I am so confused! How do I reset traits?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

As far as i can tell, there isn’t a reset button for lower level characters. Level 80 toons have all training finished, you can swap the trait lines by clicking on the big icon at the left of the trait line and choosing a different one. You might need to unlock those using your hero points that you ahve first.

If you’re low levelled, it has almost randomly given you garbage which you can’t change.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

You can’t anymore because you will have all of them unlocked (at level 80).

But you can only have 3 trait trees active right now, they will be full, but only 3.

This is terrible and some changes for guardian are awful.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Wait, I haven’t booted up the game yet, but are you telling me that you can’t respec your traits until you hit lvl 80???

lol, this just keeps getting better and better…

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

I have 8 level 80’s that should have everything unlocked…wont be able to check until I get home…gonna take forever to reset builds

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Wait, so I can’t respend the points at all? LOL, WTF?

You can select 3 specializations which will automatically take enough points to fill them up entirely.

You can re-spend all of the points from one specialization into another one, but you can no longer select half of one and half of another.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You can select 3 specializations which will automatically take enough points to fill them up entirely.

You can re-spend all of the points from one specialization into another one, but you can no longer select half of one and half of another.

I understand that but HOW do I re-spend? I cannot find the button! I know how to switch traits but how do I remove my points from Curses and put them into Soul Reaping? My Soul Reaping is empty and wants me to spend points. I do not want to spend more points, I want to respend the points the game automatically spent on Curses. Do I make sense? x_x

Just click on the > arrow on the Soul Reaping line and change it to Curses…

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Wait, so I can’t respend the points at all? LOL, WTF?

You have to have 3 Specializations at all times I assume. so you have to switch the Specialization out completely to reset it.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You got a training tab and a build tab.

The training points you cant refund but at 80 you should have enough hero points to train every core specilization. ( they changed it so you dont need to do 65 hero challenges anymore )

After you have trained you can switch specs by pressing the big icon named curses to the left of the traits and take soul reaping if thats what you want.

Edit then go to training tab and spend some points into it.

Linken.6345

they spend it depending on what skills you had equiped, they even said so on their poi

Posted by: Lyle.8591

Lyle.8591

wow this is so god awful.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Just want to point out that this new system is much easier to understand than the previous system. I did not read any patch notes and within a few clicks realized that the other trait lines I wanted were not unlocked. Was able to figure out that you needed to navigate to the training tab, then click on each ability you want to unlock. Or just click on the last ability to unlock them all for that line. After that I had everything unlocked and was able to start figuring out what build I wanted to try.

Really like the new system, along with the images for each trait line.

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

I just maxed out my mesmer with all available points on that specific character (everything is now at 100%)… and I still have almost 300 points left that are sitting there doing nothing.

You’ll be able to continue earning hero points (formerly known as skill points), so if something comes close, but you run out, just play like you had been playing to get the rest of the points to finish it up to 100%

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

Posted by: saurazgul.8715

saurazgul.8715

I’m too old for this #&!@ !!!

It’s going to take me a few days to work this all out hahah !!

]8-

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I’m super bitter about this. Just got on my little elementalist looking forward to spending the new hero points. Find out they are spent already, I can’t reset them and it put them into earth core specialization. REALLY?! I am so angry right now.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Mea, if you are level 80, then you literally have enough Hero Points to get every single trait and skill for the base specializations without having done any Skill/Hero challenges. That person has 300 extra because they did a lot of extra skill challenges in the world.

Posted by: Bucinka.3649

Bucinka.3649

Thank you for making decisions for me. I hate this game now and I play it only few days. I am so angry I want to cry. I want my money back.
There was a reason why I did not spent any skill points, now I do not get a chance to. Have to wait till lvl 45. This is really stupid…

MiniEquine.6014

I’m super bitter about this. Just got on my little elementalist looking forward to spending the new hero points. Find out they are spent already, I can’t reset them and it put them into earth core specialization. REALLY?! I am so angry right now.

Could you elaborate on this please? Did you spend the points and now they are spent, or did you log in and the points were automatically in certain trait lines?

