help my server in WvW and the Silver Wastes is one of the most fun zones I have ever come across in an MMO in 14 years of MMO-gaming (this reminds me that in my opinion GW had the worst zone I have ever experienced, Kaineng; i stopped playing GW because I couldn’t motivate myself to overcome this).

Do I have wishes for things, that I’d like to see changed? Ohhhhh yeahhh, lots of. Please, someone at A-Net, install and play Anarchy Online and investigate how mission terminals and random missions work. Please, someone at A-Net, install and play Ryzom and investigate how meaningful and skillful crafting and harvesting can be implemented.

But despite of this I still enjoy my time in game and I am looking forward to HoT. I don’t expect the second coming but I expect additions to this game that will be worth their money multiple times.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

When did I mention town clothes? Could you be so kind to make it in bold where I said that?

It was in the OP, and obviously a main complaint for the OP. It’s at least one instance in which real world money wasn’t stripped from people. I also remember them refunding double skins, btw, which you did mention.

Oh the OP said it…. Anyway.

Yes those refunds, I received one for owning multiple commander tags, was given some digital money after using real life money to pay….

My issue is mostly about skins, having put $100 into the game to make duel Infinite Light skins, and another $50 to craft a second Foe Fire essence….. I would continue but this is getting off topic for what I’m assuming is for argument sakes. (I don’t know how anyone can argue another persons personal experience, but people find a way somehow)

My point still stands in my first post: Money and Investments.

You paid with gems, you got gems back. In theory that means the next time you buy something you don’t have to pay real money.

To be clear, you did NOT buy an outfit from the gem store with real money. You bought it with gems. If you spent $1000 that means you’re buying gems anyway. You get gems back which means you save money the next time you want to buy.

So you want to argue this? ok.

I went to Timezone, I paid them cash for Timezone Card which would allow me to play their games, shortly after purchasing the card they turned off all the machines which means I can’t play any games, I take the card back to the retailer but he simply states “you bought the card with your money to play games, but we can’t allow you to play games, but atleast you get to keep the card until it is expired at the end of the day, you’re welcome to come back tomorrow to purchase another card after we have updated our systems.”

but again: My point still stands about not leaving the game, Money and Investments. feel free to pick apart another sub-text of what I have written though, for the sake of arguments and internet win points

Gems don’t expire, therefore your Timezone analogy doesn’t make sense. If the card would always be an option, that you could buy it then use it forever whenever you fancied on whatever was available to use it on, then it would be acceptable. Since the very premise of this analogy is that the card expires it is intrinsically flawed.

That’s why Terrible Analogy is Terrible.

Also, you did not invest in the game. You spend $1000 on a transaction. You spent money and received gems. That is a transaction, not an investment. People keep claiming that they have invested in the game, they haven’t. You can’t. Guild Wars isn’t publicly traded. You can probably invest in NCSoft, and possibly in ArenaNet, but not in Guild Wars. All you can do it spend/waste time and money on the game.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)