I'd play GW1 but....

I'd play GW1 but....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

I can’t get past the first wall.

Apparently I need to be in a group? Top plan there…

/sigh

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

No you don’t the whole game is perfectly solo-able. I never partied with anyone unless I was playing PvP and I managed to beat all expansions or whatever you want to call them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I can’t get past the first wall.

Apparently I need to be in a group? Top plan there…

/sigh

That’s just for some optional quests you don’t need to go past the wall for the main plot.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Just abandon the quest and move on. The only place I remember having to be in a group is in the beginning area in Ascalon where there was one “form a Party” quest and to get the gate open to go fight Charr in the north. Just work up to the level needed to trigger the NPC that lets you join the army and prepare to be “Seared”.

(It’s nice to have a alternate character to stay in Pre-Searing Ascalon without moving on to the main part of the game. I actually made it to level 20 on a character there but only after they did away with the death-leveling method of leveling up.)

(edited by Jimson.5168)

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Outside of Presearing there are Henchmen and Heroes that you can use as party members. Except for a few missions that the AI can’t easily do, you can solo the whole game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

The group quest in pre only gives you the Res Signet anyway, which you can buy from a skill trainer once you’re out of the introductory area. I played through the vast majority of GW1 solo only grabbing groups for content that I had a tough time with alone.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh you meant going past “the northern wall”. Yeah that is just for daily missions when you are a certain level or for a few optional missions. As others have said you don’t have to do that at all. But if you want to, press “B” to open the party screen and hire a “GM” (gate monkey). This person will open the gate for you, you pay them and then they leave the party.

Good luck!

If you plan on getting lvl 20 in pre-searing I would advise buying the Fire Imp summoning stone if they still sell it, it helped me out a ton.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

If you click the search button in the party menu you can add NPC henchman, and later NPC heroes that you can customize with new gear, new spell loadouts, and custom stat weights. You build your own parties, GW1 is all about learning how to synergize NPC helpers.

I'd play GW1 but....

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh, yah. The gate monkeys lol. Just advertise in map chat, need gm X gold.

ANet may give it to you.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Just abandon the quest and move on. The only place I remember having to be in a group is in the beginning area in Ascalon where there was one “form a Party” quest and to get the gate open to go fight Charr in the north. Just work up to the level needed to trigger the NPC that lets you join the army and prepare to be “Seared”.

This gate you speak of is the problem. I shall try to give it a shot and work around it…. Cheers

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

I'd play GW1 but....

Jimson.5168

This gate you speak of is the problem. I shall try to give it a shot and work around it…. Cheers

You do not have to do any of the quests north of the gate to move on to the core game. I was too cheap to pay a gate monkey to open the gate and the only item you can get there worth anything is a Charr bag for storage. Not much else you can collect is worth taking with you and will be quickly replaced by better items.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

I’m sure some people will open the gate for free, no need to pay.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I’m sure some people will open the gate for free, no need to pay.

This. I used to GM for free, although people would generally still shove money at you for helping anyway.

I'd play GW1 but....

Jimson.5168

LOL. It’s been a long time (3yrs) since I rolled a new character in GW1. I only visit Arborstone to vanquish the area in HM for Kurzick faction. Still chasing that elusive GWAMM. 2.5 million more Kurzick will give me two more titles of the 3 I need.

I might have visited Pre-Searing Ascalon once in all that time and there were still GM hawking for GM service.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

You can always find someone to open that gate for you. First, make sure you are in the American district, that’s where most players are these days. Then just write “New to the game, could someone help me with the gate?” and you’re undoubtedly going to get some help. Outside of this first tutorial area, you are not reliant on anyone for mostly anything, as you can use Henchmen and Heroes to get through the entire game. Even some of the harder content can be done with heroes.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

I'd play GW1 but....

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not even necessary to go in there. After my first Presearing character, my other Prophesies chars left that map as soon as they got a few levels and free skills and headed off to PostSearing and the rest of the game.

ANet may give it to you.

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

If you are talking about the gate in pre-searing…. you’ve tried politely asking all chat in Ascalon City for a gate opener… and all else fails…. you can type in all chat in Ascalon City, “looking for gate monkey 100g”, and people will be scrambling to invite you to the party.
(100g in GW1 is like 1 silver in gw2)
Just make sure you pay the man after for helping you out.

If I recall correctly, you can also abandon that quest since it isn’t needed to progress through the game.

When you make it to post-searing you get heroes and henchmen to replace real people if you are truly that anti-social… but you are still in the tutorial area of the game, and you are supposed to learn how to party up with other players.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Even some of the harder content can be done with heroes.

You can change that to practically all, once you get them properly skilled and equipped. One of the main reasons the game is still very playable even with the population being lower these days.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

I'd play GW1 but....

Jimson.5168

Assassins’s Promise on my Ele made me happy… with a Discord Hero team, Sabway Team and a Paragon thrown in for 8 I did almost everything in HM but Shiro which uses a special build. (and people complain that builds in GW2 are OP… )

I'd play GW1 but....

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Assassins’s Promise on my Ele made me happy… with a Discord Hero team, Sabway Team and a Paragon thrown in for 8 I did almost everything in HM but Shiro which uses a special build. (and people complain that builds in GW2 are OP… )

You spammed the celestial skill on your ele.

I'd play GW1 but....

Jimson.5168

You spammed the celestial skill on your ele.

Of course, but you did need the correct build to solo it (with just one NPC in your party in etiher normal or hard mode). At least GW1 required you to think about how to spam a skill instead of mindlessly button mashing.