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

300?! I must be bugged because I’m at 80 and I don’t have enough points for everything I want for my new build. I’m stuck with my old, ruined build, I don’t feel like grinding points like this. I think I have to restart my Necro at lvl 1.

Why in the world would you start over, if you are level 80 it has been confirmed you will have enough points to unlock every single thing.

Ralanost.8913

Could you elaborate on this please? Did you spend the points and now they are spent, or did you log in and the points were automatically in certain trait lines?

Logged in, points already spent.

MiniEquine.6014

What did they try to do, arrange the points as closely to what you had before the patch? I honestly hadn’t heard that they were going to try and auto-build the traitlines…that actually is pretty weird…

Lyle.8591

What did they try to do, arrange the points as closely to what you had before the patch? I honestly hadn’t heard that they were going to try and auto-build the traitlines…that actually is pretty weird…

yea it’s REALLY frustrating for >lvl80 characters. basically ruins them with no refund option! )’:

especially because their autobuilder is really bad!

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I just maxed out my mesmer with all available points on that specific character (everything is now at 100%)… and I still have almost 300 points left that are sitting there doing nothing.

You’ll be able to continue earning hero points (formerly known as skill points), so if something comes close, but you run out, just play like you had been playing to get the rest of the points to finish it up to 100%

Same here, over 300 left and fully unlocked. Of course, I had some level up scrolls that I was holding for my low-level character get converted into that new currency… that saddened me a little. Even converted them in the bank which is messed up. But I’m sure I’ll recover.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

You’re confusing UNLOCKING skills and traits with RE-SPECING traits (there ain’t such a thing as “respec skills”, you just choose them from skill bar).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Can characters lower than 80 change their build setup? Does anyone know?

Lyle.8591

Can characters lower than 80 change their build setup? Does anyone know?

currently no. i sent in a ticket because i was so frustrated )’:

Linken.6345

Yea automaticly had tricker acrobatics and shadow arts on my thief and all signet tricks deception skills unlocked since that was what i used.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

OK, from what I gather, there are three specializations. They unlock at varying levels, with the third unlocking at level 71. So the first one will unlock and that’s all you’ll have until you level more, then the second, etc. You won’t be able to change your build to use the third row, for example, if you’re below level 71.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Well not being able to change traits at lower level is a problem, but on the topic of max level characters (80), you should be able to unlock everything. (I have 43 skill challenges done, and currently have an excess of 50+ hero points) I’m not sure what it is like for a level 80 with no hero challenges done, but from the looks of it, you’d have even a couple points in excess at 80.

So if you can’t unlock everything at 80, either you are bugged, or your brain is. Assuming you made your gw2 account yourself and managed to get on the forums, I imagine this is just a bug and you should open a ticket. Otherwise, keep trying to click on the training tab until your fingers fall off.

Good luck.

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

The new system is nice, but the real surprise is that we didn’t log in this morning and see a fresh pile of points to spend and a blank canvas.

Instead we logged in and found the new system, along with a message that says a program automatically spent some or all of our points to recreate the current build we had.

It’s incredibly short-sighted. It assumes my warrior specced into Strength because I like Strength over Tactics, when I just needed the power boost. Now those points are already spent unlocking the Strength tree and now I can’t buy anything, change over to a new tree, etc.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

The new system is nice, but the real surprise is that we didn’t log in this morning and see a fresh pile of points to spend and a blank canvas.

That would have made more sense and been less confusing for some.

Quick view for those who havent seen em yet https://youtu.be/yx5xb9NKS1A

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

The lower level automatic choosing is truely awful. I got two different stats as I happened to have sword and horn up on one ranger lvl 26 and LB on the other- now the sw/horn one has wilderness survival open and locked, rather than marksmanship which is what i’d have liked.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The points already spent seems like it is based on what your character had before the patch(weapons, utilities and trait lines).

Ralanost.8913

The points already spent seems like it is based on what your character had before the patch(weapons, utilities and trait lines).

That doesn’t work with characters too low level to even have traits, that is everyone under level 30.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Reading this, I think a few people are confused the new trait system with the new skill system, and the need to spend the points for the skills, like it was in the old system.

Posted by: AngelOfLies.5069

AngelOfLies.5069

I really hope they do something abt characters before lvl 80 :/ my ele got earth training maxed and arcane training max when i dun use either of them. Sighpie

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

So far, the specialization is ‘meh’ at best. It seems to work, but doesn’t have any redeeming value.

SBI

TJgalon.5012

I really hope they do something abt characters before lvl 80 :/ my ele got earth training maxed and arcane training max when i dun use either of them. Sighpie

By the time you hit 80, even quicker if you explore the world you have enough points for all of them anyways, so what the big deal?

Ralanost.8913

By the time you hit 80, even quicker if you explore the world you have enough points for all of them anyways, so what the big deal?

Because it ruins our low level characters. I never use earth attunement. I would be much happier and feel more progression if I could have spent those points myself. But kitten us for wanting to level our characters the old fashioned way instead of just using tomes, right?

TJgalon.5012

At low levels it seems even less of a big deal, maybe i am not seeing the problem a big as you, but you can easily earn more skill points quickly if you low level player by a little map exploring and leveling up.

Ralanost.8913

At low levels it seems even less of a big deal, maybe i am not seeing the problem a big as you, but you can easily earn more skill points quickly if you low level player by a little map exploring and leveling up.

You are obviously not looking at the problem from our point of view. This isn’t just about one or two hero points. This is about whole core specialization lines. Elementalists get it really bad with Earth Magic being shoved down our throat by default, which is the most useless line by far.

TJgalon.5012

But you get enough hero points to unlock them all anyways. Sure you might had to use a few on default where they thought it was matching up to your old build, but then, as you level a little more, and do hero challenges, you can just spend though points where you want and bam, no more problem anyways.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Instead we logged in and found the new system, along with a message that says a program automatically spent some or all of our points to recreate the current build we had.

It’s incredibly short-sighted. It assumes my warrior specced into Strength because I like Strength over Tactics, when I just needed the power boost. Now those points are already spent unlocking the Strength tree and now I can’t buy anything, change over to a new tree, etc.

^+1 to you for clearly explaining the issue. Why the heck doesn’t my Ele who has everything under the sun done in this game and then some have to spend my points on unlocking two spec. lines and some utility skills?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

bugged forums ftw!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

TJgalon.5012

Are you guys confusing the skill points for traits? Traits don’t use any points, and the skills points are enough to unlock all of them, so if you have something unlock you don’t want, then it not a big deal cause you have so many points?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think this comes from the attempt to put a build in. I don’t think this will be the case on new characters created. It looks like it’s a transitional thing to me.

TJgalon.5012

I think this comes from the attempt to put a build in. I don’t think this will be the case on new characters created. It looks like it’s a transitional thing to me.

Yeah, bassically they attepted to keep a similar build, but it flaw of course, maybe they did not want to leave players defenceless in strong area, but if you are in though area, you build up enough points to buy the skills you need anyways, so it all good. heavk, since i have map completion and level 80, i have like 200 points left over after getting all skills, which i read go into HoT later too.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

If you’re level 80, you’ll have to unlock a few of the circles, which is fine, because there’s literally no other use for hero points than to unlock your builds.

If you’re not level 80 and got an auto-build that’s not so great for you, I’m sorry. I’d file a ticket, personally.

If you are level 80, you can retrait by simply choosing another line at the far left of your trait lines. Two of your five options are not shown by default; you have to select them. Otherwise, you can freely choose different major traits among your lines once you’ve unlocked them all- which you’ll be able to do, as long as you’re level 80.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

TJgalon.5012

or sooner then 80 if you did the skill challages of old.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

or sooner then 80 if you did the skill challages of old.

Right, I just wanted to make it really clear that EVERYONE who is level 80 can unlock everything. It’s just a matter of spending the refunded points that weren’t used on the automatic build selection.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This was a pretty bad implementation for lower levels, because they can’t start over. All their points are already spent. That’s what some of you don’t get. It’s fine for older lvl 80s, since they have enough points to re-learn everything.